Apple asks White House not to apply tariffs to Mac Pro parts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    So just the final assembly is in the US? You can’t have your cake and eat it too Timmy.
    It's impossible to manufacture everything in the Mac Pro in the US.
    Uh, no it isn't.  It is currently cost and time prohibitive, but that's not the same as impossible.
    Nope. Impossible. Even the aluminum casing used my Apple products would be difficult to source and probably be cost prohibitive due to the US's minimal bauxite ore deposits. Can you confirm that every bit of material in every component of just the logic board on any Apple product is sourceable and manufactured by US companies on US soil? I don't think that's been the case for decades, regardless of price, but I'd love for you to drive me wrong.
    When did sourcing on U.S soil come into it? Not even your 'impossible' claim touched on that.

It is entirely possible to manufacture all of the Mac Pro in the U.S. it would cost a lot more to do so though and the final price would go up.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 42 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    YP101 said:
    Dell & HP have different story then Apple. Far as I know only Apple has assembly factory in USA.
    The other companies are rely on China. So they don't have card to play from the start.
    Only thing they can do, move to other country.

However Apple has Texas factory that can be use as assembly line for new Mac Pro.
    As long as import parts has no tariff. That's what Apple asking.

You want us to manufacturing stuff in USA then we want no tariff on imported parts. Then we will assemble the Mac Pro in USA.

The business man always in negotiation. If Apple can get no tariff for Mac Pro parts then they can keep the high margin and another marketing slogan as assembled in USA . If Trump not allow this then defend on next tariff hike, Apple adding more price for Mac Pro as new tariff added.
    For Apple, there is no lose story here.

As you all know, if you don't ask, you don't know the answer you might get.

Also one more thing.. Since when Apple produce over powered products per price ratio in the past? They never did.
    Why lots of people buy old Mac Pro case and converted to PC or hackintosh? Because the old Mac Pro case is look nice. Same as new Mac Pro.
    You want to assembled own part and running hackintosh or window then go ahead. No one stop you.. Not even Tim Cook.
    You want the new Mac Pro case then pay me... That's what Apple always said.

@YP101 ;The Austin Tx factory will no longer be used for even assembly of the Mac Pro. That was announced several weeks ago and there was an article written here at AI on the subject at the time. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    So just the final assembly is in the US? You can’t have your cake and eat it too Timmy.
    Uh, no it isn't.  It is currently cost and time prohibitive, but that's not the same as impossible.
    Nope. Impossible. Even the aluminum casing used my Apple products would be difficult to source and probably be cost prohibitive due to the US's minimal bauxite ore deposits. Can you confirm that every bit of material in every component of just the logic board on any Apple product is sourceable and manufactured by US companies on US soil? I don't think that's been the case for decades, regardless of price, but I'd love for you to drive me wrong.
    When did sourcing on U.S soil come into it? Not even your 'impossible' claim touched on that.

It is entirely possible to manufacture all of the Mac Pro in the U.S. it would cost a lot more to do so though and the final price would go up.
    Clearly it did since you’re mentioning it. If you think final assembly of a few large components without and consideration for dozens of counties and hundreds of foreign companies that go into creating anything that is assembled in US means that that’s an entirely a US-made device then you’re foolish. And that’s before we even get to licenses and other elements that are paid to international companies, like ARM’s tech in many chips inside Apple’s CE, including the Mac Pro. For someone that's bought and paid for by Huawei you sure don't like accepting the worldwide level of innovation and effort that goes into modern CE.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:
    Impossible? Of course not. Just more expensive.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    GymWGymW Posts: 2member
    Given Apple's extreme pricing of it, including obscene pricing for SSD's & RAM w/ proprietary connectors, let them pay! Till now all Mac Pro's have been made in the US & the only reason I can fathom to manufacture in China  is higher profits - i.e.: "myopic greed" (short term extreme profits vs long term sustainability w/ reasonable profit margin resulting in customer loyalty & long term acceptance). Frankly, given its price point, with similar machines using other OS selling for around 1/2 the price and using industry standard connectors, I would not be disappointed to see it 'go down in flames' due to its price & lack of industry compatibility for RAM, SSD's & GPU's. Don't bother discussing 5-6K for a 5K monitor & $1000.00 for a monitor stand.

Given its likely profit margins from this machine I am perfectly fine with Apple giving the our Government 25% if its manufacturing costs as I suspect they have very little 'wiggle room' in which to raise the price even higher.
    ElCapitan
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

Clearly it did since you’re mentioning it. If you think final assembly of a few large components without and consideration for dozens of counties and hundreds of foreign companies that go into creating anything that is assembled in US means that that’s an entirely a US-made device then you’re foolish. And that’s before we even get to licenses and other elements that are paid to international companies, like ARM’s tech in many chips inside Apple’s CE, including the Mac Pro. For someone that's bought and paid for by Huawei you sure don't like accepting the worldwide level of innovation and effort that goes into modern CE.
    It came up only because you tried to create a new base for your argument. 

It really isn't difficult to see. If it can be manufactured in China it can be manufactured in the U.S. It would simply cost a lot more.

Forget licences and other elements. They are irrelevant to the point.

• Reply 47 of 53
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

It really isn't difficult to see. If it can be manufactured in China it can be manufactured in the U.S. It would simply cost a lot more.

The point of all the superficial desires for Made in USA is jingoism. It's about keeping any of the revenue and profits in the US and out of the hands of foreigners, but it's no more Made in the USA than when I've bought off the shelf components made in other countries and did final assembly on US soil.

But more to the point, it's not feasible from a cost perspective to even try to do everything in the US and it's literally impossible in the 21st century. Very few countries have direct access to all the natural resources, the man power, and knowhow to do it all in-house. Even the relatively low-volume Mac Pro couldn't keep up with final assembly in the US.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

The point of all the superficial desires for Made in USA is jingoism. It's about keeping any of the revenue and profits in the US and out of the hands of foreigners, but it's no more Made in the USA than when I've bought off the shelf components made in other countries and did final assembly on US soil.

But more to the point, it's not feasible from a cost perspective to even try to do everything in the US and it's literally impossible in the 21st century. Very few countries have direct access to all the natural resources, the man power, and knowhow to do it all in-house. Even the relatively low-volume Mac Pro couldn't keep up with final assembly in the US.
    No one needs direct access to all the natural resources or technology.

That is not what manufacturing means when we speak about where macs or iPhones are made.

Apple could bring it all the the U.S but it would cost a lot. In no way is it impossible. It just doesn't make a lot of sense because, as you now admit, it is not feasible to do so but 'feasible' and 'impossible' are different things.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

That is not what manufacturing means when we speak about where macs or iPhones are made.

Apple could bring it all the the U.S but it would cost a lot. In no way is it impossible. It just doesn't make a lot of sense because, as you now admit, it is not feasible to do so but 'feasible' and 'impossible' are different things.
    Nope. Impossible. The logic board on all these devices contain components that are made all over the world by non-US companies. Even the final assembly of most of the components that go into other components have zero US presence for its specific assembly, even when talking about an American multinational conglomerate like 3M.

edited July 2019
  • Reply 50 of 53
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

Nope. Impossible. The logic board on all these devices contain components that are made all over the world by non-US companies. Even the final assembly of most of the components that go into other components have zero US presence for its specific assembly, even when talking about an American multinational conglomerate like 3M.

Why do you insist that it’s impossible?  Twenty five years ago you could have said the same thing about China.  Impossible today perhaps.  Not in a couple of years though with the right investments in plant, equipment and personnel.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    JWSC said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

Why do you insist that it’s impossible?  Twenty five years ago you could have said the same thing about China.  Impossible today perhaps.  Not in a couple of years though with the right investments in plant, equipment and personnel.
    I insist it's not possible because it's not possible. That isn't to say that it wasn't possible in the past or that it can't be possible in the future, but you'd have to move a lot of mountains to get to some closed door policy that would keep all revenue and profit from Apple's creations from leaving the US. I don't see that he only way I can see this happening is Apple reducing their sals so much that the US actually makes financial sense and I don't want to see that happen. We're a global economy and we're better for it. Why is that so offensive to accept?
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Okay, there's something strange about this.

The filing is based on Mac Pro components. 

If you were making the Mac Pro in the United States, this would be important, since you would be importing those parts.

If you were making the Mac Pro in China, this would not even be worth asking about, since those parts would never be imported, just the complete machine.

So since the Mac Pro is supposedly being made in China, why are they asking for the right to import parts?

Does this mean production might be moved to the USA if the new machine is popular enough?  One wonders why, since I don't think most Mac Pro customers care.

• Reply 53 of 53
    JWSC said:
    Let me continue from my previous post! A lot of low budget pros have been loyal to Apple and are constantly disappointed with their products mainly the cost! Tim Cook is greedy. He raised the prices of iPhone without a concern of how it w0ould effect the customer! I will not be able to buy a new Mac Pro and definitely not their overpriced monitor with a $999 stand! What an insult to your customers! Thanks!

Hmmm.  ‘Low budget’ and ‘pro’ mixed in the same sentence.  Seems a tad oxymoronic if you ask me.

OK, so you’re a small business of one, maybe just getting started and so you’ve got serious budget constraints.  Got it.  But once you’re established with a good revenue stream, $5-10K should be a drop in the annual operating budget.

If this is your f***ing business then you really ought to be prepared to plonk down what it takes to be competitive.  Otherwise, you won’t be around long.  Sorry.  I hope it all works out.

YOU ARE CORRECT TO A POINT BUT YOU CAN NOT BLOW YOUR BUDGET ON THIS OVER-PRICED AND UNDER-POWERED BASE MODEL. APPLE IS INSANE! THIS IS NOT MODULAR AS PREVIOUSLY ADVERTISED. IT IS EXPANDABLE BUT NOT MODULAR. This is not what we asked for! This is Apple trying to appear as if they are listening but they are not. This is not impressive at all. It is a waste of 2 years waiting for something innovative from a noninnovative company. Apple wants to go into services so just do it. Apple is just moving in the Tim Cook view of technology. Create very little, update even less, and overcharge the customers. Just the way it is!