Apple begins limiting Apple Music free trial period to one month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
A banner ad recently posted to Apple's website suggests the company might soon change Apple Music's free trial period from a generous three months down to one for new users.

Apple Music Trial

The ad, which anchors the Accessories page on Apple's Online Store, contains text referencing a new one-month Apple Music tryout term.

"Millions of songs. One month on us," the ad reads.

Clicking on the graphic directs users to an iTunes webpage that reiterates the one-month term, including a dedicated initiation button that reads, "Get 1 Month Free." Links in iTunes also direct to the one-month offer, though some ads on social media platforms and others strewn across the internet either directly reference Apple Music's longstanding three-month trial or point to an iTunes page that echoes the legacy three-month, no-commitment offer.

While not confirmed, the policy change could be rolling out by region, as some users are no longer capable of signing up for a three-month trial. Others, however, still have access to the original offer through both iTunes and the Music app on iOS.

MacRumors reported on the banner ad earlier today.

The updated terms mark the first change to Apple's streaming music subscription structure since the service launched in 2015. Designed to draw in new users, the three-month, no-obligation trial was among the most generous from the world's major streaming services. By contrast, Spotify presents new users a 30-day free trial to its premium tier, while Pandora provides similar incentives for its for-pay product.

Over the past two years, however, Apple Music has quickly cemented its status as a leading streaming provider. According to Apple's most recent numbers released in June, Apple Music boasts 60 million paying subscribers. A far cry from Spotify's 100 million subscriber count, Apple Music is growing more rapidly than its competing market leader and is in control of key countries like the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple needs a lower price point. Limit the hours or something. I don't hardly use Apple music and yet pay the same as someone that may have it on 10 hours daily.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    3 months is generous for a trial.  Apparently, paying those royalties but not getting income must be taking a toll on Apple's BILLIONS of dollars in cash they have.

I think if you buy a new iPhone or Mac computer, you should get a free year of Apple Music.  
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    LOL.  I've known about Apple Music's first 3 months free deal since the debut, but I've never had any desire to try it.  Why?  I've always been happy to buy music, and I'm not a big fan of the modern stuff coming out anyway.  This is probably true of many people in my age group (48 and up).  Then again, I don't even own AirPods, so I'm clearly not a huge music fan.  Even so, I'm curious as to the average age of Apple Music users.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    jbdragon said:
    Apple needs a lower price point. Limit the hours or something. I don't hardly use Apple music and yet pay the same as someone that may have it on 10 hours daily.
    Should people that watch TV half of every day pay more than those that watch just an hour or two a day?  Be careful what you ask for.  Paying per song or per TV show would ruin the whole experience.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jbdragon said:
    Limit the hours?  Like AOL's original service of only 5 hours a month?  If you hardly use it, then why are you wasting your money paying for something you rarely use?  Sounds like you just bought it to try and be cool, yet never use it.
    ITGUYINSDchasmuraharazroger73
  • Reply 6 of 25

ITGUYINSD said:
    I think if you buy a new iPhone or Mac computer, you should get a free year of Apple Music.  
    That's funny considering people spend over $1,000 for a phone and Apple cannot even provide a $9 dongle to connect headphones, or provide a USB-C to lightning cable.  Good luck on Apple giving away Apple Music for a year.
    ITGUYINSD80s_Apple_Guyfreethinking1STnTENDERBITSchemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 25

jdw said:
    LOL.  I've known about Apple Music's first 3 months free deal since the debut, but I've never had any desire to try it.  Why?  I've always been happy to buy music, and I'm not a big fan of the modern stuff coming out anyway.  This is probably true of many people in my age group (48 and up).  Then again, I don't even own AirPods, so I'm clearly not a huge music fan.  Even so, I'm curious as to the average age of Apple Music users.
    The average age of Apple Music users are millennials because Mommy and Daddy pay for it.  I don't have AirPods because I would rather have headphones that offer high quality sound, and sound quality is not a top priority for their earbuds or AirPods.  Their discontinued in-ear headphones had fantastic sound, but they kept working their way out of my ears, and then the left one stopped working.  I, like you, would rather OWN my music, not rent it.  I get CDs for free from my local library and I also buy CDs, new and used, from Amazon from my favorite artists.  I prefer to rip the CD at a higher quality for convenience, but also still have the CD for uncompressed sound quality.  The average age of Apple Music users grew up listening to lousy MP3 files.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    jbdragon said:
    I don’t drive much, so I don’t understand why I have to pay they same registration fees as someone who drives 300 miles a week. 
    AppleExposedradarthekatchasm1STnTENDERBITSbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

ITGUYINSD said:
    That's funny considering people spend over $1,000 for a phone and Apple cannot even provide a $9 dongle to connect headphones, or provide a USB-C to lightning cable.  Good luck on Apple giving away Apple Music for a year.
    They can, they just choose not to. If you need a dongle, you can buy one. But many choose to go wireless instead, so there's no reason for them to include a dongle in every box. It has nothing to do with greed and everything to do with Apple's philosophy of minimalism, which is absolutely nothing new. If you spend $1K on a phone, it's hilarious to whine about a $9 adapter. I wouldn't provide one either if I was them. There's also zero reason for Apple to give away Apple music for a year. There's a lot of things Apple CAN do with the loads of cash they have, doesn't mean they should. Giving stuff away also devalues them in people's eyes, and makes them believe they're not worth anything. 
    AppleExposeduraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    jbdragon said:
    New dumbest comment I've seen on the forums.

If you're not using the service enough to justify the cost in your mind, cancel it. You can do this at any time, but ... since you don't seem to have a good understanding of the point of it anyway, so I'd suggest you cancel it anyway and go back to free internet radio or buying select songs or whatever you did before.
    space2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    jdw said:
    1. Just because someone uses a streaming service does not mean they don't buy music. If anything, Apple Music makes me buy more music than I used to, because I find interesting new artists via the "For You" section. I like hardcopies of music I intend to listen to repeatedly.

2. Spoken like a person who hasn't tried it at all. Don't like new stuff? Doesn't matter -- there's 45M+ songs in there. Prefer Luciano Pavarotti or Hank Williams or John Coltrane or Tony Bennet or Van Morrison to DJ Khalid or Katy Perry? No problem, it's all there. Apple Music is MOST DEFINITELY not for only people who like current trends in music, and since you tell it your tastes in music, you don't see most of that stuff anyway. Why are you so afraid of giving it a try?

3. I'm slightly older than you, and I love the shit out of Apple Music.

4. I have three (or four, actually) different headphones. AirPods are amazing but they are "walkin' around" buds, not "serious listening" cans. I have a noise-cancelling set of headphones for air travel, a "flat as possible" reference set for deep listening, an over-ear set with good sound for casual home use, and then AirPods for my walks.

I'm sure the average Apple Music (and Spotify) user is younger than we are by quite a bit, but that's because older people like yourself have a lot of misconceptions about how it works, and are mysteriously afraid of giving it a (completely free) spin. The first time you ask Siri to play you some early Pink Floyd or a specific album you don't already own, or just "some sad songs from the Sixties," you will *get it* with this whole streaming thing.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobraAppleZulu
  • Reply 12 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    jdw said:

I’m 47 and still listen to new music. For someone like me who listens to music all the time (have several AirPlay speakers set up all over the house) it is definitely worth the $10/month. Even more so considering I like pretty much like all genres of music and would cost me a fortune to purchase 1% of what I listen to.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:

I’m 47 and still listen to new music. For someone like me who listens to music all the time (have several AirPlay speakers set up all over the house) it is definitely worth the $10/month. Even more so considering I like pretty much like all genres of music and would cost me a fortune to purchase 1% of what I listen to.
    "New" and "Music" is an oxymoron.  Mostly it's a single, lonely, monotone voice backed by Thump-Thump.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jdw said:
    There is ton of older music from many different genre's on AM.... I am 45 just for reference..  They ( Apple ) recently added some live albums from 2000 that I attended.. These Discs are out of print at this point and the originals that I owned were damaged years prior so I didn't have good copies anymore. It was amazing to see them pop up recommended for me. 

As far as modern stuff  there are albums that are fun to listen to for a month or three, but not really needed for my permanent collection. I have 15k songs from my own collection in Itunes match as well. So I don't mind letting these artists make some money from my streams for however long I listen to their stuff.  I have a family plan so my GF same age as me uses AM every day, as well as my old brother who is 56.. he is a HUGE Parliment Funkadelic fan.. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:

"New" and "Music" is an oxymoron.  Mostly it's a single, lonely, monotone voice backed by Thump-Thump.
    That isn't true.. that may be what gets radio play, but that isn't all that is being produced. I guess it all depends on my much time you spend trying new music and searching genre's. 
    GeorgeBMacAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:

Grumpy old guy much?
    macguiAppleZulu
  • Reply 17 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    IreneW said:
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:

Grumpy old guy much?
    Yeh.   So, did you have a point?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    jbdragon said:
    Heck, if you use iTunes gift cards from Costco and other places and purchase a year, it works out to be a little over $7 per month for unlimited access on demand to everything.  How much lower would you expect them to go?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member

mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:

Again, no one should be paying $10 a month.  Student is $4.99 and the rest can be paying a couple bucks more.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

ITGUYINSD said:
    I thought dongles were bad? Everyone said so and now we're whining that they don't come in the box?

jdw said:
    The average age of Apple Music users are millennials because Mommy and Daddy pay for it.  I don't have AirPods because I would rather have headphones that offer high quality sound, and sound quality is not a top priority for their earbuds or AirPods.  Their discontinued in-ear headphones had fantastic sound, but they kept working their way out of my ears, and then the left one stopped working.  I, like you, would rather OWN my music, not rent it.  I get CDs for free from my local library and I also buy CDs, new and used, from Amazon from my favorite artists.  I prefer to rip the CD at a higher quality for convenience, but also still have the CD for uncompressed sound quality.  The average age of Apple Music users grew up listening to lousy MP3 files.

I want AirPods because high end headphones suck for working out. See, I can do that too.
    watto_cobra