CBS All Access debuts in Apple TV Channels on July 29

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2019
CBS' streaming service, CBS All Access, will arrive on Apple TV Channels in late July, granting cord cutters using Apple devices the ability subscribe and enjoy content from the popular broadcaster's library.

Apple TV Channels

The upcoming availability was quietly announced in a post to the streaming service's official Twitter account on Thursday.

"Hi! Thank you again for your interest! We wanted to update you and let you know that the CBS All Access Channel will launch on Apple TV Channels on 7/29! Happy streaming!" according to the tweet.

The tweet was first spotted by 9to5Mac.

Apple mentioned CBS All Access by name when it unveiled Apple TV Channels at a special event in March, saying customers would be able to access the service as an la carte subscription option. When the feature launched with iOS 12, however, CBS All Access and a number of other promised content providers were not immediately integrated.

Apple ultimately launched Apple TV Channels alongside iOS 12.3 and tvOS 12.3 with support for Cinemax, EPIX, HBO, MTV Hits, Showtime, Smithsonian, Starz and Tastemade.

Apple TV Channels debuted as part of a reworking of the Apple TV app. With Channels, users are able to subscribe to and watch over-the-stop streaming services directly in the Apple TV app. The streamlined system replaces one that required customers to manage subscriptions through third-party apps run by content providers.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    I lost interest at “subscribe”. You can bet it’s not free. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mercel said:
    Free or pay for TV?  
    I lost interest at “subscribe”. You can bet it’s not free. 
    Yeah, subscribe typically means pay on a regular interim.
    JWSCn2itivguy
  • Reply 4 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    Sucks to be the consumer these days. 

For a while it seemed things were we’re lining up nicely to ditch the greedy cable companies and get great new tech deals with just a couple providers. 

Now all the content tent is broken up as everyone and their mom are doing their own service. 

Cbs sucks outside of a couple properties. No thanks. Disney + just killed a great value in Netflix, Apple doing their own, etc. sheesh. By the time you’re done, you spend more than cable. 

It’s like music prior to iTunes. A mess. 

And there is no one to fix it anymore. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 5 of 21
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

For a while it seemed things were we’re lining up nicely to ditch the greedy cable companies and get great new tech deals with just a couple providers. 

Now all the content tent is broken up as everyone and their mom are doing their own service. 

Cbs sucks outside of a couple properties. No thanks. Disney + just killed a great value in Netflix, Apple doing their own, etc. sheesh. By the time you’re done, you spend more than cable. 

And now NBC/Comcast announced their own service starting in 2020. I keep thinking imagine if every nig name record label had their own streaming service instead of nearly everything being available on AM, Spotify, Google ect. It would suck. I guess the TV and movie industry sees how the music industry is in a world of hurt and says they’re not going down that route.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

I can't imagine how you or anyone else thought that by getting rid of large packages from cable companies you'd end up with all that same content for free or a heavily reduced cost. That's not how à la carte or piece mealing works in a market.
    1STnTENDERBITSbeowulfschmidtGeorgeBMacpscooter63n2itivguy
  • Reply 7 of 21

And now NBC/Comcast announced their own service starting in 2020. I keep thinking imagine if every nig name record label had their own streaming service instead of nearly everything being available on AM, Spotify, Google ect. It would suck. I guess the TV and movie industry sees how the music industry is in a world of hurt and says they’re not going down that route.
    Why are you posting about NBC having a streaming service like it's something they've never done? As far as I can tell Comcast still owns 1/3 of Hulu.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Soli said:

Why are you posting about NBC having a streaming service like it's something they've never done? As far as I can tell Comcast still owns 1/3 of Hulu.
    Actually Disney is buying out 100% of Hulu: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/business/media/disney-hulu-comcast.html

Announced in May.
    davgregJWSCn2itivguy
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Soli said:
    As far as I can tell Comcast still owns 1/3 of Hulu.
    Technically yes, Comcast still owns a third of Hulu.  They are simply a stock holder though.  Disney has operational control.  
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/05/14/disney-gains-immediate-operational-control-of-hulu-with-full-92-billion-buyout-by-2024

It never seemed like things were lining up like that.  Almost everyone knew this was going to be the eventual outcome.  There was never going to be any other outcome but this.  We also know that once erbody and they momma launch their streaming service, most of them will eventually fail and get acquired.  We'll have the inevitable market contraction and be back to the industry being controlled by a few players.  @Soli is right.  A-la-carte was never going to be a thing.  Same type of thing happened with the breakups of Bell and Standard Oil.  
    Solipscooter63JWSCn2itivguy
  • Reply 10 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm getting subscriptionitis.
    edited July 2019 GeorgeBMacJWSC
  • Reply 11 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Will any of these services offer something that I actually want to watch?  

So far, the answer is no to all -- including the "old" bundled cable stuff.
    The old AOL-TimeWarner merger offered the promise of integrating conventional computer offerings with conventional TV offerings.  But since that died I see this stuff as just variations on a theme rather than something revolutionary.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    nicholfd said:
    Soli said:

Actually Disney is buying out 100% of Hulu: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/business/media/disney-hulu-comcast.html

Announced in May.
    1STnTENDERBITS's link shows that the full buyout won't happen for 5 more years. But regardless, my larger point is that NBC has already been in this game for 13 years with Hulu. Maybe they've lost all their IP and maybe they're restricted to certain types of competition with this deal to Disney, but I doubt they've lost everyone involved with the knowhow to create another service.

Personally, I have a Hulu subscription and pay for the ad-free option. Those are reasonable monthly cost to me, especially considering how many shows are available the day after they air on broadcast television and how many have full seasons and/or series available. What I don't find personally reasonable are the costs for all their other options. It's been well over a decade since I've paid for cable TV but this seems pricey. Unless you really only watch a very limited number of shows or a very select type of show that can steer you toward a very specific streaming service there's a high potential for paying more than you were before for the same type of services… and this is before we factor in cable companies broadband internet service providers charging us a premium for opting to only have internet and not a TV being piped into our homes.

n2itivguy
  • Reply 13 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    I really don’t get all the whining. You like your fat all-you-can-eat cable buffet? Keep it. But like Jon Snow, I don’t want it. So for us, picking & choosing the very few pieces of streamed content we want makes way more sense. I have no idea why those lamenting are assuming viewers must subscribe to every possible service. That’s absurd. It is absolutely cheaper for me to hit up a couple services at a time than paying for 60 or 100 channels of slop.  

Our only mainstay is Netflix. After that we may do HBO (typically around GoT & a couple other concurrent shows, movies), or Starz for the American Gods season and some movies, etc. Then we pick up any other shows we want from iTunes. I imagine this consumer behavior of turning services on & off is becoming common if not common already. If one is simply a mass consumer of content then a bundled service like cable is very likely the better choice.
    edited July 2019 mld53apscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 21
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    We will get a la carte after the shakeout, but it will take a season.

Disney, AT&T and Comcast are debt bombs waiting to explode. The number I saw most recently attached to AT&T was debt of roughly $175 Billion (US). It used to take a politician to spend money like that. Disney is carrying $54 Billion in debt and Comcast $115 Billion.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/features/att-disney-comcast-debt-1203107407/

• Reply 15 of 21
    davgreg said:
    We will get a la carte after the shakeout, but it will take a season.

Disney, AT&T and Comcast are debt bombs waiting to explode. The number I saw most recently attached to AT&T was debt of roughly $175 Billion (US). It used to take a politician to spend money like that. Disney is carrying $54 Billion in debt and Comcast $115 Billion.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/features/att-disney-comcast-debt-1203107407/

You're trying to conflate the companies' debt with the possibility of a-la-carte?  Why?  A failure of one or all of those companies would only lead to consolidation of their assets by another company with a smaller debt load.  You're not getting a-la-carte.  You were never getting a-la-carte.  That's been nothing more than a pipe dream of a misguided few.
    gatorguypscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Apple tried to fix this but no one cooperated.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 17 of 21
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So CBS wants to charge people for commercial filled content, how interesting. 

They are in the middle of fight with Directv, and decided to cut off all their content to Directv including local channels you can get over the air if you have an antenna. Directv pays CBS $1.5B for access to their ad filled content and they want Directv to pay $2.6B starting next year since they think their content is worth so much. Directv will not agree since they would just pass it along to consumers, so CBS cut them off.

I have no problem paying for Netflix streaming to watch movies, it was always the better option than renting VHS/DVD. But to pay for content filled with ads it making everyone pay twice. Keep in mind companies that advertise on TV pass those cost onto consumers.

I remember the days the only reason you had Cable was due to the fact you could not get content over the air for various reason and they charged a small fee. Then they add HBO and MTV to get people to pay more and the reason people agreed to pay more was for commercial free content. Today you pay lots of money for cable/SAT and you're also getting content filled with commercials. Now we have streaming and its promise was the original cable idea with HBO, but that did not hold, they want to pay for streaming and still get ads. Everyone do not forget, you are also paying for high speed internet on top of this and the cable companies want to throttle your speed if you watching something they do not like. Back in the day this would be like being charged for the use of air waves the TV signal would use to get to your home.
  • Reply 18 of 21

Yeah they did try to fix and create competition for consumers. The solution Apple was putting forward was to eliminated Cable company specific Set Top Boxes, and allow consumers to subscribe to any content provider/aggregator (cable company) anywhere in the US as long as you had a broadband connection. They would have eliminated the issue of people only have the local company as choice. Comcast killed this when they attempted to buy Time Warner in the middle of the Apple deal. 

based on what we saw with the ebook case, if Apple pulled off the TV deal and set low consistent pricing, they would have been sued as it happen in ebook since lots of people would have lost their big profits.
    Soli
  • Reply 19 of 21
    maestro64 said:

based on what we saw with the ebook case, if Apple pulled off the TV deal and set low consistent pricing, they would have been sued as it happen in ebook since lots of people would have lost their big profits.
    I'm still annoyed by that. Apple's hands aren't clean and there are plenty of things in which they should be fined for unfair or unethical practices , but the eBook case is not one of those things. How did Amazon both dodge that bullet and point it at Apple? If my timeline is correct, it's because of that case that Apple started using lobbyists and working with politicians more.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Soli said:
    maestro64 said:

I'm still annoyed by that. Apple's hands aren't clean and there are plenty of things in which they should be fined for unfair or unethical practices , but the eBook case is not one of those things. How did Amazon both dodge that bullet and point it at Apple? If my timeline is correct, it's because of that case that Apple started using lobbyists and working with politicians more.
    Apple lost and Amazon won for one and only one reason. Antitrust looks at consumer benefit, would consumers pay more. Since Amazon sold books some times at a loss and under the Apple model this would not be allowed, the FTC saw pricing going up and this is bad. 

In the overall irony of this, the DOJ is now going go after Amazon for the exact same practice of selling at loss which won the ebook case, now it is seen as anti-competitive and driving other companies out of business. The difference now is the fact Amazon is not paying any corporate taxes and this is hot button issue today and the government can not go after Amazon for not paying taxes since Government created the rules Amazon is using not to pay taxes. Amazon is now the big bad company selling cheap stuff putting other companies out of business who were paying taxes.
    edited July 2019