Mac Pro won't get China tariff waiver, says President Trump

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    kestral said:
    Apple should STFU and pay their damn tariffs.
    What you’re really saying is that American purchasers  should pay more.
    Short term pain for long term gain? Doesn't sound like a bad trade-off. 

Besides, who here is buying that machine anyway? It's for enterprise not consumers. 
    JWSCchemengin1airnerdanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 22 of 77
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    It’s unacceptable that Apple should be caught so unprepared when this President made his intentions very clear about trade with China before and after the election. Apple should’ve been making plans for alternative suppliers and had those plans in place by now. It’s just plain tunnel vision.
    As if Trump is that predictable. I'm sure you saw every single thing coming from a mile away. Meanwhile, no one in the tech industry has made a single move to avoid this because no one knows what Trump is talking about including Trump.
    Solidewmekantxlordjohnwhorfin[Deleted User]macxpressyoyo2222muthuk_vanalingambrertechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

tzeshan said:
    I want to know where are those Windows PCs and servers made? Are they made in USA? 
    Some are assembled in the US. Nearly every part for every manufacturer comes from China.
    Does HP get tariff exemptions? If not, then this is a fair game. Every Americans should bear the cost of expensive PCs and servers. 
    williamlondonchemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 77
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    kestral said:
    What I'm really saying is Apple should STFU and pay their damn tariffs.
    edited July 2019 chemengin1airnerdhmurchison
  • Reply 25 of 77
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Settle down. Take a breath, and re-read the forum rules.
    lordjohnwhorfinyoyo2222watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 77
    kestral said:
    kestral said:
    You already know that Apple won't absorb the tariffs. Prices will climb for consumers not just for Apple, but across the board for iPhones, Android phones, PCs, and Macs.

Prices will increase across the board as companies increase pricing to offset the tariffs. This will be industry-wide.
    edited July 2019 GeorgeBMacSolipbruttoviclauyycJWSCdewmelordjohnwhorfinbrertechwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 27 of 77
    kestral said:
    kestral said:
    You already know that Apple won't absorb the tariffs. Prices will climb for consumers not just for Apple, but across the board for iPhones, Android phones, PCs, and Macs.
    I think this how Trump administration play the tariff game with Americans. Most government entities are using Windows PCs and servers. Trump increases next year federal budget by $330 billions. I think a lot of them is due to increased cost of purchasing Windows PCs and servers. So our federal government will not hurt because of tariffs. 
  • Reply 28 of 77
    EphraimEphraim Posts: 12member
    Ship the parts to Austin and install the case here. Both of my Mac Pro's were Made in America.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Does Trump forbid federal agencies use Windows PCs and servers made from China? 
  • Reply 30 of 77
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    Ephraim said:
    Ship the parts to Austin and install the case here. Both of my Mac Pro's were Made in America.
    There'd still be tariffs imposed on the incoming parts and assemblies - tariffs are not limited to end-products.
    viclauyycAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 77
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    kestral said:
    WE pay those tariffs, not Apple.   Apple is just the middleman.
    viclauyycJWSCbrertech
  • Reply 32 of 77
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    gatorguy said:
    kestral said:

Besides, who here is buying that machine anyway? It's for enterprise not consumers. 
    There is no "long term gain" in this particular scenario.  Tariffs only hurt China if it forces the consumer to choose an alternative not made in their country, and if this caliber of a computer is what enterprise requires then they're the ones paying the tariff (indirectly).  China still wins, US government gets the tariff money, enterprise (and consumer) lose.
    viclauyyclordjohnwhorfinyoyo2222brertechwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 33 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    kestral said:

You meant to say:  "Short term pain for longer term increased pain" right?   Everybody loses in tariff wars...

The Free Market ultimately decides who does the best, quickest and cheapest work and moves there.  The Free Market spoke.  But some are unhappy about that.
    randominternetpersonlordjohnwhorfinbrertechurahara
  • Reply 34 of 77
    cmd-z said:
    Ephraim said:
    There'd still be tariffs imposed on the incoming parts and assemblies - tariffs are not limited to end-products.
    This link might better explain what it all means, how end user prices should actually be impacted, and whether "assembled in the US" makes any difference in the tariff costs. 
    https://macrofab.com/blog/decoding-tariff-impacts-us-electronics-manufacturing/
  • Reply 35 of 77
    kestral said:
    It won't make the Apple end-product you purchase 25% more expensive. See the link in my preceding post. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 36 of 77
    kestral said:
    Trus. Apple is a business to make profit. If it cannot make enough profit selling Mac Pro it will simply cease producing it no matter it is made in USA or China. 
    Soliurahara
  • Reply 37 of 77
    tzeshan said:
    No.
    JWSC
  • Reply 38 of 77
    gatorguy said:
    kestral said:
    It won't make the Apple end-product you purchase 25% more expensive. See the link in my preceding post. 
    Nice strawman you knocked down there! 
  • Reply 39 of 77
    tzeshan said:
    No.
    Further analysis shows that although Trump will increase federal budget by $330 billions partly due to increased cost of purchasing Windows PCs and servers make from China, it is compensated due to the tariffs collected. So it is the private Americans bearing the cost of higher tariffs. 
  • Reply 40 of 77
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    Who cares that there are tariffs on Apple Mac Pro parts.  So Apple raises the price 25% (or some factor that includes the China-made parts).  Surely Pixar can afford the added cost!  
This discussion has been closed.