Apple Card to launch in first half of August

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Here's something I would like to see from Apple:   A prepaid debit card that can be used for ApplePay.   I would very much like to open up ApplePay for my 12 year old grandson but hesitate to give him an open ended credit card.   A prepaid debit card could fill that bill well -- where I could fund it in various ways:  Transfer my cashback rewards to it, as a monthly allowance, or even as rewards for good grades, etc....
    You can Apple Pay Cash him a balance to use from his AP virtual card.
    What is an "AP virtual card"?   I don't know what that is...

My impression is that without a credit or debit card you can't have an ApplePay account and, without an ApplePay account you can't receive ApplePay Cash.  What am I missing there?
    The virtual card is the black Apple Cash "card" that lives in the Wallet app, which can be used at AP terminals in retailers. 

As for the second, I'm pretty sure you can send your Apple Cash balance to a checking bank account number, so I don't know that a card is required. You'll have to try it and see.
    edited July 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I'll bite....   The standard 2% from ApplePay will be nice, but not a panacea as I'm getting 1.5% now.   For the rest of the benefits...   Meh...   I manage my finances using Quicken far better and far tighter than anything the AppleCard will provide -- so I will likely just ignore those other servies/benefits.

My plan is:  I will downgrade my main Chase card to paying recurring charges which will put my underperforming PNC card into retirement (I won't close it out however).  I'll use my Discover Card (which has a really nice benefit of ID Theft protection) for things like PayPal and also take advantage of its quarterly 5% cash back offers.   And the Apple card will become my main card -- of which 90-95% will flow through ApplePay.

I'll give it a go and see how it flies....
    I use Banktivity, which interacts with banks using the Quicken protocol, and I’ll be waiting to see if the Apple Card will support direct downloads of charge items. If not, they’ll all have to be entered manually, which may be a deal-breaker.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'll bite....   The standard 2% from ApplePay will be nice, but not a panacea as I'm getting 1.5% now.   For the rest of the benefits...   Meh...   I manage my finances using Quicken far better and far tighter than anything the AppleCard will provide -- so I will likely just ignore those other servies/benefits.

My plan is:  I will downgrade my main Chase card to paying recurring charges which will put my underperforming PNC card into retirement (I won't close it out however).  I'll use my Discover Card (which has a really nice benefit of ID Theft protection) for things like PayPal and also take advantage of its quarterly 5% cash back offers.   And the Apple card will become my main card -- of which 90-95% will flow through ApplePay.

I'll give it a go and see how it flies....
    I use Banktivity, which interacts with banks using the Quicken protocol, and I’ll be waiting to see if the Apple Card will support direct downloads of charge items. If not, they’ll all have to be entered manually, which may be a deal-breaker.
    It doesn't look like Marcus from Goldman Sachs allows for downloads yet so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't available out of the gate for the Apple Card.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Makes sense this would be up and running before the September event. But Summer means something very specific, so I will not be surprised if this remains unlaunched on 8/16. 
  • Reply 25 of 53
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    I use the DoubleCash (2%) card for most of my charges. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 x miles) for restaurants and travel (flights, cruises, taxis, Lyft and National Car Rentals). I use the AmEx Hilton Surpass card for my Hilton hotel stays ( bonus of 12 points per dollar) and supermarket purchases (6 points per dollar). I use the Citi Costco card for gas purchases (4%) and all Costco purchases. 

So now I will sign up for the Apple Card in order to get 3% for Apple on line purchases instead of just 2%. The physical card’s 1% is not conducive to using it for off line purchases. 
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 26 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    zimmie said:
    A question on the cash back thingee:   I understand you can have that applied daily.  But can you let it accumulate like other cards?   I kind of like the latter:   For instance I just used my cash back from my Discover card to pay for most of the cost of new 128Gb Xr iPhone for my grandson.   That's a nice way to do it.
    The way Apple has described it, the cash back gets put into your Apple Cash card in Wallet. It's a bank account with Green Dot. It can accumulate as long as you want, and can be used via Apple Pay, or can be transferred to another bank and withdrawn as cash.

As for the reloadable prepaid debit card option, I doubt any are available. You may want to look at banks which offer UGMA accounts. Those are sort of what you're asking about, but for stocks and other capital investments. If there's a separate debit equivalent, they might know more about it.
    Thanks!  That's very interesting.   I'll have to look into that.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    riverko said:
    I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat: make it contactless, Apple!

That has become mainstream in many parts of the world, and is starting to get rolled out in a big way in the US -- e.g., Capital One, Chase, Amex etc. are now offering it.
    I always thought Apple Pay is contactless...
    You forgot your /sarcasm tag.

Yeah, and I had always thought that not all 100% Apple consumers use iPhones.

/s
  • Reply 28 of 53
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Here's something I would like to see from Apple:   A prepaid debit card that can be used for ApplePay.   I would very much like to open up ApplePay for my 12 year old grandson but hesitate to give him an open ended credit card.   A prepaid debit card could fill that bill well -- where I could fund it in various ways:  Transfer my cashback rewards to it, as a monthly allowance, or even as rewards for good grades, etc....

I thought Apple Cash worked like this.

Does his name have to be on the card? Why not just open a second account with your name on it and authorize him to use it. I've never done this myself but it has to be possible.

Where I live using other peoples cards is no problem. Scary I know, but we do it all the time lol.

riverko said:

That has become mainstream in many parts of the world, and is starting to get rolled out in a big way in the US -- e.g., Capital One, Chase, Amex etc. are now offering it.

I think he meant the physical card. Which would be weird because the card is for machines that don't accept contactless.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    You can Apple Pay Cash him a balance to use from his AP virtual card.
    I tried doing that when the Apple Pay Cash first came out and was told by Apple Care and the issuing bank (Green Dot) that when you sign up it asks for a SS number and you had to be at least 18. Maybe that policy has changed?
    No, that hasn't changed.  This is an (I believe) IRS regulation to help prevent money laundering.  Used to be, you could use GreenDot, and a few others, to anonymously send money to someone in an attempt to make it look legit, i.e. for some "service" rendered by the recipient.

Now all such options, at least in the US, must be hooked to a bank and/or SSN.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    I think he meant the physical card. Which would be weird because the card is for machines that don't accept contactless.
    Yeah, I did.

The fact that a machine accepts or does to accept contactless is irrelevant. As I said above, not all potential AppleCard users own an iPhone. Two, if you've used ApplePay a lot, you'd know there are lots of NFC machines worldwide on which ApplePay (or even using the iPhone or Watch as an NFC-payment-enabled device) doesn't work.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 31 of 53
    riverko said:

/s
    NFC is a wireless protocol. IOW, contactless.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Will be curious to see if they have 0% financing like Barclay does. I've used them for many years and have never paid a penny interest, and gotten dozens of free $25 rewards for the Apple and iTunes stores.

Most people don't know that you can call Barclay and activate 0% on your account for new purchases.

That being said, the board of Barclay are even bigger scumbags than the ones at Goldman Sachs. I would like to switch.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Appleish said:
    Will be curious to see if they have 0% financing like Barclay does. I've used them for many years and have never paid a penny interest, and gotten dozens of free $25 rewards for the Apple and iTunes stores.

Most people don't know that you can call Barclay and activate 0% on your account for new purchases.

That being said, the board of Barclay are even bigger scumbags than the ones at Goldman Sachs. I would like to switch.
    You also have to wait to get $25 back from Barclay's Apple CC and even then it's an Apple Store GC. I much prefer getting cash back directly and not having these larger blocks before you can cash in.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Yeah, I did.

The fact that a machine accepts or does to accept contactless is irrelevant. As I said above, not all potential AppleCard users own an iPhone. Two, if you've used ApplePay a lot, you'd know there are lots of NFC machines worldwide on which ApplePay (or even using the iPhone or Watch as an NFC-payment-enabled device) doesn't work.

Apple Card is part of the ecosystem.

I doubt Apple will let android users have Apple Card.

BTW I predict Apple Watch will become an independent standalone device soon. Just saying it now for time stamping purposes. lol
    In that case not all Apple Card users will have an iPhone but you'd still need an Apple Watch.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Soli said:
    riverko said:

/s
    Yes, of course -- that's obvious. So what? I am not following your point...
  • Reply 36 of 53

We'll see. There are many Apple users -- e.g., people who use Macs, some even iPads -- I know who have an Android phone. It would be foolish of Apple to deny themselves that segment. Moreover, it's a JV with Goldman Sachs -- I am sure they'll have a say in it too.

I don't understand what the fuss with providing the contactless option is: it is increasingly a trivial technology that is being widely deployed by credit card companies. If Apple doesn't make it so -- and of course, it's Apple's wont to not do so -- then it'll be AppleCard's loss. Recall, however, that Apple did repeatedly relent on a number of fronts for non-Apple users, e.g., iTunes for Windows, AppleMusic for Android, and I predict that the deployment of Apple's credit card will be no different. 
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Soli said:
    riverko said:

/s
    Yes, of course -- that's obvious. So what? I am not following your point…
    In your original comment I thought your pronoun was referring to the Apple Card, but riverko replied to your comment specifically about Apple Pay. In your reply you 1) didn't clarify that you were referring to Apple Card and 2) made sarcastic comments making fun of his statement that he thought Apple Pay was contactless which reads like you believe that Apple Pay is not contactless and that riverko is foolish for thinking that it is, hence my reply.
  • Reply 38 of 53

I don't understand what the fuss with providing the contactless option is: it is increasingly a trivial technology that is being widely deployed by credit card companies. If Apple doesn't make it so -- and of course, it's Apple's wont to not do so -- then it'll be AppleCard's loss. Recall, however, that Apple did repeatedly relent on a number of fronts for non-Apple users, e.g., iTunes for Windows, AppleMusic for Android, and I predict that the deployment of Apple's credit card will be no different. 
    1) Apple is offering a contactless option and one that is more secure than the more properly named tap-to-pay of passive NFC found in some US CCs.

2) This may come in full force to the US but it's probably whether it gains appeal in the US and if Goldman Sachs wants to adopt it, too, since there's an additional cost and potentially even reduced security. This still seems like a nascent market and you know Apple is usually not first for this kind of stuff. And, again, it's not secure like the other NFC-based payment the Apple Card offers so I doubt it will happen (although I have zero issues with it happening).

3) If you're goin to use NFC for payment why wouldn't you use the Apple Pay version when you can get 2% back when the physical card version only offers you 1% back? What are the odds you'd have a card but not an Apple Watch or iPhone but use the physical card enough that you're getting chip reader slot fatigue? I see NFC in the physical card like I see LoopPay's MST (acquired by Samsung)… a stoppage for good technically.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    riverko said:

/s
    Yes, of course -- that's obvious. So what? I am not following your point…
    In your original comment I thought your pronoun was referring to the Apple Card, but riverko replied to your comment specifically about Apple Pay. In your reply you 1) didn't clarify that you were referring to Apple Card and 2) made sarcastic comments making fun of his statement that he thought Apple Pay was contactless which reads like you believe that Apple Pay is not contactless and that riverko is foolish for thinking that it is, hence my reply.
    Your inabilities with reading comprehension are not my problem to address.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 40 of 53

Soli said:
    1) Apple is offering a contactless option and one that is more secure than the more properly named tap-to-pay of passive NFC found in some US CCs.

2) This may come in full force to the US but it's probably whether it gains appeal in the US and if Goldman Sachs wants to adopt it, too, since there's an additional cost and potentially even reduced security. This still seems like a nascent market and you know Apple is usually not first for this kind of stuff. And, again, it's not secure like the other NFC-based payment the Apple Card offers so I doubt it will happen (although I have zero issues with it happening).

3) If you're goin to use NFC for payment why wouldn't you use the Apple Pay version when you can get 2% back when the physical card version only offers you 1% back? What are the odds you'd have a card but not an Apple Watch or iPhone but use the physical card enough that you're getting chip reader slot fatigue? I see NFC in the physical card like I see LoopPay's MST (acquired by Samsung)… a stoppage for good technically.
    1) You have no idea about what Apple can do or what the technological possibilities are.

2) That it may come into existence in the future is a fair point. But it's gaining acceptance rapidly. It's not rocket science or apparently terribly expensive to be able to make it happen in a credit card in this day and age, apparently.

3) I think you should re-read the thread, where I specifically point out that there are many NFC POS readers all over the world that do not recognize ApplePay or ApplePay-compatible devices (iPhone/Watch). In that situation, assuming you want to go ahead with the transaction, you have to swipe or insert or tap. Tapping, all else equal, is more convenient. For me and apparently for lots of others. All this is leaving aside a simple point I've made twice that appears to have escaped you, so allow me to make it for the third time: there are many people who use Macs who have Android phones/wearables that might be customers of the card.

Btw, your point about "chip-reader slot fatigue" -- leaving aside the hypocrisy of a sarcastic comment from someone who apparently does not like my sarcasm -- has about the same validity as people saying with ApplePay "why do I need to pull out my phone when I don't get credit-card-from-wallet fatigue."
    edited July 2019