Jimmy Iovine spent excessively as Apple Music head, current service growth slowing, report...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    And I’ll go on record again saying I think the Beats acquisition was dumb. Beats headphones are a blip on Apple’s financials and they got nothing out of Iovine, Dre or Reznor (none of whom are even working at Apple now). The existing iTunes team could have set up Apple Music and probably done a better job than the Beats team. 
    Exactly, 
    These "geniuses" were able to convert almost a billion iTunes accounts into less than 100 million rental rap accounts despite giving away subscriptions to anyone with a pulse over years. Then they set up pretend radio stations so few people listen to that they will not report the numbers.

There is absolutely bupkis that Apple got from Beats that they could not easily have replicated on their own quickly unless you consider crappy headphones and defective Bluetooth speakers a plus.

What a waste of almost $3 billion and all the promotional and operating losses for this dud service.
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    chasm said:
    dysamoria said:
    Who. Could’ve. POSSIBLY. Seen. That. Coming?

Everyone connected to Beats is a scumbag [...]
    Source?
    His ass.
    And now you’re welcome to my block list. Adios!
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 23 of 44
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    entropys said:
    Apple Music needs work in its GUI.
    The services are largely interchangeable, the best GUI and value for money will win.
    Actually, since it is largely a commoditized service, the lowest cost will win.  That's why Spotify is trapped in a unwindable model.  Venture capitalists made their money, and now Spotify is placing its hope on being bought out by somebody.  Spotify has hemorrhaged money, pays artists much worse, is a one trick pony competing against companies that can leverage their music as part of their ecosystems, e.g., Apple, Amazon and Google, and since it is de facto commoditized product, can't raise prices to offset losses. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 24 of 44
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    martinxyz said:
    slurpy said:
    entropys said:
    The services are largely interchangeable, the best GUI and value for money will win.
    What's wrong with the GUI? I can find nothing to complain about.
    It's just not very good. So much is missing. When I listen to music on Apple music, I'd like to see a bio of the artist. Some have it, many don't. Searching for music doesn't seem to be able to gloss over misspellings or alternative spellings - this is basic stuff that Google solved decades ago in search. Sharing playlists seems like an afterthought whereas with Spotify it's front and centre. I could go on, but suffice to say that the GUI experience with Apple Music seems very flat, and the world has moved on from that.
    Yes. So many things are missing in Apple Music. And you are absolutely right about the playlists. I feel like Spotify has a better offer here.
    Spotify GUI is better usited for my tastes. 

I like the Spotify's design more. Maybe, one day I will go back to Premium Spotify.
    But I really didn't like how they portrait themselves as victim, and how presumably Apple bullies them (even though there is a part of it which is true).
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Used to be one could create EQ profiles for every single song in your library in iTunes instead of being stuck with the presets.
    mobirddavgreg
  • Reply 26 of 44
    TrabiTrabi Posts: 2member
    Notsofast said:
    entropys said:
    Actually, since it is largely a commoditized service, the lowest cost will win.  That's why Spotify is trapped in a unwindable model.  Venture capitalists made their money, and now Spotify is placing its hope on being bought out by somebody.  Spotify has hemorrhaged money, pays artists much worse, is a one trick pony competing against companies that can leverage their music as part of their ecosystems, e.g., Apple, Amazon and Google, and since it is de facto commoditized product, can't raise prices to offset losses. 
    Apparently you don’t realize how hard it is for 1-trick ponies to compete with those that cross-subsidize their streaming activities with billions (on staff, housing, server and bandwidth cost, marketing) Jimmy Iovine complaining he doesn’t know how to make Apple Music a profitable stand alone service, says enough.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 27 of 44
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Trabi said:
    Notsofast said:
    entropys said:
    Apparently you don’t realize how hard it is for 1-trick ponies to compete with those that cross-subsidize their streaming activities with billions (on staff, housing, server and bandwidth cost, marketing) Jimmy Iovine complaining he doesn’t know how to make Apple Music a profitable stand alone service, says enough.
    If true, that would mean Spotify is right in saying Apple Music has an unfair advantage, wouldn't it?

Is it, or is it not, OK to cross-subsidize between e.g. an app store and a music service? Should huge corporations like Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple be forced to split?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    As much as I want to enjoy Music and I do use it every day with the HomePods and in the car, it disappoints constantly. I have approximately 1,000 album titles in my Music library as well as approximately 5,000 physical albums in my collection as well as a few hundred DVD-Audio, SACD, and BLU-RAY disc. I do not have individual songs in Music, I add the entire album as that is the way I enjoy listening to music.
    This week for "New Releases" Music suggested 3 new titles .
    Give me a break, who ever is the Music algorithm genius should be terminated immediately.
    And here is the actual "New Releases" for this week from AllMusic:
    https://www.allmusic.com/newreleases?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-07-26.
    Music comes up short in so many ways and this is one of my biggest pet peeves.
    SpamSandwichAppleExposedmacgui
  • Reply 29 of 44
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    And I’ll go on record again saying I think the Beats acquisition was dumb. Beats headphones are a blip on Apple’s financials and they got nothing out of Iovine, Dre or Reznor (none of whom are even working at Apple now). The existing iTunes team could have set up Apple Music and probably done a better job than the Beats team. 
    So, you’re saying you have confidence that Eddy Cue could have handled it all by himself.  🙄
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 30 of 44
    IreneW said:
    Trabi said:
    Notsofast said:
    entropys said:
    If true, that would mean Spotify is right in saying Apple Music has an unfair advantage, wouldn't it?

Is it, or is it not, OK to cross-subsidize between e.g. an app store and a music service? Should huge corporations like Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple be forced to split?
    Apple doesn’t have a separate streaming music business. If they were skimming profits from Apple to subsidize a wholly separate Apple Streaming Music company, the government might look at that unfavorably.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    JWSC said:
    So, you’re saying you have confidence that Eddy Cue could have handled it all by himself.  🙄
    LOL. Eddy needs to find a new line of work.
    elijahg
  • Reply 32 of 44
    davgreg said:
    Exactly, 
    These "geniuses" were able to convert almost a billion iTunes accounts into less than 100 million rental rap accounts despite giving away subscriptions to anyone with a pulse over years. Then they set up pretend radio stations so few people listen to that they will not report the numbers.

There is absolutely bupkis that Apple got from Beats that they could not easily have replicated on their own quickly unless you consider crappy headphones and defective Bluetooth speakers a plus.

What a waste of almost $3 billion and all the promotional and operating losses for this dud service.

Yea, the radio station focus on rap / hip-hop bugs me.  Seriously bugs me.  Now, I’m a 50s geezer going on 20 😉 and I could maybe be convinced that it is truly a generational split and that the whole rock and roll thing is over.  But my gut doesn’t quite believe it yet.  My 12 year old son loves rock and roll.

You have to remember that these guys at Apple Music don’t just reflect back what the supposed youth crowd wants.  They are also taste-makers, promoting what they want or hope to be the next big thing.  If those taste-makers just happen to like rap, then you win no prize for guessing what they’re most likely to play.  So when the youth crowd hears mostly rap and hip-hop on the radio or on an iTunes Radio station, that’s what they’re going to embrace.  So cause and effect are not clear to me.  I’m not believing it’s just generational.  Apple Music needs to diversify its leading lineup.

edited July 2019 mobirdelijahgdavgregFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 44
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Next big feature for Apple Music? Live show schedules. Have the app analyze who you listen to the most and give you notifications about when those artists lock in a show near you and give you options to act on it such as adding the dates to your calendar, Maps integration to show where it is, and perhaps work with StubHub to link directly to the app to purchase tickets (or if its part of a music festival, link to the festival's official site). Have a section underneath an artists main picture in their Apple Music profile to showcase upcoming dates. Tapping on one will give you the same options as listed above. Hell, take it one step further and give Apple Music subscribers the option to tune in to a live stream of the performance. Imagine Apple partnering with Coachella the way Youtube does to live stream everything. I would be stoked to see a feature like that.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 34 of 44
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mobird said:
    Hate Jimmy all you want but he's one of the most successful record label execs in history and knows wtf he's doing.

I think his money was well spent and now I understand why Apple Music has had less buzz and excitement lately.
    Iovine doesn't even begin to get close to Ahmet Ertegun, Mo Austin, and Clive Davis regarding "most successful record label execs". I agree with Macplusplus regarding Playlist as well. Playlist to me are for the lazy. People should listen to the entire album instead of looking for the "hits", it is so much more enjoyable.
    And one more thing, all the comments above regarding what Music is in need of are spot on, I don't understand why Apple who always spouted about music being in it's "DNA" allows for such an anemic experience.

Oh no Jimmy is up there. His achievements are up there. I remember surprisingly reading his name on plenty of top 40 CD booklets just laughing how wide his reach was.

When Jimmy was running Apple Music you'd hear about the service everywhere. On the news, radio, word of mouth, cool city ads and people talking about the latest exclusive music and videos. The Hotline Bling video was viral and reached 1.5B views(half of Gangnam Style). I didn't even know that was funded by Apple. Ever since this new guy took over the platform has cooled off and has become boring. Maybe that's why subscriber rates have decreased? I only now hear of Apple Music on tech sites and Verizon ads.

"We just want to be the best; that doesn't have to be the biggest," Schusser said in response.

It's a shame Apple didn't put their logo for Apple Music or indication that they were involved in the viral video. Maybe Jimmy/Apple had no idea how big it would be. It now reads in the description "stream on Spotify". What a slap on the face.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    jgreg728 said:
    Next big feature for Apple Music? Live show schedules. Have the app analyze who you listen to the most and give you notifications about when those artists lock in a show near you and give you options to act on it such as adding the dates to your calendar, Maps integration to show where it is, and perhaps work with StubHub to link directly to the app to purchase tickets (or if its part of a music festival, link to the festival's official site). Have a section underneath an artists main picture in their Apple Music profile to showcase upcoming dates. Tapping on one will give you the same options as listed above. Hell, take it one step further and give Apple Music subscribers the option to tune in to a live stream of the performance. Imagine Apple partnering with Coachella the way Youtube does to live stream everything. I would be stoked to see a feature like that.
    Not bad ideas.  If Apple Music could fully integrate Pollstar and/or Ticketmaster functionality into the client, that could add some value to the end user and make it more likely that they’ll make instant concert ticket purchases.  Everyone would be a winner.  But I’m sure the A-holes at Ticketmaster will find a way to say no.
    spheric
  • Reply 36 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    When Jimmy was running Apple Music you'd hear about the service everywhere. On the news, radio, word of mouth, cool city ads and people talking about the latest exclusive music and videos. The Hotline Bling video was viral and reached 1.5B views(half of Gangnam Style). I didn't even know that was funded by Apple.
    Neither did I.  Makes you wonder why they bothered.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    mobird said:
    Hate Jimmy all you want but he's one of the most successful record label execs in history and knows wtf he's doing.

I think his money was well spent and now I understand why Apple Music has had less buzz and excitement lately.
    Iovine doesn't even begin to get close to Ahmet Ertegun, Mo Austin, and Clive Davis regarding "most successful record label execs". I agree with Macplusplus regarding Playlist as well. Playlist to me are for the lazy. People should listen to the entire album instead of looking for the "hits", it is so much more enjoyable.
    And one more thing, all the comments above regarding what Music is in need of are spot on, I don't understand why Apple who always spouted about music being in it's "DNA" allows for such an anemic experience.

Oh no Jimmy is up there. His achievements are up there. I remember surprisingly reading his name on plenty of top 40 CD booklets just laughing how wide his reach was.

When Jimmy was running Apple Music you'd hear about the service everywhere. On the news, radio, word of mouth, cool city ads and people talking about the latest exclusive music and videos. The Hotline Bling video was viral and reached 1.5B views(half of Gangnam Style). I didn't even know that was funded by Apple. Ever since this new guy took over the platform has cooled off and has become boring. Maybe that's why subscriber rates have decreased? I only now hear of Apple Music on tech sites and Verizon ads.

"We just want to be the best; that doesn't have to be the biggest," Schusser said in response.

It's a shame Apple didn't put their logo for Apple Music or indication that they were involved in the viral video. Maybe Jimmy/Apple had no idea how big it would be. It now reads in the description "stream on Spotify". What a slap on the face.
    Check the work product (Artist/Bands) of the three Music Execs I mentioned, Iovine does not come close. Also the staying power of those Artist/Bands has not and most likely never will be replicated with Artist associated with Iovine. Iovine is more like a carnival barker.
    davgreg
  • Reply 38 of 44
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Who. Could’ve. POSSIBLY. Seen. That. Coming?

Everyone connected to Beats is a scumbag and Apple should also drop the whole “by Dre” thing... And get some real audio engineers in that company. I just leased a new car with Beats built-in audio system and it sounds like shit. 
    Turn down the bass, turn down the highs, and turn up the mids a bit. That should improve it a lot, I'd guess (never having heard a beats car system). 
  • Reply 39 of 44
    davgreg said:
    When I read "artists like Drake, Taylor Swift and Chance the Rapper" I just about hurled. 

Not an "artist" among them. Performers yes, artists hardly.
    Oh, dear, do tell…? 

:fetches popcorn:
    fastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 44
    mobird said:
    mobird said:

Check the work product (Artist/Bands) of the three Music Execs I mentioned, Iovine does not come close. Also the staying power of those Artist/Bands has not and most likely never will be replicated with Artist associated with Iovine. Iovine is more like a carnival barker.
    Patti Smith
    Tom Petty
    Dire Straits
    Stevie Nicks
    Meat Loaf
    Bob Seger
    Rod Stewart
    U2
    Joan Jett
    Bruce Springsteen
    Simple Minds
    Graham Parker
    The Pretenders
    Bob Geldof
    Alison Moyet
    Jeff Healey
    Eurythmics
    Golden Earring

I dunno. 

Seems like he's done okay in terms of production credits.
    SoliIreneWFileMakerFellerfastasleep