Two more iPad models coming soon, says regulatory filing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
Two new iPad model numbers have been filed with the Eurasian Economic Commission, bringing the total number of anticipated fall iPad releases to seven.

Seven new iPads expected to release in the fall

Apple has filed regulatory entries for two new iPad models under the new model identifiers of A2200 and A2232 into the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) database. As these are grouped together into a single listing, it's probable that they will be similar models. Rumors suggest that it may be a new 10.2-inch iPad model, which serves as an upgrade for the existing 9.7-inch iPad.

EEC iPad filings

Apple has already entered five new model numbers, A2197, A2228, A2068, A2198, and A2230, into the EEC earlier this year. According to the EEC filings, all seven iPads will ship with iPadOS 13, indicating that they'll likely be released this fall.

A report from China had indicated that mass production of new iPads would commence in July, adding to the likelihood of a fall launch.

The filings with the EEC are legally required for any device to be sold with encryption-related elements in countries such as Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. They don't detail specific information, but do show that something new is in the works.

EEC Mac filings

A second filing was seen entered into the EEC at the same time, but featured existing Mac model numbers. This is likely a legal requirement, since it is probable that these models will ship with Catalina in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    New iPads with the new iPadOS = most exciting thing in years.   Hopefully more Catalyst Apps will come with it.
    applesnorangescornchip
  • Reply 2 of 34
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    The iPad 6 is available at blowout prices now. Something is surely coming soon.
    applesnorangesanantksundaramchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Where are the dame new iMac's!? New MacBooks, new iPads, and new over priced Mac pro's... But no new iMacs. WTF Apple?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Where are the dame new iMac's!? New MacBooks, new iPads, and new over priced Mac pro's... But no new iMacs. WTF Apple?
    The non-pro iMac was updated this past winter. 

I just got one to replace a 2011 model. This thing is amazing. The 5k display, the speed, and 64gb ram, all in a much smaller and lighter shell which is very noticeable on a VESA arm. I’m curious what use cases you have that exceed its capabilities?
    curtis hannahmacpluspluspscooter63applesnorangestenchi211anantksundaramfastasleepwilliamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Amazon has the 9.7" iPad for $249.  Couldn't resist.  I picked up 2 yesterday to replace 4 aging iPads of various vintages going all the way back to the OG iPad - which still works btw.  Giving those away to friends and family.  The new ones should last just as long as the ones they're replacing.  One for the fam, and one for me.
    curtis hannahMisterKitmacpluspluspscooter63applesnorangescornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    Bought a current 9.7” 128g for $329 on Amazon. Couldn’t resist the deal. It is a well performing piece of gear.
    macpluspluspscooter63cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    amarkapamarkap Posts: 69member
    I’m curious what use cases you have that exceed its capabilities?
    I'm not sure he was asking because he has "use cases"...I think he just wants something new and different in that line of Apple products.  I mean that is just my guess.  We know when Apple puts an existing product line in focus they will add some amazing new enhancements and/or innovations to it.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I look forward to new releases generally not because I want the new device, but because it results in price cuts on new, previous generation models. I'm typing this into a 2009 iMac that does everything I need. At some point it will likely fail, and then the 5K replacement I would like will continue to drop in price. I will do the same for the 2013 MBA I have, although that comes with the attendant cost of having to switch over to USB-C. Keep coming with the innovation and new stuff I don't really need, Apple!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Amazon has the 9.7" iPad for $249.  Couldn't resist.  I picked up 2 yesterday to replace 4 aging iPads of various vintages going all the way back to the OG iPad - which still works btw.  Giving those away to friends and family.  The new ones should last just as long as the ones they're replacing.  One for the fam, and one for me.
    Great deal!    However I’m worried, these new models could be significantly better if the next A series chip lives up to expectations.  Well A series and Apple removing head from but and addressing the RAM and SSD sizes (one can hope).  I can imagine Apple wanting to kick off iPadOS with really compelling hardware.  

Im not sure how other people see this but iPadOS “could” be a jig thing at Apple.   I say could because it takes a man with vision to move a platform forward and do it in a way that inspires the user base.  I’m not even sure such a person exists at Apple right now.  If he does exist I can see Apple being persuaded to really goose up the iPad to make the new OS attractive.  
  • Reply 10 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    amarkap said:
    I'm not sure he was asking because he has "use cases"...I think he just wants something new and different in that line of Apple products.  I mean that is just my guess.  We know when Apple puts an existing product line in focus they will add some amazing new enhancements and/or innovations to it.  
    The most reasonable “use case” is longevity for most of us!   When Intel debuts new processors one gets new functionality in many cases.  This makes a huge difference down the road. Also Apple needs to address the spinning rust in these machines.  In fact there are a number of consumer oriented issues with the machine they could address.  

Beyond that iMacs. Could really use a visual ID / logon solution.    A few Windows based machines support this and even though it was off to a rough start on Windows 10 it worked pretty good by the time I switched to Linux.   I’m actually shocked that Apple hasn’t done more here as visuAl ID systems work really well at this point.  
  • Reply 11 of 34
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    wizard69 said:
    Great deal!    However I’m worried, these new models could be significantly better if the next A series chip lives up to expectations.  Well A series and Apple removing head from but and addressing the RAM and SSD sizes (one can hope).  I can imagine Apple wanting to kick off iPadOS with really compelling hardware.  

Im not sure how other people see this but iPadOS “could” be a jig thing at Apple.   I say could because it takes a man with vision to move a platform forward and do it in a way that inspires the user base.  I’m not even sure such a person exists at Apple right now.  If he does exist I can see Apple being persuaded to really goose up the iPad to make the new OS attractive.  
    iPadOS might be a beginning to something bigger

https://www.macprices.net/2019/07/26/with-the-new-ipados-apple-is-paving-the-way-to-a-forthcoming-merger-of-ios-macos/
    applesnorangeswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    FWIW Apple has its own Apple/In page, touting new things like iPadOS and links to nearest retailers in India. Page I saw was English. Hurray! Hope this is part of big revamp and push.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    wizard69 said:

https://www.macprices.net/2019/07/26/with-the-new-ipados-apple-is-paving-the-way-to-a-forthcoming-merger-of-ios-macos/
    Absolutely not a merger of iOS and macOS. Apple is clear on that since half a decade: no toaster-fridges.
    edited July 2019 StrangeDayschiawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    amarkap said:
    So...he’s bored. Got it. Yeah these are tools, they’re built to perform jobs to be done. The iMac was recently updated with faster hardware and cheaper SSD. It’s a near perfect machine.
    edited July 2019 williamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34

wizard69 said:

>forehead slap< 

Are you new to Apple?

mattinozfastasleepSolimacpluspluschiawilliamlondonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 34
    wizard69 said:

This may disappoint some around here, but my iPad purchases have nothing to do with any of that.  I buy tools that best fit my use cases.  iPads are consumption devices in my house.  A series chip improvements really don't mean much viewed through that lens.  Netflix, Amazon Prime, Youtube, PlayMusic, fantasy sports, and some web browsing.  A couple of other subs and that's about it.  I don't even have email set up on the iPad.  Never have.  The way I use an iPad could literally still be handled by the OG iPad.  I know that because I tested it before giving it away.    These two new iPads should continue well into the next decade as consumption devices.  

As a point of conversation, iPadOS is intriguing to me.  I think Apple is taking the iPad in the right direction by differentiating it from the iPhone.  In practical application, it really doesn't mean much to me and my use case,  I fully understand others have different use cases that can benefit from all the advances Apple is making and I think they should continue making them.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    wizard69 said:

Oh, the never-ending worry. RAM and storage on iPad are fine. I went with 64gb on my current iPad Pro, and I’m only using less than half. 31gb. I use cloud for long-term storage of photos, music, files. The ipad has more than enough working room. 

Other people may work differently and that’s fine, you can optionally pay to upgrade. But I don’t want to pay for more storage I don’t need, so having a less expensive option is great. 
    fastasleepmacpluspluschiawilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I am assuming this is wifi and cellular in iPad, iPad Pro 11 and 12.9, and no updates for mini.
    and a lone wifi only “budget” iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just hoping they fix the problems with iOS 12.4 before these new iPads come out. The update screwed up the ability to record in GarageBand with IAA and AU extensions.
    dedgeckochia
  • Reply 20 of 34
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Just a matter of time before even the budget iPad adopts the new Pro design.
    watto_cobra