Sony's Reon Pocket is an iPhone-controlled personal air conditioner

Posted:
in iPhone
Sony is crowdfunding a project called the Reon Pocket, a wearable AC/heater unit compatible with both iPhones and Android devices.

Sony Reon Pocket

The Pocket slips into a compartment in the back of a custom undershirt, and is powerful enough to drop local skin temperature from 36 Celsius (96.8 Fahrenheit) to 23 (73.4 Fahrenheit), according to Sony. Much of the company's marketing is geared towards Japanese businessmen, who frequently walk the streets during the country's infamously hot summers.

Wearers connect to their phone via Bluetooth 5.0. Through an app they can switch between heating and cooling, adjust intensity, and toggle automatic activation.

Sony Reon Pocket

Crowdfunding is currently Japanese-only and at 45% of a 66,000,000 million yen goal, about $607,332. Included shirts are only in S, M, and L sizes, and the bundle is selling for 14,080 yen, roughly $130. It's unclear if or when the product might reach other regions.

Sony lists the product as compatible with iOS 13, which remains in beta ahead of a fall release date. The unit itself is expected to ship in the spring of 2020.

applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Make one for my crotch and you've got a sale.
    HeliBumking editor the grateentropysolsStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 2 of 13
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    I'd definitely get this for hot bike rides in Phoenix.
    rossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I’m in. Guess I can pick one up in Tokyo during next year’s Olympics 😎
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Only interested in this as it’s Sony... I would be worried about other manufacturers and their choice of stable-or-not battery chemistry being that close to my skin. Ouch! 
    rossb2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I don't think this qualifies as air conditioning. AC lowers humidity in addition to providing cool air. This doodad would seem to do neither save whatever cool air might be trapped in one's garments. I'm also wondering what happens to generated heat. I don't read Japanese so the website wasn't much help.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Or just wrap a small cool and damp towel around your neck.
    king editor the grateolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    This doesn't seem normal.  Sony?  Crowdfunding?  When has a company as big as Sony resorted to these kind of measures?
    toysandmeols
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Not a word on how this magical device functions? 
    king editor the grateStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Damn, I’m going to be in Tokyo in September. I’d love to pick one of these up when I’m there but I doubt they’ll be in retailers but then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    these could be popular in the UK too. I am disappointed this is Japan only. Our housing and offices are built for cold. Summer is a struggle here on the hottest days, the majority of offices and homes do not have air con.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    I'm sure its a peltier junction.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I'm sure its a peltier junction.
    I don't see any other realistic option. Not unless Sony has time-traveled and brought back some very new tech.

As, uh– cool as this gadget might be, I see a very limited window of functionality. Trapping the exhaust in clothing would be counterproductive.

As great as this sounds, a peltier device won't help much in warm open air. Their may be some benefit in providing a very cool spot at the base of the net, providing a sense of coolness, more of a psychological influence than a physiological result. I'd think those thermal images were taken under very controlled conditions.
    watto_cobraking editor the grate
  • Reply 13 of 13
    tonyccntonyccn Posts: 1member
    Sony is crowdfunding a project called the Reon Pocket, a wearable AC/heater unit compatible with both iPhones and Android devices.

Sony Reon Pocket

The Pocket slips into a compartment in the back of a custom undershirt, and is powerful enough to drop local skin temperature from 36 Celsius (96.8 Fahrenheit) to 23 (73.4 Fahrenheit), according to Sony. Much of the company's marketing is geared towards Japanese businessmen, who frequently walk the streets during the country's infamously hot summers.

Wearers connect to their phone via Bluetooth 5.0. Through an app they can switch between heating and cooling, adjust intensity, and toggle automatic activation.

Sony Reon Pocket

Crowdfunding is currently Japanese-only and at 45% of a 66,000,000 million yen goal, about $607,332. Included shirts are only in S, M, and L sizes, and the bundle is selling for 14,080 yen, roughly $130. It's unclear if or when the product might reach other regions.

Sony lists the product as compatible with iOS 13, which remains in beta ahead of a fall release date. The unit itself is expected to ship in the spring of 2020.

I purchased one. Shipped from Japan.  It looks nice. Well made. 

However, it is a brick for now.  Cannot use it without the App.  It turns out the App is not yet available in the US (I am in California).  I google translated the Sony First-Flight page into English and read the manual (https://reonpocket.sony.co.jp/product/howto.html).  Also went the Japan Apple App store here (https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/id1498749786?mt=8).   When I tried to download the app it said not avail in US.  Bummer.  I contacted the seller in Japan.  He said contact Sony.  Not much a help.  Now I have an expensive brick to the tune of $240 sitting on my desk useless.