New 16-inch MacBook Pro rumored to fit screen in current 15-inch case

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
Reports from the supply chain claim that Apple is achieving a bigger screen with its 16-inch MacBook Pro by utilizing narrower bezels, allowing it to use the same case as the current 15-inch model.

The forthcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro may fit the larger screen within the same case as this current 15-inch model.
The forthcoming 16-inch MacBook Pro may fit the larger screen within the same case as this current 15-inch model.

According to Digitimes, the 16-inch MacBook Pro that Apple is expected to produce will be released in September, and feature narrower bezels on the display. The change to the bezels will be such that the new 16-inch display will be able to fit the same body case that Apple currently uses for the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Quoting unnamed sources in the supply chain, Digitimes says that the new 16-inch MacBook Pro will an LCD screen made by LG Display, at a resolution of 3,072 x 1,920.

The publication further claims that the price of the new machine will be up to approximately $3,200. That's more than previously rumored, but it's not clear whether this is an expected base price for the model or one of its configurations.

DigiTimes has good sources within assorted supply chains. It is frequently incorrect about Apple's specific product plans, however.

Other previous rumors have only claimed that the new MacBook Pro will be released in the fourth quarter, rather than specifically September as Digitimes says.

As well as a new, larger display, the 16-inch MacBook Pro is expected to feature a return to the old scissor-style keyboard for the range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Why is it that an iPhone XS is $999 and an iPhone XS Max is $1099, yet a 13” MacBook Pro is $1300 and a 16” MacBook Pro is $3200.

I have never understood why Apple needs a bigger screen to have a $1100 to $1900 premium on a laptop (85% to 146% markup), while it only needs to be a 10% markup on a phone. It’s like saying a Toyota Yaris starts at $13,000 and the next size up Corolla starts at $24,000 to $32,000. Since when is a slightly bigger version only for the most privileged? Maybe when you start giving dividends to the most privileged, who knows. 
    williamlondonelijahgviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Why is it that an iPhone XS is $999 and an iPhone XS Max is $1099, yet a 13” MacBook Pro is $1300 and a 16” MacBook Pro is $3200.

I have never understood why Apple needs a bigger screen to have a $1100 to $1900 premium on a laptop (85% to 146% markup), while it only needs to be a 10% markup on a phone. It’s like saying a Toyota Yaris starts at $13,000 and the next size up Corolla starts at $24,000 to $32,000. Since when is a slightly bigger version only for the most privileged? Maybe when you start giving dividends to the most privileged, who knows. 
    Can you cite where you’re getting your mark up figures from?

Speaking of cars...they’re very old technology, so why are they still expensive and more so every year? 
    edited July 2019 williamlondondedgeckopscooter63chiaRayz2016
  • Reply 3 of 34
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member

Because you’re using different criteria to differentiate. The market is segmented differently (size is a premium factor, but it goes the inverse direction, as well), but if you want to compare packages of features that Apple offered, the SE was €400. The Xs Max is €1250. 

You couldn’t get a Max-sized SE, and you can’t get an SE-sized Xs. 

In addition to the point that Apple combines features into tiers, laptops, there is the additional issue of thermal constraints: you actually simply CAN’T throw the most powerful package into the smaller case. It won’t work. 

So bigger displays are considerably more expensive and bundled into the „premium“ tier. 

Also, it has long been known that keeping options to a minimum actually results in happier customers. I might have agonised over not wanting the 15“ form factor vs. maybe finding the graphics card useful for some of the FCP dabbling I do, but since I knew I needed the quad, and that only came in the 15“ model in 2016, that was that. 

Now I’ve been using it and enjoying it, and never had second thoughts about any of the options, because they came „for free“ with the deciding criterion. 
    dedgeckopscooter63chiaradarthekatroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member

O_o

“Yes, the screen is the only difference between 13” and 15” MBP models... please give us more money for it.”

There’s a bit more to it than that, and that’s what justifies the expense. 
    randominternetpersonbigpicspscooter63chiaradarthekatviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    This makes sense, just like the Apple Watch treatment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member

That $1,300 13" MacBook Pro has a smaller screen, a 4-core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel Iris Plus Graphics, and 2 TB Ports.

At a $1,000 difference, a $2,300 15" MacBook Pro has a larger screen, AND a 6-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Radeon Pro 555X Graphics, and 4 TB Ports. 

Seems to me you're getting just a little bit more than a larger screen for your "markup".
    GeorgeBMacbigpicspscooter63roundaboutnowchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Reports from the supply chain claim that Apple is achieving a bigger screen with its 16-inch MacBook Pro by utilizing narrower bezels, allowing it to use the same case as the current 15-inch model.
    Given what we've seen on iPads, iPhones and other laptops, isn't that pretty much a no-brainer?
    Did anyone ever really expect anything different?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    I'm skeptical that both parts of this rumor can be true.  Yes, I expect the 16" to very close to the size of the 15" but I doubt it's literally the same case--especially if they are going to swap out the keyboard (which would give up a little available space).  Otherwise, who is surprised by this?  Did anyone thinks that Apple was going to go even bigger than the 15" in physical dimensions?
    superklotonbigpicspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Smaller bezels, larger screen, basically same footprint?  Yes, yes, and yes.  New/old butterfly keyboard would make that an even more enticing proposition.  If it looks anything like this render... hell yeah.  I would even care if they kept the potato camera.  I would definitely upgrade my '15 MBP for the 2nd version of this.

superklotonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hmlongco said:

That $1,300 13" MacBook Pro has a smaller screen, a 4-core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel Iris Plus Graphics, and 2 TB Ports.

At a $1,000 difference, a $2,300 15" MacBook Pro has a larger screen, AND a 6-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Radeon Pro 555X Graphics, and 4 TB Ports. 

Seems to me you're getting just a little bit more than a larger screen for your "markup".
    That's true.   It's also kind of a shame because some people want the screen without all the other stuff.   All they want to do is work on their spreadsheet.
    raybowatto_cobralorin schultzeriamjh
  • Reply 11 of 34
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    Smaller bezels, larger screen, basically same footprint?  Yes, yes, and yes.  New/old butterfly keyboard would make that an even more enticing proposition.  If it looks anything like this render... hell yeah.  I would even care if they kept the potato camera.  I would definitely upgrade my '15 MBP for the 2nd version of this.

I'm looking at my work 2017 15"MBP and I can't see how they'd accomodate an extra inch of diagonal space without changing the aspect ratio.  There's *barely* 1/2" from the top-left corner to the corner of the lid.,.there's plenty of room to make top/bottom bezels smaller, but side bezels not so much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Speaking of cars...they’re very old technology, so why are they still expensive and more so every year? 
    Computers have been around in their current form for 40+ years. They aren't "new" tech. Arguably smartphones are new tech in comparison, and as Tux Kapono pointed out, the premium vs size there is much less. Other manufacturers don't charge quite the premium Apple does for a size bump. Obviously it is more expensive to make a larger device, and the larger devices tend to have better specs, but it's not that much more expensive. And as GeorgeBMac points out, what if you don't want those better specs, maybe for older people who just browse the web but want a larger screen? I suppose your excuse then StrangeDays is they're a "minority" and Apple shouldn't cater to them, etc.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 13 of 34
    tjwolf said:
    I'm looking at my work 2017 15"MBP and I can't see how they'd accomodate an extra inch of diagonal space without changing the aspect ratio.  There's *barely* 1/2" from the top-left corner to the corner of the lid.,.there's plenty of room to make top/bottom bezels smaller, but side bezels not so much.
    I think most of the screen real estate will be taken from the top and bottom bezels, but I'm also fairly confident Apple can shave some mm's from the sides.  Heck, if PC manufacturers can do it, there's no reason to think Apple can't.  The aspect ratio might change to make it happen, but that really doesn't bother me. Others might take issue. 
    Huawei's Matebook X Pro clone of the the MBP gives a good visual of indication that thin side bezels aren't really a big hurdle.
    Related image

• Reply 14 of 34
    This is awesome. I always wished they would do that and finally it seems like they actually are. I guess the 15" and 16" will be available side by side for a while but eventually this will replace the 15" model.
    I hope they do the same with the 13" MacBook Pro and put a ~14" screen in there. I'm actually even more excited about a 14" MacBook Air with the new bezels!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    tjwolf said:

It won't be _exactly_ the same size… we're due for the 4-year-cycle Macbook redesign, the 16 is the new 15. It will be as different from the 15 as the USB-C Macbook Pros are different from the previous Retina Macbook generation. 

The footprint might be a few millimeters wider, sure.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 16 of 34
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    hmlongco said:

That's true.   It's also kind of a shame because some people want the screen without all the other stuff.   All they want to do is work on their spreadsheet.
    Hence OS support for external monitors. Get a very decent 25" 4K for maybe $400.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    Hey guys and gals, the $3,000 price point has been the top Apple laptop price for many years before the over $5k 15".  The 17" was around that price in 2011, so bring that price point forward and the 16" starting price is not that unreasonable. It will  probably be closer to $6k or $7k when fleshed out with max memory and SSD.  I upgraded the 17" to more memory than Apple offered at the time and it now has two SSDs inside that are 1TB or larger. Still a viable machine for work but not so much fun to carry in a shoulder bag.
    jdiamondwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 34
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    “The publication further claims that the price of the new machine will be up to approximately $3,200. That's more than previously rumored, but it's not clear whether this is an expected base price for the model or one of its configurations.

We don’t know yet whether $3200 is the base price or the price of an enhanced configuration. $2300 -> $3200 RAM and SSD come to mind to explain that $900 difference. In the worst case I expect the current 15” will remain in sale in Apple Store or in the retail channels until Apple can get the price of 16” down.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    hmlongco said:

Exactly. The 15” MBP is a very powerful machine, but relatively few people actually need that power. If Apple sold a 15” MacBook Air I bet it would outsell most other models. I’m in that boat - I need a 15” screen, but I don’t need the power so I either shell out an extra $1000 to get a 15” screen or I go with a windows laptop. I ended up paying for the MBP, but mainly because I could use pre-tax money so the actual difference was more like $600. Had I not been able to do that, I may well have gotten a windows machine. I like Macs and they’re clearly better, but I can put up with a lot for $1000.
  • Reply 20 of 34

Well trucks have a 25% chicken tax included in the price.