Google's Pixel 4 phone implementing system similar to Apple's Face ID

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google on Monday previewed a pair of features coming to its Pixel 4 smartphone, including "Face Unlock," apparently directly competing with the Face ID technology on Apple's X-series iPhones.

Google Pixel 4

Pixel 4 owners will be able to both unlock their device and authenticate payments with Face Unlock, Google said. The system relies on two IR cameras, a dot projector, a flood illuminator, and an ambient light and proximity sensor.

Significantly however it also includes a Soli radar chip, which will trigger facial recognition sensors as a person is still picking up the phone -- meaning that the device could potentially unlock faster than an iPhone.

The Soli chip is also employed in the second feature, Motion Sense, which will let people wave a hand in front of the phone for simple commands like snoozing alarms or silencing calls. Apple has occasionally explored non-touch gestures in patents, but has largely avoided them in shipping products outside of raise-to-wake.

Google confirmed plans for the Pixel 4 in June. It has yet to announce a release date, but Pixel phones are typically launched in October.

Android devices have mostly been unable to compete directly against Face ID, since the parts required for that level of facial recognition can be expensive to manufacture, leading to higher pricetags. In fact 2018's iPhone XR was the first iPhone below $999 to include Face ID, and still cost $749 -- $50 more than the iPhone 8 did in 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You’d want to be insane to let Google scan your face.
    cornchiplostkiwichiataddGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Anyone want to take bets this is not going to go well for Google. 

I think the recent Apple commercial with the guy on the lounge chair raising to open his eye to have the phone unlock to see his text message is good example of how well it works.
    edited July 2019 gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    Of course they are. Despite not being first to implement new spec bumps, Apple leads the way for the others on general correctness. 
    cornchipchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Oh oh. Does this mean our very own @Soli will need to get a new handle?
    SolilostkiwiFileMakerFellerSpamSandwichgilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 41
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Folio said:
    Oh oh. Does this mean our very own @Soli will need to get a new handle?
    LOL 

It wouldn't be the first time.
    edited July 2019 dedgeckolostkiwipscooter63chiaFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    It's just as innovative as iPhone except your face is stored in some unknown data center.
    cornchiplostkiwiStrangeDayschiagilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Why is The Goog still bothering making hardware?
    AppleExposedpscooter63chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 41
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I don't know how useful the jedi gesture would work in real world practice, but for sure is the first time I see a feature and I say "that's cool, I definitely want to try it!". If Google nails these gestures (which is highly unlikely) it will push the industry to do something different.
    cornchipFileMakerFellerCarnage
  • Reply 9 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Somewhere in the deep abscesses of Google's meeting rooms are people discussing how they are going to monetize the countless faces provided by this iKnockoff feature.

If they tell you/us that facial features will remain private, they are flat-out lying to your face.

I'm hoping the government checks in from time-to-time to make sure Google doesn't walk over the line on this one.  I think it's scary.
    AppleExposedlostkiwipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    I would expect it's rendered to an algorithm and stored in the Pixel's secure enclave, so not so different from Apple except for the added functionality...
    assuming of course it all works as efficiently as intended.  
    Carnagenetmage
  • Reply 11 of 41
    sflocal said:
    Somewhere in the deep abscesses of Google's meeting rooms are people discussing how they are going to monetize the countless faces provided by this iKnockoff feature.

If they tell you/us that facial features will remain private, they are flat-out lying to your face.

I'm hoping the government checks in from time-to-time to make sure Google doesn't walk over the line on this one.  I think it's scary.
    Project Veritas.

gutengel said:
    I don't know how useful the jedi gesture would work in real world practice, but for sure is the first time I see a feature and I say "that's cool, I definitely want to try it!". If Google nails these gestures (which is highly unlikely) it will push the industry to do something different.

Apple doesn't give a sh** about "oh that's cool", which is why these knockoffs fail when they TRY to innovate. Without Apple they're lost.

Remember wave-to-answer which Samsung thought was the future and iKnockoff Knights claimed was so "innovative" and "futuristic"?
    Yeah, no one remembers. As usual, Androids failures get swept under the rug.
    cornchiplostkiwipscooter63chiadewmegilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    gutengel said:
    I remember a Samsung phone commercial a while back that demonstrated a gesture control. I thought at the time that it wasn't a bad idea for checking messages or browsing on phone while eating (which I do all the time), but not a "must have" feature. 

Then I thought about how many inadvertent interactions might take place when just normally reaching for stuff on the table. Anybody have direct experience with this? I haven't seen the feature advertised anymore.

Unless there is a good way to ignore inadvertent gestures, maybe not such a good idea.
    AppleExposedchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    ireland said:
    I read somewhere in a 450 page PDF that Apple will occasionally send your face scan to third party contractors for the purpose of product improvement.

/s
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 41
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    So after screwing Motorola to get their patents Google moved on to screw HTC to get their squeeze functions on the Pixel phones. Now it looks like they are working with LG to get their face recognition system and air gestures from the LG G8. Guess this is the end of LG. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crosslad said:
    So after screwing Motorola to get their patents Google moved on to screw HTC to get their squeeze functions on the Pixel phones. Now it looks like they are working with LG to get their face recognition system and air gestures from the LG G8. Guess this is the end of LG. 
    The Soli chip (yes it's an actual chipset developed by Google) should make Google's implementation far more granular than the failed effort by LG. Apple would be expected to take an idea and improve it, now Google will be expected to do the same. They might not be first but have a chance to do it right. We'll see soon enough if they are.
    ...and BTW Google announced it was working on this in 2015, and demoed it in 2016, three years before LG attempted a similar "air motion" feature. 
    https://www.androidcentral.com/what-can-soli-chip-bring-pixel-4

Both Motorola and HTC were in their twilights when Google bailed 'em out. Moto has gone on to see some success under new ownership while the future for HTC is pretty iffy. At least both were given a second life, not sure what they'll do with it. 
    edited July 2019 gutengelCarnage
  • Reply 16 of 41
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I’ve found facial recognition iPhone unlocking both very reliable and incredibly convenient. Glasses, hats, dark Oakley prescription sunglasses, in the dark with no glasses on at all. Just works. 

AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Of course they are. Despite not being first to implement new spec bumps, Apple leads the way for the others on general correctness. 
    Apple is first more than they get credit for.

People are always willing to reach back to some quirky irrelevant, failed feature on a knockoff and claim Apple copied it. lol

gatorguy said:
    crosslad said:
    The Soli chip (yes it's an actual chipset developed by Google) should make Google's implementation far more granular than the failed effort by LG. Apple would be expected to take an idea and improve it, now Google will be expected to do the same. They might not be first but have a chance to do it right. We'll see soon enough if they are.
    ...and BTW Google announced it was working on this in 2015, and demoed it in 2016, three years before LG attempted a similar "air motion" feature. 
    https://www.androidcentral.com/what-can-soli-chip-bring-pixel-4

Both Motorola and HTC were in their twilights when Google bailed 'em out. Moto has gone on to see some success under new ownership while the future for HTC is pretty iffy. At least both were given a second life, not sure what they'll do with it. 

Apple does what they want. They ignore the noise.

This is why they're first in odd areas, seem to "improve" on an old idea and get things right on launch day. Because they've been working on something they believe in, not reactionary to crappy features.
    StrangeDayspscooter63gilly33netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 41
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    Yes you have to believe that Google wants to take this technology to Minority Report level of scanning your face and advertising directly to you at the gas pump, dressing room, bathroom, in the car, etc. Sad day if we are all wearing masks to hide our identities.
    edited July 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    I notice Apples FaceID only has 1 IR camera, so clearly Google's is going to be more accurate and more full proof, especially since it's using 2 IR cameras which are offset at the top.    Therefore give you a better 3D scan compared to Apples FaceID.
    Carnagenetmage
  • Reply 20 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    To date, Apple’s implementation of FaceID is the best on the market. (We all remember Samsung’s half-hearted try that could be fooled by your HP inkjet printer) My only complaint with it is that I’m so addicted that I get annoyed when I have a mask on at work and it doesn’t work! It truly is astonishingly accurate and fast. It’s no wonder that other companies are looking to copy it.

For all the people bashing google for shameless imitation, there are plenty of areas where Apple has copied Android. The usual response in those cases is “Apple isn’t about being first, they’re about being the best,” or something to that effect. Why then is it ok for Apple to copy other companies, but not the other way around?

If Google wants to put a FaceID system on their phone, fine. Go ahead - I still won’t buy it.
    edited July 2019 gatorguycroprmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra