Wish list: 9 new CarPlay features for iOS 12

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
     According to Apple, wireless CarPlay requires "Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi access point and location data. Bluetooth is used to discover and reconnect CarPlay devices. ... The Wi-Fi link is used for all audio and video transfer to the CarPlay protocol, as well as iAP2 data transfer."

My Ford has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location data, yet Ford still requires it to be physically attached for CarPlay.

Any chance that's a power related thing?  Perhaps Ford thinks that without a USB cable, a long drive might drain the phone and cause navigation of something to fail, or prompt someone to fumble for a power cable while driving?
  • Reply 62 of 72
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
     According to Apple, wireless CarPlay requires "Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi access point and location data. Bluetooth is used to discover and reconnect CarPlay devices. ... The Wi-Fi link is used for all audio and video transfer to the CarPlay protocol, as well as iAP2 data transfer."

My Ford has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location data, yet Ford still requires it to be physically attached for CarPlay.

Any chance that's a power related thing?  Perhaps Ford thinks that without a USB cable, a long drive might drain the phone and cause navigation of something to fail, or prompt someone to fumble for a power cable while driving?
    I don't think so. Most people have car chargers anyway. I've been reviewing a ton of wireless car chargers lately and I'd love to be able to use them but there is no point when I still have to plug in my phone.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 63 of 72
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    entropys said:
    The lack of aftermarket head units with wireless CarPlay is very strange. Particularly annoying is that Android Auto only just got wireless capability recently, and Kenwood have put out a whole series of head units with wireless android auto, but not wireless CarPlay! Why? Is it a marketing deal with google, or is it some stupid hardware requirement on Apple’s behalf? 

It it would be interesting to know what is Kenwood’s reasoning, if you could penetrate the wall of BS or should I say marketing speak.
    It's Kenwood being bad. Alpine did wireless carplay. Kenwood could, too.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Not a single person mentioned the two I'd like to see:

Battery indicator in the status panel. There is one, but it only shows when using wireless CarPlay. Come on, show my status so I know if I'll have charge when I arrive.

The speed - if you know the speed limit, and you know the speed I'm traveling, do something useful like let me know if I'm going over the speed limit.

edited April 2018
  • Reply 65 of 72
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    vmarks said:
    Not a single person mentioned the two I'd like to see:

Battery indicator in the status panel. There is one, but it only shows when using wireless CarPlay. Come on, show my status so I know if I'll have charge when I arrive.

The speed - if you know the speed limit, and you know the speed I'm traveling, do something useful like let me know if I'm going over the speed limit.

I mention that second one a bit, though maybe not as specific. I hate how you have to be navigating to see the speed. I think they should show it in maps regardless, or like you suggest, somewhere else consistently. It is super useful.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    I completely agree on the speed  (at least display the limit - better yet, the limit and a warning at a customizable amount over)- it would be incredibly useful, especially on secondary highways where the limit dips randomly due to towns (cynics would say that the police lower the limit well outside of town, then wait for the driver who didn't see the speed limit sign they hid in a bush).

• Reply 67 of 72
    Access to the phone keypad is disabled while driving yet you can browse (and read) page after page of podcasts including descriptions. Makes no sense! Impossible to place calls that require key input -"press one for support"
    My car's infotainment allows it except when using CarPlay 
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Waze on Car Play wold be great. music playback would be nice to be able to display cover art. And Home Kit integration would be cool.

My main complaint is, there should be a top-line\menu bar that displays some essential info like clock, direction, temperature, speed limit, and other essentials the car manufacturer and\or consumer can customize. Putting the display in Car play mode should not take away from essential vehicle operation stuff.
    h2p
  • Reply 69 of 72

macxpress said:
    Alex1N said:
    Still no CarPlay support by Toyota here in Australia, apparently. Very, very annoying. Especially as their current ‘smartphone’ ‘interface’ is atrociously awful. Maybe Apple could pull their collective finger out and talk to Mr Toyota. Surely it can’t be that difficult.
    Or, you could just not buy a Toyota? Speak with your dollars, not on a forum. When Toyota starts losing sales because customers want Apple CarPlay and its not available then they'll either put it in and get their customers back, or decide to keep it out and continue losing customers. 

I recall seeing the Toyota is finally caving and will offer Car Ply in a few 2019 models.

h2p
  • Reply 70 of 72
    odbashodbash Posts: 1member
    Supporting Waze and google maps is definitely on my top wishes for CarPlay, but one that you did not mention that is the most important to me is showing album art.  Currently, the album art is very faint in the background to the point where it is irrelevant. 
  • Reply 71 of 72
    Jetsetter787Jetsetter787 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I second the Google/Waze idea, however if they just allowed Satellite Mapping in Carplay as in the App itself....It would be a great feature.
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Will an accessory manufacturer, or Apple, come up with a USB dongle to turn wired Carplay units into Wireless Carplay units? Is this viable, there are a lot of wired units out there.