Streaming holdout Tool coming to Apple Music, others on Aug. 2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Progressive metal band Tool has announced that the band's discography will appear on Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, and other streaming services starting Friday, Aug. 2.

Tool's Lateralus

The news comes alongside the reveal of "Fear Inoculum," due Aug. 30, the band's first new album in 13 years. It's not clear whether the complete Tool catalog will appear on streaming, but major releases like "Opiate," "Undertow," "AEnima," "Lateralus," and "10,000 Days" are confirmed.

Tool has been a conspicuous gap on streaming platforms, absent even as artists like The Beatles and Pink Floyd have conceded to demand. While rights may be an obstacle, famous bands have more often been hesitant to divert sales from downloads and physical copies, which pay far better. Even the most popular artists on streaming services often depend on touring and merchandise to actually make a living.

Streaming is easily the most popular source of paid music in the U.S. however, making it essential for exposure.

That segment has become increasingly competitive. Though Spotify retains a clear lead with 100 million Premium customers and still more people on its free tier, Apple Music recently surpassed 60 million paid listeners, and Amazon Music is reportedly growing faster than either of those two even if its listener base is smaller.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Streaming is super cool as a consumer. As an artist of sorts, it's a downer to see my album rack up 171 individual track listens, resulting in .0698 cents being credited to my account. I suppose .003 cents per listen would be more fun for someone with millions of fans. But, I reckon that's the price for some schmuck in middle of nowhere to get listens all over the world. That part is great.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I imagine you know way more about it than I do — but my feeling is that the new landscape as a result of recorded music being so cheap to consume is that almost no matter how big you are as an act you've got to tour to make money. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is actually opposite to how it used to be when the tours promoted the albums when they actually were the money-driver. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, as I always find these paradigm shifts interesting.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Streaming is super cool as a consumer. As an artist of sorts, it's a downer to see my album rack up 171 individual track listens, resulting in .0698 cents being credited to my account. I suppose .003 cents per listen would be more fun for someone with millions of fans. But, I reckon that's the price for some schmuck in middle of nowhere to get listens all over the world. That part is great.

I prefer my artists hungry and destitute - can really hear the urgency and pain behind their work. Soon as they get signed that passion is gone as they live the good life on mac ‘n cheese and gourmet hot dogs.
    randominternetpersonviclauyycjohnbsiriusargonaut
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Tool only had four prior albums, so that list + the new one is their complete catalog.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Tool Complete Catalog:

01. 72826 - Demo
    02. Opiate - EP
    03. Undertow - LP
    04. Ænema - LP
    05. Salival - Box Set
    06. Lateralus - LP
    07. Schism - DVD-A
    08. Parabola - DVD-A
    09. 10,000 Days - LP
    10. Vicarious - DVD-A
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Tool only had four prior albums, so that list + the new one is their complete catalog.
    We're including singles and other miscellaneous stuff in that definition.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Splitting hairs...LP releases alone are commonly referred to as "the catalog" for a given artist. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Schism is the only CD of theirs that I have. I will probably buy more of their albums now, as I have listened to a lot of them  but I wasn’t streaming them because I knew the band didn’t like streaming because of the lack of artist compensation. I’ll buy the albums so that they get paid more for that, then stream them using iTunes Match or whatever it ends up being called after iTunes is retired in the next OS.