Would you fight for your homeland?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What would you do if your country was unilaterally attacked because another country thought you had weapons of mass destruction but no proof?

Would you defend George Bush/Jean Cretien/Chirac/Blair/Whoever and your country to the death?

or

Would you lay down your weapons as commanded by the invading forces because they are not out to harm you, just kill your leader and put in a govt with a little more consideration for your attackers?

lets all pretend we are iraqis and are faced with this choice. Also consider, is it excusable to call someone a war criminal because they choose to defend their country from an international invasion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie

Would you lay down your weapons as commanded by the invading forces because they are not out to harm you, just kill your leader and put in a govt with a little more consideration for your attackers?

I think the situation is a bit more complicated than that. I wont lecture you, but if you think the only difference between the government we will install and the government that has power/previously had power is slightly better Iraqi-U.S. relations, you are dead wrong.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Only if it was called "The Motherland". Or maybe "The Mothership"....

• Reply 3 of 31
    death?

or

surrender?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Well yes its more complicated, because none of our countries HAVE a tyrant........but lets say we didn't have weapons and Jean Chretien was replaced by Saddam AND I knew what freedom was then I'd sit in a basement and wait for liberation.

However, if I beleived in my grand ruler in all his greatness and Godliness.....I'd fight fiercely until death...Which I think speaks well for some poor Iraqi brainwashees
  • Reply 5 of 31
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    If I were an Iraqi right now? I would do what it seems like the vast majority of them are doing. Get the hell out of the cities and try to survive and see what happens.

Would I fight a force I knew I couldn't defeat? Well it depends on how horrible I thought that force was.

It's an impossible question with too many variables.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    did any of u hear that france doesn't want the us/britan to govern Iraq once the war is over. They want the UN to take over but they shouldn't have a say in it because they were against it in the begining.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

did any of u hear that france doesn't want the us/britan to govern Iraq once the war is over. They want the UN to take over but they shouldn't have a say in it because they were against it in the begining.

**** the french at this point (as far as iraq goes) they stepped out when they said they would veto ANYTHING that is proposed in the UN

if they want say too bad...only way they are gonna get say is if they help iraq, and it still wont matter, the US overcomes

"The US is like a furnass, and once you light a fire under it, there is no limit to the head it can produce"

-Winston Churchill
  • Reply 8 of 31
    oh yeah and if i thought i had a chance i would...if i knew i could only slow them down, then i would put up the white flag
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I also think france wants in on this for cheaper oil if we will be controling the land.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Before we go on a UN and France bashing parade it should be said that the UN IS still a representative of the world....the US and Britain are not and I am not encourage by the news about US firms going to get the deals to reconstruct. I think I said this elsewhere but the countries around it (if the US admin is SMART) should be encouraged BY THE US/Canada/Europe to take as many contracts as is possible!

That would be an excellent way to get the cooperation machine working over there....although they may want to leave Turkey out of it
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

I also think france wants in on this for cheaper oil if we will be controling the land.

we dont get the land, we are just changing the regime...we migh get cheaper oil because the iraqi people might like us but we don't get control of the oil

the only thing we will be there doing is making sure their gov gets setup and running properly

u do know we dont get the land too right?
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

we dont get the land, we are just changing the regime...we migh get cheaper oil because the iraqi people might like us but we don't get control of the oil

the only thing we will be there doing is making sure their gov gets setup and running properly

u do know we dont get the land too right?

but our stroops will still be over there for a while keeping peace and seting it up.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I really don't see how that helps your previous point, Nano.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Quote:

but our stroops will still be over there for a while keeping peace and seting it up.

correct, but the troops won't be sending back oil
  • Reply 15 of 31
    side-note nano, u dont play Ghost Recon do ya?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    Quote:

"The US is like a furnass, and once you light a fire under it, there is no limit to the head it can produce"

-Winston Churchill

Are you sure that wasn't Ron Jeremy or Peter North?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by RodUK

Are you sure that wasn't Ron Jeremy or Peter North?

no i am not, i got that from smallville, and i havn't been able to verify but i like it alot...if u know other wise please tell
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

side-note nano, u dont play Ghost Recon do ya?

what the hell does that mean
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

what the hell does that mean

nm, its a computer game
  • Reply 20 of 31
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    If my family is threatened, I will fight.