iPhone's global marketshare dips to 10.1% amid rise of Samsung & Chinese brands

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2019
Apple's share of the global smartphone market fell year-over-year in the June quarter from 11.3% to 10.1%, attributable by a research firm mostly because of better performance by Chinese vendors and Korea's Samsung.

iPhone XR

Samsung's share advanced from 19.6% to 21.3%, keeping it the market leader, while second-place Huawei was up from 14.9% to 15.8%, Counterpoint Research said in a report issued on Wednesday. Xiaomi shifted from 8.8% to 9%, while Vivo grew from 7.3% to 7.5%, and Lenovo inched ahead from 2.5% to 2.6%.

Another party on the decline was LG, which slipped from 2.7% to 2.2%. Industry-wide smartphone shipments were down 1.2% to 360 million units.

Apple is estimated to have shipped 36.4 million iPhones during the quarter, a decrease from 41.3 million in 2018. That would give the company an average selling price (ASP) of about $713.90, based on Apple's reported $25.986 billion in iPhone revenues. If Counterpoint's numbers are accurate, ASP is up slightly from $713.56 a year ago.

"The smartphone market slowdown is mainly due to China, which has continued to decline for two years now," Counterpoint wrote. "China alone accounts for over one-fourth of the global smartphone shipments and declined 9% YoY during the quarter. The heightened U.S.-China trade war during the quarter has further escalated the uncertainties of the smartphone market."

The firm backed Apple CEO Tim Cook's view that iPhone sales trends are improving, even if shipments and revenues were both lower.

"Apple's buyback programs and other marketing are dampening growing holding periods," it commented. "However, the lack of 5G over upcoming quarters may again increase holding periods."

Counterpoint's numbers are for the entire smartphone market, including extremely low-end models, priced as low as $29.

2019 iPhones are expected to forego 5G, relegating support to 2020 models instead. Devices with an Apple-designed 5G modem could launch as soon as 2021, but rivals like Samsung already have 5G hardware on sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    5G smartphones are as useless today as can of sardines....there is not enough providers are offering 5G services. Completely hype at this time...LTE are not even common in all areas...
    can these research firm publish what this Android company made on having the large market-shares?? None?? I guess you’re as fake a an empty can of sardines.
    jahblademagman1979AppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    So Samsung grows market share, reports revenue (in total) for the last quarter about the same level as Apple (with decreasing market share) - and surprise: it doesn’t help Samsung in profits. But Apple hits a record third quarter. 
    So much for flooding the market with “see what sticks”. You earn what you deliver. 
    jahblademagman1979pscooter63AppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    That signifies nothing. Just noise without signal. Unlike other brands whose only achievement is a smartphone, Apple has many products that sell, such as iPad, Watch, AirPods and certainly Mac. I’am the one who caused iPhone’s marketshare to shrink by one for example, this year instead of updating my iPhone 8+ to an XR with good trade-in value, I purchased Watch 4, 10.5” iPad Air and a Pencil without any trade-in. Put the blame on me for shrinking iPhone’s market share...
    edited July 2019 tmayjahbladeAppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is a hell of a lot more than just iPhones.

When I first became an Apple fan a very long time ago, iPhones didnt even exist yet. The same is true for countless other Apple users too.

Apple was smart not to report iPhone sales anymore. Anal.....ysts have placed far too much importance on it, and anybody who thinks that Apple only means iPhone is clueless and ignorant. Apple is raking in the billions from Macs, iPads, wearables and services, and those will only continue to grow.

iPhones will continue to sell well in the future too, when new models release etc, but its a good thing that iPhones will no longer be the main, primary metric by which Apple is judged by.

And then there are a bunch of services coming which havent even released yet, like Apple card, Apple Tv + and Apple Arcade.

Things are looking mighty nice for Apple right about now. 
    tmaypscooter63AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    That signifies nothing. Just noise without signal. Unlike other brands whose only achievement is a smartphone, Apple has many products that sell, such as iPad, Watch, AirPods and certainly Mac. I’am the one who caused iPhone’s marketshare to shrink by one for example, this year instead of updating my iPhone 8+ to an XR with good trade-in value, I purchased Watch 4, 10.5” iPad Air and a Pencil without any trade-in. Put the blame on me for shrinking iPhone’s market share...
    Damn you!!!! As punishment, you should probably pick up some AirPods or Pro Beats. :)
    AppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    ivauaivaua Posts: 6member
    I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about 5G, the network which in is testing mode EVERYWHERE with a lot of question to quality and stability of that type of communication. On top of this frequencies are not harmonized across the globe, for a mobile phone OEM it is a nightmare to produce models for specific market with questionable possibilities of roaming in 5G. A technology requiring a HUGE pile of money (incomparable to 3G/4G) for mobile operators to deploy the network. I would expect Apple in this case release 5G supported model not earlier than 2022, that's an optimistic scenario...
    AI_liaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I bought the iPhone one day after its launch in 2007 and a few other models through the years. This year I bought the iPhone XS it may be the last iPhone I buy and certainly the last iPhone I spend $1000 on. Apple plays around with pretty colors, metal to glass bodies and back again, switching button locations around then banishing buttons, each version of iOS is more complex than the previous, a new set of gestures keeps our muscle memory fit for 12 months until the new revolutionary update. Nothing last forever and today cell phones are mundane tools which we pay too much for and pay too much attention to. 
    AI_liasCarnage
  • Reply 8 of 20
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    ivaua said:
    I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about 5G, the network which in is testing mode EVERYWHERE with a lot of question to quality and stability of that type of communication. On top of this frequencies are not harmonized across the globe, for a mobile phone OEM it is a nightmare to produce models for specific market with questionable possibilities of roaming in 5G. A technology requiring a HUGE pile of money (incomparable to 3G/4G) for mobile operators to deploy the network. I would expect Apple in this case release 5G supported model not earlier than 2022, that's an optimistic scenario...
    There are some points to understand here.

The move to 5G Isn't in the same league as the move from 3G to 4G. 5G will involve expansion of existing 4G equipment (like upgrading 4G to 5G instead of a wholesale swap out. That's NSA which has been approved. SA is supported on the modem side (by Huawei at least) and many parts of the world are out of testing and deploying commercial 5G already. Also the new equipment (again from Huawe at least) has been designed with efficiency and deployment in mind so there is less likelihood of needing cranes etc or multiple people per install. Costs are much lower than for 4G. Also the overall footprint on new installations can be reduced enormously, cutting down on physical space, weight concerns and rents etc

Roaming doesn't seem to be a problem in the EU. Vodafone actually includes 5G roaming in its plans.

Coverage will improve and is improving every day.

Marketing is already having a field day with 5G and independently of deployment realities, this will seriously impact the mindset of consumers by Christmas.

An example: Vodafone Spain is currently the only major carrier offering 5G in Spain. It's advertisements go for the kill. After rolling off all the technological advantages of 5G they deliver the end message that will play on the minds of customers: "Does your carrier offer you this technology?"

You can fully expect handset makers (supported by carriers) to follow a similar line when it comes to pushing their handsets this Christmas.

They will want to create the idea that you need 5G.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    From 33% market share to 10% and dropping. It’s uncanny how this is playing out just like desktop PC’s. I see a lot of “yah, but...”’s commenting here from worried investors. As they should be. I don’t like Tim’s direction of only catering to the premium market - especially if selling ‘services’ is the future of Apple, as one feeds the other. More users in the ecosystem is the future and Apple under Cook with $10k Mac pros and 2k phones - is not going to achieve that. Throttling people’s property, $800 to fix a stuck key, gluing everything down... this is not user friendly behaviour that gets rewarded on the balance sheet in the long run. We can only hope a visionary with some sense off reality is waiting in the wings somewhere to take over the reins.
    caladanianpscooter63propod
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ivaua said:
    I can't understand why everyone is so concerned about 5G ...
    Because there are a bunch of supposed 'future' technologies they think will rely on the technology (ie. 'self-driving' cars) and fast peer-to-peer type communications between devices. The hype is just a bit too much to be believable, huh? You're going to take your 5G and like it, whether you want it or not, it seems. :)

rain22 said:
    From 33% market share to 10% and dropping. It’s uncanny how this is playing out just like desktop PC’s.
    Heh, yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We're seeing the whole Mac vs PC marketshare battle redux. But, just like then, I think it's mostly baloney and fairly irrelevant even if it isn't.

First, I don't think marketshare really matters much beyond a certain point. You have to have a certain amount to draw platform development, and I suppose 'the buzz' keeps marketing and Wall Street happier, as much as that matters. But, after that point, it's just bragging rights more than anything. (I didn't not buy a BMW because they are fraction of the marketshare of Ford or Chevy.)

Second, marketshare has always been a tricky term that doesn't mean what many think it means. I'm guessing this 'marketshare' is also based on shipments in a quarter. That's more a 'sales' type figure than actual marketshare (what you'd assume the word means). What would actually matter - if anything - would be how many active units of a particular platform are out there. Apple has always been much, much higher in that regard than marketshare figures indicate.

Their products stay in use longer, are actually used (vs sitting in a junk-drawer), and are used by real users more vs something like a point-of-sales terminal (which matters to developers or the surrounding eco-system of accessories, etc.).

Third, as has been often pointed out (and hinted at above), what really matters is profits (at least to the company). Like BMW or Porsche, it doesn't much matter that they only have a fraction of the market. And, in terms of luxury/fashion, that's often an attractive feature (exclusivity).
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 11 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    If this is based on sales then it's baloney. I know a lady who buys a knew knockoff iPhone every 2 months. Meanwhile iPhone 6 is still supported and largely in use but those people aren't adding any "marketshare" because they're using their iPhone longer or using a hand-me-down that is blazing fast and still works.

If this stat is true for any reason then that is NOT GOOD no matter how many people say marketshare doesn't matter. We should not live in a world where everyone uses stolen IP from companies who worked hard to make things possible.

I believe if TV+ delivers great content and stays iPhone exclusive, it will be a big push for the public to drop the knockoffs. Apple Card, News, and Arcade are only gonna help adoption as android becomes an even messier fragment stew.

rain22 said:
    From 33% market share to 10% and dropping. It’s uncanny how this is playing out just like desktop PC’s. I see a lot of “yah, but...”’s commenting here from worried investors. As they should be. I don’t like Tim’s direction of only catering to the premium market - especially if selling ‘services’ is the future of Apple, as one feeds the other. More users in the ecosystem is the future and Apple under Cook with $10k Mac pros and 2k phones - is not going to achieve that. Throttling people’s property, $800 to fix a stuck key, gluing everything down... this is not user friendly behaviour that gets rewarded on the balance sheet in the long run. We can only hope a visionary with some sense off reality is waiting in the wings somewhere to take over the reins.
    Why do people quote the most expensive possible models to point out that "Apple is greedy"? ridiculous. The latest iPhone model is $749 with older models available.

"We can only hope a visionary with some sense off reality is waiting in the wings somewhere to take over the reins."
    Sorry but inventions under Cook are taking off. Did you not read the financial report?
    ApplePay, AirPods, Services, Apple Watch are increasing revenue by the billions.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 12 of 20
    AppleExposed said:
    "We can only hope a visionary with some sense off reality is waiting in the wings somewhere to take over the reins."
    Sorry but inventions under Cook are taking off. Did you not read the financial report?
    ApplePay, AirPods, Services, Apple Watch are increasing revenue by the billions.
    I think an issue for longer-term Apple fans, is that half (or more) of that list don't do much in terms of innovation or 'changing the world' which we got used to seeing Apple do. If you're talking about Wall Street, then maybe it is a different story. Two different objectives.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I think that should read “estimated 10.1%” now everything is estimated.
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    5g is not an issue just now as coverage in the uk is non existent really. 

The bigger issue for Apple is that it is seeking to adjust from reliance on booming iPhone sales. The premium market is slowing and Android is becoming very competitive in the midrange area creating real value there. Apple don’t want to go there as it will lower their profits. However, in order to keep their services sector growing they need to continue to add new users to the ecosystem. How they balance that I have no idea but dropping sales is probably not going to be ideal for very long. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    ugh here we go again...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    cgWerks said:
    AppleExposed said:
    I think an issue for longer-term Apple fans, is that half (or more) of that list don't do much in terms of innovation or 'changing the world' which we got used to seeing Apple do. If you're talking about Wall Street, then maybe it is a different story. Two different objectives.

I disagree. Watch and AirPods are super popular and innovative with knockoffs attempting to replicate just like iPhone/Mac/iPad.
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 17 of 20
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    cgWerks said:
    AppleExposed said:
    Hm, with Jobs in charge, Apple produced how many "changing the world" products?  Apple II, Mac, iPod, iPhone.  Roughly one "changing the world" product every 10 years.   Tim Cook has been at the helm for roughly 10 years and Apple has come out with Apple Watch and AirPods and a bunch of services.  I'd classify the watch as a "changing the world" kind of product  as any of those under Jobs, except maybe the iPhone - the most successful product in the entire history of the word.  And, from a human health perspective, it's obviously even more world changing for those whose lives were saved by it already.

So I think people give Tim Cook too little credit.  It's a heck of a lot harder to run a $1T company than it is a $1b company - and with one "changing the world" product already under his belt, Tim has managed to keep the rate of innovation at least similar to what Jobs accomplished.  With AR coming, he may even outdo the success of the iPhone.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Spot on. I’m still rocking an iPhone 7+. Upgraded to Series 4 watch, another Series 4 watch for wife, iPhone XS for wife, bought a bunch of HomeKit gear, 10.5” iPad Pro, Apple Pencil ✏️ and in 2017 a highly specced iMac 5K. 

Itching for a HomePod, 12.9” iPad Pro (with pencil and keyboard), and more HomeKit gear. 

So it is also my fault that iPhone revenue has dipped below the norm. 
    edited August 2019 cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 20
    AppleExposed said:
    I disagree. Watch and AirPods are super popular and innovative with knockoffs attempting to replicate just like iPhone/Mac/iPad.
    I'll give you the Watch. I was initially somewhat skeptical in that it seems like a product looking for a market, but it has done better than I would have though, and the addition of cellular and semi-independence from the phone are starting to make it useful. The health aspect is also an interesting vertical that shows promise (though I still think it is promoting a false-emphasis in terms of fitness... ie. it shouldn't really be as popular as it is in that sector, but the people buying it think it's great).

The AirPods, yes are selling well. But, I don't see much of anything game-changing about them. They are fancy bluetooth earbuds.

tjwolf said:
    Hm, with Jobs in charge, Apple produced how many "changing the world" products?  Apple II, Mac, iPod, iPhone.  Roughly one "changing the world" product every 10 years.   Tim Cook has been at the helm for roughly 10 years and Apple has come out with Apple Watch and AirPods and a bunch of services.  I'd classify the watch as a "changing the world" kind of product  as any of those under Jobs, except maybe the iPhone - the most successful product in the entire history of the word.  And, from a human health perspective, it's obviously even more world changing for those whose lives were saved by it already.

So I think people give Tim Cook too little credit.  It's a heck of a lot harder to run a $1T company than it is a $1b company - and with one "changing the world" product already under his belt, Tim has managed to keep the rate of innovation at least similar to what Jobs accomplished.  With AR coming, he may even outdo the success of the iPhone.
    I see your point, though I'm not sure I'd limit the 'world changing' to just the hardware. A lot of what really changed things in terms of computing regarding Apple was UI innovations, big software leaps/package bundling, etc. 

As I mentioned above, I'll give credit to the Apple Watch in terms of being somewhat revolutionary. I'm not sure I'd call it world-changing at this point, but maybe it will be, someday. If a product saves your life, sure that's pretty important (to that person). But, the same could be said about lots of products (lots of things can help save someone's life in a particular circumstance).

Yes, Tim has done a great job of running the business aspect under tremendous growth. I don't think many would fault him in that. He's clearly one of the best.

re: AR - I'm not too hopeful on that front. It has applications, but I think the idea of it being some kind of popular generalized product is unlikely.