This Apple Watch charger is better than Apple's in every way

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's own Apple Watch charger is as boring as it gets. Native Union's new Belt Cable bests Apple's in nearly every way.

Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch
Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch is better than Apple's charger

Apple's can't compete

Unlike Lightning cables, the Apple Watch charging puck isn't subject to near as much scrutiny. One big reason is likely that people don't use their Apple Watch while on the charger, like they do their iPhones. When using an iPhone that is plugged in, it creates additional strain on the cable.

That isn't to say Apple Watch charging pucks don't go bad -- they do. Especially if you travel with it in any capacity.

Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch has a nonslip grip
Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch has nonslip grip

Apple's cables are also slippery on table tops, can easily be tangled, often too short, and aren't very durable. Fortunately, Apple now allows third parties to create their own Apple Watch charging pucks and have them certified to guarantee compatibility.

We've seen our fair share of these cables, often with small tweaks and lower price tags to undercut Apple's own. None have really impressed us until Native Union's Belt Cable showed up in Apple Stores.

The Belt Cable for Apple Watch is a nylon wrapped anti-tangle cable that exceeds Apple's in nearly every way. This cable, whether for at home or on the go, resists tangling thanks to the more protective outer material as well as a leather and metal cable tie that is permanently affixed to the cord.

Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch looks stellar with aluminum sides
Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch looks great with aluminum sides

Surrounding the puck itself is anodized aluminum that has a dark matte finish that looks metallic and sleek. There is also a nonslip rubberized bottom to the charging puck, solving our perpetual issue of our Apple Watch sliding around the end table at night.

Native Union also hit the sweet spot with length. Apple's default is one meter, which can often times be just too short. The four foot length chosen is just right, reaching our charger easily without being too long and annoying to carry.

Native Union Belt cable looks great in our Peak Design Tech Pouch
Native Union Belt cable looks great in our Peak Design Tech Pouch

We have a habit of traveling quite a bit and we are always taking a spare Apple Watch charger with us. We've tried so many alternatives. The Belkin BoostUp charger is very nice but the glossy metal is as slippery as Apple's. Smaller companies such as Oittm, AMZ, and Blandstrs are more affordable, but are plastic and feel cheap.

To be fair, Apple does offer a stainless steel charger and a longer length version, but they still suffer from the other issues that we've laid out. The Belt Cable from Native Union finally offers something different -- if just subtly so -- to help it stand out.

If you don't have a second Apple Watch charger yet, this is the one to check out.

The cord for almost everyone

There is one area where we understand the hesitation of users -- the design. Personally, we dig the repeating black and white chevron pattern that works its way down the entirety of the cable. There are going to those out there that aren't a fan and prefer the more understated simplicity of Apple's own.

Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch in the Peak Design Tech Pouch
Native Union Belt Cable for Apple Watch in the Peak Design Tech Pouch

For being fans of a company as design-forward as Apple, we absolutely can't fault someone for not liking how the Native Union cable looks. If it isn't your taste, it isn't your taste.

If however, you do dig not only the design of the cable but all of its other stellar qualities as well -- the matte anodized aluminum, reinforced nylon braided cord, nonslip base, leather cable tie, added length, extended lifetime warranty -- then go ahead and pick yourself up another charging puck.

They can be nabbed on Amazon for $49.99 with Prime shipping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don’t need this since I don’t have an Apple Watch, but braided cables really are the only way to go. Apple should change all of their iOS device cables to braided. They’re just far more durable.
    1STnTENDERBITShodarnapoleon_phoneapartneo-techsuperklotonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    I'm still waiting for an Anker PowerCore battery with inbuilt Chi charger for the Apple Watch. Then I can charge the phone and watch from one battery without bringing a separate charging puck cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    I actually have the opposite view for cable length when I'm traveling. Since virtually every hotel has USB or AC outlets built into the nightstand area in some capacity, I'd be happier with an 18" cable.
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I don’t need this since I don’t have an Apple Watch, but braided cables really are the only way to go. Apple should change all of their iOS device cables to braided. They’re just far more durable.
    Braided cable and reinforced neck.  It should be a minimum for any charging cable, but especially for cables on devices that travel.

This cable looks slick.  Ticks 3 boxes: braided, reinforced neck, and non-slip.  Plus it looks pretty cool. 
    Andrew_OSUFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    mike1 said:
    I actually have the opposite view for cable length when I'm traveling. Since virtually every hotel has USB or AC outlets built into the nightstand area in some capacity, I'd be happier with an 18" cable.
    Good news! With the built in cable tie, you can only extend a small portion of the cable and you are set!

I usually take a four-port charger with me that I use with my watch, phone, camera, and iPad/Mac and it sits on the floor. That keeps things relatively tidy though I do need more than a small 1-foot cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    The Watch is a failure and a piece of junk
  • Reply 7 of 28
    sgordonsgordon Posts: 53member
    Why not have a puck with either a lightning or usb c socket ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    dougd said:
    Did you have too much stupid for breakfast?
    Solitjwolfseanjneo-techgilly33superklotonmilleronjony0watto_cobraedac2
  • Reply 9 of 28
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Apple should make future Watch models compatible with any general Qi wireless charger, and not require its own dedicated puck.

I just returned from a trip, and having to carry an additional cable whose sole function was to charge the Watch was silly.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Many of the things I used the Watch for I can now do with the HomePod. I will probably love the Watch again when you no longer need an iPhone to sync it with or a matching iPhone service contract. 
  • Reply 11 of 28
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    "This Apple Watch charger is better than Apple's in every way" - well, except cost.  Apple's charger comes free with the watch :-)

I guess this $50 accessory makes sense for road warriors, but for the rest of us - who travel 1-2 a year - the charger that came with the watch is just dandy.  It ain't gonna fray or break when it sits next to your night stand 99% of the time.  We interact with it a total of, what, 3 seconds every day, so its slipperiness or its tendency to tangle isn't going to matter either.
    seanjgilly33beowulfschmidtmilleronwatto_cobraJaphey
  • Reply 12 of 28
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    mike1 said:
    I keep one of these in my travel bag for that same reason. It works great.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    Every third party charger I've seen has had an Apple puck embedded in it and this one appears no different in that regard. I base that on the fact that this puck is suspiciously thick.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Having a non-gripping back isn’t an issue for my charger. I charge my watch while the watch is on it’s side ski can check the time when I want. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    dougd said:
    That sounds better in your head. 
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 28
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I use the elaborate stand that looks like a Classic Mac. I love it. It looks cool and it anchors the watch. 

https://www.elago.com/w-stand_apple-watch/w3-stand-white
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    $50 and it isn’t USB-C. No thanks. I’ll take the $29 official USB-C charger from Apple instead. 
  • Reply 18 of 28
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    neilm said:
    dougd said:
    Did you have too much stupid for breakfast?
    Just wanted to be noticed I bet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    tjwolf said:
    "This Apple Watch charger is better than Apple's in every way" - well, except cost.  Apple's charger comes free with the watch :-)

I guess this $50 accessory makes sense for road warriors, but for the rest of us - who travel 1-2 a year - the charger that came with the watch is just dandy.  It ain't gonna fray or break when it sits next to your night stand 99% of the time.  We interact with it a total of, what, 3 seconds every day, so its slipperiness or its tendency to tangle isn't going to matter either.
    I agree. Definitely for those that travel often. Ours just sits on the night stand. Yeah and $50 no!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    What's with the heavie (aka monkey fist)?

watto_cobra