Analysts predict Apple Pencil support in 2019 iPhone - again

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2019
An analyst prediction for the 2019 iPhone refresh has suggested the inclusion of support for the Apple Pencil, a potential feature that has occasionally surfaced in rumors over the last few years, but has yet to actually make an appearance in the final product.

A report by Citi Research following Tuesday's Apple quarterly financial results has, as other analysts have done in their own investor notes, offered suggestions for what to expect from this year's iPhone updates. The list of specifications are in line with other predictions, but it notably also includes a reference to the Apple Pencil.

"Support for iPhone Pencil/Stylus" is one of the listed features Citi Research believes is on the way, reports Business Insider, alongside a bezel-free screen, larger batteries, and the triple rear camera setup on two of the models. There is also the claim there will be a 10-megapixel front-facing camera, while the rear sensors will be 14-megapixel versions.

Citi also believes the two triple-camera models will cost $1,099 and $999 respectively of physical size, while the third with a dual-camera arrangement will start from $749.

The prediction from Citi Research echoes an often-repeated rumor that stylus support of some kind would be included in the iPhone. Two reports in August 2018 proposed the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max would support the Apple Pencil, while one from October 2017 suggested Apple engineers were not only working on the concept, but that it could surface in the 2019 versions.

Since the rumors began of iPhone Apple Pencil support, Apple has already moved on to its second generation of the accessory, with each generation able to be used only on specific models of iPad or iPad Pro, and with the Apple Pencil 2 adding wireless charging and a tapping mechanic.

Other rumors and speculation for the iPhone class of 2019 has the collection including two OLED display models and one LCD, similar to the 2018 models, the removal of 3D Touch from all models in favor of Haptic Touch, and an upgraded Taptic Engine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think Steve just rolled over...
    AtomikTacodasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    This is a newly granted patent. Read yesterday in Apple News. Check patentlyapple.com.
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Giant pencil, small phone. I don't see the point.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    This is a newly granted patent. Read yesterday in Apple News. Check patentlyapple.com.
    It isn't the first one of its kind. Apple has had a patent on the iPhone/Stylus concept with an Apple Pencil-like product since 2016.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Unless there's an earthquake, Steve ain't rollin' over.  The man's dead.  Please don't misguidedly invoke his memory.  His stylus quote was uttered at a different point in time, referencing different tech, and in a context completely different from today's tech.  Also the man wasn't intractable in his though processes.  That quote was uttered over a decade ago.  Things have changed.  If he was alive today, I'd bet he'd consider a lot of the thoughts he had a dozen years ago to be no longer be relevant.  Pretty sure it's the same way with you, me, and everyone else.  

On topic:  I personally think it was only a matter of time before the iPhone gained stylus support.  I also think the iPhone is going to get it's own iPhone sized version next.  The key here is, just like with the iPad, it's an accessory not a requirement.  Those who don't want one don't have to get one.  Choice is a good thing.  
    shark5150tmaymuthuk_vanalingammacplusplusbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Unless there's an earthquake, Steve ain't rollin' over.  The man's dead.  Please don't misguidedly invoke his memory.  His stylus quote was uttered at a different point in time, referencing different tech, and in a context completely different from today's tech.  Also the man wasn't intractable in his though processes.  That quote was uttered over a decade ago.  Things have changed.  If he was alive today, I'd bet he'd consider a lot of the thoughts he had a dozen years ago to be no longer be relevant.  Pretty sure it's the same way with you, me, and everyone else.  

On topic:  I personally think it was only a matter of time before the iPhone gained stylus support.  I also think the iPhone is going to get it's own iPhone sized version next.  The key here is, just like with the iPad, it's an accessory not a requirement.  Those who don't want one don't have to get one.  Choice is a good thing.  
    There's a reason why we didn't include the Jobs quote here. Styli at the time were awkward, and poorly executed. Today's Apple Pencils are nothing like the styli of 2009.
    roundaboutnow1STnTENDERBITSshark5150tmaydoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21

There's a reason why we didn't include the Jobs quote here. Styli at the time were awkward, and poorly executed. Today's Apple Pencils are nothing like the styli of 2009.
    Umm?  How is an Apple pencil any less awkward than, say a stylus that tucks into a slot in the device when not being used?

Admittedly, they do more, but that makes them no less awkward -- which was Steve's main gripe with them:   He thought fingers made the best styli.
  • Reply 8 of 21

Wow, nice meltdown on something that was absolutely justified for him to express. Jobs wasn't a fan of a stylus for phones because he understood it's a device that's carried in the pocket, purse, etc. which makes no sense to tag along another device that has limited use scenarios when we have 10 built-in styluses. Primary use and benefits of a stylus will always be on a tablet sized device or larger. You charge the Apple pencil through the lightning port, separate USB charger or magnetic attachment on 2nd gen. This obviously creates less than desirable scenarios for a phone that have to be overcome by the design. No one wants a stylus sticking out of their phone while it's charging and they need to use it. Having another charging cable/adapter to mess with is quickly becoming antiquated and the magnetic charging is another process that will have an affect on the phone from both a design and power standpoint. Pretty amazing for you to launch into a preachy lecture without thoroughly thinking over the scenario. The natural touch use and design of the iPhone has not changed in such a way since Jobs announced the first iPhone to necessitate the need for a stylus. If Apple were to keep the pencil at the current size and bring it to the iPhone it would be laughable. A smaller version would have some appeal to a select audience but after a short period as more folding devices,etc. enter the market a stylus on iPhone will go the way of the Mac Cube. So, please don't misguidedly tell other people their perspective is invalid when it's very much based on fact and reality.
    GeorgeBMacdasanman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21

Wow, nice meltdown on something that was absolutely justified for him to express. Jobs wasn't a fan of a stylus for phones because he understood it's a device that's carried in the pocket, purse, etc. which makes no sense to tag along another device that has limited use scenarios when we have 10 built-in styluses. Primary use and benefits of a stylus will always be on a tablet sized device or larger. You charge the Apple pencil through the lightning port, separate USB charger or magnetic attachment on 2nd gen. This obviously creates less than desirable scenarios for a phone that have to be overcome by the design. No one wants a stylus sticking out of their phone while it's charging and they need to use it. Having another charging cable/adapter to mess with is quickly becoming antiquated and the magnetic charging is another process that will have an affect on the phone from both a design and power standpoint. Pretty amazing for you to launch into a preachy lecture without thoroughly thinking over the scenario. The natural touch use and design of the iPhone has not changed in such a way since Jobs announced the first iPhone to necessitate the need for a stylus. If Apple were to keep the pencil at the current size and bring it to the iPhone it would be laughable. A smaller version would have some appeal to a select audience but after a short period as more folding devices,etc. enter the market a stylus on iPhone will go the way of the Mac Cube. So, please don't misguidedly tell other people their perspective is invalid when it's very much based on fact and reality.
    Meltdown?  Did you write that looking in a mirror?  We all know what was going on a decade ago.  Has nothing to do with today.  Trying to use the same arguments from then makes no sense.  Steve ain't rollin' over.  George's opinion is his own.  I disagree with it.  I only read the first an last sentences in your missive so I don't know if I disagree with it or not.  Probably disagree considering what I did read.  We'll never know.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Oh, how about stylus support for the Apple Watch! /s

p.s. Anyone know what glue to use to reattach the screen for an Apple Watch.  Mine came loose a few weeks ago.  The poor screen is only hanging on my a short ribbon cable.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    This doesn't have anything to do with Steve's quote. He said "If you need to use a stylus..." You won't ever need to use the Apple Pencil to use your iPhone, just like you don't need it to use your iPad Pro. It's an accessory, not a necessity.

I may not have the quote exactly correct, but he was specifically referring to the phones at the time which often used targets too small to hit with fingers.
    muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21

Meltdown?  Did you write that looking in a mirror?  We all know what was going on a decade ago.  Has nothing to do with today.  Trying to use the same arguments from then makes no sense.  Steve ain't rollin' over.  George's opinion is his own.  I disagree with it.  I only read the first an last sentences in your missive so I don't know if I disagree with it or not.  Probably disagree considering what I did read.  We'll never know.
    Yeh, pretty much a meltdown.
    Simply saying "things have changed" without giving any hint as to exactly what changed to make a stylus suddenly desirable does not make for much of an argument.

The best argument for them that I have seen so far is:  "It's optional.  Use it if you need it or want it."
    But, that doesn't change what Steve thought of it.   He kept a very close handle on 'his' products.   And, that was my primary point.  It wasn't so much about the benefits or problems of using a stylus on a phone -- but that this goes directly against his direction.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 13 of 21
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 777member
    It isn't the first one of its kind. Apple has had a patent on the iPhone/Stylus concept with an Apple Pencil-like product since 2016.

Don’t forget the Newton.
    Development started in 1987 and they started shipping in 1993.
    So, Apple has quite a long history with stylus/pen computing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Why is that they predict a pencil for iphone when you ALREADY can use a stylus? Having a $100 pencil on iPhone makes no sense.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Talk about a useless feature. Gonna take notes on your iPhone eh?

i guess it would be good for that game where you draw with your friends. But I suck at that anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Apple Pencil never replaces the multitouch experience, it is conceived as an additional tool, think of it as an accessibility device if you wish. XS Max offers enough space to justify Pencil support.
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    netrox said:
    Why is that they predict a pencil for iphone when you ALREADY can use a stylus? Having a $100 pencil on iPhone makes no sense.
    You can’t write, sign, or draw with a stylus. Apple Pencil is not a stylus, it is... a digital pencil. It is the first and foremost digital clone of an analog tool, a technological breakthrough on its own.  It requires a higher screen refresh rate to match the natural fluidity of an analog pencil’s movement.
    edited August 2019 randominternetpersonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21

anome said:
    This doesn't have anything to do with Steve's quote. He said "If you need to use a stylus..." You won't ever need to use the Apple Pencil to use your iPhone, just like you don't need it to use your iPad Pro. It's an accessory, not a necessity.

I may not have the quote exactly correct, but he was specifically referring to the phones at the time which often used targets too small to hit with fingers.
    Certainly. That was Pen Computing paradigm he was against. That motto belongs to Microsoft and that sort of “computing” never evolved beyond personal digital assistants, Palm Pilot being the most known example. iPhone and iOS with multitouch interface put an end to pen computing paradigm.
    muthuk_vanalingamanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21

Yeh, pretty much a meltdown.
    Simply saying "things have changed" without giving any hint as to exactly what changed to make a stylus suddenly desirable does not make for much of an argument.

The best argument for them that I have seen so far is:  "It's optional.  Use it if you need it or want it."
    But, that doesn't change what Steve thought of it.   He kept a very close handle on 'his' products.   And, that was my primary point.  It wasn't so much about the benefits or problems of using a stylus on a phone -- but that this goes directly against his direction.

It was no meltdown. He gave you the response you deserved. You were digging up Steve and a quote you didn't quite understand.

The context provided by @1STnTENDERBITS is what was needed on the thread, as was @Anome's clarification about the quote's actual reasoning.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Where was that thinking when everyone mock Samsung for including a stylus with the Note lineup?