Editorial: Apple's Q319 earnings destroy a mountain of fake data and false reporting

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    bells said:
    avon b7 said:
    Stopped reading after this:

"Cook didn't even mention the millions of Huawei Androids that were diverted from Western markets to the domestic Chinese market in a desperate rash of discounting promotions this year. That's pretty clearly because Huawei's phones are not being sold to iPhone users, despite the constant insistence that Huawei is somehow pushing Apple out of business in China, when clearly that's not the case. "

Please provide supporting links to back this claim up.

As for the supposed claim by certain watchers that Apple wouldn't be able to shift X series phones, why did Apple pay a 'penalty' clause to Samsung for not reaching the contracted orders for displays?

Clearly someone got their estimates very, very wrong.
    Talk about hypocrisy. Please provide something other than rumor that Apple paid Samsung a penalty clause. Where is a Samsung or Apple statement or Apple financial record that support that rumor? Don't give me an android central link. 

Even if true, the rumor concerns OLED displays not LCD displays. It is quite possible that Apple over estimated the more expensive iPhone XS sales that have OLED displays, but under estimated the less expensive iPhone XS sales which don't use OLED displays. So if accurate, Apple could sell less XSs than thought thereby owing Samsung a penalty, but selling way more XRs then thought resulting in a net gain for Apple. 

Where is the hypocrisy?

It wouldn't even matter if I provided a link to a simple rumour, be it from Android Central or wherever. The point is that something, anything could support the claim. Have you seen anything to support the claim he made? I haven't. That's why I asked for a simple link.

As for Samsung and the display order penalty, would you accept it if the news were published by AppleInsider?:

"Samsung would have seen an even lower number for quarter two if not for a one-time payment from Apple. The iPhone maker reimbursed the Korean tech giant an estimated 800 billion won for unfilled OLED orders after negotiations to find an alternative contractual solution failed."

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/212252/samsung-reports-56-profit-decline-in-q2-on-weak-memory-chip-sales/p1

As for your speculation on LCD panels cancelling out any losses on OLED panels, I think doesn't make a lot of sense.

If iPhone Xr handsets were selling so well, the discounts/trade-ins would never have materialised (much less before Christmas day) and what was originally claimed to be a limited time offer would not have continued to this very day.

That is why I feel those price reductions will be factored into the 2019 refresh.

gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 62 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    bells said:

avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:
    Kif Leswing of CNBC similarly stated that "Apple reiterated to me today that the vast majority of MacBook customers are happy and haven't had issues with the keyboard," but felt compelled to remark that "but to me, anecdotally, it feels like it's happening to everyone." "Everyone", meaning attention-whoring Youtubers and clickbait headlines. Anecdotally, not a single person I know has had KB issues with their 2016+ Macbooks.
    I was checking out MBP/Air options on Amazon prime day. In the end we rejected all of them as we have no faith in the keyboard and what it represents (top case, keyboard and battery are interconnected.

I don't know anybody that hasn't had problems with them (although no outright failures yet) and didn't want to find myself in that supposed small percentage of users who do have problems requiring a repair. So far, these people are using thin strip's of paper to dislodge particles.

The repair extension program is a step in the right but repairing would mean downtime that I don't fancy.

As I am in no rush to upgrade I decided to wait it until new designs appear.
    I have had one for about six months. In truth, I prefer a heavier key like the older Mac Books, but these keys have worked just fine. and probably allow me to type faster once I became accustomed to them.  

The reality is if Apple truly was having a significant repair problem with the keyboards, they would have redesigned them a long time ago. Apple knows better than anyone when it has a problem with repairs.

If anything Apple extended the warranty to appease people worried about the keyboards due to reporting. 
    Good luck with the keyboard.

As I said. I, personally, don't want to be sitting on a potential time bomb for the reasons I gave.

Normally in these cases, problems are delimited by a range of serial numbers or production dates. That really isn't the case here. The 'problem' appears to be in the design itself and there have been three generations so far so clearly it's not happy camping for everyone and Apple is tweaking the design within the current MBP design.

If it had been spillproof by design perhaps many of these issues wouldn't have popped up.

I'm sitting this design out by choice. I didn't like it in 2016 and I don't like it now. If there were some kind of attractive offer I might have been tempted but nothing came up on Prime Day so I left things as they were.

My Air and MBP (previous designs) are still doing great so I'm not in urgent need of an upgrade.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Somewhat related but Apple is no longer the cash-richest company on the planet. Oddly that torch has now been passed to Google, which is not necessarily something good with all these eyes on "rich" techs. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Bart YBart Y Posts: 64unconfirmed, member
    bells said:
    avon b7 said:

"Cook didn't even mention the millions of Huawei Androids that were diverted from Western markets to the domestic Chinese market in a desperate rash of discounting promotions this year. That's pretty clearly because Huawei's phones are not being sold to iPhone users, despite the constant insistence that Huawei is somehow pushing Apple out of business in China, when clearly that's not the case. "

Please provide supporting links to back this claim up.

As for the supposed claim by certain watchers that Apple wouldn't be able to shift X series phones, why did Apple pay a 'penalty' clause to Samsung for not reaching the contracted orders for displays?

Clearly someone got their estimates very, very wrong.
    Talk about hypocrisy. Please provide something other than rumor that Apple paid Samsung a penalty clause. Where is a Samsung or Apple statement or Apple financial record that support that rumor? Don't give me an android central link. 

Even if true, the rumor concerns OLED displays not LCD displays. It is quite possible that Apple over estimated the more expensive iPhone XS sales that have OLED displays, but under estimated the less expensive iPhone XS sales which don't use OLED displays. So if accurate, Apple could sell less XSs than thought thereby owing Samsung a penalty, but selling way more XRs then thought resulting in a net gain for Apple. 

https://bgr.com/2019/07/05/iphone-xs-sales-performance-force-apple-to-reimburse-samsung/

Korean IT News source with more detail on Samsung Display division and its issues with Apple's contract orders:
    http://english.etnews.com/20190621200001

Samsung comments here in their quarterly report: https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-announces-second-quarter-2019-results
    "The Display Panel Business reported improvement due to a one-off gain in mobile displays and stronger sales of rigid OLED panels, which offset losses from large displays."

Apple doesn't list anything within a line item or discussion in its current 10Q report for Q3 2019.  However, there are two areas where Apple discusses Contractual Obligations and Manufacturing Purchase Obligations to the tune of $29.8B for goods and services in manufacturing, and Unconditional Purchase Obligations for future goods and services to the tune of $8.1B.  I suspect the Samsung Display payment of a mere $683M is buried within these two areas.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 65 of 66
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

"Cook didn't even mention the millions of Huawei Androids.....

Doesn't surprise me :lol:

On a related note Apple avoids mentioning iWannabes as often as possible, as an authentic brand should.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Another masterpiece to read and enjoy! Thanks DED.