macOS 10.14.6 Supplemental Update fixes glitches with sleeping Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2019
Apple on Thursday issued an unusual "Supplemental Update" for macOS 10.14.6, meant to address problems some Mac owners were having waking their systems from sleep mode.

2018 iMac

If not set to happen automatically, the update can be forced by selecting "Update Now" from the Software Update section of System Preferences in the Apple menu. Apple is recommending that all Mac owners install the patch.

The company didn't provide any other information, and indeed AppleInsider is unfamiliar with the cited bugs.

The original version of macOS 10.14.6 was released July 22. That sought to fix graphics glitches when waking a Mac, and it may be that Apple caught exceptions to its work in later testing. The software also made various other bugfixes and closed security vulnerabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The update failed to install. At first the update size was 900+MB. After it failed and I restarted the iMac and resumed the update, it’s downloadable size went down to 445MB. Still waiting to complete the process. Surprised it failed the first time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    I used the standalone installer (955 MB on my drive); the hyperlink is available here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2015

It installed with no problem. I didn't have a sleep problem with this particular Mac so I don't know how effective the patch is. Anyhow, I'm glad the system rebooted normally.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 3 of 9
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    The build number for the new update is 18G87, original 10.14.6 update was 18G84, in case you aren't sure which one you currently have installed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I have this issue and I brought my MacBook Pro into my local Apple Store for AppleCare Support last Saturday. They didn’t know why it wasn’t waking from sleep other than it was most likely a software issue. If Apple had this update in the works and less than a week from release wouldn’t the geniuses know about the sleep problems prompting it’s release? I’m finding the knowledge of geniuses varies from person to person which is disappointing. 

Then the genius asked me what I think the solution should be? That kind of shocked me, why is Apple asking me how I think the computer should be fixed? I’m not an engineer, just fix it! I got a call today that it’s ready to be picked up. Hopefully they installed this update and didn’t just reload the OS X like they usually do. I can just do that at home.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    looplessloopless Posts: 329member
    This update fixed a problem introduced in 10.14.6 with my iMac 27” refusing to go to sleep unless I manually put it sleep mode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I can Confirm that this Supplemental Update Finally fixes the "Wake from Sleep" Issues I was having since the 10.14.5 Update. Both of My Bluetooth devices, a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard & Apple Magic Trackpad, would not wake my MacBook Pro from Sleep, and was forced to restart every damn day. I thought it was corrupt Bluetooth Preferences or Bluetooth Module which I reset a few times to no avail. So for the past couple months I was stuck in this limbo until August 1st.. which fixed everything. Thanks Finally Apple! No more OS Updates for me I'm turning them all OFF. I'm done. Catalina? Hell To The NO!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I can Confirm that this Supplemental Update Finally fixes the "Wake from Sleep" Issues I was having since the 10.14.5 Update. Both of My Bluetooth devices, a Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard & Apple Magic Trackpad, would not wake my MacBook Pro from Sleep, and was forced to restart every damn day. I thought it was corrupt Bluetooth Preferences or Bluetooth Module which I reset a few times to no avail. So for the past couple months I was stuck in this limbo until August 1st.. which fixed everything. Thanks Finally Apple! No more OS Updates for me I'm turning them all OFF. I'm done. Catalina? Hell To The NO!
    Didn’t fix my issues. I still can’t wake my MacBook Pro if I leave my desk for 30 minutes or more. So I have to hold down the power button to restart it every time. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Why isn't something like this called 10.14.7? Seems like it would be confusing when trying to figure out what version a machine is on.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    arekarek Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    For me this update broke disabling waking by bluetooth device.

I have option "Allow bluetooth devices to wake this computer" unchecked, yet my logitech trackball wakes my macbook pro (easily reproducible by clicking apple icon->sleep and then moving/clicking on trackball).

That's a problem because I don't turn off logitech trackball before putting it and my macbook into backpack. You can guess how hot mac becomes after working few hours in backpack due to that bug.