Apple sued over spellcheck functions on Mac, iPhone & iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member

emig647 said:
    Ahhh the Performa 6400! That was my second computer. It was a pretty good Mac for that time. If only that darn SRS knob didn't break off.
    The PowerMac 6500 was my second. Still have it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    doctwelve said:
    Yesterday I texted someone: "He is completely out of his ming."
    It should have read: "He is completely out of his mind."
    iPhone corrected: "He is completely out of his Ming."

If they're suing because iPhone's predictions are crap, I support them. 

Were you texting Flash Gordan?
    SpamSandwichllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    doctwelve said:

It would have been funnier if Google had suggested adding an "e" to the end of that one! :open_mouth: 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    doctwelve said:

It would have been funnier if Google had suggested adding an "e" to the end of that one! :open_mouth: 
    You mean Apple not Google.  Google is excellent correcting spelling.

Sometimes I’ve mangled words so badly, I couldn’t read it back phonetically.  

Google still suggests the correct word...
    I look around suspiciously....
    How the @#$& did Google know that’s what I meant?
    I suspect a mind reading scanner embedded in the smoke (fire alarm) detector.  The little red light gave it away...
    Tin foil hat applied.  Now Ming can correct my spelling though...right?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    KiwiPhreddKiwiPhredd Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Just looked up RE43,633 - while it is held by Sentius it has nothing to do with spell checking and neither does 7,672,985. I think they are trying to draw a very long bow with this suit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    chasm said:
    I don’t know about the strength of the case, but Apple’s “spellcheck” is crap.
    I’m an excellent speller, but I’m not here to brag: I want to pass on a tip to help you avoid “bad” spellcheckers and save a lot of time.

Make a list of the words you routinely misspell. For me, one of them was “obsolesecence.” Once you see the correct spelling, strike through the word on your list and put in the correct spelling. Practice writing it a few times — for me, the key was remembering that the middle part was SOLE like the bottom of a shoe (or the fish). This will train your brain towards the correct spelling.

Hope that helps!
    Not really.  I don’t have time to write out the 1000+ words I misspell occasionally and study them.  Because I’ll just forget the correct spelling before the next time I use them.

For example, I wrote cocain in another article and Apple made no suggestions.  Google kindly told me to add an “e” on the end.  

How about rather than me doing the work, Apple fix their crappy spellchecker? These are the kind of things personal computers were invented for...  Microsoft hasn’t had a problem fixing my spelling since my first computer decades ago...

My iPhone has the computing power to run hundreds (thousands?) of moon landing simulations at the same time... but it can’t spellcheck?
    Actually this isn’t Apple’s spellchecker at fault here it’s the fault of the system used by AppleInsider and others. It doesn’t trigger the built in spell checker and therefore the spell checker won’t pick up the failing.

It’s rather common in web pages for this to happen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    doctwelve said:

Merciless
    SpamSandwichllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    How is spellcheck still patented? You can't patent finger gestures, but you can patent a necessity such as spellcheck?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    The Greg said:
    chasm said:
    ...Make a list of the words you routinely misspell. For me, one of them was “obsolesecence.” ...
    You mean "obsolescence" I think? ::scratches head::
    ROTFL
    bigtds
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Love Performa 6400. It was my second Mac. This computer is so upgradable and I love to tinker around with its internal hardware.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    MacPro said:
    Thank you Cahms.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    chasm said:
    I’m an excellent speller, but I’m not here to brag: I want to pass on a tip to help you avoid “bad” spellcheckers and save a lot of time.

Make a list of the words you routinely misspell. For me, one of them was “obsolesecence.” Once you see the correct spelling, strike through the word on your list and put in the correct spelling. Practice writing it a few times — for me, the key was remembering that the middle part was SOLE like the bottom of a shoe (or the fish). This will train your brain towards the correct spelling.

Hope that helps!
    Not really.  I don’t have time to write out the 1000+ words I misspell occasionally and study them.  Because I’ll just forget the correct spelling before the next time I use them.

For example, I wrote cocain in another article and Apple made no suggestions.  Google kindly told me to add an “e” on the end.  

How about rather than me doing the work, Apple fix their crappy spellchecker? These are the kind of things personal computers were invented for...  Microsoft hasn’t had a problem fixing my spelling since my first computer decades ago...

My iPhone has the computing power to run hundreds (thousands?) of moon landing simulations at the same time... but it can’t spellcheck?
    Actually this isn’t Apple’s spellchecker at fault here it’s the fault of the system used by AppleInsider and others. It doesn’t trigger the built in spell checker and therefore the spell checker won’t pick up the failing.

I don't know where the blame lies but I know for 100% certain that I get the "red underline" (patent infringement?) if I misspeel (misspell) something like I just did here on Apple Insider. I think your browser may be the culprit as I'm using Chrome and I'll assume you use Safari?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 33 of 39
    kuraikurai Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    Apple IIsi > Quadra 840av > Performa 6400 > Titanium Powerbook G4 > ... upgraded far too often after that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    doctwelve said:

Were you texting Flash Gordan?
    Oh, that's just Merciless.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Safari uses the built-in system spell checker. Misspell a word and/or know it isn’t misspelled then tell the app learn the spelling in the future. I write novels with unique names that get highlighted as misspelled so I bring up the submenu and tell the application to learn the spelling of this character name. With nearly 1 Million words in the English language don’t expect any spelling dictionary to have them all.

Firefox uses its own spelling engine and Chrome uses Google servers for there engine data mining your activity inside Chrome continuously.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Hope that helps!

I don't know where the blame lies but I know for 100% certain that I get the "red underline" (patent infringement?) if I misspeel (misspell) something like I just did here on Apple Insider. I think your browser may be the culprit as I'm using Chrome and I'll assume you use Safari?
    Yes I am using Safari because I would rather have my eyeballs ripped out my nostrils by rabid wolverines than use Chrome.

Incidentally I literally just misspelled nostrils and it autocorrected so I'm not entirely convinced the argument is valid. I'd check the settings you have on your dictionary and maybe add more English dictionaries to the list. I just tried to do cocain as well and I'm getting a red line and it even suggested a word although it was the plural of cocaine which apparently is cocaines.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:

Hope that helps!

Yes I am using Safari because I would rather have my eyeballs ripped out my nostrils by rabid wolverines than use Chrome.

Incidentally I literally just misspelled nostrils and it autocorrected so I'm not entirely convinced the argument is valid. I'd check the settings you have on your dictionary and maybe add more English dictionaries to the list. I just tried to do cocain as well and I'm getting a red line and it even suggested a word although it was the plural of cocaine which apparently is cocaines.
    Pretty sure it was you that said Apple's spell-correct doesn't work with posts in this forum. 
    "Actually this isn’t Apple’s spellchecker at fault here it’s the fault of the system used by AppleInsider and others. It’s rather common in web pages for this to happen."

I pointed it wasn't a forum software fault as far as I can tell but instead might be a browser issue if the problem occurs. 

Now you're saying you were wrong to assume that? No problem then. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    chasm said:

Hope that helps!

The forum text boxes here actively break autocorrect on iOS. Facebook website (again, via Safari on iOS) is actually worse: you get to keep both your original garbage text AND the correction. 
  • Reply 39 of 39
    It should be an interesting case: suing for damages on something which doesn’t work. Not a great advertisement for your next project. Will Apple counter-sue on the basis the software is rubbish?