Verizon intros new batch of 'unlimited' plans, including four with Apple Music [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2019
Verizon on Friday announced five new "unlimited" phone plans, four of which offer extended access to Apple Music. [Updated with elaborated throttling details]

Verizon store

The plans are called "Start Unlimited," "Do More Unlimited," "Play More Unlimited," "Get More Unlimited," and "Just Kids." "Get More" and "Play More" include Apple Music for as long as someone is with Verizon, while "Start" and "Do More" bundle six months.

All of the plans are $5 cheaper than their predecessors, but differ significantly from each other in their data caps and video quality. Just Kids is the most restricted, capped at 5 gigabytes of 4G with 480p video. Start Unlimited has no data cap, but is still locked to 480p video, and has no tethering.

Do More once again has 480p video, but a 50-gigabyte cap including 15 gigabytes of tethered use. Play More cuts that cap in half but with support for 720p video -- the top tier is Get More, which has 720p and 75 gigabytes of data, 30 tethered.

People who exceed their caps are throttled to 600 kilobits per second during periods of congestion. 5G access is normally $10 per month extra, though choosing Do More, Play More, and Get More temporarily waives that fee, and that money gets subscribers truly unlimited data including 4K video streaming.

It should be cautioned that Verizon's 5G is available in very few markets, and no Apple devices support it without a third-party hotspot. The first 5G-capable iPhones are expected to ship in 2020.

The new plans are engineered to be mixed together in family and couple arrangements. While Get More can cost as much as $90 with a single line, for example, that drops to $80 with two lines, and as low as $50 with five lines.

Verizon 2019 unlimited plans

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    "I don't think that word means what you think it means" --Princess Bride, 1987 un·lim·it·ed /ˌənˈlimidəd/ Learn to pronounce adjective not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent. "the range of possible adaptations was unlimited" synonyms: inexhaustible, limitless, illimitable, boundless, unbounded, immense, vast, great, extensive, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, unfailing, everlasting, infinite, endless, never-ending, bottomless, measureless, inestimable, cosmic "the land has unlimited supplies of water"
    Roger_FingasMplsPwilliamhdewme
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I wonder if there is a per device fee. If not, I may consider going to Verizon.....
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    jwestveer said:
    "I don't think that word means what you think it means" --Princess Bride, 1987 un·lim·it·ed /ˌənˈlimidəd/ Learn to pronounce adjective not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent. "the range of possible adaptations was unlimited" synonyms: inexhaustible, limitless, illimitable, boundless, unbounded, immense, vast, great, extensive, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, unfailing, everlasting, infinite, endless, never-ending, bottomless, measureless, inestimable, cosmic "the land has unlimited supplies of water"
    That was my exact thought - 'unlimited' limited to 6 gb. :neutral: 

MustSeeUHDTV said: I wonder if there is a per device fee. If not, I may consider going to Verizon.....
    I switched my daughter to Verizon several months ago for coverage reasons but I would have been over $100 per month more to switch the rest of the family over from T mobile. on top of that, our T-mo plan has per-line data caps, rather than the 'shared family data' that Verizon has, so my teenage son is limited to 2GB and can't burn though the rest of the family's data. When I asked Verizon about limiting the data on one line all I got was 'No' 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 4 of 15
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    MplsP said:
    jwestveer said:

I wonder if there is a per device fee. If not, I may consider going to Verizon.....

I switched my daughter to Verizon several months ago for coverage reasons but I would have been over $100 per month more to switch the rest of the family over from T mobile. on top of that, our T-mo plan has per-line data caps, rather than the 'shared family data' that Verizon has, so my teenage son is limited to 2GB and can't burn though the rest of the family's data. When I asked Verizon about limiting the data on one line all I got was 'No' 
    The current Verizon Beyond Unlimited plan is on a per phone basis. Our entire family has it and each of us get 22 GB each before we _may_ be throttled. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I have two Verizon lines with 4GB data shared for $101(+$15/mo for shared AppleMusic). Verizon's web site tells me switching my account over to 2-lines "Play More Unlimited" is $172/mo. Fail!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    MplsP said:
    jwestveer said:

I'm fairly sure you can control his data allowance from his phone's settings. Would that help in your case?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 510member
    Thought there was a link but not the same plans.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 8 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    jwestveer said:

I'm fairly sure you can control his data allowance from his phone's settings. Would that help in your case?
    Possibly, but there's nothing on the phone itself that I'm aware of, and it would have to be lockable under parental controls.

I specifically asked Verizon about limiting data usage on individual lines and people at two separate stores gave me a flat 'no.' It looks like there may be some plans with per-line data now, but it's really hard to tell from the web site. Either way, right now we have 1 line with 6GB and 4 lines with 2 GB (total of 14GB if you want to look at it that way) for $130 per month, plus taxes. All taxes & fees included it's $155 per month. Verizon can't touch that.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    MplsP said:
    jwestveer said:

Possibly, but there's nothing on the phone itself that I'm aware of, and it would have to be lockable under parental controls.

I specifically asked Verizon about limiting data usage on individual lines and people at two separate stores gave me a flat 'no.' It looks like there may be some plans with per-line data now, but it's really hard to tell from the web site. Either way, right now we have 1 line with 6GB and 4 lines with 2 GB (total of 14GB if you want to look at it that way) for $130 per month, plus taxes. All taxes & fees included it's $155 per month. Verizon can't touch that.
    I think it's in mobile data settings somewhere and I remember that you had to create a four digit password to set the data limit itself.

Better to control it conveniently at carrier level though. Shame it doesn't seem easy to do.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I currently pay $90 for Unlimited on my iPhone + iPad, then - $10 because I use less than 2GB on the iPhone.
    So, my monthly bill is $80 (no additional taxes charged separately on T-mobile)

The only other service I’m eyeballing is $40 Unlimited on Visible. (Runs on Verizon)
    Visible also gives you Unlimited tethering at 5Mbps.

I don’t really care about Apple Music... I get plenty music included in Amazon Unlimited + a decent movie selection for occasional viewing.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 11 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Hope Apple makes deals with more carriers.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    These plans are $10 per month more expensive than my current plan with Verizon which is already more expensive than competing carriers. I guess they need another quarter of negative subscriber growth before they will get a clue.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    shrekshrek Posts: 8member
    I look at the  table and .... wow. These are outrageous prices .

Prices in US are generally much cheaper than in Europe but this is not  the case with  mobile plans.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    How they get away with calling something "unlimited" when it has hard caps and throttling tiers is beyond insane. Do they think consumers have monkey brains? Since our toothless legislators aren't going to do anything to reign in these lies or jeopardize their PAC payoffs all we can do is vote with our wallets. The real problem is that every one of the wireless service providers are doing the same thing and getting away with it. I guess the real issue is that our legislators DO in-fact have monkey brains.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    It's still unlimited, it's just throttled back to slower speeds if you exceed the caps and it's during peak times. That is totally reasonable and still unlimited - you don't lose connection to the internet and you don't pay extra for exceeding the limit. Bandwidth is NOT free. I am tired of people thinking that bandwidth is "free" and it's not. It's being shared across users and it costs money to keep building wider bandwidth.