BMW says annual $80 CarPlay fee needed for ongoing testing & development

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    Horseshit.  BMW is one of the most profitable automakers in the world.  For what customers pay for any BMW compared to vehicles in each respective category, they should not be adding on extra fees like this.  It's gauche and tacky.  It's like what some low-range hotel does where you don't get free breakfast, Wifi is $9.99 per day, and they're stingy with extra toiletries.  

They don't really need this fee, but if you're going to do it, just bake in an extra $300 to the price of the car.  No one cares about $300 when you're spending $50k on a luxury performance car.  At least then you don't look chintzy.
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 61
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    GG1 said:
    rob53 said:
    My Alpine aftermarket head unit includes wireless and they never charge for updates. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever gotten an update and I’ve had it for two years. I’m sure BMW charges more up front for their head unit than Alpine charges for theirs. 

Found this response on Crutchfield's forum asking about firmware updates. This might be accurate but multiple people said the same thing:

"The beauty of CarPlay is that you don't need to update the headhunt. The headhunt displays what the phone wants it to. Thus when you get a new iPhone or iOS update it just works. Any software improvements are done on the phone not the head unit."

If this is accurate, then what is BMW thinking they need to update on their head unit????? I presume Android Play works the same way.
    From what I can find, you are correct. As long as the manufacturer's headunit satisfies CarPlay's (and Android Auto's) hardware requirements, the headunit runs an app that mirrors the phone's screen as well as interfacing with some of the car's UI features (touchscreen, volume control button/knob, microphone, etc.). This is about as generic as it gets (from the headunit side). The only thing I can think of is if CarPlay adds control for more of the car's interfaces, then the headunit app would need updating.
    That's not quite accurate. CarPlay operates as one or more AVC (H.264) video streams and a few iPod Accessory Protocol 2 (IAP2) data streams (including one from the car for control purposes). Initially, it supported one video stream to the head unit display. They added other streams for a display in the instrument cluster. A few other features—like support for non-square displays—have been added as well.

This mostly doesn't matter for aftermarket head units, but it can matter for more integrated systems like MMI, iDrive, COMAND APS, and so on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 61
    jeffkov said:
    I love my BMW - but will not buy another one if they keep this up.  I’m sure I am not alone.  This is just stupid, greedy arrogance.  And the “reason” they are now giving is because of the world wide backlash.  
    It’s the same as BMW charging you $200 to upgrade your GPS maps.  It’s just now it has more visibility because it is CarPlay. If it wasn’t no one would care as usual.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Ciprol said:
    This is hilarious and sad for a car company that once was on the top of my admiration list. At my last car purchase 3 years ago, it was exactly this arrogance and demand for extra money for CarPlay that made me pick up a Merc instead. Merc provided CarPlay/GooglePlay support as a part of its default factory package and without charge. Sorry, BMW can continue to lose sales with it as I approach my next car update cycle.
    My favorite car I've owned of all time is the 750iL. I've always loved BMWs. I've had 6 so far.
    I bought a Porsche Cayenne turbo last time I needed a car. My brother bought the X5 M. Mine is way better.
    I bought a new Mercedes last week for the wife.
    No more money for BMW from me. I'm going to keep my nickles and dimes.
    /well that and their cars stink now
    //really stink, like bad

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 61
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    It's not often around here that we see this much consensus on a topic! 

BMW is totally in the wrong here, although people will still keep buying their hideous crossovers and crossover/coupe monstrosities.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Seems like a BS charge.. like the universal tax you pay for having a phone line in your home.. nobody can explain exactly what the surcharge is for, but it needs to be paid.. hahaha.. wow.

The USF surcharge is mandated by law and goes into funds administered by USAC (federally) and the states (locally). Rural telcos apply to USAC and/or their state public utilities entity for support from those funds. The amounts given are based on a number of factors, such as annual income, subscriber base, the costs involved in supporting the network and its subscribers, how rural/distant the network is (the more average distance you have between subscribers, the more expensive the plant is to maintain) and how much has been invested into the plant to keep it up-to-date.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fund for more information.

zimmiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 61
    mazda 3s said:

BMW is totally in the wrong here, although people will still keep buying their hideous crossovers and crossover/coupe monstrosities.
    But when it comes to Apple doing the same thing (charge for Fast charger or USB to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter), the exact same people will say Apple is RIGHT. Hypocrisy at its best.
    avon b7
  • Reply 28 of 61
    jcs2305 said:
    From what I see it isn't even specifically for updates.. What software testing and engineering is BMW doing in regard to Apple's Car Play?  Seems like a BS charge.. like the universal tax you pay for having a phone line in your home.. nobody can explain exactly what the surcharge is for, but it needs to be paid.. hahaha.. wow. 
    <tangent>

The USF surcharge is mandated by law and goes into funds administered by USAC (federally) and the states (locally). Rural telcos apply to USAC and/or their state public utilities entity for support from those funds. The amounts given are based on a number of factors, such as annual income, subscriber base, the costs involved in supporting the network and its subscribers, how rural/distant the network is (the more average distance you have between subscribers, the more expensive the plant is to maintain) and how much has been invested into the plant to keep it up-to-date.

It is your generous assistance that has helped rural customers in many areas enjoy Ethernet speeds over fiber (as far back as early 2000's) while we twiddle our thumbs and wait for the urban telcos to catch up to the FCC's definition of 'broadband.'

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Service_Fund for more information.

</tangent>

• Reply 29 of 61
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Apple should neuter every automobile manufacturer by charging a license fee equal to what the manufacturer is charging the purchaser.
    Ford Motor Company does not charge me a yearly premium subscription fee for using Apple's Carplay in my Ford Edge Sport with Sync3. I use to purchase BMW'S and I know that I would be pissed as hell and bending someone's ear at the BMW dealership if having to squabble over this asinine cost.
    I can't imagine purchasing a BMW i8 and being told that Carplay is another $80.00 per year... ;) The dealership better figure out away to wave this fee as long as I am the owner.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 61
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    atadams said:
    BMW is stupid. They could have increased the price of the car the same amount and made CarPlay standard and no one would have blinked an eye. Now they have a bunch of negative press.
    What same amount? $80? That's per year. How does BMW know how many years to price in? Charging for CarPlay for this reason is spurious, like Japanese whaling 'research', but unless you know how long you will own the car and how long the car will last, your idea doesn't work (at least for BMW).
    BMW knows how many owners pay for a CarPlay subscription, how long their cars are owned, how long their cars last, and how many cars they sell. It's just as easy for BMW to know how much to add to the price of each vehicle as it was for them to come up with the $80 and $300 amounts. Not every BMW owner uses an iPhone and now ever iPhone user uses CarPlay. Or, just do what Honda and others do - put a disclaimer that in the owner's manual. Here's what my Honda's owner's manual says:

"Changes in operating systems, hardware, software, and other technology integral to providing Apple CarPlay functionality, as well as new or revised governmental regulations, may result in a decrease or cessation of Apple CarPlay functionality and services. Honda cannot and does not provide any warranty or guarantee of future Apple CarPlay performance or functionality."
  • Reply 31 of 61
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    mazda 3s said:

But when it comes to Apple doing the same thing (charge for Fast charger or USB to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter), the exact same people will say Apple is RIGHT. Hypocrisy at its best.
    Not everyone here thinks so. There are a few people who are obvious 'iSheep,' but many/most people are more reasoned
  • Reply 32 of 61
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Horseshit.  BMW is one of the most profitable automakers in the world.  For what customers pay for any BMW compared to vehicles in each respective category, they should not be adding on extra fees like this.  It's gauche and tacky.  It's like what some low-range hotel does where you don't get free breakfast, Wifi is $9.99 per day, and they're stingy with extra toiletries.  

They don't really need this fee, but if you're going to do it, just bake in an extra $300 to the price of the car.  No one cares about $300 when you're spending $50k on a luxury performance car.  At least then you don't look chintzy.

Your description of the fee as “gauche and tacky” is dead on.  Just STOP IT already you morons!  While I love my BMW (after all it is the ultimate driving machine), that company’s leadership are clueless wonders when it comes to software and software UX.

Software and software UX are going to be core parts of the driving experience and these dummies need to get on board with this and seriously staff up with people who have a clue.

I use CarPlay but the manual interface via iDrive control knob is clunky.  It’s like using an original iPod, which was really cool when it first came out, but is long in the tooth now.  The BMW designers appear to be too attached to it for their own good.  In this day and age the iDrive UX sucks compared to other far less expensive vehicles.

Hey BMW, I want more than just an Ultimate Driving Machine.  I want an Ultimate Driving Experience.  Can you deliver?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 61
    xmbxmb Posts: 18member
    If I had caused such brand damage to my company I would be dismissed immediately.  Hopefully someone at BMW will be given their marching orders!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 61
    I didn't know BMW was in dire financial straits it needed to nickel and dime their high end customers.  If Chevrolet doesn't do it I would figure there is no reason for BMW to.  
    Exactly.

It was exactly over their clunky -- and offensive, because of the nickel-and-diming -- implementation of CarPlay that, as a then-BMW owner, I did not a new BMW when I bought a new vehicle two years ago (I switched to an Audi, which does not charge for CarPlay).
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Horseshit.  BMW is one of the most profitable automakers in the world.  
    Not anymore. The company recently announced it weakest financial results in over a decade. And the CEO is "stepping down" (euphemism for fired): https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/05/car-news-bmw-ceo-harald-krueger-stepping-down-after-low-earnings/1654973001/

thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 61
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member
    I think the rationale comes down to the fact that CarPlay is replacing the built-in systems that they *did* charge a subscription for. Most manufacturers sell a subscription like OnStar or BMW ConnectedDrive or Infiniti Connection or one of the others that cost $100-200/yr. With CarPlay or Android Auto, you don't need to pony up excessive fees for live traffic, map updates, advanced search, etc.  Most brands realize it's a new world and walk away from that revenue, but it looks like BMW wants their pound of flesh regardless of the services you use and who provides them.
    entropysStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 61
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Gouging the customer- plain and simple.
    My 2016 VW Golf had CarPlay included free and my new 2019 VW Golf Alltrack does as well.

BMW has become the very image they used to make fun of in ads prior to becoming the darling of the Yuppies in the 1980’s. The cars were smaller, lighter and far more fuel efficient than the land yachts they sell today. They also used to be far more reasonably priced.

These days I would take an Audi over most of what BMW or Mercedes is selling.

BMW- the ultimate hype machine. You can buy better, but you cant pay more.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    mike54 said:
    Agree with others, BMW should of just included it in the price.
    However, companies and individuals have caught on that subscriptions can be easy money. Also I see that subscriptions will become common place for an expanding range of products. Companies know that many are willing to pay for subscriptions, ie ongoing rent.
    I'm willing to bet for those that look at that $80/year, they'll upsell to the $300 for 20 years, and probably use it to close the deal.  Essentially "something for nothing."

Just like that Dealer Prep Fee.  when my wife and I bought our last car, we said, "don't worry about the prep for delivery, I can take a bunch of plastic off the seats for $700"

They did it anyway for free.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Is there development that can impact the performance and reliability of CarPlay?
  • Reply 40 of 61
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    How is this legal? Am I reading this right? BMW wants a piece of the Apple user base pie so they are charging them for Apples service? lol

No wonder Apple wants to make their own Car hardware. What a mess!

mazda 3s said:

Apple isn't charging for Carplay.

Fast chargers kill batteries. If Apple provided a fast charger "BatteryGate" would be front page news and customer satisfaction would drop.

But what do I know? AI readers seem to be better CEOs than Cook. /s
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra