Read the fine print of Apple Card's customer agreement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    To be honest, this seems like a pretty average card. Very average interest rates, certainly nothing great. The 3% back is nice, but how much do any of us actually buy at the Apple Store? I got a new laptop 2 ½ years ago, a few cables since then, but that's not really going to move the needle. There are a bunch of extra restrictions, so it's potentially less convenient (although they probably won't matter for most people.)

It's not a bad card, but I already have plenty of cards and I can't see that the Apple Card offers anything spectacular that would make me want to get another card or replace what I already have.

One other problem I just thought of - the card number is not on the card anywhere, which means when I call to make reservations, purchase something online, etc it's mostly useless. 
    edited August 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 22 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    MplsP said:
    To be honest, this seems like a pretty average card. Very average interest rates, certainly nothing great. The 3% back is nice, but how much do any of us actually buy at the Apple Store? I got a new laptop 2 ½ years ago, a few cables since then, but that's not really going to move the needle. There are a bunch of extra restrictions, so it's potentially less convenient (although they probably won't matter for most people.)

It's not a bad card, but I already have plenty of cards and I can't see that the Apple Card offers anything spectacular that would make me want to get another card or replace what I already have.

One other problem I just thought of - the card number is not on the card anywhere, which means when I call to make reservations, purchase something online, etc it's mostly useless. 
    I’m not sure who this card is for besides die hard Apple fans who have to have everything Apple releases.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 23 of 72
    I trust Apple to do a good job with that, and to protect my data. 
    Have you been paying attention to Apple's latest privacy blunders?  FaceTime bug that allowed eavesdropping, AirDrop that reveals your contact information, and now Apple admitting that third-party contractors have been listening to Siri conversations with location and contact data information provided...to allegedly improve the service.  By the way, Apple is not in charge of this card.  Goldman Sachs is managing this card and your user agreement is with Goldman Sachs, not Apple.  Apple only put their logo on it and offering not-so-stellar incentives.  You will get better deals with other cards.
    avon b7
  • Reply 24 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    MplsP said:

1) The low-end internet rate is much better than average.

2) I have several cards, too, and each has specific benefits. The Apple Card will be no different; it’s not suppose to be the only card Apple or GS expects you to have.

3) The card number is available in the Wallet app. The reason for 2% back on Apple Pay purchases and the lack of number on the card is to help push not carrying a physical card and instead use the one behind good security. It will be a long time before that’s a commonplace. I do it fairly often now—usually with my Watch—but it’s usually in short bursts with planned stops of places I know are “21st century friendly.” I look forward to seeing how this card helps make Apple Pay (and other similar services) more popular as a result.
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 72
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,135member
    A "Required Device" with a digital card is not strictly necessary after signing up, but Goldman warns that it may close accounts without one.”

Does that mean you don’t need an iPhone to get/use the card (as I was indeed assuming in my posts in the previous thread on the AC). 
    Seems like the question is answered in what you quoted. 
  • Reply 26 of 72
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,496member
    As a holder of a few credit cards, Apple Card would fall squarely in the middle of typical offerings on it terms, but it does have a few things going for it: it makes super-clear what you're paying in interest (and how to avoid overpaying interest), no annual fee or any other type of fee (most people have zero idea of how many small or significant fees CC companies presently charge), far far more security and protection against theft or misuse, and the rewards appear instantly rather than after a month or more.

I certainly expect I will get one at some point, if for no other reason than a completely expense-free card that is very easy to pay down/off with much more detailed records of what I spent where than other companies have thus far provided me. All with greater privacy!
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 72
    flydog said:
    A "Required Device" with a digital card is not strictly necessary after signing up, but Goldman warns that it may close accounts without one.”

Does that mean you don’t need an iPhone to get/use the card (as I was indeed assuming in my posts in the previous thread on the AC). 
    Seems like the question is answered in what you quoted. 
    No it is not: “May” is an open invitation to lawsuits. Goldman or otherwise is irrelevant.

Either there is a required device or there is not. Otherwise they’ll get their butts kicked by the feds. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Re: interest rates.  In the UK, the standard rates are around 20%, with some rates around 30% or more, so 13ish% looks like a bargain.  On other points, we don’t use cheques much and monthly payments are by VADD, and we don’t link cards. It will be interesting to see what happens if and when the Card comes to the UK, in relation to its T’s and C’s and in relation to who gets one with credit scoring.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 72
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    The fine print: "Goldman Sachs"
    Carnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 72
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    3% on gas and groceries would be nice. My bank does 5% on groceries and 2% on everything else. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 31 of 72
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

You can make electronic payments using Apple Wallet to initiate electronic fund transfers (e.g., ACH or debit) from your (i) Apple Cash account or (ii) a bank account(s) with a financial institution located in the U.S. (each, a "Payment Source Account").

It seems this is the exclusive way to pay, i.e. you cannot opt to receive a paper statement in the mail, and drop a check back to them; or go to a web site to pay via ACH. It also seems to imply that an ACH fund transfer option is coming to Apple Wallet (in addition to the debit card option already there.) I am guessing that Apple Wallet will allow scanning of a blank check. 

[edit] it might actually be easier than that. I have bank amount information in Apple Wallet now so as to be able to transfer FROM Apple Pay Cash to the bank; perhaps they will simply alter this at rollout to allow transfer TO Apple Pay cash via that same ACH information.
    I don’t know if I’m following 100%, but I’d say ACH is already an option with Apple Cash (formally Apple Pay Cash). They asp have an instant wire option for a smal fee.

I typically use thé ACH when I transfer to my bank since it usually happens same day.
    It is not currently an option. You can't ACH funds from a bank account TO Apple Pay Cash. 
    I can. I choose the Apple Cash card and then tap “Add Money”. That money comes out of my checking account. If not that way how does one initially put money into the Apple Cash account (other than and Apple Cash payment from someone else, but how did they get money into Apple Cash?)?
    That is likely via a debit card, not ACH transfer. I put money in from a MC gift card.

Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

You can make electronic payments using Apple Wallet to initiate electronic fund transfers (e.g., ACH or debit) from your (i) Apple Cash account or (ii) a bank account(s) with a financial institution located in the U.S. (each, a "Payment Source Account").

It seems this is the exclusive way to pay, i.e. you cannot opt to receive a paper statement in the mail, and drop a check back to them; or go to a web site to pay via ACH. It also seems to imply that an ACH fund transfer option is coming to Apple Wallet (in addition to the debit card option already there.) I am guessing that Apple Wallet will allow scanning of a blank check. 

[edit] it might actually be easier than that. I have bank amount information in Apple Wallet now so as to be able to transfer FROM Apple Pay Cash to the bank; perhaps they will simply alter this at rollout to allow transfer TO Apple Pay cash via that same ACH information.
    I don’t know if I’m following 100%, but I’d say ACH is already an option with Apple Cash (formally Apple Pay Cash). They asp have an instant wire option for a smal fee.

I typically use thé ACH when I transfer to my bank since it usually happens same day.
    It is not currently an option. You can't ACH funds from a bank account TO Apple Pay Cash. 
    That’s instant for me trom my checking account via a debit card. Your bank doesn‘t offer a debit card?
    I don't want a debit card. I never use them, and it is another source of liability.
    I'd rather use a debit card for, well debits, than using my bank account and routing numbers. If my debit (or credit card) becomes compromised I can cancel that card and replace it with a quick call not to mention getting any charges credited back, but canceling my bank account so I can reopen another one requires me going into my bank, sitting down with someone. It's just a hassle. I really dislike the few accounts that require me to put in that info for the convenience of using it online just to save them a couple percentage points. I wish debit cards could be used for credits beyond charge backs.
    Yeh, if your cards are used fraudently you are pretty well protected.   If your routing & account numbers are used fraudently you are mostly on your own -- there's no $50 limit -- and meanwhile your account can be drained which then may trigger a rash of fees for minimum deposits, NSFs, etc....

I avoid ACH as much as possible because its a window into your account and, having run some ACH direct deposit thingees, I realize how easy it is for somebody to get a hold of and use.
    Soli
  • Reply 32 of 72
    Have you been paying attention to Apple's latest privacy blunders?  FaceTime bug that allowed eavesdropping, AirDrop that reveals your contact information, and now Apple admitting that third-party contractors have been listening to Siri conversations with location and contact data information provided...to allegedly improve the service.  By the way, Apple is not in charge of this card.  Goldman Sachs is managing this card and your user agreement is with Goldman Sachs, not Apple.  Apple only put their logo on it and offering not-so-stellar incentives.  You will get better deals with other cards.
    Only your last point carries any weight here. Software development is hard. Get over it. When you trot out two dead bugs and one “allegedly” you’ve lost perspective.

But your point about GS having my data is valid, obviously. I’m probably in a minority, but I don’t give a shit about incentives or rewards, and I have no interest in juggling 19 different banks and credit unions trying to win a rigged game. I’d rather keep a low profile, reduce our exposure to data breaches, and manage our income as intelligently and responsibly as I can. If the institutions I choose to work with continue to help me to do that, then I’ll stay with them. 

On Apple’s place in this equation, this is the first of these Apple Card threads I’ve read, but I’m surprised to see no mention of iCloud, Apple Music, Books, News, and tv subscriptions. Not to mention the App Store. All of this stuff will go through this card. Isn’t that the main reason Apple created it? 
    edited August 2019 larryjwronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 72
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    MplsP said:
    To be honest, this seems like a pretty average card. Very average interest rates, certainly nothing great.
    Bullshit 'honesty'. People like to cherry pick the lesser aspects of the Apple Card for comparison and totally ignore the unique features of the Apple Card, and then declare it average or below average on all fronts, ie nothing great. These people would make average used car salesmen.

MplsP said:
    You're not thinking clearly. It's been mentioned many, many times why the card has no numbers on it anywhere. It's also been mentioned many, many times in practically the same breath and sentences that a user can get the card number, CCV, and even a virtual number from the Wallet for those online situations where Apple Pay is accepted.

I’m not sure who this card is for besides die hard Apple fans who have to have everything Apple releases.
    More FUD bullshit. People should pop their head out of their assholes long enough to actually understand not only what the card can't do, but what it can do. Otherwise they're spewing 10lbs of bullshit into a 5lb sack.

The card had benefits or a combination of benefits that no other card or combination of cards has. If that isn't for you, fine. If your card suit your better, fine. If the Apple Card isn't for you, fine. But there's no need to be stupid about it. Especially publicly stupid.

There is no one card that's the best in every possible aspect of a credit card. That's obvious as so many people have more than a couple cards. Nobody is saying the AC is the best card. Objectivity is the first casualty of idiots on parade.

Lose your credit card? Discover it compromised? Call the bank, put a stop on it, wait for new card by mail, or maybe if you're lucky, but expedited courier. Not every card offers that service. With the Apple Card, cancel it from the Wallet app, get assigned a new number, and your physical card will be sent, but there's now no hurry. Your Wallet is up and running as is Apple Pay. Maybe you've never lost a card or had one 'hacked', so this is of no use to you. Fair point.

Can't find your card? You might have lost it but maybe you misplaced it? Call and cancel, or take a chance and wait to see if it turns up? Just turn it off in Wallet. Now you can look around while not in a panic. Maybe that hasn't happened to you either. Fair point. But I'm sure it has to a lot of others who aren't diehard Apple fans who have to have everything Apple releases. Jesus Fucking H. Christ.

tenthousandthingsheadfull0wineRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 72
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macgui said:
    MplsP said:
    To be honest, this seems like a pretty average card. Very average interest rates, certainly nothing great.
    Bullshit 'honesty'. People like to cherry pick the lesser aspects of the Apple Card for comparison and totally ignore the unique features of the Apple Card, and then declare it average or below average on all fronts, ie nothing great. These people would make average used car salesmen.

MplsP said:
    You're not thinking clearly. It's been mentioned many, many times why the card has no numbers on it anywhere. It's also been mentioned many, many times in practically the same breath and sentences that a user can get the card number, CCV, and even a virtual number from the Wallet for those online situations where Apple Pay is accepted.

More FUD bullshit. People should pop their head out of their assholes long enough to actually understand not only what the card can't do, but what it can do. Otherwise they're spewing 10lbs of bullshit into a 5lb sack.

The card had benefits or a combination of benefits that no other card or combination of cards has. If that isn't for you, fine. If your card suit your better, fine. If the Apple Card isn't for you, fine. But there's no need to be stupid about it. Especially publicly stupid.

There is no one card that's the best in every possible aspect of a credit card. That's obvious as so many people have more than a couple cards. Nobody is saying the AC is the best card. Objectivity is the first casualty of idiots on parade.

Lose your credit card? Discover it compromised? Call the bank, put a stop on it, wait for new card by mail, or maybe if you're lucky, but expedited courier. Not every card offers that service. With the Apple Card, cancel it from the Wallet app, get assigned a new number, and your physical card will be sent, but there's now no hurry. Your Wallet is up and running as is Apple Pay. Maybe you've never lost a card or had one 'hacked', so this is of no use to you. Fair point.

Can't find your card? You might have lost it but maybe you misplaced it? Call and cancel, or take a chance and wait to see if it turns up? Just turn it off in Wallet. Now you can look around while not in a panic. Maybe that hasn't happened to you either. Fair point. But I'm sure it has to a lot of others who aren't diehard Apple fans who have to have everything Apple releases. Jesus Fucking H. Christ.
    The fact that you have to swear like that to get your point across...

Again, let’s see how well it does. My guess is it will have some success but I don’t see many people dropping their current card for it. Or adding it as another card. I am curious to see how Apple markets it and how much marketing they do for it. I guarantee you most of my family and friends don’t even know it’s coming. 
    anantksundaramronnchemengin1
  • Reply 35 of 72
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

I can. I choose the Apple Cash card and then tap “Add Money”. That money comes out of my checking account. If not that way how does one initially put money into the Apple Cash account (other than and Apple Cash payment from someone else, but how did they get money into Apple Cash?)?
    That is likely via a debit card, not ACH transfer. I put money in from a MC gift card.

Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

That’s instant for me trom my checking account via a debit card. Your bank doesn‘t offer a debit card?
    I don't want a debit card. I never use them, and it is another source of liability.
    I'd rather use a debit card for, well debits, than using my bank account and routing numbers. If my debit (or credit card) becomes compromised I can cancel that card and replace it with a quick call not to mention getting any charges credited back, but canceling my bank account so I can reopen another one requires me going into my bank, sitting down with someone. It's just a hassle. I really dislike the few accounts that require me to put in that info for the convenience of using it online just to save them a couple percentage points. I wish debit cards could be used for credits beyond charge backs.
    Yeh, if your cards are used fraudently you are pretty well protected.   If your routing & account numbers are used fraudently you are mostly on your own -- there's no $50 limit -- and meanwhile your account can be drained which then may trigger a rash of fees for minimum deposits, NSFs, etc....

I avoid ACH as much as possible because its a window into your account and, having run some ACH direct deposit thingees, I realize how easy it is for somebody to get a hold of and use.
    Yep. I use ACH threw an auxiliary account that usually only has enough funds for the direct withdrawal I'm doing.

I've even started using Apple Cash has a good depot for extra funds before pushing it a checking count for bill pay. I'm not earning any interest in Apple Cash, but it's not like I earn much of anything from my bank anyway.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    macgui said:
    MplsP said:

MplsP said:

Have you tried reading out-loud the post you just made? There's enough anger in there to strain even a normal heart.  No one was personally attacking you. Geesh, flip the insult switch...
    edited August 2019 anantksundaramronnchemengin1lostkiwi
  • Reply 37 of 72
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    Only your last point carries any weight here. Software development is hard. Get over it. When you trot out two dead bugs and one “allegedly” you’ve lost perspective.

But your point about GS having my data is valid, obviously. I’m probably in a minority, but I don’t give a shit about incentives or rewards, and I have no interest in juggling 19 different banks and credit unions trying to win a rigged game. I’d rather keep a low profile, reduce our exposure to data breaches, and manage our income as intelligently and responsibly as I can. If the institutions I choose to work with continue to help me to do that, then I’ll stay with them. 

On Apple’s place in this equation, this is the first of these Apple Card threads I’ve read, but I’m surprised to see no mention of iCloud, Apple Music, Books, News, and tv subscriptions. Not to mention the App Store. All of this stuff will go through this card. Isn’t that the main reason Apple created it? 
    You last point is well-taken. Many Apple users likely get charged monthly for iTunes, cloud storage, developer charges, etc. Switching to the Apple Card account for these monthly and yearly charges automatically gives a 3% cash back. 

An interesting question is how this cash back process will affect app purchases. Apps will now cost 3% less, effectively, if purchased via the Apple Card account. 

A couple of other points -- for me, points of confusion -- driving me to review my other credit card agreements. 

Calculation of interest: The calculation of interest is compounded daily. If you have not paid off the loan at the end of the month, interest is charged daily on the unpaid balance, and this unpaid balance includes the accrued interest added to the unpaid amount daily. 

APR: The range for APR is given as 13.24% to 24.24%. The example of how APR is calculated interesting. They're example shows a margin percent of 13.25% to which they add a current prime rate of 5.5% giving 18.75% APR. The APR, DPR and Margin rate will be displayed within the wallet. 
  • Reply 38 of 72
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    The fact my wife and I can’t use the same card account lowers its appeal to us. We will still get it because Apple but it sucks we will have two separate bills and our spending won’t be merged in the analytics.

The latter is the bigger problem, in my view. We had talked about only having this one card. We could do it — we only have two now. But the main reason to do it would be to consolidate all of the good Apple analytics in one place. I trust Apple to do a good job with that, and to protect my data. Without that simplicity factor, though, we will opt to keep one of our existing cards (think air travel), at least until Apple gives us a way to link the two accounts.
    Interesting point. To determine credit worthiness, each person will need to submit financial information. However that is likely going to be family based, not by individual? Doesn't it seem likely that the process of issuing Apple Cards will need to include multiple people (cards) on the same account. 
    GeorgeBMacanantksundaram
  • Reply 39 of 72
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    Soli said:
    eightzero said:
    This is interesting:

HOW TO PAY

Yep. I use ACH threw an auxiliary account that usually only has enough funds for the direct withdrawal I'm doing.

I've even started using Apple Cash has a good depot for extra funds before pushing it a checking count for bill pay. I'm not earning any interest in Apple Cash, but it's not like I earn much of anything from my bank anyway.
    That's smart!
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 40 of 72
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:

1) The low-end internet rate is much better than average.
    It's a certainly a decent low end rate, and you could do far worse, but for someone with good credit it's not great or unheard of. I routinely get offers for cards with permanent rates below 13, even 12%. Again, it's certainly not a bad rate, just not a fabulous rate. As a practical matter, I'm guessing the people that qualify for the lowest rate most often do not carry balances, so it's a bit of a moot point.
    2) I have several cards, too, and each has specific benefits. The Apple Card will be no different; it’s not suppose to be the only card Apple or GS expects you to have.
    Same with me; my point was that there's nothing particular about this card that gives it an advantage over the cards I already have and thus no reason to either add it to my wallet or replace an existing card.   I will say that the interest display is nice. I pay my balances every month, so I never worry about that, but far too many companies hide that info and/or deceive consumers into paying more interest. Kudos to Apple for making it clear.
    3) The card number is available in the Wallet app. The reason for 2% back on Apple Pay purchases and the lack of number on the card is to help push not carrying a physical card and instead use the one behind good security. It will be a long time before that’s a commonplace. I do it fairly often now—usually with my Watch—but it’s usually in short bursts with planned stops of places I know are “21st century friendly.” I look forward to seeing how this card helps make Apple Pay (and other similar services) more popular as a result.
    Good to know - I (obviously) didn't know that and that eliminates that concern. I actually like the idea of not having the number on the card, and I try to use ApplePay whenever I can but there are still a large number of stores that don't offer it. I've still seen stores that require you to swipe. (many restaurants do, actually.)
    macgui said:

I'm thinking perfectly clearly. I've read 2 articles and they didn't mention it. I also skimmed through the Apple web site which clearly states that there is no number but makes no mention that the number is available on your phone. Perhaps you should consider that not every article has mentioned it or not everyone has read the same articles.

As far as "what it can do," I really haven't seen anything that sets it apart. Again, not a bad card, but nothing spectacular, either, other than the fact that it looks cool. When my discover card got hacked a few years ago, I got a new one in 3 days and Apple pay worked in the mean time. For the other stuff, I switched to a different card. Every card I have lets you either temporarily disable or permanently deactivate the card right from my phone if I think/know it's lost. What Apple is offering is not groundbreaking, it's industry standard. You call "FUD bullshit," but seem to lack the objectivity you so dearly espouse.  

edited August 2019 designrchemengin1