Apple Music rebrands curated alternative playlist to ALT CTRL

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
As part of continuing Apple Music rebranding efforts, Apple has rechristened it's alternative music playlist -- formerly known as the A-List -- to ALT CTRL.

Apple has rebranded it's alternative playlist -- formerly known as the A-List, to ALT CTRL.

The playlist, which features 50 songs, will change every week. Each song is hand selected by a group of curators. The songs featured have less to do with genre, and more to do with overall feel and themes.

"ALT CTRL, formerly known as The A-List: Alternative, is where you'll find the best of those new left-of-center tunes." reads the Editors' notes on the new ALT CTRL page, "Alternative is more an attitude than a sound-- music that colors just a bit outside the lines."

ALT CTRL in Apple Music

Each week the playlist art will feature a new artist. The first showcased art belongs to Los Angeles pop trio Haim, with a special nod to their subdued, minimalist jam "Summer Girl" in the editors' notes.

Artists currently featured on ALT CTRL include chart-toppers like Billie Eilish, Twenty One Pilots, The Black Keys, Lana Del Rey, and Death Cab for Cutie, as well as cult favorites like Hobo Johnson and Clairo.

Apple Music has also recently rebranded their former A-List: Hip-Hop playlist to "Rap Life" last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    LOL change the name hope no one notices its still weak 
  • Reply 2 of 13
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Music needs so much more feature additions and refinement than this silly nonsense.

Music suggested only 1 new release for me this week and I have around 1,000 individual album titles. AllMusic is showing approximately 30 new titles released.

AllMusic also shows future upcoming New Releases with the actual release date. This would be a nice addition to sorry 'Ole Music.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not a great name, since the thing most readily associated with Alt and Ctrl is Delete.
    cornchipelijahgfirelock
  • Reply 4 of 13
    In more important (to me!) streaming news, Tool music is live and available! There goes my weekend... ok going back in my hole now...
    AppleExposedcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 5 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    ALT CNTRL would have been better. Otherwise, as Crowley says, ALT CTRL DEL.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ALT CTRL?
    That's a very Windoze kind of a name. :-\
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    If your comment has been deleted twice now, take a minute to reread the commenting guidelines.

You may not care, and that’s fine - but AI is for everyone.
    edited August 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ALT CTRL?
    That's a very Windoze kind of a name. :-\
    My thoughts exactly. 

Someone’s messed up. 

• Reply 9 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    If your comment has been deleted twice now, take a minute to reread the commenting guidelines.

Never said it wasn't. I just wondered what the point of the article was, since it's not exactly a revelation nor the first time the name of a playlist has been changed. The UK's weekend dance playlist was changed to "All Day Dance Party" but there was no article for that. Was the article attempting to insinuate what a terrible name ALT CTRL is? No idea.

I don't think I've violated any rules, deleting a comment questioning the relevance of an article seems a bit over-protectionist, don't you think? It would be different if I were baselessly slandering AI; my comment isn't going to cause harm to your business. There are plenty of comments where people directly refute parts or even whole articles and denigrate the writers themselves and those comments stay untouched.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Spotify still rules the curation roost with Discover Weekly and Release Radar.
    IreneW
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    elijahg said:

Never said it wasn't. I just wondered what the point of the article was, since it's not exactly a revelation nor the first time the name of a playlist has been changed. The UK's weekend dance playlist was changed to "All Day Dance Party" but there was no article for that. Was the article attempting to insinuate what a terrible name ALT CTRL is? No idea.

I don't think I've violated any rules, deleting a comment questioning the relevance of an article seems a bit over-protectionist, don't you think? It would be different if I were baselessly slandering AI; my comment isn't going to cause harm to your business. There are plenty of comments where people directly refute parts or even whole articles and denigrate the writers themselves and those comments stay untouched.
    You have, ironically, since you say right in your comment "questioning the relevance of an article." There are reasons, business and otherwise, for the rules.

In regards to "There are plenty of comments..." and etc, we delete what we see that violate the rules. The forums lose us money, and some of us feel that they're important, so for now, they stay open --- but we do miss some. We'd rather spend time generating content than patrolling the forums. 

Back to the original point, disagreement about the topic of an article is fine. For instance, talking about how this has no bearing to you and why is fine -- as evidenced in this very thread. Saying that this doesn't deserve or need an article is not.

This conversation has concluded.

edited August 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 13
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    How about ctrl-alt-del  :D
  • Reply 13 of 13

The biggest news for me here was that "alternative" is still a genre!