Review: Yamaha's AirPlay-ready MusicCast BAR 400 offers above-average wireless sound

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2021
Yamaha's MusicCast BAR 400 is a quality AirPlay 2-compatible TV sub and soundbar combo that's worth the price -- just don't expect to make much use of the company's iOS app.

Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400

First, a little inside baseball. Despite the clear emphasis on home theater setups, we were initially going to test the BAR 400 as a possible option for Mac desktops. It has HDMI in/out, auxiliary, and optical ports, and who wouldn't want that level of power for their computer?

On receiving it though I quickly realized that at 38.6 inches, the soundbar was just far too long for my desk, or really for most people's desks unless perhaps they've got the sort of huge, minimalist space you only see in movies and advertising (or maybe MKBHD videos). So we turned things around to test the BAR 400 for its intended purpose.

At a raw level, the product equips your TV with 200 watts of output, 100 per component. It supports Dolby's Digital and Pro Logic II standards, as well as DTS' Digital Surround and Virtual:X, so while Yamaha ideally wants you to pair with wireless MusicCast 20 or 50 speakers for true 5.1 surround, you can get an immersive soundscape without forking out extra cash.

For those concerned: the HDMI interface supports ARC, 4K60 passthrough, and high dynamic range in the form of HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Setup is manageable, but was easily my least favorite part of the experience. For one, I'm not a fan of Yamaha's port placement -- except for power, connections are located not just in a recess on the back, but on the side of that recess. That can make it tricky to connect cables, especially if they're not very flexible or, say, the bar has to go behind the TV to avoid the reach of a curious toddler.

Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400

The digital half of setup also feels unnecessarily complex. The bar supports Bluetooth, but in order to connect it to Wi-Fi and hence AirPlay, you'll need Yamaha's iPhone/iPad app. The app's interface is a little outdated and confusing, and for setup you'll need to temporarily switch Wi-Fi networks in iOS -- be sure to remember your router login. Other speaker makers such as JBL and Sonos have better streamlining.

The good news is that once installation is complete, there's really no need to load Yamaha's app again. For music, you can just select the soundbar as a destination in AirPlay or Bluetooth. It's also compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Spotify Connect, so perhaps it's no wonder why the app is neglected.

AirPlay works about as you'd expect. It can take a few seconds to push music from iOS, but that's pretty common. Support extends into Siri and the Home app, and like any AirPlay 2 speaker you can group with other units.

Yamaha includes a bundled IR remote, which I found myself using surprisingly often. For one thing there are separate bar and sub volumes, and Yamaha has several on-the-fly effects: Stereo, Surround, 3D Surround, Clear Voice, and Bass Extension. In my subjective experience, Surround and Bass Extension were the only ones I kept on permanently -- Clear Voice seemed to make vocals too sharp, while 3D Surround (which uses DTS Virtual:X) is nominally supposed to allow both vertical and horizontal panning, but just didn't sound pleasing to me. It may make sense for some movies but not much more.

When you've got the right settings in place the 400 does have very satisfying sound. It's not the best I've sub/bar combo I've ever heard, since it lacks the clarity you'd hear from something like a Sonos Playbase/Sub pair, but it's more than adequate and puts out plenty of punch from the highs to the lows. It's the fact that you can get the whole package for under $500, I think, that makes it impressive.

Conclusions

The BAR 400 probably wouldn't be my first choice if I were hunting for TV audio, but I was happy with it. That Sonos pairing I suggested could easily cost $1,400, so getting above-average wireless sound for almost $1,000 less is a feat. My only real issues were with setup and port placement, but if you can overlook those, there's little reason not to pull the trigger.

Score: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

The Yamaha MusicCast Bar 400 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer retails for $499 and is available from Amazon and B&H Photo. B&H also offers shoppers in eligible states an instant sales tax refund with its Payboo Card.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    It would be nice to see a section of this guide outlining using an Apple TV in the mix. For instance is it Apple TV to sound bar to tv or Apple TV to tv to sound bar and any pros and cons. 
    rezwitsMplsPirelandStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 7
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Like ^^

I would really like to hear a review of the 400 + 2 Home Pods (in the back) :smiley: 

And sure from an TV 4K!

Thanks for the info tho...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I bought a Yamaha YAS-108 for our cabin several months ago and for the price I'm thrilled. It doesn't have airplay, but bluetooth works great. Setup was not complicated either. The port placement isn't the most convenient, but it's done that way so you can mount it in a variety of ways, and you never have to worry about it after you're finished setting up.

I have it setup with an Apple TV passing through the HDMI port. The only problem I've had is iTunes won't let me use airplay to play movies but that's actually an issue with the Apple TV, since it gives me the error even if I connect the Apple TV directly to the TV.

Edit: unrelated to the function but I notice it has a USB A connector....
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMacpscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I love Yamaha -- they're the equivalent of Apple in all that they do -- which is a lot!
    Not only are they leaders in accoustic musical instruments but in professional and consumer sound systems as well. 
    But they don't stop there:   Years back they produced the engine for the SHO (Super High Output) Ford Taurus.   And, at one point their 350cc motorcycle got itself disqualified from Daytona Raceway because it beat the 500cc and 750cc bikes it was racing against (Somebody managed to sneak it into the race!)

Like Apple, they don't toot their own horn or market gimmicks and fadish gadgets -- they just make good stuff that help people do what they want to do.

My only question here would be how it compares to one of Yamaha's A/V receivers and speaker systems.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    I love Yamaha -- they're the equivalent of Apple in all that they do -- which is a lot!
    Not only are they leaders in accoustic musical instruments but in professional and consumer sound systems as well. 
    But they don't stop there:   Years back they produced the engine for the SHO (Super High Output) Ford Taurus.   And, at one point their 350cc motorcycle got itself disqualified from Daytona Raceway because it beat the 500cc and 750cc bikes it was racing against (Somebody managed to sneak it into the race!)

Like Apple, they don't toot their own horn or market gimmicks and fadish gadgets -- they just make good stuff that help people do what they want to do.

My only question here would be how it compares to one of Yamaha's A/V receivers and speaker systems.
    Hard to say, but they're really in different leagues and meant for different uses. I have a Yamaha surround receiver with 5 speakers + a subwoofer at home, The sound bar is definitely not as good, but it was a whole lot cheaper, a whole lot easier to set up and takes up a lot less room. Like many things, personal preference plays a big roll, too. I would venture that for the majority of people a good sound bar would be more than adequate. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 7
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:

Hard to say, but they're really in different leagues and meant for different uses. I have a Yamaha surround receiver with 5 speakers + a subwoofer at home, The sound bar is definitely not as good, but it was a whole lot cheaper, a whole lot easier to set up and takes up a lot less room. Like many things, personal preference plays a big roll, too. I would venture that for the majority of people a good sound bar would be more than adequate. 
    That makes sense.   Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yamaha's greatest contribution to mankind's aural satisfaction: the glorious 1LR-GUE
    This is fact. No one denies this.