Apple's iPhone sales down 13% in Q3, accounts for less than half of total revenues

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    If you noticed what was said, and there are charts to back this up, the only real problem in a major market region was China. Sales in Europe were pretty much flat, but everywhere else, other than China, they were up. I do agree, as one whose family buys a new top iPhone model every two years, that prices have risen a bit too much. Believe it or not, it’s that top 10% in in price that can hurt the most. But sales in China were most heavily impacted by the action against, first, Huawei’s CTO, unheard of previously, the shutdown of Huawei’s access to American goods, which since has been relaxed, and Trump’s trade war. The Chinese government, through government owned/controlled media outlets has harangued the increasingly nationalistic Chinese public, to not buy foreign, particularly American, goods in favor of Chinese ones. Large organizations were even fining people for buying Apple phones instead of Huawei models. I don’t know if they’re still doing that.
    And the economic ruin that awaits China would end tomorrow if they’d simply stop acting like and expecting the benefits of being a growing third world country. They need to crack down on IP infringements and theft, smash the counterfeiting rings which operate in full view of the public and authorities (presumably with their blessings) and abide by WTO rules.
    Those are reasonable aspirations but taking a sledgehammer to the situation has done far more harm than good to U.S interests. 

Tim Cook mentioned the global supply chain but the global supply chain now sees the U.S as an unreliable partner and is acting accordingly.

Using Huawei as a pawn has also sent iPhone sales to the dumps while simultaneously helping to accelerate the process of companies weaning themselves off of U.S technology suppliers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/yuwahedrickwong/2019/07/31/trump-may-win-his-battle-with-huawei-but-stands-to-lose-the-tech-war-with-china/#412daf7a33f0
    Huawei is not sending apple to the dumps. If they were then the iOS install base would be declining. Instead it is growing, in every market including China. Your narrative is completely false.
    I didn't actually say Huawei is sending Apple to the dumps.

I said using Huawei as a pawn has sent Apple to the dumps.

That is not even slightly false. The U.S attack on Huawei has had a direct negative impact on Apple's sales in China. It hasn't been the only factor because there are many but it's had an impact and it has been widely commented on.

Can't go on a single fu**ing comment thread without hearing about Huawei from you.

Why do you praise a company that's built on being a knockoff Apple so much???

BTW You guys gotta see Huawei knockoff Apple Stores lol. The manager's like "how else is a tech store supposed to look?" SMH.
    Here is a paragraph from the article:

As with the past three quarters, iPhone revenue suffered a year-over-year decline. Apple did see a  in sales in China year over year -- dropping $300 million compared to this quarter last year, but it was offset by growth in nearly every other geographical region.

That YoY decline is not scotch mist. Nor was it in the previous quarter or the one before that.

Huawei, whether you can see it or not, is one of the factors involved. In fact it is a major factor and there have been reports on this literally all year. How could you miss them?

This is from what I understand is Mr Trump's favourite news channel and is fresher than ever (released yesterday!):

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/huawei-crushing-apple-china-trump-blacklisting-patriotic-choice

Again, Apple’s iOS install base grew in China. Maybe the Chinese arent as patriotic as you would believe.
    Yes they are, and sales were down significantly from last year. Almost all of the iphones sales drop was from China.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 46
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    If you noticed what was said, and there are charts to back this up, the only real problem in a major market region was China. Sales in Europe were pretty much flat, but everywhere else, other than China, they were up. I do agree, as one whose family buys a new top iPhone model every two years, that prices have risen a bit too much. Believe it or not, it’s that top 10% in in price that can hurt the most. But sales in China were most heavily impacted by the action against, first, Huawei’s CTO, unheard of previously, the shutdown of Huawei’s access to American goods, which since has been relaxed, and Trump’s trade war. The Chinese government, through government owned/controlled media outlets has harangued the increasingly nationalistic Chinese public, to not buy foreign, particularly American, goods in favor of Chinese ones. Large organizations were even fining people for buying Apple phones instead of Huawei models. I don’t know if they’re still doing that.
    And the economic ruin that awaits China would end tomorrow if they’d simply stop acting like and expecting the benefits of being a growing third world country. They need to crack down on IP infringements and theft, smash the counterfeiting rings which operate in full view of the public and authorities (presumably with their blessings) and abide by WTO rules.
    Those are reasonable aspirations but taking a sledgehammer to the situation has done far more harm than good to U.S interests. 

Tim Cook mentioned the global supply chain but the global supply chain now sees the U.S as an unreliable partner and is acting accordingly.

Using Huawei as a pawn has also sent iPhone sales to the dumps while simultaneously helping to accelerate the process of companies weaning themselves off of U.S technology suppliers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/yuwahedrickwong/2019/07/31/trump-may-win-his-battle-with-huawei-but-stands-to-lose-the-tech-war-with-china/#412daf7a33f0
    Huawei is not sending apple to the dumps. If they were then the iOS install base would be declining. Instead it is growing, in every market including China. Your narrative is completely false.

That is not even slightly false. The U.S attack on Huawei has had a direct negative impact on Apple's sales in China. It hasn't been the only factor because there are many but it's had an impact and it has been widely commented on.

Can't go on a single fu**ing comment thread without hearing about Huawei from you.

BTW You guys gotta see Huawei knockoff Apple Stores lol. The manager's like "how else is a tech store supposed to look?" SMH.

As with the past three quarters, iPhone revenue suffered a year-over-year decline. Apple did see a  in sales in China year over year -- dropping $300 million compared to this quarter last year, but it was offset by growth in nearly every other geographical region.

That YoY decline is not scotch mist. Nor was it in the previous quarter or the one before that.

Huawei, whether you can see it or not, is one of the factors involved. In fact it is a major factor and there have been reports on this literally all year. How could you miss them?

This is from what I understand is Mr Trump's favourite news channel and is fresher than ever (released yesterday!):

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/huawei-crushing-apple-china-trump-blacklisting-patriotic-choice

So you’re from Lancashire or Yorkshire?
  • Reply 43 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,698member
    avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:
    clarker99 said:
    avon b7 said:
    melgross said:

So you’re from Lancashire or Yorkshire?
    Tooting actually. LOL

Freedom For Tooting!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/citizen-smith-who-tv-sitcom-uk-politics-returns-robert-lindsay-marxist-jeremy-corbyn-a7631306.html

Now, I consider you to have one of the best senses of humour around here but no commie jokes, please. LOL.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 45 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,698member

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3758000

Just a rumour at the moment.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 46 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    steven n. said:
    ireland said:
    Maybe reducing the prices a bit so people can afford an iPhone would be a start. The average phone buyer can’t afford to give $10M to marine research, Schiller. Most people struggle financially. Wish they weren’t so greedy. Base storage model XS at $999 is ridiculous.
    Are you saying people can’t afford an iPhone? Why get the XS and not an XR? Do you have a trade in?

This is just another everything should be free type of mindset. People have a choice to buy or not buy and based on these numbers (remember, overall cell phones are in harvest), people are buying. 
    There is a major difference between wanting free things and the price increases over the last few years. 4 years ago the top iPhone was $649 IIRC. That's a huge jump. Yes I know there's more tech in the phones but Apple hasn't dropped pricing on storage which is much cheaper etc. There is a balance. 

Of course majority of the product means less sales anyway. Maybe Apple needs to switch to a new phone cycle of two years. They've do fast now the difference between a X and XS and by most indications XI is so small who wants shell our another $1100-1500
    I feel like iPhone has always been expensive. Launch iPhone in 2007 was $599.00 which is about $762.00 today with inflation. Base XR is $749.00 today. So does the OLED screen ,more RAM  better cameras justify the $250 - $300.00 difference? For some people yes and others absolutely not.

I think the biggest 2 things affecting sales are the phones ability to last multiple years with software support and people's sticker shock of seeing the entire price of the phone without subsidy from the carriers. They used to walk in and pay 199.00 - 399.00 depending on storage and keep their monthly service and feel they got a deal.

I don't think anyone will have to shell out another 1100.00 - 1500.00 as you put it.  IPhones hold their value very well.. So whether it be trade in and start at zero after a year or sell private party you will be able to offset the price of a new phone, or recoup a nice chunk of what you spent if you bought it outright.

I am not disagreeing that the prices are high..  I balked this past year when it was time for my XS Max through the IUP. I did get it and love it BTW.. B)

What I am saying is that iPhone has always been expensive relatively speaking this isn't a new trend; just folks see the bottom line much more clearly nowadays than they had in the past IMHO.