AT&T adds free Spotify Premium option to Unlimited &More plans

Posted:
in General Discussion
AT&T is increasing the media options it is providing subscribers of its Unlimited &More plans from Tuesday, with customers able to use Spotify Premium at no extra charge, a move that follows shortly after Verizon's similar Apple Music offer was introduced.

Starting from August 6, customers using AT&T's Unlimited &More Premium plan can elect to have free access to Spotify Premium as part of their contract. The free service applies to both new and existing Spotify Premium users who are on the Unlimited &More Premium plan, with the free subscription reverting to a paid one if the user switches away from the price plan at the end of their contract.

Customers of AT&T's Unlimited &More plan, which costs a cheaper $70 per month for one line, may also be able to benefit from a six-month free trial of Spotify Premium, though after the free period it will cost customers $9.99 per month to maintain the subscription.

Spotify joins a number of existing music, movie, and entertainment perks offered to AT&T's Premium customers, including HBO Go, Cinemax. Showtime, Starz, VRV, and Pandora.

"We're thrilled to add Spotify Premium, the market leader in music streaming with more than 100 million subscribers worldwide, to our premium lineup," said AT&T Mobility & Entertainment VP of Consumer Marketing Mitch Farber. "It's another way we are working to deliver more value to AT&T customers with unlimited wireless and endless entertainment."

It was reported at the end of July Spotify had reached a total of 108 million paid subscribers and 232 million total users, including free tier accounts. In June, Apple Music was revealed to have passed by 60 million paid subscribers.

AT&T's announcement arrives a few days after rival carrier Verizon introduced new unlimited plans, with added access to Apple Music. The Start Unlimited and Do More Unlimited plans offer a free six-month subscription to Apple Music as part of the bundle, while the similar Get More Unlimited and Play More Unlimited include Apple Music for as long as the customer is subscribed to the plan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Today it’s “Free Spotify and Hulu with cellular contract.” 

Tomorrow it’s “Contract comes with Spotify, Hulu, Bing Internet search, and Yahoo home page. *additional fees apply for out-of-network services like Google, Wikipedia, Netflix.”

Fuck this shit.
    edited August 2019 davgregleftoverbaconJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    When you’re not competitive... throw in perks.

T-Mobile + Netflix was a more interesting perk.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all competitive and they all offer some sort of bundle.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    As an AT&T wireless customer and a Hulu customer I do not want my online services mixed up with my wireless bill.

If AT&T wants to impress me drop your charges for my service. If Hulu wants to impress me, offer me a la carte channels so I can drop 95% of what is bundled. I do not do subscription music, so Apple Music and Spotify hold no appeal.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    davgreg said:
    As an AT&T wireless customer and a Hulu customer I do not want my online services mixed up with my wireless bill.

If AT&T wants to impress me drop your charges for my service. If Hulu wants to impress me, offer me a la carte channels so I can drop 95% of what is bundled. I do not do subscription music, so Apple Music and Spotify hold no appeal.
    I say this with a touch of humorous snark and a whole lot more intended realism:  Neither AT&T nor Hulu want to impress you.  They both want to get more customers subscribing to their services.  Typically that entails offering more, not less.  A la carte was never going to be a thing. Proponents should give up hope and face that reality.  We got the only outcome that was ever gonna happen.  A crap ton of subscription services. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The guy running Apple Music loses another one!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Soli said:

Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all competitive and they all offer some sort of bundle.
    Sucker... ; )

https://www.cable.co.uk/mobiles/worldwide-data-pricing/
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The guy running Apple Music loses another one!
    What exactly is "another one"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    davgreg said:
    If AT&T wants to impress me drop your charges for my service.
    Been a long time customer until I moved to Sprint and saved $55 a month! Now the problem is slow or dropped connections on Sprint (I'm in San Antonio), which happens about 5 times a day. Looking into Verizon now for stable connection. 
    watto_cobra