An iPhone with in-screen Touch ID could ship as soon as 2021

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member
    wood1208 said:
    Face ID is superior than touch id but takes part of the screen notch to hide sensors. If whole screen is touchid than why bother having both methods present ? Don't see benefits keeping faceid.
    I have a friend whose fingers just don't work with touch ID. I have no idea why not but she can't make it work. More options can only be a good thing.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    spice-boy said:
    Great another layer of complexity just to use a damn phone.
    These aren’t phones. They’re pocket computers, often loaded with an immense amount of personal and financial data, that can also make calls. 
    JFC_PAwaverboy
  • Reply 23 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:
    Face ID is superior than touch id but takes part of the screen notch to hide sensors. If whole screen is touchid than why bother having both methods present ? Don't see benefits keeping faceid.
    Apple claims the chances of a random finger unlocking your phone is 1 in 50,000; FaceID is one in a million.

That said, I'd take TouchID back in a heartbeat. Turns out that two of my common iPhone use-cases are on the table, off to the side, without getting picked up; and pulling out of pocket, and glancing down out hip-height without holding up to face.
    I just performed these exact use cases on my X. To be clear: you do not have to hold the iPhone up to your face. Hip use from out of pocket, and flat on table work fine. 
  • Reply 24 of 28
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    You all geeks!

Bet your S *a sea of people* is withholding buying an iPhone for the loss of TouchId not wanting to insert their face into a phone. Call it instinct, subconscious, whatever, there are many who distrust gigantic companies like , just for its sheer size they have to submit to government, they cannot afford to lose bundles of money or even be treated JFK style.

Waiting for 2021 or changing to Crackdroid
  • Reply 25 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Eric_WVGG said:
    wood1208 said:
    Apple claims the chances of a random finger unlocking your phone is 1 in 50,000; FaceID is one in a million.

That said, I'd take TouchID back in a heartbeat. Turns out that two of my common iPhone use-cases are on the table, off to the side, without getting picked up; and pulling out of pocket, and glancing down out hip-height without holding up to face.
    I just performed these exact use cases on my X. To be clear: you do not have to hold the iPhone up to your face. Hip use from out of pocket, and flat on table work fine. 
    I doubt you're using it flat on the table in the same way as the OP or others have described, since in the use case I'm thinking of I'm sitting down and the camera is a foot away from me and pointing at a blank ceiling; there is literally no way FaceId would work without significant movement of the phone, or my body.  Touch Id on the other hand, would work just fine.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 26 of 28
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Ming-Chi Kuo ... bla, bla, bla - who cares
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dysamoria said:
    mobird said:
    Like many states already, here in Tennessee a new law went into effect July 1st that is referred to as the "Hands Free" law regarding phones/mobile devices making it illegal for a driver to:
    (a) hold a cellphone or mobile device with any part of their body,
    (b) write, send, or read any text-based communication,
    (c) reach for a cellphone or mobile device in a manner that requires the driver to no longer be in a seated driving position or properly restrained by a seat belt,
    (d) watch a video or movie on a cellphone or mobile device, and
    (e) record or broadcast video on a cellphone or mobile device.
    So with all of that said, Sync3 in my Ford Edge Sport does a great job overall but my iPhone is very difficult to wake up when in the cradle (trying to access at a stop light or not in motion) and FaceID is practically useless requiring the input of the code. TouchID would be preferable in this situation.
    Any accommodation for GPS mapping/directions?
    Supreme Court says you are good.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    my wife and both of my daughters can open one iPhone with their face and my daughters are not twins and born 2 years apart... not sure how Face ID is better.
    gatorguywaverboymuthuk_vanalingam