WOMD Factory in Iraq Found

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Smoking Gun?

You decide...

Quote:

"The 100-acre complex is adjacent to military barracks and surrounded by an electric fence, the report said.

It was not immediately clear what chemicals were being produced at the facility, but both reports said the Iraqis had tried to camouflage the facility so it looked like the surrounding desert and would not be spotted from the air."

News Link

For those who think this is about oil.

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 196
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Lets ignore it. Maybe it'll go away.
  • Reply 2 of 196
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    You sure can trust the Iraqi Government. I remember when they said to the world from the UN podium how they did not have "any" WOMD.

It is time to disarm Iraq.

Fellowship
  • Reply 3 of 196
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Maybe it is a "dual use" facility, and they are just pasteurizing milk to nourish the Iraqi people?
  • Reply 4 of 196
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Could be an aspirin factory. Man would we look stoopid!
  • Reply 5 of 196
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    The Pentagon still cannot confirm this news.

But I must say I am not the least surprised.
  • Reply 6 of 196
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    This is a "huge" facility according to the news sources, and not heavily guarded. How come the CIA (and every other intel. service) could miss something as massive as a 100 acre site? That is a huge area, and must have involved a lot of construction for a long time. All the activity and all the employees that must have worked in a site this large, all the traffic going in and out, the roads leading to and from the place...all visible (for years perhaps) by spy satellites that can read a newspaper headline from orbit....

Sounds like a fertilizer factory...of the organic variety produced by bovines. Not forgetting that there is a huge temptation for the Admin. to claim they found chemical/bio weapons....to justify the invasion. Finding nothing ain't going to look that great.
  • Reply 7 of 196
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Latest I've heard is this site is on the list of suspected WOMD sites, so it sounds like the CIA, et al. haven't missed it. Still, let's not jump to conclusions yet. Like someone else said, it could be banal like an aspirin factory. It's important to be truthful ad deliberate because the alternative will come back to bite you. The government is being very cautious in their tone about this site. It's the TV outlets that are making this into something bigger IMO.
  • Reply 8 of 196
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    for once ever in a political thread i'll go with SJO on this one.

i'd like to have some outside confirmation of this. let's be honest, it's not like our govt. wouldn't have a LOT to gain by making a plant or two.

by the same token, i don't really think they need to manufacture anything since i believe it's over there.

let's just wait and see, bit early to know for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 196
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Interestingly, Fox is saying that the Pentagon has confirmed that it's a WMD factory, but MSNBC says that we're still investigating what it's for.
  • Reply 10 of 196
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    According to http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81935,00.html it has been confirmed. If this isn't anything they shouldn't have, why would it have been camouflaged?
  • Reply 11 of 196
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

A senior pentagon official has confirmed to Fox News on Sunday that coalition forces have discovered a "huge" suspected chemical weapons factory near the Iraqi city of An Najaf, which is situated some 90 miles south of Baghdad.

actually, if you read that carefully it just says they found a suspected chem. weapons plant.
  • Reply 12 of 196
    Reuters is basically quoting the Jerusalem Post report. Interesting that were were booby-traps (one soldier was injured), electric fence (not out of the question for any kind of plant with dangerous chemicals) and camouflaged. Also, it sounds like some Iraqi generals that surrendered might have provided info about this or other such sites. UN inspectors reported they were unaware of any such facility. That reported by Fox from the UN. No other "confirmations" that it's a real WMD site except from Fox.

Last night, Fox jumped to the assumption that the sargeant who grenaded those tents in Kuwait did it for religious reasons. They got lucky their assumption seems to be at least partly right, maybe they're running with that luck.

linky
  • Reply 13 of 196
    I think this is the first of many such sites and evidence of WOMD that we will find. I am not surprised. I wonder how many barrells of VX or Anthrax we have to find before the world believes us.....
  • Reply 14 of 196
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    So exactly how thorough were the UN inspectors?
  • Reply 15 of 196
    Also remember that most of Iraq's chem/bio warheads are not on the big Al Samoud or SCUD missles, they're on 80-120mm artillery shells. Reportedly, all four Republican Guard divisions around Baghdad have a ton of these shells and have dug into city quarters as well as the outskirts.
  • Reply 16 of 196
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Fox news is not reliable, period. That said, it's too early to tell exactly what has been found. On the one hand it wouldn't surprise any thinking person to discover Iraq has chemical or bio-weapons plants, on the other, I'm not sure it would surprise me if our government would claim a fertilizer plant to be "capable of producing WOMD" either.

It's going to take a while for all these kinds of things to shake out folks, what's the point in speculating and using that speculation to antagonize people on the other side of the debate? That goes for both camps....
  • Reply 17 of 196
    If the CIA had the facility on their list, how come the inspectors never went there? Or did they? Chemical weapons leave chemical signatures all over the place.

And, to anyone who believes the garbage on Fox, may I interest you in a watch I have for sale?
  • Reply 18 of 196
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Maybe it is a "dual use" facility, and they are just pasteurizing milk to nourish the Iraqi people?

Hummmm? Louis Pasteur, wasn't he French?

• Reply 19 of 196
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Hummmm? Louis Pasteur, wasn't he French?

Wow....humor from Scott! Knock me out with a feather!
  • Reply 20 of 196
    More info: linky

There are apparently several sites they've either checking out or planning to check out. Some documents were found in western Iraq that apparently clued them in with at least some of these sites.

Quote:

U.N. weapons inspectors are not aware of any large-scale chemical sites which could be used to make chemical weapons in Najaf, said Ewen Buchanan, spokesman for the inspectors. However, there are many such dual-use sites in other parts of the country because of Iraq's petrochemical industry.

U.N. inspectors visited a cement plant in the Najaf area earlier this year to check on its explosives cache but did not report finding anything improper. A team of biological weapons inspectors also visited a university and school in Kufa, a few miles north of Najaf.