Disney streaming bundle includes Disney+, ESPN+ and ad-supported Hulu for $12.99 a month

Posted:
in General Discussion
When Disney launches its dedicated streaming service this fall customers will be able to sign up for a bundled tier that includes Disney+, ESPN+ and ad-supported Hulu for a monthly fee of $12.99.

Announced by Disney CEO Bob Iger during the company's quarterly earnings call on Tuesday, the bundle option combines Disney's three streaming services into a tidy package that will set users back less than $15 a month, reports CNBC.

The bundle is slated to launch alongside Disney+ on Nov. 12, Iger said.

Announced in April, Disney+ grants subscribers access to the entertainment giant's massive back catalog, including classic films from the "Disney Vault." Like industry stalwarts Netflix and Amazon, Disney plans to seed its streaming service with original content featuring characters from popular franchises like Star Wars and the Marvel Universe.

In addition to its own movies and TV shows, Disney will also incorporate titles gained from its recent purchase of 21st Century Fox. According to the report, all episodes of "The Simpsons," as well as movies like "The Sound of Music" and "The Princess Bride," will be available through Disney+ at launch.

Disney+ is priced at $6.99 per month, or $69.99 a year.

Apple is entering the streaming fray at roughly the same time as Disney and AT&T's WarnerMedia. The iPhone maker's branded subscription offering, Apple TV+, was announced at a special event in March and debuts this fall with millions of dollars' worth of original content from acclaimed Hollywood directors, producers and actors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I will bundle if I can get ad-free Hulu, which I already pay for. Ads piss me off.
    jkdsteveKompilerStrangeDaysking editor the gratechasmCarnagen2itivguyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Will Canada finally get Hulu?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Wow they are coming out punching. Great price to begin with. Considering all the Marvel Universe content previewed at Comic Con I’m pumped! Seeing that Disney+ is the competition will they be an app on the Apple TV?
    edited August 2019 Carnage
  • Reply 4 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Choices are good, competition is good. I'll be curious to see what AppleTV+ launches at; although it is quite unlikely I will subscribe. 

I think I just saw an offer of Amazon's Music Unlimited that competes with Apple Music for $1/mo for students. Wonder if Apple Music, or the others like Pandora, Spotify, youtube, will follow suit. Amazon has the obvious advantage of being tied to a warehouse to hook stoned kids into buying shiny things on a whim that the others lack.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    This is great. All ad supported Hulu users should convert since the ad supported Hulu alone costs almost 12 bucks. The DIsney+ and ESPN+ On top is hard to beat.  Go Disney. The question is does it fall under the Apple family plan?
    djames4242
  • Reply 6 of 33
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    gilly33 said:
    Wow they are coming out punching. Great price to begin with. Considering all the Marvel Universe content previewed at Comic Con I’m pumped! Seeing that Disney+ is the competition will they be an app on the Apple TV?
    The Mouse has certainly thrown down the gauntlet.  The Disney franchises, back catalog, live sports, and current TV (albeit with ads) will be hard to beat at that price.  If Apple doesn't come up with a creative scheme, and tries to charge $12 out of the gate for shows that no one has heard of or seen, it will be laughed out of the room.

That said, it would be foolish to believe that once the hooks are set, Disney won't ratchet up the pricing after their subscriber base is established.
    edited August 2019 djames4242CarnageFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Does ESPN+ include all the ESPN channels?  If so then I will subscribe for the football season and maybe keep it. 
  • Reply 8 of 33
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    gilly33 said:
    Seeing that Disney+ is the competition will they be an app on the Apple TV?

Hulu and ESPN+apps are already available for the AppleTV, so there's no reason there won't be a Disney+ app as well.

And both of those are a part of tv Channels, so the chances of Disney+ being available as a service is pretty good.
    supadav03
  • Reply 9 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    $15/mo for almost nothing. Hulu w/ads and without Live TV only costs $5.99 so for $7 you get Disney+ and ESPN+. ESPN+ costs $5/mo so you're getting Disney+ for $2. I understand Disney+ gets you some extra shows but I didn't see anything about this package offering live TV except possibly from ESPN+. I don't think this package is that big of a deal, especially at this price. I'm paying $45/mo for Hulu (w/ads) + Live TV. 
  • Reply 10 of 33
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    How much without ESPN? I don't watch sports, not even the ones I'm marginally interested in.

Bundling was the thing we were trying to get away from in cable, wasn't it? Or at least the ability to create our own bundles without things we don't really want.
    davgregtokyojimu
  • Reply 11 of 33
    eightzero said:
    Choices are good, competition is good. I'll be curious to see what AppleTV+ launches at;

Well there is such a thing as consumer fatigue - where we're presented with too many choices - it's getting there.

I can't imagine they're going to charge too much for it, especially if it is just their original content. Really doesn't seem like enough for a monthly service? However, if they made a good portion of the iTunes catalog available for streaming, then it might actually be worth something.

There were rumors that all original tv+ content was going to be free for users of their platforms, but I really can't see that happening.

If it is just original content, $4.99 for tv+, $12.99 for music/tv+bundle
    If it's original content and iTunes catalog, $9.99 for tv+, $14.99 for music/tv+bundle
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 12 of 33
    anome said:
    How much without ESPN? I don't watch sports, not even the ones I'm marginally interested in.

Bundling was the thing we were trying to get away from in cable, wasn't it? Or at least the ability to create our own bundles without things we don't really want.

You will have that option... This announcement is about the bundling of 3 individual services; Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu (w/ads). All of which will be available separately. ESPN+ and Hulu are available now. Disney+ is coming this Fall for $6.99/month. And given that Disney is pulling all their content from other services, it might be worth it?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The writing was on the wall as Disney was buying big studios and IP. I knew it was a waiting game until they got all the eggs they wanted in a basket. This is why I like Bob Iger. He's not afraid to blow money on Star Wars, Fox or Marvel if he knows he'll recoup the loss in the future and hold special content exclusively.

Apple is way too conservative with their cash hoard. They feel like if they can't buy something on discount they'll just make it themselves. Why not both?

Apple strategy of original content only is innovative and genius but I just wish they would acquire more content. Nintendo? Capcom? HBO? Even some small game/movie studios.

All these contenders think they'll be relevant in 10 years but I see it boiling down to 3 big players:

Netflix, Apple, Disney.

Netflix: Household name. Some decent exclusive and random odds and ends.
    Disney: A ton of good content and variety.
    Apple: Great exclusives that people will not want to miss. Content that can't be found elsewhere.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:
    Choices are good, competition is good. I'll be curious to see what AppleTV+ launches at;

Well there is such a thing as consumer fatigue - where we're presented with too many choices - it's getting there.

I can't imagine they're going to charge too much for it, especially if it is just their original content. Really doesn't seem like enough for a monthly service? However, if they made a good portion of the iTunes catalog available for streaming, then it might actually be worth something.

There were rumors that all original tv+ content was going to be free for users of their platforms, but I really can't see that happening.

If it's original content and iTunes catalog, $9.99 for tv+, $14.99 for music/tv+bundle
    How would Apple be able to offer streaming of the iTunes catalog?  It's not their content.  A lot of the rights holders are starting their own streaming services so I think they'd outright say no or charge Apple up the wazoo for Netflix-like streaming.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    This bundle helps Disney, not the consumer. It’s a way for them to monetize ESPN. 
    davgreg
  • Reply 16 of 33
    mjtomlin said:
    eightzero said:

How would Apple be able to offer streaming of the iTunes catalog?  It's not their content.  A lot of the rights holders are starting their own streaming services so I think they'd outright say no or charge Apple up the wazoo for Netflix-like streaming.

Both Amazon and Netflix offer tons of 3rd party content, there's no reason Apple couldn't do the same. I'd argue that most content producers are willing to make back catalog content available to other services as it is usually not something people specifically look for but find by discovery - so the more places the better. It's the new content that they'll hold sacred and want people to pay more for (sign up to 1st party streaming services). As it is now, Netflix usually has to wait up to a year before they get some 3rd party content.

Apple also has the ability to place a "Buy" button next to the "Play" button for those who might want to outright buy something they really like. That might be enough for 3rd party content producers to offer their older content for streaming.
  • Reply 17 of 33

Wgkrueger said:
    This bundle helps Disney, not the consumer. It’s a way for them to monetize ESPN. 

How exactly? All the above mentioned services are available separately.

It's a bundle. If you want all 3 services you'd be stupid to pay for them individually instead of getting the bundle.

Individually... 4.99+5.99+6.99 => 17.97
    Bundled => 12.99
    supadav03stompygatorguyFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 18 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    This is great. All ad supported Hulu users should convert since the ad supported Hulu alone costs almost 12 bucks. The DIsney+ and ESPN+ On top is hard to beat.  Go Disney. The question is does it fall under the Apple family plan?
    Limited Ad Hulu is $5.99 a month ..No Ads is $11.99 a month. 

https://signup.hulu.com/plans

This is a great price with ESPN + and Disney + included.  We currently use limited Ad Hulu so I will def give this a try. 
  • Reply 19 of 33
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I might do this. I was already interested in Disney+ and was likely go to subscribe. I currently have Hulu ($1 per month for the ad-supported tier) but was going to cancel after the year ended and promo expired. This bundle makes it more likely I’d keep Hulu. ESPN+ is kinda a stinker to me. It doesn’t have anything that’s shown on the broadcast channels so you have to be REALLY into sports to watch ESPN+, and I say that as a pretty big sports fans (I subscribe to both NFL Sunday Ticket & NBA League Pass). At $12.99 it basically cost what Netflix cost while offering a lot of content between the 3 services. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    rob53 said:
    $15/mo for almost nothing. Hulu w/ads and without Live TV only costs $5.99 so for $7 you get Disney+ and ESPN+. ESPN+ costs $5/mo so you're getting Disney+ for $2. I understand Disney+ gets you some extra shows but I didn't see anything about this package offering live TV except possibly from ESPN+. I don't think this package is that big of a deal, especially at this price. I'm paying $45/mo for Hulu (w/ads) + Live TV. 
    There’s a little more to a Disney + than some extra shows. You get their entire back catalog plus a bunch of stuff from 20th century Fox. If that doesn’t interest you ok, but you make it seem like they are almost ripping you off with the lack of content for the price?  
    supadav03