Apple Watch leads growing smartwatch segment with 5.7M units shipped in Q2

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple once again led the smartwatch pack during the second quarter of 2019, shipping an estimated 5.7 million Apple Watch units as it creeps toward a 50% share of the global market.

According to the latest statistics from Strategy Analytics, Apple shipped 5.7 million Apple Watch devices to capture 46.4% of the market during the three-month period ending in June. That result is up 50% from 3.8 million units shipped in the same quarter of 2018.

"Apple Watch remains a long way ahead of the chasing pack and its global smartwatch marketshare has grown to 46% this quarter, up from 44% a year ago," said Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics. "Apple Watch has fended off strong competition from hungry rivals like Fitbit. Apple remains the clear smartwatch market leader."

Samsung came in second with 2 million smartwatches shipped, more than doubling its performance year over year. Riding high on recent releases like the Galaxy Watch Active, the Korean tech giant upped its slice of the global smartwatch pie from 10.5% in the second quarter of 2018 to nearly 16% in 2019.

Third place Fitbit saw a dip in sales as its numbers dropped from 1.3 million units shipped in the second quarter of 2018 to 1.2 million in 2019. The wearable industry stalwart saw its share of the market contract from 15.2% to 9.8% over the same period. Earlier this month, Fitbit lowered guidance for its fiscal 2019 on weaker than expected sales of Versa Lite, a device once advertised as a budget Apple Watch competitor.

Overall, the smartwatch market continued to grow during quarter two, with market players shipping some 12.3 million units, up from 8.6 million in the year ago quarter.

Apple is forging ahead in its quest to dominate the wearables segment and most recently posted record revenues of $5.5 billion in a category that includes Apple Watch, AirPods, Beats, Apple TV and HomePod. Apple CEO Tim Cook in an earnings conference call in July said Apple Watch adoption was at record-breaking levels. On a wider level, Apple's wearables business benefitted from an influx of new users and enjoyed a 50% growth rate from the same time last year.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    The top three vendors have non-Android OS'es. So far, only Apple and Samsung have the money and vision to build an ecosystem. Only Apple has OS consistency across devices. Huawei will join the battle soon enough. Qualcomm makes an excellent SmartWatch chip but is already one year behind Apple.

gilly33watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Jason Snell (former Editor of MacWorld magazine) made a great observation. AppleWatch has crushed the competition into oblivion.

Rather like what the iPad have done. Where competitors have just given up. He said, he thinks a lot of people were thinking it would be like the iPhone, where Android has a huge market share...but no profits. Except where they harvest and sell your data!

BTW, I'm still rocking my Series Zero for every day wear to complete my circles and running.

Will be buying the new gen., so I can swim, and use the watch so I don't have to carry my iPhone.

Best

P.S. I remember back in the day when Apple iPod had 87% of the iPod (MP3 disc) market...and then Apple introduced the iPod shuffle (Flash based) and had 87% of that market by the following Friday! :) Good times. I miss looking at my white intel iMac, intel white MacBook, my shuffle and original iPhone with my white Apple spaceship router and Steve giving the KeyNotes. Oh well.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    designr said:
    One of the things this seems to reinforce is that, as great as Apple is doing with this segment, (smart) phones are where the real money is and will continue to be. As great as these sales figures are this is like 1-2 weeks of phone sales.

Yes. Apple knows this and were smart enough to plan for it... They're selling fewer phones, but still making more money by expanding in other areas, specifically, wearables and services. So even though people are hanging on to their phones a lot longer now, Apple has been able to make up for it by producing desirable "satellite" products that work seamlessly with those phones.

So as long as Apple continues to add and move their iOS platform forward, people will eventually upgrade to new iPhone.

gilly33StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    designr said:
    One of the things this seems to reinforce is that, as great as Apple is doing with this segment, (smart) phones are where the real money is and will continue to be. As great as these sales figures are this is like 1-2 weeks of phone sales.

The phone seems to be the one device that everyone has. Heck some people even carry two (work and personal). I see lots of people without watches at all and many for whom the classic (non smart/digital) design is preferred. But everyone has a phone and it's with them almost 24/7.

The phone turns out to be the near perfect form factor for 80-90% of people's use cases. It is the true "personal computer." I suspect the watch, simply because of form limits, will never quite get there.

Apple will keep going with this. It's no business to laugh off by any means and the watch brings value particularly its health monitoring features. But from a business POV, it's nothing compared to the phone.
    Why do you judge a watch from a business POV? Or, what are the watches not nothing from a business POV? The only ones I can imagine are those purchased by mid-range executive crowd as a status symbol !
    gilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    designr said:

The phone seems to be the one device that everyone has. Heck some people even carry two (work and personal). I see lots of people without watches at all and many for whom the classic (non smart/digital) design is preferred. But everyone has a phone and it's with them almost 24/7.

The phone turns out to be the near perfect form factor for 80-90% of people's use cases. It is the true "personal computer." I suspect the watch, simply because of form limits, will never quite get there.

Apple will keep going with this. It's no business to laugh off by any means and the watch brings value particularly its health monitoring features. But from a business POV, it's nothing compared to the phone.

Because Android sells knockoff iPhones for dirt cheap and it's a communications device you will see more sales.

Apple Watch is more of a luxury than a commodity with hardly any viable knockoffs. Because of this people who can afford and Apple Watch(Apple users) will buy one as a companion device.

This is why Android iPad knockoffs and watches struggle because the average android user can only afford the bare minimum(knockoff iPhone) and not luxuries such as android watches/iPad knockoffs/Streaming boxes/you name it.

Don't be surprised if Apple Watch reaches 50%+ marketshare. I predict 80% marketshare eventually unless a very cheap knockoff hits the market. Fitbit is trying to do this.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I love the “accuracy” of these estimates, quoted like they are fact. Why it’s down to the nearest 100,000!

in Australia, Samsung gears are quite rare except in the IT geek crowd. It’s either Fitbit or Apple Watch. I would say Fitbit is a bit more common so far, probably because the price gap is so large, and Apple Watch does not have the full range of features as the US to work as a selling point. .

edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It will be interesting how new system that will made Watch moreover independent from phone will impact its appeal and sales.
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 16
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    frantisek said:
    It will be interesting how new system that will made Watch moreover independent from phone will impact its appeal and sales.
    This is an important point. So far Apple Watch sales are necessarily a subset of iPhone sales, because you have to have the phone to run the watch. Currently it’s possible to leave the phone behind for a while, but you have to go back to it eventually. The next Watch OS edges things closer to functional independence. 

Eventually, is seems likely that a watch with no phone will become an option. How many will choose this, leaving the typing and web surfing for iPads or notebooks, and just use a watch for routine connectivity while going about your day? 
    AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    designr said:

You had to go spin this onto a conversation about the phone did yuh. Thanks for the info captain obvious. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Jason Snell (former Editor of MacWorld magazine) made a great observation. AppleWatch has crushed the competition into oblivion.

Rather like what the iPad have done. Where competitors have just given up. He said, he thinks a lot of people were thinking it would be like the iPhone, where Android has a huge market share...but no profits. Except where they harvest and sell your data!

BTW, I'm still rocking my Series Zero for every day wear to complete my circles and running.

Will be buying the new gen., so I can swim, and use the watch so I don't have to carry my iPhone.

Best

P.S. I remember back in the day when Apple iPod had 87% of the iPod (MP3 disc) market...and then Apple introduced the iPod shuffle (Flash based) and had 87% of that market by the following Friday! :) Good times. I miss looking at my white intel iMac, intel white MacBook, my shuffle and original iPhone with my white Apple spaceship router and Steve giving the KeyNotes. Oh well.
    Yes, they DID crush it.   Undeniably.  
    But, like the Terminator:   "They'll be back!".  
    Other vendors will keep on improving their hardware and eventually catch up to Apple's hardware -- just as they've done with other Apple products.

But, like those other products, those competitors will always be lacking one important thing:  Apple's software, its ecosystem and how it all integrates with other Apple products.

My Apple Watch integrates seamlessly with Apple's ecosystem, my iPhone and, to a lesser degree, my Mac.   It is an integration that cannot adequately be expressed in words -- but they all compliment each other and make each other stronger.   I seriously doubt that any competitor will ever be able to match that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    designr said:

Because Android sells knockoff iPhones for dirt cheap and it's a communications device you will see more sales.

Apple Watch is more of a luxury than a commodity with hardly any viable knockoffs. Because of this people who can afford and Apple Watch(Apple users) will buy one as a companion device.

This is why Android iPad knockoffs and watches struggle because the average android user can only afford the bare minimum(knockoff iPhone) and not luxuries such as android watches/iPad knockoffs/Streaming boxes/you name it.

Don't be surprised if Apple Watch reaches 50%+ marketshare. I predict 80% marketshare eventually unless a very cheap knockoff hits the market. Fitbit is trying to do this.
    I can't see Apple reaching and sustaining 80% marketshare.

There will eventually be smartwatches that  are 'good enough' (sound familiar?) at all price bands. Apple won't be able to sustain 80% of such a market.

'Eventually' might also be sooner rather than later.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 16

Best

Yes, they DID crush it.   Undeniably.  
    But, like the Terminator:   "They'll be back!".  
    Other vendors will keep on improving their hardware and eventually catch up to Apple's hardware -- just as they've done with other Apple products.

But, like those other products, those competitors will always be lacking one important thing:  Apple's software, its ecosystem and how it all integrates with other Apple products.

My Apple Watch integrates seamlessly with Apple's ecosystem, my iPhone and, to a lesser degree, my Mac.   It is an integration that cannot adequately be expressed in words -- but they all compliment each other and make each other stronger.   I seriously doubt that any competitor will ever be able to match that.
    Couldn't agree more. The quality software and the eco-system. It's why I only use the Apple Apps, mail, safari, Pages etc., etc. They may not be as full-featured as the third-party apps but they are so damn integrated! :)
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    designr said:

There will eventually be smartwatches that  are 'good enough' (sound familiar?) at all price bands. Apple won't be able to sustain 80% of such a market.

1. Apple isn't far off (if already there).

2. iKnockoff users can't afford luxuries like a watch. Apple users CAN. This is why Android iPad wannabes failed and 35 buck Amazon versions are killing it! Sound familiar?

Maybe Samsung or Huawei will release a cheap knockoff(If Huawei already hasn't) but again, it will be crap and outsell Apple due to price leaving Apple to reap 90%+ of all profits again.

entropys said:
    I love the “accuracy” of these estimates, quoted like they are fact. Why it’s down to the nearest 100,000!

in Australia, Samsung gears are quite rare except in the IT geek crowd. It’s either Fitbit or Apple Watch. I would say Fitbit is a bit more common so far, probably because the price gap is so large, and Apple Watch does not have the full range of features as the US to work as a selling point. .

Mostly Apple Watch with a few Fitbit watches and a tiny bit random android crap sprinkled in the U.S.

This would be my anecdotal chart:

50% Analog watches

40% Apple Watch

8% Fitbit

2% Random android crap
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    designr said:
    According to Gruber, Watch does more revenue than iPod every did, already (It was an overnight billion dollar business at launch). Comparing it to iphone revenue is pointless and silly as iPhone is the most successful product in human history, and a once in a lifetime success. Few things will compare to it, and not measuring up to iPhone-level success is not a detriment. Again, pointless comparison. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

avon b7 said:
    designr said:

Move them goal posts! Classic move by you — claiming that because a bunch of different companies will sell a bunch of crappier chinese knockoffs, while making little to no money doing it, that this means Apple is somehow losing. 

Errrnnnrt. Nope. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra