New Apple videos cover how to apply for and use Apple Card

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Emphasizing the simplicity and speed of signing up, ten new videos from Apple cover applying for Apple Card directly in your iPhone's Wallet app through using the titanium card at retail.

Alongside a limited release of the Apple Card for a small group of testers outside the company, Apple has released a series of 10 videos that not just details the remarkably few steps needed for you to apply, but how to activate the titanium card, how to get support, and more.

To apply, Right now you need to have received an invitation before the feature is available in your Wallet app, but thereafter it's a fast process.

Inside the Wallet app, there is a button with a plus sign at top right of the front screen. Tap this and all users go to a section that lets you add regular credit and debit cards. Those with invitations, however, also get an option to tap to add Apple Card.

Then you get a description of the card alongside optional information you can see about how Apple and Goldman Sachs Bank manage your data, plus details about the card's rates and terms.

If you tap Continue, you're shown a form with details such as contact information, date of birth and so on. Very nicely, that information is likely to have already been filled out for you because your device gathers it from your Apple ID. You can change or correct it here, then tap Next.

Apple's video rather skips over a section now as it does not detail what you see as you wait to find out if you've been approved. Users who are already signed up report that this stage takes no more than a minute or two, though.

If you're approved, the next screen you see will show you a summary of what your Apple Card is offering you. That will be the credit limit, the APR and the fact that there are no fees.

Apple recommends that you check the fine print in the Offer Terms and Conditions, and that you should look into your credit score.

Assuming you want to go ahead, you tap Accept Apple Card and you're done.

The card is immediately added to your iPhone, and also to your Apple Watch. It's really been added to your Apple ID, so it's even available in Safari.

One thing to note is that Apple tells you the Apple Card will "be automatically selected when you use Apple Pay." That might not be what you want, so you'll have to go through Wallet settings to change it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Any idea on which credit bureau they would be using.  I would need to un-freeze that one.  No need to do all three.
    davengutengel
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mdirvin said:
    Any idea on which credit bureau they would be using.  I would need to un-freeze that one.  No need to do all three.
    TransUnion.
    indieshacknetmageGeorgeBMackuraijdw
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mdirvin said:
    TransUnion.
    Beats Experian for expedience.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    mdirvin said:
    TransUnion.
    Great question and great to have an answer - thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 30
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    mdirvin said:
    Smart move. I also locked all three years ago.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Off Topic: There are 4 major credit bureaus, people. Don't forget Innovis.

You may also want to create accounts at the SSA and IRS so that no one else can.

edited August 2019 gutengelGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 7 of 30
    edited August 2019 netmagerandominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 30
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I updated to latest iOS but when I tap the + on the Wallet app, it just opens the cam for scanning a card. I guess is not rolled out to everyone yet...
  • Reply 9 of 30
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Looking forward to it. It will be rather interesting to see if or how Apple adds further financial features to the card. Other vendors offer creative bonuses, rate deals, even insurance products. Apple seems serious about being a services company, so we will see if they walk that talk. Credit and financial services are the one of the world's largest, most lucrative businesses. 
  • Reply 10 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gutengel said:
    I updated to latest iOS but when I tap the + on the Wallet app, it just opens the cam for scanning a card. I guess is not rolled out to everyone yet...
    Not yet.   Right now its essentially by invitation only to selected people.
    gutengel
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Soli said:
    That's pretty cool.  Clearly Apple has at least a few things in mind beyond just "here's a credit card with no fees and good security."  
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Soli said:
    That's pretty cool.  Clearly Apple has at least a few things in mind beyond just "here's a credit card with no fees and good security."  
    It's easy to argue that the color effect is ultimately gimmicky compared to looking at a chart showing the actual values of each product category, and yet it's definitely a nice effect that helps users know how their spending leans while making each digital card unique.

I don't recall anyone suggesting this between Patel's tweet and the card's introduction. It certainly never occurred to me despite my curiosity as to why the digital card would look different than the physical card.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Soli said:
    I don't recall anyone suggesting this between Patel's tweet and the card's introduction. It certainly never occurred to me despite my curiosity as to why the digital card would look different than the physical card.
    The color changing of the virtual card was known since the very beginning, when Apple first announced it.

I forget where i read about it, but it was known that each color represented a category and the card would change based on what categories the user had spent money on,
  • Reply 14 of 30
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Soli said:
    Off Topic: There are 4 major credit bureaus, people. Don't forget Innovis.

Innovis isn't one of the big ones the US Federal Government requires to give away free credit reports, so I'm not surprised a lot of people don't know about them.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I signed up for it shortly after they announced it. Today I received an e-mail to activate it. Activating it times out, tried for the past couple of hours: "Account services unavailable"
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 16 of 30
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Got the invite. Signed up. Everything worked the first time. Used it to renew my Apple Developer account. 

Looks like I got in early for some reason. 
  • Reply 17 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    jdb8167 said:
    Got the invite. Signed up. Everything worked the first time. Used it to renew my Apple Developer account. 

Looks like I got in early for some reason. 
    The answer may be in the last sentence, there. I'd guess that early invites go to "influencers" and select developers.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    But how do you link your existing bank account so that you can pay off your Apple Card balance?
    I've not seen a single article or forum comment that covers this most fundamental question.  Thanks.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    jdw said:
    But how do you link your existing bank account so that you can pay off your Apple Card balance?
    I've not seen a single article or forum comment that covers this most fundamental question.  Thanks.
    I bet it’s as straight forward as it is when setting up Apple Cash. I’d even bet that it will automatically pull that info from your Apple Cash card.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Soli said:
    jdw said:
    I bet it’s as straight forward as it is when setting up Apple Cash. I’d even bet that it will automatically pull that info from your Apple Cash card.
    I don't use Apple Cash, so please explain the process of linking a bank account to pay that.

Again, I've yet to see a single article or forum post on this topic and it really makes me wonder why!