IHS: Apple to start production of 16-inch MacBook Pro in September, phase out 15-inch mode...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Rumors of a 16-inch MacBook Pro launch continued to swirl this week, with one analyst claiming Apple plans to start manufacturing the big-screen laptop as a de facto replacement for the current 15-inch model.

Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.

In a note to investors over the weekend, IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin said production of the as-yet-unannounced 16-inch MacBook Pro will begin in September with a target volume of 39,000 units per month, reports Forbes.

Lin in an email hinted that the introduction of a 16-inch MacBook Pro would mark an end to Apple's longstanding 15.4-inch model. The analyst specified an end-of-life in November, saying, "We think 15.4 [inch] MacBook volumes will shift to 16 [inch]," the report said.

The tentative reading of Apple's strategy was confirmed by an "OEM & panel supplier."

"I am pretty sure that MacBook 15.4" will be EOL [End-of-Life]," Lin said in a follow-up email.

Getting a good read of Apple's future plans is thought to be especially difficult for the 16-inch MacBook Pro, as the company is rumored to retain the chassis that serves as a base for the 15-inch variant. Aside from internal modifications and a larger display, the laptop could feasibly adopt an aesthetic largely similar to its 15-inch predecessor.

Beyond screen size, the 16-inch MacBook Pro is somewhat of a mystery. Rumors suggest the laptop was designed by Apple's pro product team, the same group that worked on the upcoming Mac Pro. If true, the Pro could benefit from beefy internals and custom hardware specifically designed to handle professional applications.

According to Lin, the laptop will be powered by an unreleased refresh of Intel's Coffee Lake-H mobile processor series. Apple currently relies on Coffee Lake-H silicon to power its 15-inch MacBook Pro lineup.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin...
    Loved his work with ELO, less so the Travelling Wilburys.

But seriously, I am actually looking forward to the 16" MBP. If only to see where they're going. Plus my current 15" is nearly 3 years old, so I can just about justify replacing it. Especially if I use it for actual work.
    seanjbuckalec
  • Reply 2 of 35
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    All good with 16: but what about upgraded MBA and 13" MBP with Intel's 10nm processors ?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    ...please let's get back to laptops that are durable, can be 3rd party repaired and upgraded easily, and offer BTO options for those of us that don't want a $700 (as rumoured) touch bar that can only be work flowed on some mac hardware... Is 15.4" > 16" also questionable? How about a 4K 17" display to upgrade to the next commercial standard from the last HD (1080p) 17" model ?
    dougdanantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 35
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I'd love to see something compelling in the bigger MacBook Pro line. I stepped down to a 13" last year after a long run buying the biggest, baddest MBP 15" that was available. I just couldn't see doing any real photo retouching work on any MBP, basically my Laptop has been relegated to a glorified communication and project management device, while all the production occurs on my fully loaded iMac 27". A few years back, I could easily do light-medium-duty photo retouching on a current (at the time) 15" MBP. Now I can barely open a complex Photoshop document on any MacBook Pro.

I'm very hopeful for a big change. Thought, I hope it doesn't get too big. Even though there is a compelling argument to be made that Apple has made too many compromises in pursuit of the light & thin designs, I am thankful every time I take my MBP with me to a client site of photoshoot that they are such easy travelers. I could give back a few millimeters for the sake of better performance, but I'm happy give Apple a pass on soldering chips and limiting user upgrades if it keeps the machine easily packable.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Hmm I seem to be the only one not liking this news. While I have no problems with a 16inch or larger form factor the dropping of the 15 inch is not good news. If this is the plan it's clearly a pricing strategy call to ensure they can charge a higher retail price across their laptop line. When you spec out a 13 inch it now bleeds into the 15inch model space and you are simply better off getting the 15inch from a value for money point of view. With dropping the 15 and placing in a 16inch they will clearly raise the prices (cause 16 inch not 15 now) which will just push the MacBook Pro prices up further. I've used Macs since the powerpc days and for a long time nothing on the windows side hardware wise came close to the Mac laptops. Increasingly that's just not true anymore on the hardware side, love MacOS X but with the constant price increases and dropping of hardware functionality and horrible keyboards it's increasing not stacking up for me anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Rumors suggest the laptop was designed by Apple's pro product team, the same group that worked on the upcoming Mac Pro.

One thing I'm hoping makes its way down to the MBPs from the pro team is the laser etched matte option on the screens, if that's at all possible. I got really excited when I saw that as an option on the new display, but not because I need one of those, but that it showed they realized people do appreciate that option. :) I had the optional matte antiglare "hi-res" option on my 2011 I retired this past fall and am missing it (well, the reflectivity of it anyway) with my 2018 MBP, as beautiful as this screen is otherwise. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 35

polymnia said:
    I just couldn't see doing any real photo retouching work on any MBP
    [...]
    A few years back, I could easily do light-medium-duty photo retouching on a current (at the time) 15" MBP. Now I can barely open a complex Photoshop document on any MacBook Pro.
    Yikes. How much RAM did you have in these machines? I did quite a bit of photo editing and opening of quite large at times (up to over a gig) PSDs without too much beachballing on my old 2011 MBP. My 2018 MBP doesn't break a sweat on either at all.

...please let's get back to laptops that are durable, can be 3rd party repaired and upgraded easily, and offer BTO options for those of us that don't want a $700 (as rumoured) touch bar that can only be work flowed on some mac hardware... Is 15.4" > 16" also questionable? How about a 4K 17" display to upgrade to the next commercial standard from the last HD (1080p) 17" model ?
    Keep fucking that chicken.
    Rayz2016tmayStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 35
    So basically the same laptop with less bezel around the screen. Hopefully that's true, because I do not want a larger laptop (W x L). 
    randominternetpersoncaladanianjimh2
  • Reply 9 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member

polymnia said:
    I just couldn't see doing any real photo retouching work on any MBP
    [...]
    A few years back, I could easily do light-medium-duty photo retouching on a current (at the time) 15" MBP. Now I can barely open a complex Photoshop document on any MacBook Pro.
    Yikes. How much RAM did you have in these machines? I did quite a bit of photo editing and opening of quite large at times (up to over a gig) PSDs without too much beachballing on my old 2011 MBP. My 2018 MBP doesn't break a sweat on either at all.
    Likewise. I’m sure I’m not a world-class retoucher like polymnia or anything close to it, but my photo work has been shown professionally and printed in various name-brand publications, and I’ve done all kinds of multi-layered stuff with Photoshop and RAW files on recent machines without even breaking a sweat.

...[his usual gibberish that, even if he ever got it which he won’t, he would then complain about the price of]
    Keep fucking that chicken.
    Fastasleep wins quote of the year so far with that one.
    edited August 2019 fastasleepmacplusplusfrantisekStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 35

I don't think you'll get the MBP you are looking for. That ship has sailed.
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 35
    anome said:
    IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin...
    Loved his work with ELO, less so the Travelling Wilburys.
    Well that’s because no matter how good of a musician you are when you share a stage with the great Roy Orbison you can only pale in comparison.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

The laptops can be repaired by third parties. What he’s asking for is a laptop that he can take to any unapproved back street hack shop and have its battery replaced with a lithium bomb for $2.50. 

Then when his laptop sets fire to his basement, he can come back here and claim Apple dun him rong. 
    edited August 2019 fastasleepStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:

The laptops can be repaired by third parties. What he’s asking for is a laptop that he can take to any unapproved back street hack shop and have its battery replaced with a lithium bomb for $2.50. 

Then when his laptop sets fire to his basement, he can come back here and claim Apple dun him rong. 
    I've upgraded drives in pretty much every mac portable I've ever owned, most recently a still perfectly functional 17" macbook pro to a 1TB SSD for under $150 - why is asking for something like this for future products unreasonable, irrespective of T2 and touch bar benefits for those that may want, need and (or) be willing to pay for such...? I understand polymnia's interest in daily portability too, vs the occasional 'portable desktop' approach. To me the recently discontinued macbook distilled the onboard strategy to a remarkable degree.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:

I've upgraded drives in pretty much every mac portable I've ever owned, most recently a still perfectly functional 17" macbook pro to a 1TB SSD for under $150 - why is asking for something like this for future products unreasonable, irrespective of T2 and touch bar benefits for those that may want, need and (or) be willing to pay for such...? I understand polymnia's interest in daily portability too, vs the occasional 'portable desktop' approach. To me the recently discontinued macbook distilled the onboard strategy to a remarkable degree.
    Look, I don't think anyone here would get mad if they started doing slotted storage, but I am pretty much willing to guarantee you if that happens it's not going to be regular NVMe boards, it'll be some proprietary tiny shit like what they're putting in the Mac Pro, and you'd complain about that too if it were to (unlikely) happen? What you want is not happening ever again, and you need to get over it. Is this really the hill you want to die on? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Look, I don't think anyone here would get mad if they started doing slotted storage, but I am pretty much willing to guarantee you if that happens it's not going to be regular NVMe boards, it'll be some proprietary tiny shit like what they're putting in the Mac Pro, and you'd complain about that too if it were to (unlikely) happen? What you want is not happening ever again, and you need to get over it. Is this really the hill you want to die on? 
    That does seem the new(er) Apple way, irrespective of debatable customer benefit, and in contrast to PC options such as the 17.3" 4K www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro-v2 admittedly more of a 'luggable' -  "...the Razer Blade Pro is one of the world's thinnest and most powerful gaming laptops" LAPTOP Mag (Editor's Choice)
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 16 of 35
    I hope the same happens to the 13.3" MacBook Pro and MacBook Air being replaced with 14" variants with thinner bezels and the same form factor.
    It's probably gonna look like in the mock-up here on Appleinsider but there are other renders out there with round corners and equal thickness on every side that I found looking way nicer. Would be awesome if it looked like that!
    caladanian
  • Reply 17 of 35
    That does seem the new(er) Apple way, irrespective of debatable customer benefit, and in contrast to PC options such as the 17.3" 4K www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro-v2 admittedly more of a 'luggable' -  "...the Razer Blade Pro is one of the world's thinnest and most powerful gaming laptops" LAPTOP Mag (Editor's Choice)
    LOL yeah no thanks, how much does that fucking thing weigh anyway? Jesus FC! 7 or 8 pounds almost. Honestly, I'd be more than happy if Apple just made a big fat Homer Car for you types but I know they won't, which is why we all give you shit for continually harping about all these things they'll never do. Sorry, but it's truth.
    tmayStrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 35

LOL yeah no thanks, how much does that fucking thing weigh anyway? Jesus FC! 7 or 8 pounds almost. Honestly, I'd be more than happy if Apple just made a big fat Homer Car for you types but I know they won't, which is why we all give you shit for continually harping about all these things they'll never do. Sorry, but it's truth.
    You would love the 250W power adapter too...  You are reminding me of when Steve Jobs was quoted 'no video ipod' www.engadget.com/2004/04/29/steve-jobs-says-it-again-no-video-ipod/ and so it goes
  • Reply 19 of 35
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    You can not pack 17" into the current 15" body. Source: Math.

Morover, if the display is retina, why would you like to put 4k into it? Just to have technical stats but not much added value for consumers? Source: Biology of human eye.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysEric_WVGGfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 35
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Hmm I seem to be the only one not liking this news. While I have no problems with a 16inch or larger form factor the dropping of the 15 inch is not good news. If this is the plan it's clearly a pricing strategy call to ensure they can charge a higher retail price across their laptop line. When you spec out a 13 inch it now bleeds into the 15inch model space and you are simply better off getting the 15inch from a value for money point of view. With dropping the 15 and placing in a 16inch they will clearly raise the prices (cause 16 inch not 15 now) which will just push the MacBook Pro prices up further. I've used Macs since the powerpc days and for a long time nothing on the windows side hardware wise came close to the Mac laptops. Increasingly that's just not true anymore on the hardware side, love MacOS X but with the constant price increases and dropping of hardware functionality and horrible keyboards it's increasing not stacking up for me anymore.
    Inflation?