IHS: Apple to start production of 16-inch MacBook Pro in September, phase out 15-inch mode...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    polymnia said:
    A few years back, I could easily do light-medium-duty photo retouching on a current (at the time) 15" MBP. Now I can barely open a complex Photoshop document on any MacBook Pro.
    That doesn't make any sense at all. "light medium" before and "barely open" now?

I can open huge, multi photos with tons on layers on MBP just fine. Paint huge-ass sized, tons of DPI images, too.

And millions of designers have no problem doing heavy duty work.

The new MBP models only got faster compared to that "a few years back 15" MBP", and Photoshop hasn't changed much, so what exactly is your deal?
    edited August 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 35
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    urahara said:
    You can not pack 17" into the current 15" body. Source: Math.

Morover, if the display is retina, why would you like to put 4k into it? Just to have technical stats but not much added value for consumers? Source: Biology of human eye.
    Agreed...

Why I linked the Razer @ 17.3" @ 4K (255ppi) which falls within the 'retina' spec for those who prefer sharper scaling and yet allows for every 4K pixel to be shown for 2160p pro work:  www.omnicalculator.com/other/pixels-per-inch
  • Reply 23 of 35
    If they lose the butterfly keyboard, I will buy it.  If not, forget it.  Deal breaker for many people.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Rayz2016 said:
    ...please let's get back to laptops that are durable, can be 3rd party repaired and upgraded easily, and offer BTO options for those of us that don't want a $700 (as rumoured) touch bar that can only be work flowed on some mac hardware... Is 15.4" > 16" also questionable? How about a 4K 17" display to upgrade to the next commercial standard from the last HD (1080p) 17" model ?

I don't think you'll get the MBP you are looking for. That ship has sailed.
    The laptops can be repaired by third parties. What he’s asking for is a laptop that he can take to any unapproved back street hack shop and have its battery replaced with a lithium bomb for $2.50. 

Then when his laptop sets fire to his basement, he can come back here and claim Apple dun him rong. 
    I've upgraded drives in pretty much every mac portable I've ever owned, most recently a still perfectly functional 17" macbook pro to a 1TB SSD for under $150 - why is asking for something like this for future products unreasonable, irrespective of T2 and touch bar benefits for those that may want, need and (or) be willing to pay for such...? I understand polymnia's interest in daily portability too, vs the occasional 'portable desktop' approach. To me the recently discontinued macbook distilled the onboard strategy to a remarkable degree.
    Because you’re a fringe case outlier and don’t represent normal customers whatsoever? Most people never, ever upgrade their machines let alone notebooks. I’m a pro techie and neither do I. I value Macs as tools approaching appliance computing, valuing their thinness and thus lightness and easier portability. 

If you want bulky machines you can upgrade storage on, get a Dell. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Look, I don't think anyone here would get mad if they started doing slotted storage, but I am pretty much willing to guarantee you if that happens it's not going to be regular NVMe boards, it'll be some proprietary tiny shit like what they're putting in the Mac Pro, and you'd complain about that too if it were to (unlikely) happen? What you want is not happening ever again, and you need to get over it. Is this really the hill you want to die on? 
    That does seem the new(er) Apple way, irrespective of debatable customer benefit, and in contrast to PC options such as the 17.3" 4K www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro-v2 admittedly more of a 'luggable' -  "...the Razer Blade Pro is one of the world's thinnest and most powerful gaming laptops" LAPTOP Mag (Editor's Choice)
    And owners on Reddit complain about its absurdly loud fans, it sounds like a jet preparing for takeoff. Buy one if that’s what you want. That isn’t a MBP. 
    edited August 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Exactly what problem is this solving? Does anyone have a sense?

At a minimum, does it matter whether it will have a larger screen but the same weight and price as the current MBP15?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member

And owners on Reddit complain about its absurdly loud fans, it sounds like a jet preparing for takeoff. Buy one if that’s what you want. That isn’t a MBP. 
    I agree, and that is why I sold my 2011 17" quad core for a 2010 dual core model... Also why I mentioned the 250w power adapter.

I understand VEGA graphics run much cooler (and faster) than even the 500 series and offered the Razer reference as proof of concept. Of course I expect an Apple design would differ, and be quieter, and run macOS of course...
  • Reply 28 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

That does seem the new(er) Apple way, irrespective of debatable customer benefit, and in contrast to PC options such as the 17.3" 4K www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-pro-v2 admittedly more of a 'luggable' -  "...the Razer Blade Pro is one of the world's thinnest and most powerful gaming laptops" LAPTOP Mag (Editor's Choice)
    LOL yeah no thanks, how much does that fucking thing weigh anyway? Jesus FC! 7 or 8 pounds almost. Honestly, I'd be more than happy if Apple just made a big fat Homer Car for you types but I know they won't, which is why we all give you shit for continually harping about all these things they'll never do. Sorry, but it's truth.
    You would love the 250W power adapter too...  You are reminding me of when Steve Jobs was quoted 'no video ipod' www.engadget.com/2004/04/29/steve-jobs-says-it-again-no-video-ipod/ and so it goes
    If I wanted a desktop, I’d buy a desktop. 
  • Reply 29 of 35

At a minimum, does it matter whether it will have a larger screen but the same weight and price as the current MBP15?
    What problem does it solve with a larger sleeker screen and less bezels? The same ones the new iPad Pros did over their predecessors, and you don’t hear any negativity around that.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    foljs said:
    polymnia said:
    A few years back, I could easily do light-medium-duty photo retouching on a current (at the time) 15" MBP. Now I can barely open a complex Photoshop document on any MacBook Pro.
    That doesn't make any sense at all. "light medium" before and "barely open" now?

I can open huge, multi photos with tons on layers on MBP just fine. Paint huge-ass sized, tons of DPI images, too.

And millions of designers have no problem doing heavy duty work.

The new MBP models only got faster compared to that "a few years back 15" MBP", and Photoshop hasn't changed much, so what exactly is your deal?
    My bad, I guess I’m just an idiot. But I’m not going to try doing my work on a MBP until there is significant improvement. Your experience may vary. 

I save more time by bringing work back to my home studio and doing it there than staying put on-site and working on a MBP. 

Maybe its the 48GB of RAM in the iMac? My last 15” was a fully decked out 2015 model with 16GB which did okay, but got really laggy while using painting, cloning & selection tools in Photoshop. when the RAM limit wasn’t raised in time to replace the 2015 MBP that was becoming less & less viable, I made the decision to go with a non-production MBP. That decision worked for me and my business. Not sure why anyone would be upset about my decision to use a desktop for my work, but this is how I came to that decision. 

Maybe the 16” will change that (which I mention in my original comment) in which case I’d love to get a production-ready MBP.

Some specific things that are problematic for me: photoshop has changed significantly in the last few years. The select & mask tools have been significantly upgraded and really stress the system. All the content aware tools are quite taxing. I use Perfect Resize for extreme photo enlargement which often just bombs on a MBP, guessing memory constraints or something, it’s only a reliable process on my desktop. 

Capture One does pretty good on a MBP, which is quite nice. Unfortunately, Capture One is just the first stage of my workflow and is followed immediately by Photoshop which is where the performance goes to shit.
  • Reply 31 of 35

What problem does it solve with a larger sleeker screen and less bezels? The same ones the new iPad Pros did over their predecessors, and you don’t hear any negativity around that.
    Yeah, but price? Weight?

You make it sound like “sleeker screen and less bezels” will be free. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 32 of 35
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    When you spec out a 13 inch it now bleeds into the 15inch model space and you are simply better off getting the 15inch from a value for money point of view.
    I think you’re concern trolling here. Back when the first gen MBP was released in 2006, I was going to get a moderately optioned 15 inch variant, but got a base 17 inch instead because the 17 inch included the same features for a little less money. Nothing new for Apple products. 
  • Reply 33 of 35

Yeah, but price? Weight?

You make it sound like “sleeker screen and less bezels” will be free. 
    I’m not speculating on either, so not sure why you’d make assumptions. we might just have to wait and find out. Regardless, it sounds like an improvement to me. 
  • Reply 34 of 35
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    urahara said:
    You can not pack 17" into the current 15" body. Source: Math.

Morover, if the display is retina, why would you like to put 4k into it? Just to have technical stats but not much added value for consumers? Source: Biology of human eye.
    Agreed...

Why I linked the Razer @ 17.3" @ 4K (255ppi) which falls within the 'retina' spec for those who prefer sharper scaling and yet allows for every 4K pixel to be shown for 2160p pro work:  www.omnicalculator.com/other/pixels-per-inch
    Sigh.

Do you know the real reason for OEM to pick 4K over the rest?

Standardized resolution is cheaper.

Or I guess 36% fewer pixels doesn't transfer to battery life, or there's no software option for you to scale up to 3840x2400, aka more space, eh?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Geez.  I know, Intel sucks and Apple kept pushing to the thermal limits, but come on, all of you really just lost your mind.  You're bragging it wrong.

I think the Pro team should keep the great user experience while putting the performance (mainly the CPU and RAM) first.
    A perfect balance between sharpness & consumption is such a thing.
    edited August 2019