Apple owners would pay up to $600 more for a folding iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    arlor said:
    For the record, I predict that if Apple ever does make a folding phone, the balance of commentary here will shift from "why would anybody ever want that?" to "Apple figured out how to do it right and I need one."
    If that happens it will likely be true - Apple would have once again shown the correct way. There is no shame in that whatsoever.  

The crap we’ve seen thus far is not the right way, and doesn’t illustrate why we need this. 
    pscooter63Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    I honestly do not see the appeal. An overly thick phone with a screen on the inside that has a ripple or crease in the middle. Said screen too small for use as a tablet, and artists would hate the transition ripple in the middle. The inside screen would be too big and the device uncomfortably heavy for a phone. It literally sounds like a device with the worst traits of all devices put together. And all that for a very premium price. I’ll pass.
    That's likely why Huawei folded it the other way -- with the screen on the outside.   Plus, that saves them from having to add a second, small screen.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I do not desire a folding phone and certainly not one any more expensive.
    ireland
  • Reply 24 of 36
    still waiting for the iphone nano; a phone w/ screen size of iphone se, but no bezel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    arlor said:
    For the record, I predict that if Apple ever does make a folding phone, the balance of commentary here will shift from "why would anybody ever want that?" to "Apple figured out how to do it right and I need one."
    If that happens it will likely be true - Apple would have once again shown the correct way. There is no shame in that whatsoever.  

The crap we’ve seen thus far is not the right way, and doesn’t illustrate why we need this. 
    arlor is absolutely correct. But there is shame in that, and absurdity as well.  Because the idiots on parade aren't saying 'When Apple does it, I'll consider their execution and how it impressed me or not'.

What said idiots are saying is 'Nobody will want it, there's no reason to have a larger screen, the current sizes should be good enough for everybody cuz they're good enough for me' and 'even though I haven't seen it- it'll be too thick I know it. I channel Digitimes and Kuo.' Most of those IoPs were probably complaining about iPhones getting too thin. Bendgate! 

If Apple is working on a folding phone, then bring it! Let's see whatcha got. I'll cast my vote when I see something available.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    RajkaRajka Posts: 32member
    $600 is less than what Apple prices its premium iPhones at now. Hmmmm.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rajka said:
    $600 is less than what Apple prices its premium iPhones at now. Hmmmm.
    The article is claiming $600 extra.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    I honestly do not see the appeal. An overly thick phone with a screen on the inside that has a ripple or crease in the middle. Said screen too small for use as a tablet, and artists would hate the transition ripple in the middle. The inside screen would be too big and the device uncomfortably heavy for a phone. It literally sounds like a device with the worst traits of all devices put together. And all that for a very premium price. I’ll pass.
    That's likely why Huawei folded it the other way -- with the screen on the outside.   Plus, that saves them from having to add a second, small screen.
    I literally laughed when I saw Huawei’s version. A plastic screen on the outside where it will get scratched every time you set it down or even put it in your pocket. It was the dumbest idea yet. Huawei was fighting so hard to be first that they forgot it had to be practical. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    macgui said:
    arlor said:

arlor is absolutely correct. But there is shame in that, and absurdity as well.  Because the idiots on parade aren't saying 'When Apple does it, I'll consider their execution and how it impressed me or not'.

What said idiots are saying is 'Nobody will want it, there's no reason to have a larger screen, the current sizes should be good enough for everybody cuz they're good enough for me' and 'even though I haven't seen it- it'll be too thick I know it. I channel Digitimes and Kuo.' Most of those IoPs were probably complaining about iPhones getting too thin. Bendgate! 

If Apple is working on a folding phone, then bring it! Let's see whatcha got. I'll cast my vote when I see something available.
    Those people are definitely out there and there is a certain mentality to go with it but in this case there is little new in the idea.

We had the Nokia Communicator and flip phones too. The idea of something folding to reduce its footprint isn't wacky in the slightest and someone has to bring a product to market for us to know if something ready for prime time both in terms of durability and use. Without these - very expensive - baby steps we will never bring prices down, improve durability and overall design.

In this case it isn't Apple but we have two possible implementations (folding inward and folding outward) that might reach the market.

These are exciting times and as few of us can actually take a risk on a first gen phone at these prices anyway, all we have to is sit back and watch, in the hope that a market develops for the product and prices come down although a 600 dollar premium is too much for a miser like me.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    avon b7 said:
    I'm a Product Manager that deals with high tech products and all I can say is Nope, Nope, andddd Nope!  Don't waste your time on this .00025 use case.  Nobody wants to carry a thick phone that won't fit in their front or rear pocket.  How would this be mounted in the car when driving?  How to fit on a wireless charge stand (If you all haven't tried these you are missing out - so nice). I'm not going back to plugging my phone in several times per day... Too many "nopes" involved.
    The Mate X is 11mm thick at its thickest point. 5.4mm at it thinnest but more importantly, this is a first generation product.

11mm is not at all 'thick'. That's the starting point. They will get thinner.

When you have 85% of your phone charged in 30 minutes, slow wireless charging becomes largely irrelevant. Very few people would see plugging a reversible connector in as a handicap. And almost nobody is going to plug their phone in several times a day.
    For a phone, 11mm is thick. That’s like the old flip phones - probably thicker. The Xs is 7.7mm thick, so that’s 50% thicker. 

Yes, it’s a starting point, but unless they make dramatic improvements in materials, I still see thickness being an issue. There are minimum overhead requirements for the screen, case and folding that you can’t escape.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:
    I literally laughed when I saw Huawei’s version. A plastic screen on the outside where it will get scratched every time you set it down or even put it in your pocket. It was the dumbest idea yet. Huawei was fighting so hard to be first that they forgot it had to be practical. 
    Thanks for your opinion.   I'll trust the engineers at Huawei.  
  • Reply 32 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    I'm a Product Manager that deals with high tech products and all I can say is Nope, Nope, andddd Nope!  Don't waste your time on this .00025 use case.  Nobody wants to carry a thick phone that won't fit in their front or rear pocket.  How would this be mounted in the car when driving?  How to fit on a wireless charge stand (If you all haven't tried these you are missing out - so nice). I'm not going back to plugging my phone in several times per day... Too many "nopes" involved.
    The Mate X is 11mm thick at its thickest point. 5.4mm at it thinnest but more importantly, this is a first generation product.

11mm is not at all 'thick'. That's the starting point. They will get thinner.

When you have 85% of your phone charged in 30 minutes, slow wireless charging becomes largely irrelevant. Very few people would see plugging a reversible connector in as a handicap. And almost nobody is going to plug their phone in several times a day.
    For a phone, 11mm is thick. That’s like the old flip phones - probably thicker. The Xs is 7.7mm thick, so that’s 50% thicker. 

Yes, it’s a starting point, but unless they make dramatic improvements in materials, I still see thickness being an issue. There are minimum overhead requirements for the screen, case and folding that you can’t escape.
    11mm is absolutely not thick. I just measured both my Honor 10 and the wife's XR. They both live in cases. Mine is a Spigen and hers is a transparent gel case. The thickness of both phones is almost exactly 11mm.

The Mate X will probably have to live in a case too but it is far more likely not to be a permanent case but a slip in, slip out style case.

Even 11mm feels thin in real everyday use.

Let's forget for a moment that, unfolded, the Mate X is so thin that you will probably want the 11mm side bar for a healthy grip (just like on cameras).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    LOL. Please. There is no folding Apple phone so it’s impossible for anyone to assert that people want one.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Never say never, right?

The thing that's ridiculous about this new report is the inference/conclusion that the market is clamoring for a $1600 iPhone.

I have little doubt that folding devices have a future, but so do 100s of other things I can't even imagine.  I expect Apple is doing R&D on this technology and when/if they can do it and meet their other requirements (for elegance, reliability, profitability, etc.) they will create such a product.  On the other hand, I don't see folding phone by other vendors to be a threat to Apple this year or next year.
    I wonder if the original article is being mis-read. I see it as the respondents being willing to pay US$400-500 for a premium phone and up to US$600 for a phone that folds.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Prior to 2007 I was using Windows Phone. Ther were so many pain points using it. When I saw the keynote, I said: this is what I wanted all that time!
    I have no big pain ponits using iPhone.
    What would drive me to have a foldable phone, even if it wolud be from apple?
    What am I missing from my user experience which wil be covered by the foldable phone?
    Personally, for me the foldable phone would not solve any my needs any better than the current model.
    watto_cobra