Samsung's new Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+ arrive on Aug. 23

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Samsung has announced the Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+ at their Unpacked event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Here's what Samsung's newest smartphone is bringing to the table and how much it's going to cost.

Galaxy Note 10 and 10+

The Galaxy Note 10 has officially been announced, though because the phone was so widely leaked, those who have been following news about the smartphone will likely already know what to expect.

The Galaxy Note 10 has a HDR10+ 6.3-inch screen at 2280x1080 resolution, with the Note 10+ coming in at 6.8 inches diagonally at 3040x1440, moving it well into phablet-size territory. For comparison, the iPhone XS Max features a 6.5-inch display. The Galaxy Fold came in at 7.3-inches, though a fragile display had forced the initial launch to be delayed in hopes of a better redesign.

Both models feature edge-to-edge displays and a "hole-punch" front facing camera. The Note 10 has a 16MP ultra wide rear shooter, paired with 12MP wide-angle and telephoto lenses. The Note 10+ has a "Quad Camera" with a ultra-wide 16MP shooter, paired with wide-angle and telephoto lenses both at 12MP, and a VGA resolution DepthVision camera for augmented reality applications and similar.

RAM varies between 8GB and 12GB depending on model, wireless connectivity, and internal storage. Storage begins at 256GB. The Galaxy Note 10+ has a microSD card reader, but the smaller Note 10 does not have card reading capability.

Galaxy Note 10 display features

The updated line has ditched the 3.5mm headphone jack. Wired connectivity is provided by USB-C.

Audio Zoom microphones can adjust audio to match the field of view

Large batteries boast a 3,500mAh capacity for the Galaxy Note 10 and a 4,300mAh capacity for the Galaxy Note 10+. Both include a Superfast Charge, giving users the ability to top up their phones in just a few minutes of charge time.

The updated S Pen stylus now includes air gestures, acting as a "magic wand for your smartphone." Utilizing the air gestures, users will be able to take remote photos, convert handwriting to text, swap lenses, cycle through presentation slides, control music, and more.

Launching alongside the new handsets is Samsung's DeX app for Windows and Mac, which enables USB-based drag-and-drop file sharing between devices.

The Galaxy Note 10 is available starting at $949 in one of nine colors, and the Galaxy Note 10+ at $1099. Both 4G and 5G versions will be available, with 5G starting at $1049 for the Galaxy Note 10, and $1299 for the Galaxy Note 10+. Most versions will ship on August 23 in the US and UK, with preorders starting on August 7.

Samsung is also offering a trade up and save rebate of up to $600, which is valid at third-party retailers, such as B&H Photo.

Updated with information about DeX.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I'll wonder what Samsung will do differently this time. The smartphone/flashbang of some years ago had been good for some laughs... Earlier in this year, the broke within hours of use "foldable" was an unmitigated clusterf*ck! What will this one offer to thrill people who have more money than brains???
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member

Seems to be some solid releases.... new phablets (in two similar sizes), updated watch, and a new laptop that runs Windows.

Apple is slowly being overshadowed by this. Let's hope they have something special in September, but I doubt it.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    The whining over the loss of the headphone jack has already begun at The Verge.  :D And the statement by the Samsung spokesperson seems to imply that going forward, no Samsung flagship will have a 3.5” headphone port. Let the user hostility commence. /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Seems to be some solid releases.... new phablets (in two similar sizes), updated watch, and a new laptop that runs Windows.

Apple is slowly being overshadowed by this. Let's hope they have something special in September, but I doubt it.

Apple is being overshadowed by a knockoff that will never reach iPhone numbers and Windows.... right.

P.S. I'm sure their new innovative laptop is just a Macbook knockoff with a Windows reskin.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    jdb8167 said:
    The whining over the loss of the headphone jack has already begun at The Verge.  :D And the statement by the Samsung spokesperson seems to imply that going forward, no Samsung flagship will have a 3.5” headphone port. Let the user hostility commence. /s
    That’s because Samsung didn’t have the “courage” to cut the headphone cord in 2016. It’s much easier when somebody else trail-blazes for you. It’s precisely because of Apple’s decision 3 years ago to eliminate the headset jack that there are so many more audio bluetooth options for cell phones now, making Samsung’s decision much easier, sans the whining of their fanboys.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Convergence of design, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    Looks like a solid release to me and I like the styling. However, I read somewhere that the fast charging cable is sold separately. That's miserly in my book.
    muthuk_vanalingamCarnage
  • Reply 8 of 12
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    my favourite part about this is the whinging over the 3.5mm jack. samsung made it a point to poke fun at apple, now they are done with the jack. pointless poke i suppose.

and 6.3 and 6.8. if apple did that the tech world would bemoan the lack of size differentiation.  also, the price? will anyone go after them for it?
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    No one will buy a cellphone over $1000, not to mention it is without headphones jack.
    TheStemGroupwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    revenant said:
    my favourite part about this is the whinging over the 3.5mm jack. samsung made it a point to poke fun at apple, now they are done with the jack. pointless poke i suppose.

and 6.3 and 6.8. if apple did that the tech world would bemoan the lack of size differentiation.  also, the price? will anyone go after them for it?
    Headphone jack:  Samsung might not have been the first to remove the headphone jack.  They waited literal years until the tech was fully matured and then did the removal right.    - Excuse #214 - Fanboy Book of Excuses ← I'm being facetious, re-purposing and remixing the oft repeat phrase used by some Apple fans.

Current iPhone sizes:  XS- 5.8, XR- 6.1, and Max- 6.5  
    Current Sammy sizes  S10e- 5.8, S10- 6.1, and S10+ 6.4  upcoming Notes:  6.3 and 6.8.  That's a ~16% size difference measured on the diagonal (which is how screens are measured)

No one bemoans the size differentiation because from Apple or Samsung, it's not an issue.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Waits for this phone to fall apart like every other Samsung phone upon release....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Maybe they'll resurrect the exploding batteries, just for kicks