Everything new in iOS 13 beta 6

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2019
Developer beta 6 of iOS 13 has been released. Here are all the changes found this time around including tweaks to folders, Control Center, and more.

iOS 13 beta 6
iOS 13 beta 6

Several apps have new splash screens upon launch after updating. The App Store touts the new update location -- as well as Apple Arcade. Photos teases the new video editing and immersive experience. Game Center also has a splash screen when launching an app that utilizes it.

Dark mode now has its own top-level toggle inside of Control Center. This avoids the annoyance of having to 3D Touch on the brightness toggle. It can be enabled within the Control Center settings.

Folders now have a more saturated background that reflects the wallpaper behind them. This looks good in places like a dark background, but odd in others. We aren't sure if this is a bug or a purposeful design choice.

There are a few other changes including screenshots returning to rectangular corners instead of being cropped to curves, URL previews can now be hidden on a per-app basis, and the signal bar designator for cellular is back to its smaller size.

ETA sharing in Maps seems to be gone at this time. Hopefully it returns before the full release. (Thanks Jason!)

Tapping with three fingers brings up the cut/copy/paste controls anywhere in the OS. The ability to announce messages on the second generation set of AirPods has been removed in this beta. The wording on the background location popup modal has been tweaked. The location, analytics, and Apple Pay privacy policies were also tweaked.

Anything else?

These are all the changes we've found so far but the list is obviously non-exhaustive. If you've found any other changes, reach out on Twitter @Andrew_OSU.

Be sure to check out all the changes from iOS 13 beta 2, in beta 3, as well as in beta 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Based on all that's supposedly new that have been listed so far, OS13 sounds to me like a fairly trivial set of changes.

If it weren't for the additional security that it likely brings, I probably would not bother with it.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I don’t see it as trivial at all. Really looking forward to iOS 13
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Based on all that's supposedly new that have been listed so far, OS13 sounds to me like a fairly trivial set of changes.

If it weren't for the additional security that it likely brings, I probably would not bother with it.
    Apparently you don’t own an iPad. 

For iPhone, Dark Mode alone is an instant “buy”.
    StrangeDaysdhawkins541lollivernetmageTheHo0d
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member

Killer feature for the iPhone is the ability to automatically silence robo calls. I haven’t installed iOS 13 on my iPhone yet so I haven’t tried this feature.

Other than that, this is a iPadOS feature release from what I can tell.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

While I don’t understand Anant’s pessimism and completely disagree with his take that iOS 13’s charges are trivial, with the recent designation forking from iOS 13 he very likely isn’t referring to ipadOS 13 in his comment.

PS: I wish Apple would just drop the version numbers for the marketing of all their OSes. Instead reder to them all with the same name macOS gets for a release year. E.g: iOS Catalina, ipadOS Catalina, watchOS Catalina, tvOS Catalina, and macOS Catalina.
    sidricthevikinglolliveranantksundaram
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Soli said:

While I don’t understand Anant’s pessimism and completely disagree with his take that iOS 13’s charges are trivial, with the recent designation forking from iOS 13 he very likely isn’t referring to ipadOS 13 in his comment.

PS: I wish Apple would just drop the version numbers for the marketing of all their OSes. Instead reder to them all with the same name macOS gets for a release year. E.g: iOS Catalina, ipadOS Catalina, watchOS Catalina, tvOS Catalina, and macOS Catalina.
    Well he actually didn’t preface “OS” with anything, so. :)

Strong disagree on giving iOS forks the same name as macOS, not sure why but it feels wrong to me. 
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    netmage
  • Reply 7 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

If USB file system access, dark mode, and all the stuff on iPad is trivial, ok...
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 16

If USB file system access, dark mode, and all the stuff on iPad is trivial, ok...
    I must have missed the reference to iPadOS above... can you point me to it?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 9 of 16
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    jdb8167 said:

Killer feature for the iPhone is the ability to automatically silence robo calls. I haven’t installed iOS 13 on my iPhone yet so I haven’t tried this feature.

It's not using a RoboCall database. If the number is not listed in your phone it will just be silenced. I've missed a few very important calls. (Killer feature huh)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    yuck9 said:
    jdb8167 said:

It's not using a RoboCall database. If the number is not listed in your phone it will just be silenced. I've missed a few very important calls. (Killer feature huh)
    It's definitely a killer feature, but that doesn't mean it's a great feature for all people under all conditions. If these calls are so important and they have to come from a number not in your contacts and if you want this feature enabled then people will do what they've done regarding messages of significance and will leave a message either detailing why they are contacting you or for you to get in touch with them. This simple procedure predates both the voicemail and the telephone.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    yuck9 said:
    jdb8167 said:

1. It did kill your sound, so, yes, it is a killer feature. ;)
    2. Don't use a feature that turns off sound if you want the sound to be on.
    3. Don't use a beta on a device that it is "very important" to you that it works as you expect it to.
    beowulfschmidtmike1urahara
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member

These are only the changes noticed so far since the last beta, not all the iOS13 changes.
    uraharanetmage
  • Reply 13 of 16
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member

I must have missed the reference to iOS in the above... can you point me to it?
    alexonline
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Communication limits have been removed from Screen Time options in the latest beta
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sanssans Posts: 58member
    netmage said:

I must have missed the reference to iOS in the above... can you point me to it?
    Playing devil's advocate: I would guess that the statement was framed with iOS in mind as the video and photos are using an iPhone. Also, while the article does tag iPad as well as the iPhone, it only tags iOS, and not iPadOS.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I wish they’d introduce app window style support in the future for better multitasking. Way to use that screen real estate