At Samsung Unpacked, CEO Satya Nadella escalates Microsoft partnership

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung's "special guest" as teased by CEO DJ Koh was none other than Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, talking up an expansion of the long-running Samsung and Microsoft collaboration.

Samsung's DJ Koh (left) and Microsoft's Satya Nadella at Samsung Unpacked
Samsung's DJ Koh (left) and Microsoft's Satya Nadella at Samsung Unpacked

Microsoft's and Samsung's partnership dates back to 2014, with bundling of Microsoft software on the Galaxy series of devices. The announcement and appearance on Wednesday at Samsung Unpacked escalates this partnership, with the Note 10 being sold in Microsoft's retail stores further driving the point home.

"Microsoft and Samsung share a long history of innovation and collaboration, and today's announcements mark the next stage in our partnership," said Nadella on-stage and in a statement distributed to press after the Samsung Unpacked event. "Our ambition is to help people be more productive on any device, anywhere - and the combination of our intelligent experiences with Samsung's powerful, new devices makes this a reality."

Starting with the Note 10, Samsung is bundling the Microsoft Your Phone app. The connectivity will allow Your Phone users to make and receive calls on a Windows PC later in 2019, in much the same way that iOS and macOS have been able to since iOS 11.

"Link to Windows" also brings features that iOS users have had for some time to the Samsung phone announced today. The new link allows synchronization of text messages and photos between a phone and Windows. An expansion of DeX allows users to connect a Note 10 to a Windows PC or Mac with a USB-C cable, to see the phone's screen on the desktop.

"We believe the mobile industry is on the cusp of a transformation, one in which individual devices give way to seamless, connected and continuous experiences, wherever we go," said Samsung President and CEO of IT & Mobile Communications Division DJ Koh. "Open collaborations, like this industry-leading partnership with Microsoft, are instrumental in pioneering a new generation of mobile experiences. As new technologies like 5G become a reality, our partnership will play an important role in helping people live more fluid, flexible lives."

The Note 10 is the first Samsung device to be "seamlessly integrated" into Microsoft's solutions. Samsung says that the Note 10 family is the first to get an "enhanced Outlook experience."

Coming soon from the pairing is synchronization with Microsoft OneDrive from Samsung Gallery, and a "Link to Windows" with one-button connection to mirror data on the phone to a connected Windows PC.

At present, it isn't clear what, if any, of the enhancements will make it to not just Android as a whole, but to other Samsung phones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    2770 Lorca2770 Lorca Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Collaborations are sacred today, hellish tomorrow.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Microsoft and Google are competitors. It is strange Microsoft CEO shows up at an event mainly for Android devices. Maybe Apple is so strong that Microsoft hopes to bundle with Google to defeat Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Full Microsoft Office on a Samsung tablet?  That would be interesting... maybe even tempting.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Full Microsoft Office on a Samsung tablet?  That would be interesting... maybe even tempting.
    Would you expect it to be different than Office on an iPad?
    AppleExposedericthehalfbeelolliverpscooter63roundaboutnowuraharaJinTechwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tzeshan said:
    Microsoft and Google are competitors. It is strange Microsoft CEO shows up at an event mainly for Android devices. Maybe Apple is so strong that Microsoft hopes to bundle with Google to defeat Apple. 

When has Sammy gave a F about Google? This is about selfish Sammy not Google.They're scumbags and will stab everyone in the back if it means getting closer to being Apple.

I'd laugh my a$$ off it Samsung builds a strong relationship with Microsoft and pisses off Google.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    tzeshan said:
    Or maybe MS understands that ubiquity in their product reach is better for their bottom line.  It's why they've also bolstered their relationship with Apple under Nadella.  MS is only trying to defeat Apple in some fanboy's wet dream... or a DED article. :D  :D  MS just wants their products available to everyone, everywhere, on every device. They aren't the Empire trying to defeat the Rebel Alliance.
    AppleExposed said: 

When has Sammy gave a F about Google? This is about selfish Sammy not Google.They're scumbags and will stab everyone in the back if it means getting closer to being Apple.

I'd laugh my a$$ off it Samsung builds a strong relationship with Microsoft and pisses off Google.
    When has Samsung not had a good relationship with Microsoft?  It's always been there.  How do you guys come up with these imaginary battles?  These are mega corporations doing business together to make money.  Samsung works with Google, Apple, and Microsoft... who works with Samsung, Google, and Apple... who works with Samsung, Microsoft and Google... who works with Samsung, Apple, and Microsoft.  They're competitors and companions.
    edited August 2019 gatorguypujones1dedgeckoroundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamCarnageSanctum1972philboogie
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Too little, too late.

If Samsung has rushed these devices in the same way they rushed the Note 7 out the door to beat the iPhone 7 in 2016, maybe they will explode spontaneously as well. Ahhh...maybe Samsung only rushed the Note 10 in the same way they rushed the Fold. In that case, these devices will simply fail in the hands of reviewers. In either case, Samsung has the same litany of gimmicky features (like monkeys blindly hurling their poop against the wall to see what “sticks”) that will be hardly remembered in a year or two.
    edited August 2019 AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    tzeshan said:
    Or maybe MS understands that ubiquity in their product reach is better for their bottom line.  It's why they've also bolstered their relationship with Apple under Nadella.  MS is only trying to defeat Apple in some fanboy's wet dream... or a DED article. :D  :D  MS just wants their products available to everyone, everywhere, on every device. They aren't the Empire trying to defeat the Rebel Alliance.
    AppleExposed said: 

When has Samsung not had a good relationship with Microsoft?  It's always been there.  How do you guys come up with these imaginary battles?  These are mega corporations doing business together to make money.  Samsung works with Google, Apple, and Microsoft... who works with Samsung, Google, and Apple... who works with Samsung, Microsoft and Google... who works with Samsung, Apple, and Microsoft.  They're competitors and companions.

Tossing a crappy version of office software on a free OS is a "strong relationship" to you? haha.

Again it's gonna be funny as Sammy dumps more of Googles crap.
    lolliverpujones1pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tzeshan said:
    AppleExposed said: 

Tossing a crappy version of office software on a free OS is a "strong relationship" to you? haha.

Again it's gonna be funny as Sammy dumps more of Googles crap.
    Might be user error.  Office works fine for me regardless of OS.  Can't fathom your "Sammy dumps Google" logic.  Their relationship with MS existed even before Google came into existence.  They aren't dropping Android for Tizen and MS is out of mobile.  Unless you can provide some intelligible evidence, I'd rather discuss something within the realm of possibility.  So far all you've contributed to the conversation, and I'm paraphrasing here, is Samsung is crappy.  Google is crappy.  MS is crappy.
    avon b7gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wonder what HP, Dell and Lenovo think about this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    You wouldn’t be tempted. Their mobile versions are significantly stripped down, you can’t even edit a style in Word. Think of those as demo versions to collect Office 365 subscriptions. I only use OneNote iOS for business purposes, but sync to OneDrive fails most of the time, maybe because I use the free tier?
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Why would they think anything?  All three of them already have x86 ARM computers.  This isn't something new and it's not like Samsung hasn't been making Windows PC's for decades.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 19
    You wouldn’t be tempted. Their mobile versions are significantly stripped down, you can’t even edit a style in Word. Think of those as demo versions to collect Office 365 subscriptions. I only use OneNote iOS for business purposes, but sync to OneDrive fails most of the time, maybe because I use the free tier?
    I think you misunderstood what seanismorris said. Agreed, the mobile versions of Office are stripped down, hence the mention of "full" Office being interesting.
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 14 of 19
    At least Samsung's CEO didn't have Satya on a live video link as a giant head...
    cincyteewatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    At least Samsung's CEO didn't have Satya on a live video link as a giant head...
    Microsoft was much more important back then. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mygigmygig Posts: 40member
    Windows PC later in 2019, in much the same way that iOS and macOS have been able to since iOS 11.

I believe this has been a thing since iOS 8 with continuity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Why would they think anything?  All three of them already have x86 ARM computers.  This isn't something new and it's not like Samsung hasn't been making Windows PC's for decades.
    But it sure seems like Microsoft is getting very cozy with Samsung. I guess because they’re in mobile where the other three aren’t really. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    But it sure seems like Microsoft is getting very cozy with Samsung. I guess because they’re in mobile where the other three aren’t really. 
    I think you may be experiencing a little bit of recency bias.  Because they're in the news together recently, you've inferred a more cozy relationship.  In reality it's business as usual with Samsung and Microsoft.  Their relationship has not appreciably changed at all.  I have no proof at all but I think Samsung wanted some additional sizzle at their presentation so they got MS to agree (read paid exclusive) to debut the new x86 ARM computers with them.  My guess is we'll start seeing more and more of these computers from all the usual suspects very soon.

BTW, Lenovo is in mobile.  Lenovo has owned Motorola since 2014.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 19 of 19
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    “Starting with the Note 10, Samsung is bundling the Microsoft Your Phone app. The connectivity will allow Your Phone users to make and receive calls on a Windows PC later in 2019, in much the same way that iOS and macOS have been able to since iOS 11.“

Actually we have had this capability with apple since 2014 with the introduction of iOS 8, as part of continuity/handoff, not iOS 11. 

This is still going to be a weaker experience than Apple OS integrations due to the fact that two separate companies are having to collaborate to deliver anything remotely close to the ecosystem that we’re accustomed to and have benefitted from for many years. 

Innovation indeed.... Congratulations Microsoft & Samsung...
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra