Samsung removes ads mocking Apple after removing headphone jack

Posted:
in General Discussion
The newly announced Samsung Galaxy Note 10 is missing a 3.5mm headphone jack in favor of a single USB-C port, and it used to mock Apple in advertising for removing it. Now, Samsung is trying to revise history by deleting the ads in question.

Samsung removes Growing Up from YouTube channels

You might remember the advertisements Samsung ran in late 2017, most notably after Apple had removed the headphone jack from its iPhone 7 line and subsequent phones.

The ad in question, titled "Growing Up," featured an iPhone user who, through the years, had become more and more dissatisfied with each iPhone he'd purchased, until he finally purchased a Samsung Galaxy in 2017. The catalyst for the switch? The lack of wireless charging and a 3.5mm audio port.

Samsung seems to be phasing out the headphone jack as well, simply providing users with a USB-C port in the Galaxy Note 10 series. The change is hardly surprising, as Samsung was one of the last flagship smartphone manufacturers to include an audio jack. Widespread Bluetooth adoption and readily available audio adapters have made 3.5mm audio jacks less of a necessity in recent years.

Competitors have long mocked Apple in an attempt to undermine the iPhone. Most recently, Huawei had been seen "gifting" those waiting in line for an iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max power banks in an attempt to mock the device's assumed small battery life.

However, as first spotted by Business Insider, Samsung seemingly wants to remove the evidence of once mocking Apple over their lack of an audio jack, as "Growing Up" has since been pulled from many of the Samsung YouTube channels. Samsung clearly wants to remove the evidence that they are now doing the same thing on the flagship mobile phones that they once ruthlessly mocked Apple for.
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    The interesting thing to me is that Samsung didn't pull that ad months ago. They had to know that the headphone jack was going to be removed from their own product, right?

I suppose it's possible they weren't really thinking about it until other people started pointing out the existence of that ad in the first place.
    jahbladeMacQcmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverFileMakerFellerAppleExposedkevin keeolscornchippscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Advertising is like Politics (sorry). They both try to convince you they know what is best for you and then flip on you and tell you what was bad in now good and good is now bad.
    jahbladesuperklotongeorgie01n2itivguybigtdsGG1AppleExposeddewmecornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Feel Sorry for Samsung eating it's own words.
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    The interesting thing to me is that Samsung didn't pull that ad months ago. They had to know that the headphone jack was going to be removed from their own product, right?

I suppose it's possible they weren't really thinking about it until other people started pointing out the existence of that ad in the first place.
    My guess is they thought if they removed those ad's, it would let people know that they were removing that port and they wanted to wait for as long as possible before people would find out. Now what is their excuse in removing the port?
    MacQcFileMakerFellerAppleExposedpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 52
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    Wonder if the new phone includes a dongle for wired earbud users?
    AppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 52
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Apple leads, the knockoffs follow. 
    edited August 2019 pbruttojahbladeMacQcsuperklotonMacProGG1viclauyyclolliverchasmAppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 52
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Samsung oh the shame. Removing headphone jack you are. Wonder who will mock you now?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 8 of 52
    iMaKiMaK Posts: 9member
    Maybe Apple should make a commercial about people mocking other companies and then end up doing the thing themselves that the mocked the other company for.

But......I know Apple is bigger person and they would never do that. They move forward and never look back because they know they have nothing to worry about. 
    anantksundaramsuperklotonlolliverrevenantAppleExposedcornchipqwerty52watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 52
    P-DogNCP-DogNC Posts: 37member
    Hypocrites! It is far easier (and cheaper) to let others trail-blaze for you. Samsung lacks “courage”.
    lolliverAppleExposedlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Such third-rate fools...
    AppleExposedcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    iMaK said:
    Maybe Apple should make a commercial about people mocking other companies and then end up doing the thing themselves that the mocked the other company for.

But......I know Apple is bigger person and they would never do that. They move forward and never look back because they know they have nothing to worry about. 
    What great idea.

But zero chance, I am guessing, since pretty much all of Apple's commercials have become utterly anodyne and passive under Cook.
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 52
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    iMaK said:

What great idea.

But zero chance, I am guessing, since pretty much all of Apple's commercials have become utterly anodyne and passive under Cook.
    Also, it would call attention to what is still a pretty unpopular move and remind people that Apple started the trend in the first place.  I mean honestly, does anyone outside of Apple (and, apparently, Samsung) REALLY think that trading a headphone jack for making the phone a sliver thinner is a good trade?
    tokyojimumuthuk_vanalingamviclauyycIreneW
  • Reply 13 of 52
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Some companies lead, some companies follow....
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 52
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    maltz said:
    iMaK said:

What great idea.

Also, it would call attention to what is still a pretty unpopular move and remind people that Apple started the trend in the first place.  I mean honestly, does anyone outside of Apple (and, apparently, Samsung) REALLY think that trading a headphone jack for making the phone a sliver thinner is a good trade?
    Boy, your thoughts are thin (pun intended).
    - production cost
    - repair costs
    - one less point of failure
    - and.... wait for it.... IP68
    - just romeving something what provides every year decreasing mariganal value
    - and definetly somethnig more than what I could think of. E.g. whou would have thought that removenig CD-ROM from a laptop would ever be a good idea?
    king editor the grateRayz2016lolliverAppleExposedwatto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 15 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    To be honest, Apple is probably the only company that could have done this - many people (myself included) are more or less locked into the Apple ecosystem so getting an Android phone would be a significant undertaking (I actually did consider it when it was time to replace my 6s.) I know for a fact that there are a lot of people still unhappy with the lack of a headphone jack but grudgingly put up with it because it’s better than moving to an Android phone. (Essentially, it’s Apple deciding for us what we want)

Android manufacturers, on the other hand have the problem of competition. If LG switched all their phones, people could easily find a comparable Samsung, or Motorola, etc.  No one minds that the headphone jack is there, but a lot of people mind if it’s not.  (I read a review of phones on Tom’s Hardware and under “Cons” it listed no-headphone jack. In spite of what some people here try to claim, the headphone jack is not a useless artifact that is only used by a few luddites.)

Now, what Apple needs to do is switch the iPhone to USB C. THere’s no advantage of the lightning port over USB C and as many/most Android phones are switching to USB C, there are a lot of advantages to having a standard across all cell phones, not to mention across Apple’s product line.
    muthuk_vanalingamviclauyyclarrya
  • Reply 16 of 52
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    That’s both hilarious and predictable. 

And, to be clear, as long as there’s a port, there’s a headphone port!
    edited August 2019 lollivercornchippscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 52
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Why include something few people would actually use?  Wireless headphone sales surpassed wired 4 years ago, and these days you're more likely to spot a unicorn that someone with wires dangling from their head. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member

maltz said:
    iMaK said:

What great idea.

Everyone who is not among the minority of wired headphone users. Most of us have moved on.
    lolliverwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 19 of 52
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    flydog said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Why include something few people would actually use?  Wireless headphone sales surpassed wired 4 years ago, and these days you're more likely to spot a unicorn that someone with wires dangling from their head. 
    Can you cite your sources please?
    bigtdsavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 52
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    urahara said:
    maltz said:
    iMaK said:

What great idea.

Boy, your thoughts are thin (pun intended).
    - production cost
    - repair costs
    - one less point of failure
    - and.... wait for it.... IP68
    - just romeving something what provides every year decreasing mariganal value
    - and definetly somethnig more than what I could think of. E.g. whou would have thought that removenig CD-ROM from a laptop would ever be a good idea?
    - cost savings was a few dollars and not passed to the consumer, so I doubt anyone (as I said) outside of Apple cares about that
    - you can't replace just the headphone jack, so again, a moot point to anyone outside of Apple
    - A broken headphone jack is no worse than a missing one, so this isn't really an argument for removing it.
    - removing the headphone jack is not a prerequisite for IP68 - phones exist that have both
    - This is a effectively a restatement of the first point
    - Removing A from B isn't necessarily an argument for removing C from D.  (But to your point, there were many good reasons to remove optical drives from laptops: weight, size, obsolescence - a 1/8" inch headphone jack has none of those problems, except perhaps negligible size/weight.)

All that said, my main point was really my first sentence, which stands regardless of whether removing the headphone jack was justified or not.  The removal of the headphone jack was VERY poorly received at the time, even by many Apple fans, and they're mocked for it to this day, so it's still not a reaction they'd want to remind people of in their advertising.
    MplsPlarrya