Apple Card opened up to more users ahead of official launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:
    Thanks for the info.  Ultimately, it's Goldman Sachs' call, not Apple's, although Apple could pressure GS on the issue, should they choose.  I agree with @GeorgeBMac, being incompatible with Quicken is a non-starter for many people and really unacceptable in this day and age. If you have more than one card (most people do,) software such as Quicken, Moneydance or Banktivity is the best way to keep track and make sure you don't miss things. My wife has a store card that won't import and we simply don't use it for that reason.

Apple Card transaction information is not available to online personal finance aggregators like Mint.com.

I have been using Quicken since the Nineties, Mint.com years before it was acquired by Intuit.

In my mind, it's a major oversight and disappointment. I really don't care what my spending categories are on any given card. What I care about is the aggregate view. If 10% of my Apple Card purchases are at coffee shops, that number is meaningless because I may be using other forms of payment at coffee shops (in fact, my usual mom-and-pop coffee shop is a cash only business).

It's really bizarre Goldman Sachs didn't make this happen. After all, they purchased the Clarity Money service a direct competitor to Mint.com. Apple Card isn't supported by Clarity Money either (I logged back into my account and looked). Clarity Money still hasn't added my credit union where I have three accounts (checking, savings, credit card) even though I submitted a request about three years ago.

If I recall correctly, another personal finance aggregator Personal Capital doesn't support cash transactions. Great, the $40 I spend at my weekly farmers market is a black hole as well as the $7 I spend weekly at the mom-and-pop coffee shop.

It's amazing that in 2019 these financial service businesses are still run by myopic blockheads.
    Not a bug. A feature. I suspect Apple will offer a competing service, all wrapped up in a moniker of "trust us, the people dedicated to your privacy. Unlike those others." And ya know, I don't use these Intuit, Quicken, mint services. I've no need for them. But I might look at an offering from Apple. Because...well...I trust them. To a point. 
    kaitain4lostkiwi
  • Reply 42 of 73
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    This is a good example why it is unwise to run a beta operating system on a primary device.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Are people able to get the card on iOS 13? Most of what I've seen they're on 12.4. 
    12.4 only. 
    How do you know 12.4 only. I can’t find anything that says that?
    Because:

1) I work here and have been following it
    2) We've tried it in iOS 13 and it doesn't work
    and
    3) The functionality hasn't been added by Apple yet, and they've told us so.
    Well damn! I guess I upgraded today to Beta 6 for nothing. I was hoping that’s what it was. I’ll have to go back to 12. BTW, I really am liking 13.
    Toby,

I can confirm Apple Card works on iOS 13 beta 6. 
    tobylwilliscecil4444llamaFrehley
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    pfuss1283 said:
    Are people able to get the card on iOS 13? Most of what I've seen they're on 12.4. 
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Well damn! I guess I upgraded today to Beta 6 for nothing. I was hoping that’s what it was. I’ll have to go back to 12. BTW, I really am liking 13.
    Toby,

It didn't on B5. Apple told us that the Card may work, but application probably won't.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pfuss1283 said:
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Toby,

It didn't on B5. Apple told us that the Card may work, but application probably won't.
    I can get the initial splash screen, but the application fails to load with iOS 13b6.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    Does anyone know specifics on which credit check company(ies) they use? I'd rather not unfreeze all of them if it's not necessary.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Toby,

I can get the initial splash screen, but the application fails to load with iOS 13b6.
    App works fine so far, but I've only used it for one transaction. I was however, able to set Express Transit, and a bank account by importing the information that was provided via Apple Cash.

In terms of notifications, I received no 'preview invitation' via email, and the Wallet screen looked exactly the same after pressing the "+" and then "Continue" buttons, until this morning when the option for Apple Card appeared under the typical 'Add a card' text.

Just wanted to share my experience for Toby and others.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    eightzero said:
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:
    Thanks for the info.  Ultimately, it's Goldman Sachs' call, not Apple's, although Apple could pressure GS on the issue, should they choose.  I agree with @GeorgeBMac, being incompatible with Quicken is a non-starter for many people and really unacceptable in this day and age. If you have more than one card (most people do,) software such as Quicken, Moneydance or Banktivity is the best way to keep track and make sure you don't miss things. My wife has a store card that won't import and we simply don't use it for that reason.

Apple Card transaction information is not available to online personal finance aggregators like Mint.com.

I have been using Quicken since the Nineties, Mint.com years before it was acquired by Intuit.

In my mind, it's a major oversight and disappointment. I really don't care what my spending categories are on any given card. What I care about is the aggregate view. If 10% of my Apple Card purchases are at coffee shops, that number is meaningless because I may be using other forms of payment at coffee shops (in fact, my usual mom-and-pop coffee shop is a cash only business).

It's really bizarre Goldman Sachs didn't make this happen. After all, they purchased the Clarity Money service a direct competitor to Mint.com. Apple Card isn't supported by Clarity Money either (I logged back into my account and looked). Clarity Money still hasn't added my credit union where I have three accounts (checking, savings, credit card) even though I submitted a request about three years ago.

If I recall correctly, another personal finance aggregator Personal Capital doesn't support cash transactions. Great, the $40 I spend at my weekly farmers market is a black hole as well as the $7 I spend weekly at the mom-and-pop coffee shop.

It's amazing that in 2019 these financial service businesses are still run by myopic blockheads.
    Not a bug. A feature. I suspect Apple will offer a competing service, all wrapped up in a moniker of "trust us, the people dedicated to your privacy. Unlike those others." And ya know, I don't use these Intuit, Quicken, mint services. I've no need for them. But I might look at an offering from Apple. Because...well...I trust them. To a point. 
    Keep repeating that until you believe it. I’m always amazed how people can try to claim the lack of features is a feature. You’d probably claim the lack of a radio in a car is a feature, too, because it would just distract your driving and cause hearing damage. 

I don’t use quicken but I do use other software. The data is downloaded directly to my computer, and the software vendor has nothing to do with it. It imparts no more risk than being able to log on to the bank’s website and download your statement. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 49 of 73
    mrboba1 said:
    Does anyone know specifics on which credit check company(ies) they use? I'd rather not unfreeze all of them if it's not necessary.
    Transunion.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 50 of 73
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    MplsP said:
    eightzero said:
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:

Keep repeating that until you believe it. I’m always amazed how people can try to claim the lack of features is a feature. You’d probably claim the lack of a radio in a car is a feature, too, because it would just distract your driving and cause hearing damage. 

I don’t use quicken but I do use other software. The data is downloaded directly to my computer, and the software vendor has nothing to do with it. It imparts no more risk than being able to log on to the bank’s website and download your statement. 
    Yes, keep repeating that "it imparts no more risk" part until you believe it. 
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 51 of 73
    pfuss1283 said:
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Toby,

App works fine so far, but I've only used it for one transaction. I was however, able to set Express Transit, and a bank account by importing the information that was provided via Apple Cash.

In terms of notifications, I received no 'preview invitation' via email, and the Wallet screen looked exactly the same after pressing the "+" and then "Continue" buttons, until this morning when the option for Apple Card appeared under the typical 'Add a card' text.

FYI: I’m referring to the application to signup for the card, not the Wallet app or the Apple Pay/NFC service in iOS.

edited August 2019
  • Reply 52 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    eightzero said:
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:

That would be good.   I'm no fan of Quicken -- it's clunky and flaky.   But, if you want to keep your financial data on your computer and out of the cloud, it's the only game in town.

I would love to see Apple come out with a competing product to it.   But that would take years --- Quicken is an extensive application with many moving parts.   Plus, I fear that Apple would try to make it their standard simple and minimalist -- which would likely mean that it would be missing many features that are in Quicken.  

I won't hold my breath.   But I think it would be a GREAT addition to their ecosystem if they do it right.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 53 of 73
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Toby,

FYI: I’m referring to the application to signup for the card, not the Wallet app of the Apple Pay/NFC service in iOS.

Thanks Soli. If it helps clarify, I was able to apply via the Wallet app, and use it as intended on build 17A5556d. Maybe just a waiting game at this point?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    pfuss1283 said:
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    Soli said:
    pfuss1283 said:
    12.4 only. 
    Because:

and
    Toby,

FYI: I’m referring to the application to signup for the card, not the Wallet app of the Apple Pay/NFC service in iOS.

Thanks Soli. If it helps clarify, I was able to apply via the Wallet app, and use it as intended on build 17A5556d. Maybe just a waiting game at this point?
    Mike said that it’s not working with iOS 13 right now so I’ll have to wait.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    gutengel said:
    kaitain4 said:
    I got the invite letter yesterday and signed up. It took 2 tries, because I had a lock on my credit. I took that off and it took about a minute to sign up the second time. $10,000 with 12.99 APR. The physical card will get here in 5 days.
    What's your credit score?
    I haven't even looked. I never keep a balance, so it doesn't really matter to me.
  • Reply 56 of 73

MplsP said:
    Bebe said:
    High credit card interest rate is irrelevant if you are diligent of not leaving balances.
    Yes. If you’re using a credit card properly, the interest rate is irrelevant.

For the people who have theirs, I’m curious - Is getting a physical card optional? Also, a previous thread stated that the card wasn’t compatible with Quicken and other financial software. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

>>The physical card is an option. It asks if you want it, then if you do, tells you when to expect it. The setup is really a breeze.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    ronbo747 said:
    I got $40,000 credit limit and 12.99.  My credit score is 838.  Just an FYI if you didn’t notice or don’t have the card yet, if you tap on the card then select the options menu in the upper RH corner you’ll see Card information.  Select that and it gives you a credit card number along with exp date and security code for making purchases online.  This is a different card number than if you use Apple Pay directly from apple card.  I placed an order for a new iPad from Apple this morning using the credit card number and it works perfect.  I see the 3% cash back already.  
    Which iPad?
  • Reply 58 of 73
    kaitain4 said:
    gutengel said:
    kaitain4 said:
    I got the invite letter yesterday and signed up. It took 2 tries, because I had a lock on my credit. I took that off and it took about a minute to sign up the second time. $10,000 with 12.99 APR. The physical card will get here in 5 days.
    I haven't even looked. I never keep a balance, so it doesn't really matter to me.
    This is not a wise approach.

A quarter of Americans find something incorrect on their credit reports when they examine them for the first time. It is in your best interest as an American adult to periodically review your credit report to look for inconsistencies.

Here's an example: maybe one of your credit card issuers has reported a derogatory claiming that you were late on a payment. Perhaps they are wrong and you do in fact pay everything by the due date. But since you don't look at your credit report, you wouldn't find the error. Your credit score would suffer because of the incorrect derogatory. If you did review the credit report and found the bogus derogatory, you'd contact your credit card issuer's customer support desk and ask them to investigate and remove the derogatory.

Why does it matter? Because today it's not just lenders (mortgages, auto loans, etc.) who are looking at your credit report. Insurance companies, landlords, employers also look at your credit report.

And some day if you do want to buy a house and your credit is screwed up, it may cost you dearly. A 0.25% difference on a 30-year $600,000 mortgage is about $31,000 in additional interest. Lenders offer best rates to those with better credit scores.

Would you like to be penalized $85 per month for thirty years because you didn't give a carp about your credit score? Be my guest. You would basically be giving someone else more responsible a discount on their loan. The financially clueless pay for their irresponsibility with real money.

Even though you may think it's just a game, those are in fact the rules and whether or not you like what a credit report is, you are still subject to those rules because it is common practice.

But anyhow, keep your head buried in the sand. That's a great attitude toward life in general. 
    edited August 2019 lostkiwi
  • Reply 59 of 73
    mpantone said:
    kaitain4 said:
    gutengel said:
    kaitain4 said:
    This is not a wise approach.

A quarter of Americans find something incorrect on their credit reports when they examine them for the first time. It is in your best interest as an American adult to periodically review your credit report to look for inconsistencies.
    Looking at your credit history doesn't mean knowing your score. When you get your free, annual credit report from the 4 main bureaus (which I spread 3 months apart instead of doing them all once year and then save as a PDF in an documents folder) you won't get a credit score, you'll just see your accounts, current limits and balances, addresses associated with your SSN, credit inquires, and payment history,
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 60 of 73
    That's a completely moot point in 2019.

Pretty much all of the major credit card issuers will provide credit scores. Or you can use a service like Credit Karma apparently (which I have never used). Also, if you use a personal finance aggregator like Mint.com you can see the score. In the Mint.com app it is pretty prominent on the main screen of the iPhone app.

If you want to know your credit score in 2019, there are very easy and free ways to find it.

We aren't living in 1999 despite what you imagine.
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMac