Global notebook shipments up with Apple showing biggest growth

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2020
Apple's MacBooks have seen a considerable growth in global shipments in the second quarter over the same period in 2018, with TrendForce figures indicating the product line shipped 19.8% more units year-on-year, the highest among the other top notebook vendors.

Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.
Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.

During Apple's most recent quarterly results, the company declared that Mac revenue has gone up year-on-year for the third quarter, from $5.3 billion in the period in 2018 to $5.8 billion for 2019. While Apple elects not to reveal unit figures, data from analysts indicates the revenue rise is in tandem with shipment numbers.

The global rankings of notebook shipments for Q2 2019 from TrendForce ranks Apple in fifth place behind HO, Lenovo, Dell, and Acer in order from first to fourth. For the period, the analysts at Trendforce believe that Apple shipped 3.21 million MacBooks, which represents a year-on-year jump of 19.8% and a sequential quarter increase of 1.7%.

TrendForce notebook shipments Q3

Apple has the largest year-on-year increase of the table, with Acer and Lenovo the other two vendors seeing growth of 6.3% and 9.2% respectively. HP dropped 4.8% to 10.25 million units, while Dell went down 14.2% to 6.91 million, and Asus dipped 1.5% to 2.98 million, just behind Apple.

The industry as a whole is reckoned to have shipped 41.465 million notebooks, a year-on-year gain of 0.9% and a sequential quarterly increase of 7.4%.

TrendForce's data just concerns just the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro. As there is no way to split up how much of Apple's revenue is derived from MacBook family sales from the rest of the Mac product line, there is no good way to calculate an average selling price.

For the next quarter, TrendForce believes that Apple will grow to 3.85 million shipments, which would reflect a year-on-year increase of 14.8% if achieved. It also predicts that the 16-inch MacBook Pro will ship in the quarter, but that doesn't appear to be confirmed by anything unique to TrendForce, and is more indicative of previous rumors on the topic.

Apple is currently rumored to be preparing a new MacBook Pro model for launch, with a 16-inch variant thought to be arriving in October. Using an LCD display with a resolution of 3072 by 1920, the 16-inch model is tipped to replace the 15-inch version, but despite having a larger screen, it could have the same chassis as its outgoing stablemate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But … but … the keyboard falls to bits if you breathe on it!

Apple skimps on memory!
    There’s no parallel port!
    If Steve was alive he’d turn in his grave!
    It costs several times as much as something else!
    I know nothing about Apple, but I’d just like to say how totally fabulous Google is!
    I know nothing about anything but I’d just like to say how totally fabulous Huawei is!
    There’s a woman running retail!
    It’s too thin!
    I have to carry so many dongles my added mass is affecting local tide patterns!
    Why don’t they buy Netflix!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 
    edited August 2019 looplesscornchipwilliamlondonjdb8167MisterKitAppleExposedmacplusplusGG1macxpressP-DogNC
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Rayz2016 said:

Apple skimps on memory!
    I know nothing about Apple, but I’d just like to say how totally fabulous Google is!
    I know nothing about anything but I’d just like to say how totally fabulous Huawei is!
    It’s too thin!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 

This is accurate.
    AppleExposedwilliamlondonStrangeDayspscooter63chasmwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 16
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Just wait until they fix the broken keyboard, they’ll sell loads then to those that have waited years for them to fix it and even more to the poor bastards like me who bought one hoping it was all hot air and then realised that it truly is a broken design. 3 keyboard replacements in 14 months, what a bloody joke!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    saarek said:
    Just wait until they fix the broken keyboard, they’ll sell loads then to those that have waited years for them to fix it and even more to the poor bastards like me who bought one hoping it was all hot air and then realised that it truly is a broken design. 3 keyboard replacements in 14 months, what a bloody joke!
    As far as I can tell, it is mostly fixed. I have a 1 year old 2018 13” MacBook Pro and the keyboard is fine. While my one data point isn’t very relevant I’m not seeing a large number of complaints of failures on the 2018/2019 butterfly keyboards.

Anyone got real statistics?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    Rayz2016 said:

Apple skimps on memory!
    It’s too thin!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 
    Are you implying that Apple's keyboard fiasco was somehow misrepresented and that the keyboard was so great that it contributed to the increased sales? Very unlikely. Those who depend on Macs will eventually buy Macs. There is no denying that Apple's QA and product line is out of alignment with customer needs. Using your logic, one could argue that Windows is the best OS since it sold more than OSX or that PCs are better or even Android devices.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingammacike
  • Reply 6 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I feel like Mac will follow the same market path as iPad. After people realize how crappy the knockoffs are or how useless a companies supposed "innovation" is they'll migrate to Mac.

jdb8167 said:
    saarek said:
    As far as I can tell, it is mostly fixed. I have a 1 year old 2018 13” MacBook Pro and the keyboard is fine. While my one data point isn’t very relevant I’m not seeing a large number of complaints of failures on the 2018/2019 butterfly keyboards.

Anyone got real statistics?

We'll never get real statistics but the sensationalist articles and videos. Bendgate wasn't a big problem either but you'd think all iPHones were damaged.

My own anecdotal: My Macbook takes a BEATING and works as new. I don't think a Macbook exists that takes a beating like mine lol. I literally use it in industrial spaces, grab it by the screen and toss it around.

Rayz2016 said:

LOL.

Unfortunately Angela has left. Let's hope the new guy is good but I've learned no matter how good a person is(See: Tim Cook) people will bash them to the ground and could do a better job themselves.

I'm still surprised Apple hasn't fired everyone and replaced them with commenters from AppleInsider. /s
    StrangeDaystmayRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Rayz2016 said:

Apple skimps on memory!
    It’s too thin!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 
    Hahahaha! This is awesome!   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16

LOL.

Unfortunately Angela has left. Let's hope the new guy is good but I've learned no matter how good a person is(See: Tim Cook) people will bash them to the ground and could do a better job themselves.

I'm still surprised Apple hasn't fired everyone and replaced them with commenters from AppleInsider. /s
    The new “guy” is a woman - Deirdre O’Brien.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 16
    P-DogNC said:

LOL.

The new “guy” is a woman - Deirdre O’Brien.

Oops forgot all about her. LOL

• Reply 10 of 16
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Rayz, that was awesome... reminds me of that classic thread, "Rules of the Troll"... yours is a nice update/modernization :smiley: 
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/152839/rules-of-the-troll-wip/p1
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Rayz, that was awesome... reminds me of that classic thread, "Rules of the Troll"... yours is a nice update/modernization :smiley: 

"#18: When a product sells out, it is because supplies were artificially constrained to make it look successful."

The Google rep loves this one.

Also notice when the first post calls out the trolls they run and hide? They don't wanna reply because it would prove the post right. lol
    This is why I don't like these first posts sometimes. Kills the fun.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Rayz2016 said:

Apple skimps on memory!
    It’s too thin!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 
    post of the decade!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Notice how the people here constantly bitching about the keyboard are all silent now....Perhaps Apple was right and its really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member

"#18: When a product sells out, it is because supplies were artificially constrained to make it look successful."

The Google rep loves this one.

Also notice when the first post calls out the trolls they run and hide? They don't wanna reply because it would prove the post right. lol
    This is why I don't like these first posts sometimes. Kills the fun.
    Not at all. They often simply get ignored. A troll, by definition, is not going to be dissuaded in any way and, ironically, many would consider the post itself as trolling in the first place.

• Reply 15 of 16
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    macxpress said:
    Notice how the people here constantly bitching about the keyboard are all silent now....Perhaps Apple was right and its really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. 
    It might not be a big of a deal statistically but I passed on the option of a MBP deal recently mainly because of the risk of keyboard failure and the way it is integrated into the design.

I'll wait to see what the next design is like and in the meantime use the scissor mechanisms in my MBPs and MBA.

Ironically, it looks like the keyboard on the MBP died this morning. It's a 2011 machine and using the keyboard from an iMac until I can around to looking into if it can be resuscitated.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Rayz2016 said:

Apple skimps on memory!
    It’s too thin!
    Why does Apple hate me!

Thread summary.

You’re welcome. 

I’m off to the beach. 
    You're a genius.  That said, I was hoping to have civil discussions on the forum, but...