Apple Card opened up to more users ahead of official launch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mpantone said:
    That's a completely moot point in 2019.

Pretty much all of the major credit card issuers will provide credit scores. Or you can use a service like Credit Karma apparently (which I have never used). Also, if you use a personal finance aggregator like Mint.com you can see the score. In the Mint.com app it is pretty prominent on the main screen of the iPhone app.

If you want to know your credit score in 2019, there are very easy and free ways to find it.

We aren't living in 1999 despite what you imagine.
    Yes, my two main cards do that.   Plus each offers a basic level of Identity Theft protection by searching at least one credit agency for changes in your credit report.

As far as I have seen, the Apple Card will do neither of those:  neither report the credit score nor monitor for Identity Theft -- both of which are valuable services.   But then, you really only need one card doing that -- so if you have one already, the lack of it in the Apple Card won't matter.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mpantone said:
    That's a completely moot point in 2019.

Pretty much all of the major credit card issuers will provide credit scores. Or you can use a service like Credit Karma apparently (which I have never used). Also, if you use a personal finance aggregator like Mint.com you can see the score. In the Mint.com app it is pretty prominent on the main screen of the iPhone app.

If you want to know your credit score in 2019, there are very easy and free ways to find it.

We aren't living in 1999 despite what you imagine.
    Yes, my two main cards do that.   Plus each offers a basic level of Identity Theft protection by searching at least one credit agency for changes in your credit report.

As far as I have seen, the Apple Card will do neither of those:  neither report the credit score nor monitor for Identity Theft -- both of which are valuable services.   But then, you really only need one card doing that -- so if you have one already, the lack of it in the Apple Card won't matter.
    These companies tend to only get information for credit monitoring and identity theft from one credit bureau so you could use more than one card doing that if don't have a service that monitors all of them.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 63 of 73
    I am disappointed that Apple is not offering a 5% rebate on all Apple products purchased with their card.  They are only offering 3%.  So, is it a good value credit card?  If I were to purchase a $199 Apple TV on Amazon using my Amazon Prime card I will get back 5% on the purchase (or $9.95) versus only 3% from Apple (or $5.97).  A sleek titanium card or not, I look for best value when apply for or using credit cards.

• Reply 64 of 73
    FJERINA said:
    I am disappointed that Apple is not offering a 5% rebate on all Apple products purchased with their card.  They are only offering 3%.  So, is it a good value credit card?  If I were to purchase a $199 Apple TV on Amazon using my Amazon Prime card I will get back 5% on the purchase (or $9.95) versus only 3% from Apple (or $5.97).  A sleek titanium card or not, I look for best value when apply for or using credit cards.
    Then for your Amazon purchases YOU would use your Amazon CC. Why is that so hard to understand? I would've done the same thing, but now that I have a Costco card that 5% means nothing to me compared to getting (only 1% cash back annually plus)  several years of an extended warranty added to all my CE purchases.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Welcome the additional revenue stream this will open for Apple. Apparently it’s impossible for them to make enough profit for Wall Street to fairly value the stock.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 66 of 73
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    FJERINA said:
    A sleek titanium card or not, I look for best value when apply for or using credit cards.
    Which is why some people have a half-dozen or more different cards, choosing one of those different cards depending on the circumstance(s). That requires a little more process orientation than I care muster, and I'd probably have to create a spreadsheet in Numbers.

I am a little surprised I haven't seen more Grumpy Old Men decrying credit with the 'If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it!!' mantra.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    macgui said:
    FJERINA said:
    A sleek titanium card or not, I look for best value when apply for or using credit cards.
    Which is why some people have a half-dozen or more different cards, choosing one of those different cards depending on the circumstance(s). That requires a little more process orientation than I care muster, and I'd probably have to create a spreadsheet in Numbers.
    Just use a label maker to note on the front of each card what you get in reward points or percentage. Soon enough you'll know what type of establishment to use a specific card.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Received my physical card today. For some reason Apple FedEx’d overnight. I appreciate that but it wasn’t necessary LOL.

I have an iPhone X and the card instructions said to “Open wallet app and follow instructions.” This is interesting because I’ve seen videos where the instructions were to just “Wake iPhone and hold here.” That means that Apple is looking up what kind of iPhone you have and sending out activation cards depending on whether or not you have the new NFC chip that can work in the background.

Apple’s attention to detail is amazing.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 69 of 73
    DGMTTDGMTT Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What a cool card!  When I first opened the account it was titanium color in the app (same for everyone) and now that I'm using it, it's changing colors depending on what category the purchase was from!  I was wondering why it wasn't the rainbow mix like all of the promo pictures.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    mrboba1 said:
    Does anyone know specifics on which credit check company(ies) they use? I'd rather not unfreeze all of them if it's not necessary.
    Most posts on multiple sites say that the credit pull is through Transunion.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Frehley said:
    mrboba1 said:
    Does anyone know specifics on which credit check company(ies) they use? I'd rather not unfreeze all of them if it's not necessary.
    Most posts on multiple sites say that the credit pull is through Transunion.
    The newer FICO 9 from TransUnion, to be more specific.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    The approval process for me was easy. I got 17.99% APR with a credit line of $9,000. My credit score is 805. I have two other credit cards that I use so this is not the only card I have.