High-end 2019 Apple iPhone lineup may shift to 'Pro' branding

Posted:
in iPhone
A leaker with a brief but proven history is predicting that Apple will move the "Pro" name to at least one model of the 2019 iPhone lineup.

The rear cameras on dummy models of Apple's expected new iPhones
Predicted rear camera extrusions seen on dummy models of Apple's expected new iPhones

Twitter user "CoinX" has said that Apple will move the "Pro" marketing term over to one of the 2019 iPhone models. IF accurate, clearly the "Pro" model will be the highest-end model, but beyond the name, the leaker didn't provide any more information on what would make it so.

"Pro" for iPhone? Crazy naming schemes over the past few years.

— CoinX (@coiiiiiiiin)
The leaker does not have a long history, but has a generally accurate one. CoinX pegged the iPhone naming, the resurrection of the iPad mini line, the iPhone XS mass, and the symmetry differences between the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.

There are expected to be three models of whatever the 2019 iPhone lineup is called. So far, it is predicted that Apple will retain Lightning in the new model.

The range is thought to include one LCD iPhone and two OLED ones, and a recent render from a case manufacturer suggests a modification to the mute switch.

The new model is rumored to have a square camera cutout. The replacement for the iPhone XR is predicted to have two camera lenses, with the higher-end models having three, including a regular lens, a telephoto one and, new to the range, a wide-angle lens.

As well as the well-reported camera system, the higher-end new iPhones are expected to feature the ability to charge other devices. This is said to be similar to the functionality in the newly-announced Galaxy Note 10.

Apple is expected to reveal its new iPhones in September, as it generally does. Reports by Ming-Chi Kuo and others, suggest that Apple will wait until the release of the September 2020 iPhones to introduce 5G, and at the same time it will reduce the size of the notch needed for Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    schlackbluefire1chemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 102
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 75unconfirmed, member
    Long overdue in my opinion. Its the simplest way to streamline the naming scheme for their flagship products. Mac - also available in Mini and Pro. MacBook - also available in Mini and Pro. iPad - also available in Mini and Pro. iPhone - also available in Mini and Pro
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMacflyingdpschlackradarthekatwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Maybe I should call my little one-hand iPhone "SE Pro"
    williamlondonschlackJWSCentropyspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 102
    With rumors about Appel Pencil support it would make sense if XS Max gain that and become Pro. It would be strange to have Max and Pro. Whether there will be no price difference and Pro will cost as 2018 XS Max then is no reason for two models.
    edited August 2019 badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 102
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    "pro" seems ridiculous in a phone context. You dont have to be a professional to use a phone....
    qwerty52elijahgdysamoriamobirdflyingdpDAalsethviclauyycJWSCCheeseFreezeElCapitan
  • Reply 6 of 102
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    So what does a professional need out of a telephone that goes beyond the current models? I can only guess they will say the camera capabilities are professional quality.
    rossb2designrelijahgdysamoriaJWSCchaicka
  • Reply 7 of 102
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I find this unsurprising.
    When I was researching a new phone for my grandson I spoke with a rep in an Apple store and he described the Xs phones as "luxury" items (compared to the Xr).  And, that made sense:   The Xs & XsMax don't really do anything the Xr can do, they just do it better -- and better than most folks really need.

So yeh,  "Pro" really does fit the Xs line...
    watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 102
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Interesting thought. I share the other posters’ questions about what constitutes ‘pro’ for a phone or why someone would need a ‘pro’ phone, but that’s not really what it’s about. Like people posted in another thread, marketing is about image and making us believe we need something and the Pro label would simply be a high-end label. Given the sagging sales of the smartphone market as a whole, I’m sure a lot of smartphone makers are looking for ways to boost sales. 

Of course it would also create a problem, since Apple historically takes the previous year’s model, changes the memory and drops the price when they introduce the new model, but if they have a XII pro model, what do they do with the XI pro? Leave it? Rename it XI without the pro?
    entropyschemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 102
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Apple wants to further eliminate meaning behind the term “pro”?

So tired of this nonsense.
    flyingdpviclauyycMplsP80s_Apple_Guymuthuk_vanalingambluefire1AI_liaschemengin1
  • Reply 10 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPhone Mini (5"), pls

and drop the numbers
    edited August 2019 entropysmuthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 102
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Slap Pro on the name and raise the price. Phil Schiller’s Apple.
    caladanianMplsPireland80s_Apple_GuyZirlinmuthuk_vanalingambluefire1dysamoriachaickaAI_lias
  • Reply 12 of 102
    I find this unsurprising.
    When I was researching a new phone for my grandson I spoke with a rep in an Apple store and he described the Xs phones as "luxury" items (compared to the Xr).  And, that made sense:   The Xs & XsMax don't really do anything the Xr can do, they just do it better -- and better than most folks really need.

So yeh,  "Pro" really does fit the Xs line...
    With that logic all iPhone are “luxury” items over their predecessors. My first iPhone .. iPhone2 sent texts browsed the web and... made phone calls !! 😂

The xs has more ram just like the other “pro” devices have... 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 102
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Apple Homepod™️ Pro
    Apple Watch™️ Pro
    Apple Airpods™️ Pro
    Apple Pencil™️ Pro

Anything else that can turn Pro? ;)

Oh, forgot
    "One more thing"
    Card™️ Pro
    edited August 2019 prismaticsviclauyycMplsPdysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 102
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Apple's new definition of a "Pro" are fashionistas, Instagram influencers and Kardashian wannabes... Pro tools for "Likes"
    MplsPmike54Stwertdisneylandmanchemengin1watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 102
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    roake said:
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    People say this every....single....year! And yet, people still buy one.
    StrangeDaysradarthekatpscooter63randominternetpersondysamoriachaickawatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 102
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Or Steve Jobs'....Or Tim Cook's, or Jeff Williams', etc....
    StrangeDaysRayz2016dysamoriadoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 102
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    roake said:
    Incremental, iterative iPhone improvements aren’t designed to make people upgrade every single year. Normal people don’t do that. Phone nerds like us may, but that isn’t how most people spend. The idea with iterative development is when you do upgrade, it will be much better than the model several past. That’s how we get from there to here. 
    Rayz2016entropysCheeseFreezeradarthekatroundaboutnowbluefire1dysamoriathtfrantisekmike1
  • Reply 18 of 102

rossb2 said:
    "pro" seems ridiculous in a phone context. You dont have to be a professional to use a phone....
    Nor do you have to be a professional (define?) to use an iPad. Or a MacBook. In Apple parlance, pro means higher-end. 
    radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonthtPickUrPoisonwatto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 102
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    roake said:
    I was in the same boat last year.  I have upgraded ever year since I owned the 3G, and last year was the first year I held onto my phone (the X) and didn't got with the Xs.  I figured the 2019 models would be good to wait for, but with what is coming through the rumor mill, I'm not sure I'll even upgrade this year (my X is going strong and shows no signs of being an old phone).  If the cameras blow me away, I will heavily consider it, but it might be worth waiting until 2020 when they possibly introduce 5G (and 5G has rolled out enough from the carriers to make it worth while).  Also, if the rumor about 3D Touch being removed from this year's line up is true, that might keep me from upgrading...i love that feature.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 102

Still grinding that axe, eh? As someone who follows multiple Apple websites and bloggers, you of course know that pro designates higher-tier models. Higher-tier models have more, do more, and cost more. For some reason you seem to pretend you’re entitled to the additional features without the additional cost. Very bizarre. 

If this rumor is true we’ll see what additional features they offer. If they offer an attractive value proposition, people will pay. If not, you’re free to get a different model, aren’t you?
    pscooter63muthuk_vanalingambb-15king editor the gratefastasleepwatto_cobra