Rumor: iPad Pro with triple-lens camera, iPad with dual-lens shooter to launch in October

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
An unconfirmed rumor out of China this week claims Apple plans to debut new iPad Pro and iPad variants in October, both of which will move from single-lens rear cameras to multi-sensor arrays.

Citing a Chinese supply chain source, Mac Otakara on Saturday reports Apple's next-generation iPad Pro could adopt a triple-lens camera array, while a 10.2-inch iPad might benefit from a dual-sensor solution similar to iPhone XS.

Both models are rumored to launch in October, the person said.

AppleInsider was unable to confirm the veracity of Mac Otakara's claims.

The Japanese publication has a decent track record in predicting Apple's hardware moves, often gleaning information from third-party case makers made privy to leaked schematics in the months prior to a major product unveiling.

As for the triple- and dual-lens iPads, Mac Otakara's source said diagrams of related accessories are currently "floating around." Whether the devices in question are official Apple products or third-party add-ons is unknown.

Adopting multi-sensor rear-facing cameras in two new iPads would be an unprecedented move for Apple, as the company has yet to migrate dual-lens shooters to its tablet line despite first integrating the technology in 2016's iPhone 7 Plus. The setup, which incorporates a wide-angle and "telephoto" lens, was later used in 2017's iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, and last year's iPhone XS and XS Max.

In February, noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted an iPad mini refresh and said he expected the existing 9.7-inch iPad, last updated in March 2018, to gain a 10.2-inch LCD screen. Apple subsequently released a revamped iPad mini in March alongside a new 10.5-inch iPad Air, the latter of which effectively usurped the second-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Apple's iPad Pro has not been updated since the line received a massive redesign with a full-face display and Face ID in October 2018, while the most recent 9.7-inch iPad variant saw release in March 2018. Both models are due for a refresh.

If today's rumor is true, Apple's iPad Pro and iPad lines will sport camera technology commensurate to that of their iPhone contemporaries for the first time. This year's top-end iPhone, anticipated to launch in September, is widely rumored to benefit from a triple-sensor camera design boasting a new super-wide angle lens.
applesnoranges

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    What’s the need for this? People don’t take pictures with their iPads 
    fh-acevirtualshifteriamjhdysamoriaanantksundaramtrashman69urahara
  • Reply 2 of 42
    As much as I believe in getting the most for your money and that this is of-course a possibility -- I just dont believe apple is going to pack the same sensors across their iOS/iPad OS devices. It would increase on manufacturing costs -- and with incoming tariffs that apple is already expected to absorb, Im skeptical of this rumor.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    If this dual/triple format helps with AR/VR it might make sense, but I don’t think people consider tablets as a go to device for taking photos, so not a big selling point in my book.
    virtualshiftanantksundaramtrashman69
  • Reply 4 of 42
    That's fair, I could never see myself holding an iPad Pro 11 or 13 for extended periods of time for any AR app tho. #maybeimjustlazy
    fh-ace said:
    If this dual/triple format helps with AR/VR it might make sense, but I don’t think people consider tablets as a go to device for taking photos, so not a big selling point in my book.
    netroxvirtualshift
  • Reply 5 of 42
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I don't care what features they add I'll never buy one 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 42
    dougd said:
    You’ll have to be a bit more specific...

I don’t care so much about cameras and FaceID, but IPad OS looks pretty sweet.  For a guy that doesn’t watch TV, but will watch a movie, read a book, read the news, listen to music, play a game, read emails, do banking, shopping etc. on my iPad... Apple’s IPad is pretty great.

IPad OS takes the functionality of the device (for many) into “pc replacement” range...

Apple iPad hardware rumors are just about incremental improvements, at first glance.

But Apple’s OS has been about stability the last year or two.  Maybe now, we’re starting to get an idea of Apple’s future vision for the device...

AR has underwhelmed, but maybe these camera (rumor) upgrades will lead to the “next big thing”...
    muthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3christopher126watto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 7 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    robertsm said:
    Okay, first up -- clearly none of the previous commenters live in tourist towns! News flash: they're not as popular as smartphones, but iPads are very popular cameras due to their enormous "viewfinder"!

Second, while I agree it might raise costs, standarizing the camera array on iPhones and iPads might make perfect sense for the economy of scale and the aforementioned VR/AR, and of course the iPad has very much lagged behind the iPhone on cameras for a while now. That said, I'm not sure I buy this rumour either -- but it is certainly plausible.
    caladanianapplesnorangesmacplusplustmayracerhomie3StrangeDaysbadmonkentropysmattinozchristopher126
  • Reply 8 of 42
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Personally, I'd value FaceID more than a better camera in an iPad.  Much more utility.

I was recently on a trip that included some of the most famous and most visited tourist attractions in Europe.  Didn't see a single person taking pictures with an iPad.

Not "very popular" in my experience.
    robertsm
  • Reply 9 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This actually sounds interesting as Improved cameras would be a good thing.  No they don’t get daily use but if they aren’t there they don’t get used at all.   

However cameras are not what will will get me to buy a new iPad!    I’d have to see Apple become more reasonable with pricing especially with models containing increased storage.  That and I really need to see what iPad OS finally ships with feature wise.  I’m not convinced that they have over come the inherent weakness of iOS yet.   The operating system on iPad is a huge limitation so this move to iPad OS is a big deal.  

Hardware should be interesting!   We should see a 30% or better performance increase. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    smsmsmsm Posts: 12member
    58mm is not a telephoto lens. This is a made up fantasy by Apple. It is just a standard lens. Just because it is longer then the typical 25 to 30mm phones have come with does not make it a telephoto. Tired of the marketing tactic that just keeps getting repeated. When Apple provides a 70mm or longer lens now what are they going to call that Supertelephoto?
    williamlondonanantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Ain’t happening. Four years time, maybe.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    dougd said:
    Because you're so important we give a fuck? Get your ego in check, ffs.
    Nigel_Sracerhomie3anantksundaramStrangeDayschiawatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 13 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    ...joined by the iPhone Pro. ;)
  • Reply 14 of 42
    philuphilu Posts: 13member
    I would gladly pay less to have an iPad Pro without any camera except what’s needed for Face ID. 
    robertsm
  • Reply 15 of 42
    rossb2rossb2 Posts: 89member
    robertsm said:
    unfortunately they do, I see people doing it on holidays, and they look ridiculous holding up their ipads LOL
    dysamoriaStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    robertsm said:
    Yes, they do.  And unfortunately, they do it at music festivals while standing in front of me. 
    dysamoriafh-aceStrangeDayschiawatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 17 of 42
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why did you use the word “shooter” in the headline? It seems really inappropriate.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    robertsm said:
    A lot of Android owners have iPads. iOS offers more convenience than Android in terms of shooting, editing and storing videos and photos.
    racerhomie3sidricthevikingcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    robertsm said:
    Heh, heh. Boy, are you ever wrong!
    racerhomie3StrangeDayschiawatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 20 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

LGBTuser said:
    As much as I believe in getting the most for your money and that this is of-course a possibility -- I just dont believe apple is going to pack the same sensors across their iOS/iPad OS devices. It would increase on manufacturing costs -- and with incoming tariffs that apple is already expected to absorb, Im skeptical of this rumor.
    And that’s the only reason Apple hasn’t usually kept an iPad camera up to the phone camera.

its all about cost, folks. Nothing else. I know it’s popular among some snobs out there to think that “nobody” uses their iPad to take pictures or movies with, but they’re wrong. I’ve seen it more than a few times myself, and I’ve even done it a few times.
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra