High-end 2019 Apple iPhone lineup may shift to 'Pro' branding

Comments

• Reply 41 of 102
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    “Pro” means pencil support.

Which would make sense for the iPhone formally known as Max.
    macpluspluscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 102
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I have never liked the 'pro' moniker. Sure, a high end Mac will mostly only be bought by people who use it in a professional context, but my guess is that's there are more professionals that use non-pro Macs than use pro-Macs. It is obviously just marketing but it has always come across as somewhat foolish and 'cheap', to me. 
  • Reply 43 of 102
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    roake said:
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    Incremental, iterative iPhone improvements aren’t designed to make people upgrade every single year. Normal people don’t do that. Phone nerds like us may, but that isn’t how most people spend. The idea with iterative development is when you do upgrade, it will be much better than the model several past. That’s how we get from there to here. 
    I have purchased an iPhone almost every year side 2009!  With the exception of the 7 and the Xs. I am thinking of just waiting til 2020 for the next true redesign. It’s apparent to me Apple has switched to a 3 year redesign cycle!

If Apple uses pro for the iPhone, then I feel it’s official that Apple will go with the iPhone and iPhone pro and no #s or additives. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 44 of 102
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    rossb2 said:
    "pro" seems ridiculous in a phone context. You dont have to be a professional to use a phone....
    This may come as a shock to you, but the name "pro" on something is a marketing marker to denote more power/potential and/or price. That's it.

To those of us out here actually doing pro work, the word "pro" is short for "professional," meaning "someone who is trained and skilled and gets paid for their work." Since that meaning of "pro" can't apply to machines, "pro" has always been a marketing moniker to attract the attention of professionals, but can be important to literally any kind of customer.

It's nearly 2020, and I'm having to explain this to people.
    andrewj5790GeorgeBMacradarthekatroundaboutnowpscooter63muthuk_vanalingammike54cornchipjohnbsiriusfastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 102
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sflocal said:
    What is a “Pro” phone?  Doesn’t make sense to me.
     One that costs more.
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingammike54cornchipdysamoriachemengin1
  • Reply 46 of 102
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    FWIW, my prediction: the iPhone 11 "Pro" (aka the next-gen Xs) will have Apple Pencil support and possibly even a USB-C connector. The others will not and have a Lightning connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 102
    Pro.......... for an iPhone? Seriously - this would be straight up laughable. Other than the nutty camera assembly, this word "PRO" is more of an excuse to charge "MORE" for a phone. The hubris of Apple to continue to charge more and more for these phones with no compelling reason other than a camera tweak here or there..... it's laughable. I hope they start haemorrhaging customers. I'm done.
    Zirlinmike54dysamoriawilliamlondon
  • Reply 48 of 102
    sflocal said:
     One that costs more.
    And does more, or does the same, faster or better. 
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowcornchipking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 102
    chemicle said:
    Pro.......... for an iPhone? Seriously - this would be straight up laughable. Other than the nutty camera assembly, this word "PRO" is more of an excuse to charge "MORE" for a phone. The hubris of Apple to continue to charge more and more for these phones with no compelling reason other than a camera tweak here or there..... it's laughable. I hope they start haemorrhaging customers. I'm done.
    *wave*
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowpscooter63cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 102
    Pro means USB C+120Hz screen.
    Give me these 2 features, even without 5G I'm sold.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 102
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    If I was to guess USB-C and OLED would be the differentiator.

Edit: and for an extra bonus, Pro exclusive emojis and Animojis!
    So your friends will know, you have a pro.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 52 of 102
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Rajka said:
    Pro means nothing any longer with Apple products. Well, not entirely; it generally means Apple is charging a higher Apple tax on that product so the customer can earn the privilege of buying one.
    Wrong. Pro has always, always meant better-tier product offering. Simply take a look at MBPs, iPad Pros. It’s a term they use to market their higher-equipped models. Always has been. 

Further, Apple products are less expensive than crappier computers when TCO is calculated. IBM and others have white papers on this. 
    edited August 2019 radarthekatroundaboutnowpscooter63muthuk_vanalingamcornchipwilliamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 102
    The iPhone Pro will include a Machine Learning chip that detects whether the end-user is calling friends to have work related, professional conversations.
    On the non-Pro models, these conversations will be replaced with real-time generated, casual chatter about the weather, sports and other non-Pro subjects. 

On a more serious note, a Pro phone to me would be dockable, and when it does, mirror iPadOS or MacOS on an external monitor. The chip is fast enough for it. 
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 54 of 102

sflocal said:
     One that costs more.
    Because it does more. More features mean more price. You don’t get to have more things for free just because you don’t like spending money. 
    muthuk_vanalingamcornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 102

chemicle said:
    Bubbye. 

What’s more laughable are the trolls frothing at the mouth at rumors, while also denying reality. “Apple is arrogant! Apple is clueless! I’m mad!”
    edited August 2019 radarthekatroundaboutnowpscooter63cornchipwilliamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 102
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    chemicle said:
    Done so soon?  After only 16 comments?  You’ll be greatly missed.

Perhaps as another poster suggested Apple will branch iOS to provide some capabilities valued by those who use their iPhone in both a work and personal context.  Would that not argue in favor of the term ‘pro’ for the model that supports those capabilities?  
    roundaboutnowcornchipking editor the gratewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 102
    chemicle said:
    What’s laughable is a person that does not like a particular product wishing the manufacturer to fail...

If BMW doesn’t have a car you like, do you wish them to fail? Most people would just buy a Mercedes or Audi.

Don’t go away angry, just go away!
    Soliradarthekatcornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 102
    mobird said:
    Apple Homepod™️ Pro
    Apple Watch™️ Pro
    Apple Airpods™️ Pro
    Apple Pencil™️ Pro

Anything else that can turn Pro? ;)

Oh, forgot
    "One more thing"
    Card™️ Pro
    The dongles.
    mobird
  • Reply 59 of 102
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    roake said:
    I have purchased a new iPhone every year since 2007.  This time, though, none of the rumors include a compelling reason to upgrade.  Hopefully, Apple has a surprise or two in store for us.
    Incremental, iterative iPhone improvements aren’t designed to make people upgrade every single year. Normal people don’t do that. Phone nerds like us may, but that isn’t how most people spend. The idea with iterative development is when you do upgrade, it will be much better than the model several past. That’s how we get from there to here. 
    I agree with everything you said.  However, up until last year, the upgrades were still pretty exciting, to me at least.  I did upgrade last year, but that’s the first time it felt, “bleh.”  This year, I find myself hoping that we will see an exciting new feature from the camera other than just adding an additional lens to slightly improve the photo.  I would love to see time-of-flight mediated 3D photographs.

They have occasionally kept something a complete surprise, like the 64-bit processors, Metal, etc.  Hopefully, there is something like that that hasn’t already leaked.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 102

sflocal said:
     One that costs more.
    Because it does more. More features mean more price. You don’t get to have more things for free just because you don’t like spending money. 
    It's really hard to argue the base 13"MacBook Pro has more features. It's a base unit with a whole lot less. Apple overuses the word Pro IMO. Using it on the true high end models would make sense at least. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoriawatto_cobra