Rumor: iPad Pro with triple-lens camera, iPad with dual-lens shooter to launch in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

smsm said:
    58mm is not a telephoto lens. This is a made up fantasy by Apple. It is just a standard lens. Just because it is longer then the typical 25 to 30mm phones have come with does not make it a telephoto. Tired of the marketing tactic that just keeps getting repeated. When Apple provides a 70mm or longer lens now what are they going to call that Supertelephoto?
    Where did this nonsense come from? Quoting a post from another thread instead of just saying it yourself? You know, that doesn’t give it more credibility than the not credible post did in the first place. 

Let me lay it out. Way back when, when making lenses was very hard to do well, it was decided that a lens whose focal length was the diagonal of the film, would give “normal” perspective (it turns out that that’s not entirely true, for reasons I’m not going to delve into here). In other words, pictures would look about the same as how we see,. So normal lenses were from about 45mm to about 58mm, depending on how much talent, time and money could be spent on it. The shorter lenses were harder to do.

but then people turned to 35mm, because photography changed, and most people were no longer taking half length shots of people, but rather group shots, and street shots and so starting around the 1970’s, “normal” moved closer to 35mm.

then a lot of people were putting the newer, faster 28mm lenses on instead.

with smartphones, because we can’t just change lenses, slightly wider lenses are afixed instead, because digital zoom (actually, cropping) has to start from the wide end, and people take a lot of indoor shots of a lot of people, or people close up. Additionally, landscapes are usually better with wider lenses, Images from which you can crop.

so, yes, for current smartphones, 26-28mm is “normal”, and 56 is tele. Will that change, maybe as cameras continue to evolve. but not now.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42

Nigel_S said:
    dougd said:
    I don't care what features they add I'll never buy one 
    Because you're so important we give a fuck? Get your ego in check, ffs.
    IKR? What an egotistical TROLL.

Move along, fucktard.
    I think that when some people make stupid comments such as: “I’ll never buy that.” And leave it at that, without giving some reasonable explanation, they are trolling.  There’s no doubt, particularly when they have a very low post count. When I was a global mod here for several years, I had to decide how to deal with it. Some people come here just for the purpose of trolling, by making some quick comment they know will frustrate, and anger members. Someone always decide to retaliate. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just how they retaliate.
    chiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    robertsm said:
    What’s the need for this? People don’t take pictures with their iPads 
    I do. The Pros have excellent cameras. 
    OnPartyBusinesscornchipwatto_cobrasidrictheviking
  • Reply 24 of 42
    dysamoria said:
    Why did you use the word “shooter” in the headline? It seems really inappropriate.
    Common use at the moment, unfortunately. People like to 'drop' money on something or a software released is 'dropped' instead of, well, released. And shooter for camera. I think they are supposed to be more dynamic, exciting or macho or something. Like you say, this one seems particularly inappropriate right now  :(
    StrangeDaysMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    dougd said:
    I don't care what features they add I'll never buy one 
    Uh thanks for sharing. Any flavors of ice cream you don't like that I should be aware of?
    williamlondonchiaPickUrPoisonOnPartyBusinesscornchipwatto_cobraurahara
  • Reply 26 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

citpeks said:
    Personally, I'd value FaceID more than a better camera in an iPad.  Much more utility.

I was recently on a trip that included some of the most famous and most visited tourist attractions in Europe.  Didn't see a single person taking pictures with an iPad.

Not "very popular" in my experience.
    I see people doing it all the time at jazz concerts in New Orleans. These are older people, and they like being able to see easier in the big iPad viewfinder. Gruber of Daring Fireball has talked about it on his show many times and he's in Philadelphia. Get out more?
    edited August 2019 OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    robertsm said:
    A lot of Android owners have iPads. iOS offers more convenience than Android in terms of shooting, editing and storing videos and photos.
    I agree, iOS offers more editing options than the Android stores do. I think there's probably plenty of very good to excellent apps on both platforms but for sheer numbers and convenience iOS wins out. 
    sidricthevikingOnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 28 of 42
    robertsm said:
    You’re kidding, right?
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 29 of 42
    citpeks said:
    Personally, I'd value FaceID more than a better camera in an iPad.  Much more utility.

I was recently on a trip that included some of the most famous and most visited tourist attractions in Europe.  Didn't see a single person taking pictures with an iPad.

Obviously, the iPad is relatively unwieldy. But, with such a gorgeous and large display it makes a lot of sense to use it for images that you would like to work on immediately:  markup, editing and so on. I can see some very clear use cases for this. And, yes, I’ve taken dozens (if not many more) photos on my iPad Air 2 over the years. 
    OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 30 of 42
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    OK, I only do it in the privacy of my home, but I use the camera on my iPad.  It is especially usual for eBay selling and taking pictures of receipts and documents.

But no, never ever in public.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member

citpeks said:

I see people doing it all the time at jazz concerts in New Orleans. These are older people, and they like being able to see easier in the big iPad viewfinder. Gruber of Daring Fireball has talked about it on his show many times and he's in Philadelphia. Get out more?
    Five countries, eight cities, and places that garner tens of millions of visitors annually collectively.

Countless photos of people, places, and things taken.  I don't consider myself a shutterbug, but I added about 2800 photos to my camera roll.

Saw people shooting with SLRs and compacts, but overwhelmingly with phones; not a single tablet.  Not saying that doesn't occur, but as a feature, it's not going to drive sales or move the needle much, if at all, especially considering tablets have longer useful lives.

I'm confident in my sample and conclusions.

Try again.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 42
    robertsm said:
    It’s all about AR. 

And yes, people do take pics with iPad. People take pics with whatever device they have with them. When the iphone first came our, people said it took lousy pics and people wouldn’t take pics with it because they had a digital camera. Same logic. 

The iPad is an AR looking glass. Until AR glasses arrive. 
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 42
    The biggest reason for not doing this IMO is what happens to every one that spent $200 on the Apple Keyboards and $100 folio cases. The new camera will make them obsolete. I can see if this change came after 2 or years but not one, too much investment. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 42
    The iPad Air will get a dual camera before the entry level model would.

Also, I’d be very surprised if the iPad Pros were updated so quickly. Next month would be unprecedented. March 2020 or even September 2020 (awaiting an A14X) make more sense to me but who knows?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    My iPad is my main camera. Not in public though.

I'll be glad when they update the iPad Pro so I can buy one.
    I have both sizes of the current model but the 11" started stuttering and ignoring screen presses every now and then, it happened immediately after installing iOS 12.2 
    No amount factory resets or updates fix it.

The 11 connected to the WiFi at work for 3 months and then suddenly claimed the password was wrong even though it was correct and my old iPad worked fine.
    So I took the opportunity to buy the 12.9 and that connected to the WiFi fine for about 3 months before saying the password was wrong. None of my other non pro iPads have this problem and no one else at work has it either. No one else has an iPad Pro.

I hope the new model has the problems sorted.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    robertsm said:
    As others have stated, yes they do.

I see a fair number of people using iPads for pictures on Instagram and Snapchat.  And yes, they're often those kind of pictures.

Nonetheless, if one is doing the sort of work, having the camera and Photoshop/Affinity/Whatever on the same device makes it easy to shoot, adjust and publish.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not enthused by this, I'd prefer Apple take steps to discourage people from using iPads to take photographs.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    crowley said:
    Not enthused by this, I'd prefer Apple take steps to discourage people from using iPads to take photographs.
    Who would that benefit?  Besides people who will be blinded or permanently affected by some life altering affliction after viewing photographs taken with an iPad?  I mean, those are a given, after all. /s
  • Reply 39 of 42
    crowley said:
    I’m not sure that I understand why your strong preference against taking pictures with an iPad should extend to what others prefer to do.
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobrabeowulfschmidturahara
  • Reply 40 of 42
    melgross said:
    crowley said:
    I’m not sure that I understand why your strong preference against taking pictures with an iPad should extend to what others prefer to do.
    Why?  Because if you're not doing it my way, you're doing it wrong, that's why!

/s