Radar/Laser Detectors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know how radar works...how do laser detectors work?

radar is understandable, because it goes through the air, but laser is a single beam, i would think once its hitting ur car that you are already screwed

any help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Yeah, you're basically correct. If the policeman operating tho laser has bad aim then the detector might pick it up and you'll be OK, but that means he has to hit the laser detector, or that some sort of reflection from the beam has to hit it.

Usually they aim for the front license plate. If you remove that and have a very slopey car hood, you can basically be "stealth" from laser if it's very bright oulside. Since there are limits about how strong a laser transmission can be -- it can damage eyes, etc -- on a really bright day there can be enough ambient light that only a direct reflection will work. Plus, a slopey hood will cut down on reflections back to the cop and increase the chance of one hitting your detector.

Technically, a laser detector works the same as a radar detector. Both take advantage of the doppler effect, but the laser just uses a polarized/direct beam of much smaller wavelength.

Of course the best defense against a laser ar radar is to keep something between you and the cop. It's called the art of shadowing, and it's how I made it from DC to Durham, NC in 3 hours flat. (about 280 miles)
  • Reply 2 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ok thanks i was jw...cuz it seems laser detectors would be hard to overcome

not bad time...get a bike and you'll be there in 2
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

ok thanks i was jw...cuz it seems laser detectors would be hard to overcome

not bad time...get a bike and you'll be there in 2

Oh. . . I could have gotten there faster, but I usuall don't want to go to jail. There were 115miles that I did in a hour, drafting behind a C5 with an integra drafting behind me. I guess the two of us knew that he would be the one who got the shaft if there were a cop, since both of us can do 160+.

The fastest bike ever was the Norton 600, but it only went 192. bikes don't have really high top speeds since there's too much air resistance and not enough mass to plow through it.

And yes, the Norton was powered by a rotary engine.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    whaaaa? i believe bikes can go faster then 192 can't they? i mean the new ones are what 1200cc?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    You're right. . . But not by much. The current record is 203 mph, and it was on a heavily modified Ducati. Mass is a component in effective loss due to air drag. Motorcycles get punished with air drag.

Still, I'd shit my pants if I were going 120 on a bike.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Hey, I saw the Chrysler/Dodge Tomahawk at the Autoshow recently...and there's a good article about it in the current Popular Science. Long story short: not as cool as they make it sound.

Except it is!

WAY cool....looking.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    203mph top? no way!

how about this? (and thats without nitrous and turbos)

bikes could be faster - but you really don't want to (believe me).

this is not a car!

-once you are doing 150mph+:

-your eyes get glooed to the road (trying to stay on the track)

-the wind is incredible (even with proper fairings)

-and the thought of a jammed engine or tire burst is... well...

my top is 168mph.

i've seen it and thats enough for me.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    a little off topic - but i found a dragster bike that does 205.64 mph (331 km/h).

this has to be horror!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    it's getting better ! (335.99 kmh)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I really must wonder of the safety...like riding on the back of a rocket on that bike!
  • Reply 11 of 14
    and better! (336.45 km/h 209 mph)

-2800 cc (170 ci) harley davidson based engine

-fuelled by 96-100% nitromethane, added up with methanol

-estimated horse power is 600-650
  • Reply 12 of 14
    i like driving fast, but this is insane!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    The 203mph figure was from a streetable bike. If a drag bike can't make it much beyond that, then that's further proof that bikes can't get as fast as cars.

Quote:

Originally posted by peve

and better! (336.45 km/h 209 mph)

-2800 cc (170 ci) harley davidson based engine

-fuelled by 96-100% nitromethane, added up with methanol

-estimated horse power is 600-650

Minor league. That's a really shitty engine. There are 2622cc engines out there that run 700bhp on gasoline. . . and make good torque too.

From 1991. A modern side port version could make even more power.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The 203mph figure was from a streetable bike. If a drag bike can't make it much beyond that, then that's further proof that bikes can't get as fast as cars.

i think it's clear to anybody here that bikes can never reach car top speed.

4 wheels compaired to 2 wheels... hmmm

Quote:

Minor league. That's a really shitty engine. There are 2622cc engines out there that run 700bhp on gasoline. . . and make good torque too. From 1991. A modern side port version could make even more power.

sure.

why not rocket propelled?

i was talking about bikes based on standard engines.