Review: The BenQ EL2870U monitor is an inexpensive gateway into 4K & desktop HDR

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Thunderbolt displays are great and incredibly flexible, but are generally overkill for users just looking for 4K. Ostensibly aimed at gamers, the BenQ EL2870U 4K display is an affordable 4K display with good video connectivity options.

BenQ EL2870U display from the front. Note HDR button on the lower right
BenQ EL2870U display from the front. Note HDR button on the lower right

As the years have gone on, we've progressed from tiny cathode ray tubes, to bigger ones. Along the way, LCD interjected itself and was predominantly used for laptops at first, but as time wore on, and costs improved for consumers, the technology has is now dominant in the marketplace.

But, as the market has shifted away from desktops to laptops, we're back to small primary displays for our computers. Fortunately, it's easy to have a big LCD monitor at home for a fraction of the space and weight that it used to take.

Monitor shoppers are greeted by a wide range of prices and specifications. Apple's 6K Pro Display XDR sells for $4999. LG's UltraFine 5K retails for $1299, and the smaller 4K version sells for $799. But, 4K doesn't have to be super-expensive.

BenQ has been cranking out monitors for years. And, with Thunderbolt 3, it's easy to use one of their displays on a modern Mac. The BenQ EL2870U is no exception.

By the numbers

Before we start talking about real-world performance, talking about the specifications helps to give a better picture of what we're looking at.

The BenQ EL2870U uses a 28-inch TN panel capable of 10-bit native color depth. The backlight is W-LED edge-array. It is technically an HDR10 display with a button on the front to toggle it on and off -- but more on that in a bit.

Resolution is up to 3840x2160 and it can run at up to 60Hz, with explicit 24Hz support. This gives the display a pixel density of 157ppi -- not the same as the 15-inch MacBook Pro at 220.

The display has a 1000:1 native contrast ratio, and a brightness of 300 nit as compared to the 500 nit that the 15-inch MacBook Pro boasts. The speakers are adequate for system beeps, but at 2W per speaker and no air chamber to speak of, you don't want to use them for anything beyond system sounds, and maybe not even then.

Connectivity is provided by a pair of HDMI 2.0 ports, a single full-size DisplayPort 1.4 port, and a headphone jack for external speakers.

Connectivity options for the BenQ EL2870U monitor
Connectivity options for the BenQ EL2870U monitor

The display has standard bezels for this price class, about 3/4 of an inch on the sides, and a full inch on the bottom.

Unlike others in the class by Samsung and similar manufacturers, it does have holes for a 100mm VESA mount. It has a very small pitch on the display mount, up to about 5 degrees forward, and about 10 degrees backward. There is no height adjustment capability.

The power supply is internal, so no power brick here.

That HDR toggle button

The BenQ EL2870U will tell you with an on-screen pop-up if it has an HDR signal. You tap the one dedicated HDR mode button, and you're good to go -- in theory.

There is an HDR "spec." In televisions, the UHD alliance required LCD to produce more than 1000 nit peak brightness, and this is not that. But, this is also not a television viewed from six feet away or more.

There's not a lot to it, here, though. In our testing, we went from a brightness of about 281 nit in non-HDR mode, to about 335 with the HDR mode toggled.

In the interest of testing, we watched a series of HDR-10 videos from our Apple TV, and a Blu-Ray player. HDR-10 Titles watched on both delivery platforms included "Bad Times at the El Royale," "Bohemian Rhapsody," and "The Shape of Water."

Blu-Ray HDR-10 content included "Planet Earth II" -- as the Apple TV version isn't even in 4K.

There is a barely perceptible difference in overall video quality between the Apple TV content and the Blu-Ray presumably because of bitrate differences, amplified because we're viewing at about two feet away from the screen. In regards to HDR-10 or not, you can just see the difference between the two on the display. While there isn't a ton of difference between HDR and non, it is there -- and if you work or play on this monitor in a dim or dark room, the difference is more notable.

But, in an office with standard lighting or sunlight, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Blue light & environment sensing

Altering the color balance on a display for blue light protection is a polarizing topic. If you need color fidelity, then you don't use it.

The BenQ EL2870U has Brightness Intelligence Plus and Eye Care functions. The former uses a small sensor to evaluate the room's lighting, and will adjust the color temperature. The Eye Care feature uses a similar system to reduce blue light coming off the monitor.

As a general rule, it's hard to recommend either feature if you're creating graphical content, but do use at least the Eye Care feature if you're consuming. Regardless, both features are easily switchable with the on-screen display buttons underneath the lower right-hand bezel.

Connectivity

This is not a USB-C display, it won't power a connected MacBook Pro or iPad Pro without some help -- but it is easy enough to connect. We recommend one $18 USB-C to DisplayPort cable if you don't need charging and a different $26 cable if you do, for no other reason than to leave the HDMI ports for other devices, like an Xbox One, a gaming PC or similar.

About that Xbox One or connecting to a PC with an AMD card -- while not important for Mac users, the display supports AMD FreeSync. What this practically means is that the monitor isn't stuck on a 60Hz refresh. If the computer dips below 60Hz in a graphically intense scenario, the monitor will adjust on the fly, preventing vertical sync tearing, or other artifacts.

And, in regards to that gaming, BenQ advertises a 1 millisecond response time. This is good, but it is not the same as input lag induced by a combination of monitor response time and connectivity to a host device. Out of curiosity, we borrowed a tester, and found the average input lag across a few platforms directly connected to the monitor to be around 7 milliseconds -- which is good for 4K, and excellent for a monitor in this price range.

Realistic expectations

The BenQ EL2870U not a substitute for the Pro Display XDR, or a high-end reference display, nor is intended to be. It also can't quite stand up to the new version of LG's UltraFine 4K on features or specs, but for the price of one of those, you can have two of these. It doesn't have the same pixel density as the MacBook Pro Retina display -- but how much of a difference that makes varies very much user to user. For this and a few other reasons, for Mac users, the BenQ EL2870U gets a 3 out of 5 ranking, and a bit higher if you're Windows-centric with an AMD video card.

What it is, is an inexpensive gateway into 4K, and a toe-dip into HDR desktop monitors. The BenQ EL2870U is a lot of monitor real estate, at a captivating price, with decent color reproduction. And, it has ports that other Mac-centric displays don't have to make it easier to goof off with when working hours are done.

Apple is adding 4K HDR movie playback to macOS with Catalina in the fall, something that has been lacking to this point. The BenQ EL2870U is a good way to see if you want to spend a lot more money in the future on not just HDR content, but higher-end equipment at some point as well.

The BenQ EL2870U retails for $349, but is generally found on sale at Amazon for around $300. And, from a value perspective, this makes a big difference in regards to our thoughts on the total package.

Score: 4 out of 5.

While we've already been using the display for about four months, we're going to continue to evaluate the BenQ EL2870U going forward, to see how well it stands up to day-to-day usage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Opinion on one of these driven by a mac mini instead of a 27" 5K iMac?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    eightzero said:
    The 27-inch 5K has a higher pixel density and a better GPU driving the display. It'll work fine, and be pretty slick for day-to-day, but I'd avoid running anything that needs any real oomph behind it unless you go eGPU.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    eightzero said:
    The 27-inch 5K has a higher pixel density and a better GPU driving the display. It'll work fine, and be pretty slick for day-to-day, but I'd avoid running anything that needs any real oomph behind it unless you go eGPU.
    Here's hoping we get an internal GPU option for the new mini (vega?) as might be entirely possible and logical and was discontinued (downgraded) after the 2011 mini... Again I ask if simply an upgraded 27" TB (3) display @ 4K with scaling might have made far more sense than 5K 'for the rest of us' - perhaps the 24" 4K is a segue for so much debatable since the obvious challenges of that time...
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 4 of 29
    what about a 2015 MBP?  Does it work from TB2?  I guess I could drive it from the HDMI, but DP/TB is preferred if it works...
  • Reply 5 of 29
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    As a proGamer i love Benq monitors. Especially when i’m doing hurricane kicks and hadoukens ;) 
  • Reply 6 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Since we talk a lot about where Apple makes its computing devices, why don't we talk about where these peripheral makers make theirs?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    eightzero said:
    Thanks. Day to Day is my need, don't need oomph. I do like the idea of a long lasting, value priced display that can be attached to a CPU that can be upgraded. Understand I am currently using a 2009 27" iMac that is now frozen in time. I'm not a gamer, but do appreciate a nice looking display.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Since we talk a lot about where Apple makes its computing devices, why don't we talk about where these peripheral makers make theirs?
    Taiwan, China, and Mexico.
  • Reply 9 of 29

arthurba said:
    what about a 2015 MBP?  Does it work from TB2?  I guess I could drive it from the HDMI, but DP/TB is preferred if it works...
    Will be 4k30 for sure on MiniDisplayPort, and I’ll check to see if it will do 4K60 in the morning.

Edit in the morning: over HDMI the 2015 is running at 3840x2160 at 30Hz, and 60Hz with Mini DisplayPort. You do have to turn on MST in the on-screen display on the monitor, though.
    edited August 2019 eightzero
  • Reply 10 of 29

eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    Thanks. Day to Day is my need, don't need oomph. I do like the idea of a long lasting, value priced display that can be attached to a CPU that can be upgraded. Understand I am currently using a 2009 27" iMac that is now frozen in time. I'm not a gamer, but do appreciate a nice looking display.
    FWIW this display has a three year warranty.
    eightzero
  • Reply 11 of 29
    I run 4 40” 4K monitors, unfortunately not HDR, [Sceptre U405CV-UMS televisions] with KingOne USB-C to HDMI adapter cables and a Thunderbolt 3 hub from OWC on my 2017 MacBook Pro 15”.

That makes it hard to get excited about much. Got the monitors for $200 each on Amazon and couldn’t be happier. Why would I pay $349 for an indiscernible difference?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 12 of 29
    How can it be ”HDR” with 325nits when the lowest HDR spec demands brightness of at least 400 nits? Also paying $300 for a TN panel? Looks like Benq tried to get all the fancy ”4K HDR” labels on the box without delivering any of the quality to back them up. But hey! At least it’s cheap.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    I’ve used several of their monitors over the last couple of years and I’m currently using their SW series which are much more expensive, but overall the quality of their monitors is very good. Great color, plenty of brightness, lots of calibration options, some extra ports. 

Besides the tech specs on the display itself the build quality is solid and the stands are awesome. The calibration software leaves something to be desired, but I just end up using the software that cane with my colorimeter. 
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I tried BenQ in the past after reading a lot of rave reviews online about the price/quality and was underwhelmed. That 4K monitor bit the dust after about 2 1/2 years and the "screw in" stand design for that particular model was a poor choice structurally.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I run 4 40” 4K monitors, unfortunately not HDR, [Sceptre U405CV-UMS televisions] with KingOne USB-C to HDMI adapter cables and a Thunderbolt 3 hub from OWC on my 2017 MacBook Pro 15”.

That makes it hard to get excited about much. Got the monitors for $200 each on Amazon and couldn’t be happier. Why would I pay $349 for an indiscernible difference?
    Because it isn't indiscernible. The pixel density is a bit over one-half on the televisions versus this monitor, the television isn't as bright, the backlight is different on the TV and worse, and the response time on the television is much, much worse. I'm glad it works for you, and I like the specs as a television. I just don't like it as a monitor.

And, the present price on the televisions are about $400 each. They appear to be discontinued. Televisions in the same $200 price range that you paid have similar issues, though.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 29
    not_anton said:
    How can it be ”HDR” with 325nits when the lowest HDR spec demands brightness of at least 400 nits? Also paying $300 for a TN panel? Looks like Benq tried to get all the fancy ”4K HDR” labels on the box without delivering any of the quality to back them up. But hey! At least it’s cheap.
    This is addressed in the article.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I find the AOC U3277PWQU to be pretty awesome, at size & price point.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    The BenQ EL2870U uses a 28-inch TN panel capable of 10-bit native color depth. Really? Was that measured?
  • Reply 19 of 29
    nottorp said:
    The BenQ EL2870U uses a 28-inch TN panel capable of 10-bit native color depth. Really? Was that measured?
    Well, it's being reported to macOS and Windows as 10-bit and not 8+2 so, I'd say yes.
    edited August 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 29
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Why is that important? Everybody uses the same few places... 90% China...