Samsung removes ads mocking Apple after removing headphone jack

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 52
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,344member
    Did Samsung replace the headphone jack with anything? USB-C? I like having a headphone jack. Use AirPods but the batteries are good for about 3hrs max, now. I don't care for the charge one/use one/switch AirPod/charge that one/use the other one dance. I could carry a second pair, as it's more convenient than carrying two spare magazines.

    Instead I have a set of wired earbuds, just in case. At home I use wired earbuds because twice a week I make phone calls that are longer than the APs can handle.

    With a headphone jack, I can charge my phone and use earphones (because I need to) without resorting to a dongle. I like that. So I assume it would be a simple and smart thing for Samsung to use two USB-C ports. I'll miss the jack when I finally upgrade, but I'll get over it.
    MplsP
  • Reply 42 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,282member
    Like others have said, marketing and politics are one and the same - techniques to try to influence human decision making. To make a decision you must have a choice between two divisive and differentiated alternatives. The subject matter, e.g., in this case the headphone jack, is usually of secondary importance. As soon as Apple dropped the headphone jack it became a point of differentiation between Samsung and Apple and Samsung used it divisively to differentiate their products from Apple's. Over time the value Samsung derived for maintaining this specific point of differentiation subsided. Part of this reduction in differentiable value was driven by Apple's success with AirPods and the increasing market for truly wireless headphone products. Mobility and wires don't go well together.

    To Samsung's credit they made the logical choice to change based on cost-vs-benefit analysis. They took the headphone jack card off the table. They decided to slough off a minor embarrassment and move on to fight the next battle rather than to digging-in and fighting an old battle few people really cared about anymore. This is understandable and just the way marketing works. Apple did the same thing when it finally came around to producing "giant phones" after deriding them during the iPhone 4/5 era. Admitting one's mistakes and moving on when logic (and the market) demands it is a commendable attribute and one that I wish was more prevalent on the political front. 
    bigtdsmaltzpscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 52
    sandorsandor Posts: 654member

    sandor said:
    flydog said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wonder if the new phone includes a dongle for wired earbud users?
    Why include something few people would actually use?  Wireless headphone sales surpassed wired 4 years ago, and these days you're more likely to spot a unicorn that someone with wires dangling from their head. 
    Can you cite your sources please?
    Old news, son:

    https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/28/bluetooth-headphone-sales-surpass-others-for-first-time-with-apples-beats-in-top-spot
    Old or new is meaningless, properly citing sources makes your argument/stance more sound & is should be a basic tenet of discourse.
    maltz
  • Reply 44 of 52
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,344member
    dewme said:
    They took the headphone jack card off the table. They decided to slough off a minor embarrassment and move on to fight the next battle rather than to digging-in and fighting an old battle few people really cared about anymore.
    That's the amusing bit. As it's Samsung, minor embarrassment is the only reaction to not only dropping the jack, but pulling the ads mocking Apple. Business as usual. No kerflufal, not even a ripple in the vast majority of tech press, and certainly not in mainstream news.

    It took exploding batteries and an FAA ban to get press approaching what Apple got for removing the jack, and that was forgiven/forgotten pretty quickly.

    When Apple does it, it's doomed and Tim Cook needs to be replaced. I don't know if Samsung had planned this before Apple's move or if they were inspired by it. If the former, there's some marketing savvy in letting Apple take all the heat. The majority opinion is probably favorable to Samsung anyway, not really caring about the 'copying Apple' claims.
    pscooter63lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 52
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,282member
    macgui said:
    dewme said:
    They took the headphone jack card off the table. They decided to slough off a minor embarrassment and move on to fight the next battle rather than to digging-in and fighting an old battle few people really cared about anymore.
    That's the amusing bit. As it's Samsung, minor embarrassment is the only reaction to not only dropping the jack, but pulling the ads mocking Apple. Business as usual. No kerflufal, not even a ripple in the vast majority of tech press, and certainly not in mainstream news.

    It took exploding batteries and an FAA ban to get press approaching what Apple got for removing the jack, and that was forgiven/forgotten pretty quickly.

    When Apple does it, it's doomed and Tim Cook needs to be replaced. I don't know if Samsung had planned this before Apple's move or if they were inspired by it. If the former, there's some marketing savvy in letting Apple take all the heat. The majority opinion is probably favorable to Samsung anyway, not really caring about the 'copying Apple' claims.
    Apple and Samsung have never been graded on the same curve. Apple is always swimming in the deep end of the pool and is punished mightily for the slightest slip up. Samsung in the other hand is wading in the shallow end and always gets a participation trophy just for showing up, even when they poop in the pool.

    Logically you’d think that Apple gets criticized more harshly because much more is expected of them. But it’s more likely that a lot of folks just like to hate on Apple. I think a lot of this is traceable to the “I’m a Mac” commercials that portrayed PCs (and PC users by association) as being Neanderthals grappling with primitive tools compared to hipster Macs/Mac users. People don’t like being called clueless knuckle draggers when it comes to technology choices (or anything), especially when they know in their heart that there’s probably a bit of truth in the portrayal and a reason for their skinned knuckles. From a cognitive bias perspective this is a variation on the Backfire Effect. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,904member
    bigtds said:
    Apple leads, the knockoffs follow. 
    Not. Samsung uses USB C and iPhone doesn't. So will Apple be following Samsung when they introduce USB C? Your logic.
    I think you're intentionally missing the point. The protocol used by the port isn't the point -- ditching 100-year-old legacy analog for a more modern digital interface is the point. Dur.
    The battery in my car is a 100 year old design, as are the brakes. By your logic we should get rid of them simply because they are old. Your explanation also fails to explain why the headphone jack still exists in all iPads a d MacBooks. (I’ll give you a hint - because it’s useful and used)

    If if you could actually think beyond what Apple tells you to think you might be able consider a different viewpoint, but in all your posts here, I’ve never seen you say anything but the Apple party line, so I’m probably expecting a bit much. 
    larryamaltz
  • Reply 47 of 52
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,529member

    sandor said:
    flydog said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wonder if the new phone includes a dongle for wired earbud users?
    Why include something few people would actually use?  Wireless headphone sales surpassed wired 4 years ago, and these days you're more likely to spot a unicorn that someone with wires dangling from their head. 
    Can you cite your sources please?
    Old news, son:

    https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/28/bluetooth-headphone-sales-surpass-others-for-first-time-with-apples-beats-in-top-spot
    My reading of that article is that wireless represented 17% of unit sales. 
    sandor
  • Reply 48 of 52
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    iMaK said:
    Maybe Apple should make a commercial about people mocking other companies and then end up doing the thing themselves that the mocked the other company for.

    But......I know Apple is bigger person and they would never do that. They move forward and never look back because they know they have nothing to worry about. 
    With 8 people fully agreeing on you there, this article is written by a 'not so bigger person'.
    Soli
  • Reply 49 of 52
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,941member
    MplsP said:
    bigtds said:
    Apple leads, the knockoffs follow. 
    Not. Samsung uses USB C and iPhone doesn't. So will Apple be following Samsung when they introduce USB C? Your logic.
    I think you're intentionally missing the point. The protocol used by the port isn't the point -- ditching 100-year-old legacy analog for a more modern digital interface is the point. Dur.
    The battery in my car is a 100 year old design, as are the brakes. By your logic we should get rid of them simply because they are old. Your explanation also fails to explain why the headphone jack still exists in all iPads a d MacBooks. (I’ll give you a hint - because it’s useful and used)

    If if you could actually think beyond what Apple tells you to think you might be able consider a different viewpoint, but in all your posts here, I’ve never seen you say anything but the Apple party line, so I’m probably expecting a bit much. 
    Ah, but there’s a big difference between saying that things should be ditched because they’re old, and not being upset when an old standard is set aside. The battery in your car is probably not an open-cell lead-acid battery. That’s been refined and replaced. There’s also no longer a hand crank on the front of the car, which was once required to get the engine started. The brakes on your car are probably not drum brakes, are a lot more robust and have a lot less asbestos than original brakes on a Model T ford.

    Real estate inside an iPhone is at a premium. The single-purpose headphone jack uses a lot of real estate and is entirely redundant. The lightning port is smaller, multi-purposed and can send out the exact same analog signal to your headphones. There isn’t a logical case to keep holding sacred that much internal real estate when it is quite literally redundant, and a large percentage of users are already going wireless, anyway. 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 52
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,941member
    sandor said:
    AppleZulu said:
    It baffles me, the continued angst over the loss of the headphone jack. It’s a nineteenth century standard. Literally. If you travelled back in time and showed one to Thomas Edison, he’d remark on the miniaturization, but he’d know exactly what it is and what it does. 
    So is the electric automobile. 
    Literally. 


    I sincerely doubt that anyone other than a hobbyist is yearning for the world to go back to 19th century electric cars. If he could jump forward in time, Nicola Tesla would not look at a Tesla car with immediate recognition and know exactly what it does and how it works. He would immediately recognize an analog headphone jack, however. 

    The jack is a 19th century standard. Other than being smaller, it looks the same and does the same thing. A modern electric car uses batteries and electric motors and it has wheels, but other than those superficial similarities, it doesn’t much follow 19th century electric vehicle design. So, really, a Tesla or a Nissan Leaf are not literally 19th century standards, are they?
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Samsung’s mocking advertisement has been very lame and cheap to me last years. Everyone knows they stole the whole concept from Apple’s successful “I’m a Mac” campaign. Just endlessly recycling that idea has proven to be a pure lack of creativity.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.