partition formatting

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to format one partition of a FW hard drive to MS-DOS and another to Mac OS? It doesn't seem to let me do that in disk utility....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The reason that will never work in any OS (except linux, perhaps) is because the disk will have a Mac partitionmap and Mac HD drivers on it. So plug it into a PC and Tada! ... nothing.

Conversely, you could do the partitioning on a Pc and the mac wouldn't be able to read it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Question, why format a Mac drive to MS-DOS anyways?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Its portable and many of my friends have PCs, and can't read it in Mac OS format. Unfortunatly in MS DOS format, the disk doesn't like certain characters, and I don't really want to change the names of 3000 mp3s.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    If it is possible in Linux, like 1337_5L4Xx0R suggested it may, you could try to find a Linux application to do this with, and run it under X11... Just a shot in the dark.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    No, because the filesystem & partition map support is in the linux kernel. So unless you boot from linux, no dice.

Your best bet is to reformat your friend's computer and install linux on it without asking them first.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I've done that before, they use passwords now.