A future iPhone could lose the notch with light transmitting windows in the screen

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Google will be hard at work as of now designing Android without a notch as Samsung are banging their heads against the wall having just added it.  https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/11/7/18073054/samsung-notch-display-phones-coming
    Those hopeless style thieves and hacks are laughable.
    From the looks of those notches, you could fit all three of the different shapes inside Apple's notch.  Unless it's your contention that any style of notch, no matter the shape or size, has to be copied from Apple then I'm hard pressed to see the connection.  But if that it your contention, carry on.
    Considering that Samsung initially mocked having a notch in their ads, and now has notches...well, you can see the irony. Samsung yet again being stupid. 
    What gets me are the crappy phones that advertise that they don't have a notch and then use pop-up or flip-around camera modules so they can achieve an edge-to-edge display to the top all while hoping the prospective customer doesn't notice that they still have a chin at the bottom of the display.
    A small chin doesn't intrude into the viewable area of the screen.  That's part of the larger complaint about notches and cutouts.  
    Of course it does. The objective is to have the biggest screen in the smallest device. Having part of the device’s surface reserved for non-screen (eg, the forehead or the chin) directly affects that desired ratio. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

Soli said:
    Such a concept would eliminate the eye line issue of FaceTime where callers appear to look at the other participant's forehead, something Apple has attempted to solve in software
    Look at the other participant's *mouth, not forehead. You look beneath the camera, not above it. 
    Jesus Christ! Unless you're deaf and can read lips then you should not be focusing on someone's mouth when they're talking. Knowing there are socially awkward (minor issue) to perverse (major issue) people that look at a person's mouth over their eyes when talking makes me not to leave my house again.

Staring at someones mouth is not the solution. That's dumb.

People who are attracted to you tend to look at your mouth more often. There's nothing "perverse" about that. America has demonized people liking each other. It's natural, nothing wrong with it.
    There’s nothing wrong with liking other people. But being creepy or taking advantage of positions of power or authority does introduce problems. 
    SoliAppleExposedFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Of course I can see the irony of them mocking notches in the past and later implementing them.  Similar to the way Apple downplayed tech like NFC and OLED... right up until the moment they introduced them as flagship features.  But I wasn't questioning that, and you weren't claiming that.  I was talking about your style thief  comment.  Are you contending that merely having a notch means the idea was stolen from Apple?  Could be me, but the style of those notches resemble nothing that Apple has debuted.  
    Can you point me to a single ad that made fun of OLED and NFC as technologies? How about even an Apple exec that said OLED and NFC would never be in an Apple device because they inherently worse technologies than is what is currently used? You can't because that never happened. They simply waited for cost, capacity, asecurity, and need to line up that it made it a good time to either include a technology. By your reckoning Apple is against any '5G' cellular connectivity simply because they aren't first to include it. 
    Hmmm, let's see... when did Apple downplay OLED?  Could it have been here: https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-displays-theyre-awful-says-apples-ceo/
    Excerpt: Cook, speaking at an investor conference hosted by Goldman Sachs in San Francisco today, called the color saturation of OLED (organic light-emitting diode) displays "awful."  "If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from an OLED display," Cook said.

How 'bout NFC?  http://allthingsd.com/20120912/interview-phil-schiller-on-why-the-iphone-5-has-a-new-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/

Excerpt: "In an interview, Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said that Passbook alone does what most customers want and works without existing merchant payment systems. It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.” 

And? OLED was a poor solution for expensive devices that were expected to maintain good color for a long time. It still is for the cheaper end. Apple may not have had a solution for NFC when Schiller made that comment but they do now. You have egg on your face right now because you can't see the difference between "It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem" and "NFC sucks money balls and Apple will never adopt it."
    Heh.  You asked for evidence of disparagement.  I gave you evidence of disparagement.  Egg on my face?  You're the one trying to hide behind semantic hyperbole.  That's your prerogative. If you want to play semantic games, I'm not going to stand in your way.  
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 38
    CloudTalkin said: 
    Of course I can see the irony of them mocking notches in the past and later implementing them.  Similar to the way Apple downplayed tech like NFC and OLED... right up until the moment they introduced them as flagship features.  But I wasn't questioning that, and you weren't claiming that.  I was talking about your style thief  comment.  Are you contending that merely having a notch means the idea was stolen from Apple?  Could be me, but the style of those notches resemble nothing that Apple has debuted.  
    1) Apple didn’t leap to NFC or OLED, they just took their time implementing it as they have the largest mass market to support. If the tech isn’t where it needs to be (ex, color accuracy) or cost effective, they won’t do it until it is. That’s of course simply a technical matter, and not a design or philosophical decision. Samsung ads outright mock the things they later adopt. You don’t see the difference? Well, I can’t help everyone...

2) You are confused, I made no such “style thief” comment. Reread the comments to un-confuse yourself. 
    1. It would be nice if you didn't try to rephrase my words to suit your narrative.  I said nothing about Apple leaping to NFC or OLED.  Didn't even imply it.  I mean, my quote is right there.  I won't intentionally twist your words and I'd ask you to reciprocate.  There is nothing false in my quote regarding Apple downplaying tech until they decide to use it.  Soli asked for evidence and I provided it.  He decides to argue by trying to couch his rebuttal in hyperbolic semantics.  Samsung ads mock Apple's notch-they do something similar later.  Apple downplays tech they don't use-until they decide to use it later.  Those are differences without a distinction.  If you see it differently, who am I to disavow you of that notion.   

2. You're right.  That wasn't you who made the style comment.  That was Spam Sandwich.  My error.  Apologies.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Google will be hard at work as of now designing Android without a notch as Samsung are banging their heads against the wall having just added it.  https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/11/7/18073054/samsung-notch-display-phones-coming
    From the looks of those notches, you could fit all three of the different shapes inside Apple's notch.  Unless it's your contention that any style of notch, no matter the shape or size, has to be copied from Apple then I'm hard pressed to see the connection.  But if that it your contention, carry on.
    Considering that Samsung initially mocked having a notch in their ads, and now has notches...well, you can see the irony. Samsung yet again being stupid. 
    What gets me are the crappy phones that advertise that they don't have a notch and then use pop-up or flip-around camera modules so they can achieve an edge-to-edge display to the top all while hoping the prospective customer doesn't notice that they still have a chin at the bottom of the display.
    A small chin doesn't intrude into the viewable area of the screen.  That's part of the larger complaint about notches and cutouts.  
    Sure it does. A chin (or forehead) is just a notch that extends all the way across the device, thereby blocking considerably more usable space for a given height.
    So, the XR has a chin that goes right around the entire screen! ;-)
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Sure it does. A chin (or forehead) is just a notch that extends all the way across the device, thereby blocking considerably more usable space for a given height.
    I’ve been saying this for a long time. If the notch really bothers you that much, just think of it as them extending tabs up into the forehead rather than a notch down into the screen. No matter how you cut it, it maximizes the screen space. 

This is is just like Samsung mocking the absence of a headphone jack until they removed it themselves. 
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Such a concept would eliminate the eye line issue of FaceTime where callers appear to look at the other participant's forehead, something Apple has attempted to solve in software
    Look at the other participant's *mouth, not forehead. You look beneath the camera, not above it. 
    Jesus Christ! Unless you're deaf and can read lips then you should not be focusing on someone's mouth when they're talking. Knowing there are socially awkward (minor issue) to perverse (major issue) people that look at a person's mouth over their eyes when talking makes me not to leave my house again.

People who are attracted to you tend to look at your mouth more often. There's nothing "perverse" about that. America has demonized people liking each other. It's natural, nothing wrong with it.
    We've all read your posts rallying against women having equal rights.
    I've never rallied against equal rights. Quite the opposite.

Now what does ANY OF THAT have to do with the scientific FACT that people(both genders; equally) tend to look at your mouth when they're attracted to you? You want to believe anything A MAN does is "perverted" while conveniently excluding half the population for doing THE SAME THING.

Your white knighting is clouding your common sense and logic. THIS is also a scientific fact among males.

[Blocked link for some reason]

1. Aron, A., & Aron, E. N. (1986). Love and the expansion of self: Understanding attraction and satisfaction. New York: Hemisphere.Google Scholar

2. Aron, A., Fisher, H., Mashek, D. J., Strong, G., Li, H. F., & Brown, L. L. (2005). Reward, motivation, and emotion systems associated with early-stage intense romantic love. Journal of Neurophysiology, 94, 327–337.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

3. Aron, A., & Henkemeyer, L. (1995). Marital satisfaction and passionate love. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 12, 139–146.CrossRefGoogle Scholar

4. Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173–1182.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

5. Bartels, A., & Zeki, S. (2000). The neural basis of romantic love. NeuroReport, 11, 3829–3834.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

6. Baumeister, R. F., & Bratslvasky, E. (1999). Passion, intimacy, and time: Passionate love as a function of change in intimacy. Personality and social psychology review, 3, 49.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

7. Baumeister, R. F., Catanese, K. R., & Vohs, K. D. (2001). Is there a gender difference in strength of sex drive? Theoretical views, conceptual distinctions, and a review of relevant evidence. Personality and social psychology review, 5, 242–273.CrossRefGoogle Scholar

8. Baumeister, R. F., Schmeichel, B. J., & Vohs, K. D. (2007). Self-regulation and the executive function: The self as controlling agent. In K. W. Kruglanski & E. T. Higgins (Eds.), Social psychology: Handbook of basic principles (pp. 516–539). New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar

edited August 2019
  • Reply 28 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Soli said:

There’s nothing wrong with liking other people. But being creepy or taking advantage of positions of power or authority does introduce problems. 
    huh? where did this come from?

Of course only men are creepy... lol.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    What?  No notch!  But the notch gives the iPhone character...  If the notch is removed, all the tech-heads are going to have to find something else to hate and criticize about the iPhone.  Tsk, tsk.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

We've all read your posts rallying against women having equal rights.
    I've never rallied against equal rights. Quite the opposite.
    You have made many many comments against feminism on this tech site and made pejorative comments against men who are in favor of equal rights for both sexes.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 31 of 38

CloudTalkin said: 
    1) Apple didn’t leap to NFC or OLED, they just took their time implementing it as they have the largest mass market to support. If the tech isn’t where it needs to be (ex, color accuracy) or cost effective, they won’t do it until it is. That’s of course simply a technical matter, and not a design or philosophical decision. Samsung ads outright mock the things they later adopt. You don’t see the difference? Well, I can’t help everyone...

2) You are confused, I made no such “style thief” comment. Reread the comments to un-confuse yourself. 
    1. It would be nice if you didn't try to rephrase my words to suit your narrative.  I said nothing about Apple leaping to NFC or OLED.  Didn't even imply it.  I mean, my quote is right there.  I won't intentionally twist your words and I'd ask you to reciprocate.  There is nothing false in my quote regarding Apple downplaying tech until they decide to use it.  Soli asked for evidence and I provided it.  He decides to argue by trying to couch his rebuttal in hyperbolic semantics.  Samsung ads mock Apple's notch-they do something similar later.  Apple downplays tech they don't use-until they decide to use it later.  Those are differences without a distinction.  If you see it differently, who am I to disavow you of that notion.   

2. You're right.  That wasn't you who made the style comment.  That was Spam Sandwich.  My error.  Apologies.
    My request has not been met because you never found a single comment that implied that Apple would ever release a product using those technologies. The only example that would possibly work is Steve Jobs saying that video on an iPod is a bad idea when Apple did that to much success the next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Soli said:My request has not been met because you never found a single comment that implied that Apple would ever release a product using those technologies. The only example that would possibly work is Steve Jobs saying that video on an iPod is a bad idea when Apple did that to much success the next year.
    Wait.  Are you saying that I didn't provide you with a sufficient answer for your intentionally leading and narrowly defined statement? Tee hee.  I don't know anyone gullible enough to try to argue a negative.   I'm certainly not.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 38
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Yeah. “We’ve solved the problem…

…surprise!”

Given light-capture is such a premium consideration, I don’t see a conventional lens under the display working.  But capturing an unfocused image and applying a software lense…now that would be innovative.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38

Soli said:
    Can you point me to a single ad that made fun of OLED and NFC as technologies? How about even an Apple exec that said OLED and NFC would never be in an Apple device because they inherently worse technologies than is what is currently used? You can't because that never happened. They simply waited for cost, capacity, asecurity, and need to line up that it made it a good time to either include a technology. By your reckoning Apple is against any '5G' cellular connectivity simply because they aren't first to include it. 
    Hmmm, let's see... when did Apple downplay OLED?  Could it have been here: https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-displays-theyre-awful-says-apples-ceo/
    Excerpt: Cook, speaking at an investor conference hosted by Goldman Sachs in San Francisco today, called the color saturation of OLED (organic light-emitting diode) displays "awful."  "If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from an OLED display," Cook said.

How 'bout NFC?  http://allthingsd.com/20120912/interview-phil-schiller-on-why-the-iphone-5-has-a-new-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/

Excerpt: "In an interview, Apple Senior VP Phil Schiller said that Passbook alone does what most customers want and works without existing merchant payment systems. It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem, Schiller said. “Passbook does the kinds of things customers need today.” 

Here's a bonus from that same article.  Schiller downplaying wireless charging.  Note his reasoning for why it isn't a good idea:

Excerpt: As for wireless charging, Schiller notes that the wireless charging systems still have to be plugged into the wall, so it’s not clear how much convenience they add. The widely-adopted USB cord, meanwhile, can charge in wall outlets, computers and even on airplanes, he said.

“Having to create another device you have to plug into the wall is actually, for most situations, more complicated,” Schiller said.

Downplayed until adopted.

I can't really follow your 5G logic.  It makes no sense at all.  Apple hasn't downplayed 5G.  Apple just had no access to 5G chips.  We all know they're getting 5G chips from Qualcomm.  Please don't attribute that "logic" to my reckoning.  That's all you bud.  

OLED was awful until Apple got the colour profiles right (immediately copied by Samsung).
    NFC is still dubious, if contactless terminals hadn’t been pushed it wouldn’t have been worth adding. It should still be replaced by an iOS merchant/consumer tech like ApplePay over AirDrop (AirPay?).
    Qi charging is still a slow gimmick.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

And? OLED was a poor solution for expensive devices that were expected to maintain good color for a long time. It still is for the cheaper end. Apple may not have had a solution for NFC when Schiller made that comment but they do now. You have egg on your face right now because you can't see the difference between "It’s not clear that NFC is the solution to any current problem" and "NFC sucks money balls and Apple will never adopt it."
    Heh.  You asked for evidence of disparagement.  I gave you evidence of disparagement.  Egg on my face?  You're the one trying to hide behind semantic hyperbole.  That's your prerogative. If you want to play semantic games, I'm not going to stand in your way.  
    True - Apple dismissed OLED screens earlier on, so technically Soli was wrong, but one must also consider the fact that OLED as a technology evolved considerably, and early OLED displays were not nearly as good as current ones, so it’s not quite the same thing as Samsung criticizing removing the headphone jack or putting a notch in the screen then doing the exact thing themselves. Beyond that, Schiller’s comments weren’t necessarily a criticism of NFC as they were questioning its necessity. 

Soli’s general point is correct, though. To my knowledge, Apple has not made ads specifically criticizing other phone maker’s design only to turn around and include them in its own designs. 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

True - Apple dismissed OLED screens earlier on, so technically Soli was wrong, but one must also consider the fact that OLED as a technology evolved considerably, and early OLED displays were not nearly as good as current ones, so it’s not quite the same thing as Samsung criticizing removing the headphone jack or putting a notch in the screen then doing the exact thing themselves. Beyond that, Schiller’s comments weren’t necessarily a criticism of NFC as they were questioning its necessity. 

Soli’s general point is correct, though. To my knowledge, Apple has not made ads specifically criticizing other phone maker’s design only to turn around and include them in its own designs. 
    They did not dismiss the technology. I even argued long before the Apple Watch was announced that it would be an OLED display because of its intrinsic characteristics. That was not received well on this forum simply because it was a technology Apple hadn't yet utilized in a shipping product, not because Jobs or Cook had said they would never use it.

OLED and other technologies are not unlike Apple's move into '3G', '4G', and eventually '5G'. They won't be the first to use it but they will use it when cost, supply, capability, size, power management and quality all make it a feasible option. Does not being first and potentially making fun of devices that use a nascent technology that isn't a good fit for a quality device mean that it will never be ready? Of course not… unless you're a troll. We may even see Apple come out with a foldable device but it absolutely will not be the same failed technology that we've seen from Samsung.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 37 of 38
    mcdave said:
    OLED was awful until Apple got the colour profiles right (immediately copied by Samsung).
    NFC is still dubious, if contactless terminals hadn’t been pushed it wouldn’t have been worth adding. It should still be replaced by an iOS merchant/consumer tech like ApplePay over AirDrop (AirPay?).
    For the sake argument, let's say that what you wrote is true.  It's all irrelevant.  It doesn't change or refute anything I asserted.  All you're doing is trying to provide a reason for what Apple said/did.  Their reason was never in question.   I was asked about evidence of my assertion.  Evidence was provided.  Fairly simple.

MplsP said:
    CloudTalkin said:

To attempt to hide behind Apple didn't make an ad is semantic and disingenuous.  If the argument hinges on "it's wasn't an ad", it's an argument that isn't even worthy of being made imo.  We're all adults and we all understand context.  Samsung criticized notches and they ended up using them.  Apple criticized OLED, NFC (yes, calling into question the necessity of a product is a criticism), and wireless charging.  All things they ended up using.  Trying to excuse why they made the criticism doesn't change the fact that the criticism was made.  
    Help me here.  The criticism wasn't in an ad.  How is that somehow relevant or important?  Samsung cracked jokes in an ad.  Apple made direct statements in articles.  They essentially did the same thing, yet "ad" is somehow a defining difference?  Surely you see how silly that sounds.  It's about as silly as Soli's insistence on using that crutch of Apple never said they wouldn't use the tech.  Fact is no one claimed Apple said that.  It was simply a gotcha plot device created by Soli as a crutch.  

edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 38
    mcdave said:
    For the sake argument, let's say that what you wrote is true.  It's all irrelevant.  It doesn't change or refute anything I asserted.  All you're doing is trying to provide a reason for what Apple said/did.  Their reason was never in question.   I was asked about evidence of my assertion.  Evidence was provided.  Fairly simple.
    Simple in that your assertion totally ignores the fact that Cook took issue with specific aspects of the technologies mentioned rather than the technologies themselves.  In the case of OLED, Apple’s additional colour profiling resolved the colour inaccuracy issues.

Apple didn’t introduce OLED, they introduced OLED+Colour accuracy.
    Apple didn’t introduce NFC, they introduced Apple Pay which uses a locked-down NFC implementation.
    They did introduce Qi but failed to release the multi-device charger which makes me think their iPhone Qi implementation has some, now redundant, extras.

Nice use of mis-direction by the way.
    Soli